Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's Scrimmage

Started by RebelW, August 20, 2016, 06:21:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

The prognosis sure changed quickly on Dean. I'm glad he will be ready to go. When he's healthy he's a pretty good corner. Last year that toe slowed him down.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hawgrunner on August 20, 2016, 07:07:16 pm
>:(

Did you read the article? It made no mention of a specific player limping off the field in the scrimmage...unless I missed something. Only that "The last thing Bret Bielema and the Hogs needed on Saturday was to have several more players limp off the field. The numbers at running back and cornerback are fine, but lose one or two more and then not so fine."
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

FANONTHEHILL

There were no apparent injuries today.  I saw no one head to the trainer table.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hogs run wild

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 20, 2016, 07:45:34 pm
The prognosis sure changed quickly on Dean. I'm glad he will be ready to go. When he's healthy he's a pretty good corner. Last year that toe slowed him down.
"In some good news, it appears that senior cornerback D.J. Dean has gone from a redshirt candidate to returning on Tuesday. "
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

RebelW

CBB said in the press conference that he talked to Matt and we were clear. In other words there were no serious injuries. Just bumps and bruises you get from playing football. Lol

hawgrunner

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on August 20, 2016, 07:51:22 pm
Did you read the article? It made no mention of a specific player limping off the field in the scrimmage...unless I missed something. Only that "The last thing Bret Bielema and the Hogs needed on Saturday was to have several more players limp off the field. The numbers at running back and cornerback are fine, but lose one or two more and then not so fine."

yea, I just took it as we're weak in some area's.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hawgrunner on August 20, 2016, 09:51:09 pm
yea, I just took it as we're weak in some area's.

But the mean face emoji?  :)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

TheRazorback500

Good to see the secondary playing tighter coverage. We've got a lot of options on the D-line.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 20, 2016, 11:15:30 pm
Good to see the secondary playing tighter coverage. We've got a lot of options on the D-line.

Yeah.
Sounds like a lot of improvement with Rhoads.

I hope so.
This coming season will be a tough watch if we can't get the defense off the field.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

goodguytex

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 21, 2016, 02:17:48 am
Yeah.

I hope so.
This coming season will be a tough watch if we can't get the defense off the field.
We are too thin on defense still to stay on the field all game. Gotta make short work of the offenses we play. And our own offense needs to maximize opportunities.

ChitownHawg

Best part of the article:

The play of the secondary continued to reflect Paul Rhoads. No longer are the defensive backs giving up huge cushions to the wide receivers. They are playing much tighter coverage and several times during the scrimmage they were in perfect position to make plays.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Steef

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 21, 2016, 02:17:48 am
Yeah.

I hope so.
This coming season will be a tough watch if we can't get ...  KEEP...the defense off the field.

I believe this year's defense will do a fine job of getting off the field.

imo...The question will be...can our offense keep our defense off the field?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Steef on August 21, 2016, 06:19:13 am

I think so.
Having a new QB and a rebuilt OL concerns me.

However, AA was highly recruited and by all accounts, doing well.

Likewise highly recruited OLinemen, and BB is known for having good OLs, so I'm trusting for this to be ok for us as well.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

goodguytex

Quote from: Steef on August 21, 2016, 06:19:13 am

Legit concern. Often when you're breaking in a new QB, new Oline, new RBs, there are some growing pains. We have the receivers, but will AA be confident enough in the pocket to not make mental mistakes?

Will the Oline be solid enough to give the QB enough time to run the offense, deliver in the passing game? Will the RBs be good enough to pick up where AC left off? We just can't know that yet.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: goodguytex on August 21, 2016, 06:30:59 am
Legit concern. Often when you're breaking in a new QB, new Oline, new RBs, there are some growing pains. We have the receivers, but will AA be confident enough in the pocket to not make mental mistakes?

Will the Oline be solid enough to give the QB enough time to run the offense, deliver in the passing game? Will the RBs be good enough to pick up where AC left off? We just can't know that yet.

This is why I'm not predicting 10 wins.
I think we lose an early game we will regret at the end of the season because we'll have a dramatic improvement by the end.

I've predicted very close before, and I've been way off before, so take this for what it's worth.
Nada.
His response to me:

goodguytex

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 21, 2016, 06:37:10 am
This is why I'm not predicting 10 wins.
I think we lose an early game we will regret at the end of the season because we'll have a dramatic improvement by the end.

I've predicted very close before, and I've been way off before, so take this for what it's worth.
Nada.
I've been predicting 8 wins because I wonder about the TCU and Aggie games. Later in the year I think we will be a good team, but early on i just don't know.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: goodguytex on August 21, 2016, 06:46:29 am
I've been predicting 8 wins because I wonder about the TCU and Aggie games. Later in the year I think we will be a good team, but early on i just don't know.

Same.
I'm crossing my fingers to be happily surprised though.
And it's quite possible.
His response to me:

RebelW

I believe the OL will be fine. Colton Jackson should be fine ecspecially after LaTech so he will have some experience in a real game, but talent wise he'll be fine. He's having to block out DLine which is a big plus. RB is not really a hard position to pick up on, as long as your pass pro is up to par. I think we are fine there. I feel like I should be worried about AA but.... Everything I hear is that he's completely opposite than his big brother. Doesn't get rattled and plays better under pressure. Which is not normal and you can't coach that. I look back 2 years ago against Ole Miss when BA got hurt, he came in and floated a TD pass over a good ole miss defense. He walked off the bench and did what he was supposed to do. Everything about this team from the outside looking in makes people worry and count us out.. If you really get in depth of who we have and how they play and how they are coached.. I believe we are going to hit people in the mouth when they aren't expecting it, but I could just be a Bias Fan and delusional, we shall see!

Hoggish1

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 20, 2016, 11:15:30 pm

If this is true, we are in for a very good season because that D-line is going to get to the QB!

TheRazorback500

It seems like the DBs are getting into position to make plays. When they get there, I feel Rhoads is a good enough coach to help them with things like looking for the ball and ways to avoid interference flags.  Combine this with an improved pass rush and experience and depth at LB; our defense should be fine. We should be able to ground and pound some our first three games. We don't face an SEC-quality D line until A&M, and even theirs is soft in the middle IMO. Our schedule is set up well; AA should be able to ease into the offensive mix. I'm looking forward to a good season and praying for a minimum of injuries.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hawgrunner

I believe Allen will be a good QB and Enos will be good at putting him in positions to have success.  I think RB will be just fine because BB will personally see to that.  The O-line will be better starting off than last years group who were not ready to play football.  TE and WRs will be good enough to win a lot of games.  D line will be far improved.  The entire D backfield will be better but still not SEC championship caliber.  Special teams and the kickers?????????????who knows. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: 12247 on August 21, 2016, 11:39:34 am
I believe Allen will be a good QB and Enos will be good at putting him in positions to have success.  I think RB will be just fine because BB will personally see to that.  The O-line will be better starting off than last years group who were not ready to play football.  TE and WRs will be good enough to win a lot of games.  D line will be far improved.  The entire D backfield will be better but still not SEC championship caliber.  Special teams and the kickers?????????????who knows.

Has looked good so far in the FG department. If we can kick off past the 15 yard line this year I'll consider it an improvement.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeshaHog

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 21, 2016, 10:38:37 am
We should be able to ground and pound some our first three games. We don't face an SEC-quality D line until A&M, and even theirs is soft in the middle IMO. Our schedule is set up well; AA should be able to ease into the offensive mix. I'm looking forward to a good season and praying for a minimum of injuries.

:razorback:

I dont think TCU's defensive line will be anything to scoff at. Gary Patterson can always pull something together.

hawginbigd1

Shout out to Juan Day and Deandre Coley, really excited that Coley can push Ramirez and Liddell for PT. He is an Atwater type hitter. Would also be great to see Day be a healthy 4th or 5th team RB and be able to play teams.

hobhog

August 21, 2016, 02:18:30 pm #27 Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:26:51 pm by hobhog
Sounds like TJ Hammonds may get on field next week?!

Did I read that correctly in ADG today?

go hogues

Quote from: hobhog on August 21, 2016, 02:18:30 pm
Sounds like TJ Hamminds may get on field next week?!
Don't know him? Is he related to Kniles Davis or McTelvin Sosa?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: go hogues on August 21, 2016, 02:29:55 pm

Mallet
His response to me:

Mike_e

Quote from: go hogues on August 21, 2016, 02:29:55 pm

Yep and about 10 or 12 others.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

KlubhouseKonnected

Not sure what to make of a scrimmage report that says Hammonds may be in the mix at TB.

He's a redshirt lock unless we get devastated at TB during the season.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 21, 2016, 05:45:53 pm
Not sure what to make of a scrimmage report that says Hammonds may be in the mix at TB.

He's a redshirt lock unless we get devastated at TB during the season.

He could easily be our third best rb, come on now

a0ashle

The word "lock" sure has been watered down. It now means "I have a strong opinion".

Potosihog

Reading between the lines in practice reports I am still concerned about the oline.  We certainly have talent.  However, more than once it has been pointed out that our dline coach has been holding back for the sake of oline learning curve.  Anytime you have to handcuff part of your team to develop another, it is trouble.  Remember Petrino and the DBs?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 21, 2016, 05:49:36 pm
He could easily be our third best rb, come on now

Notwithstanding the surgery to repair the torn MCL?

ricepig

Quote from: Potosihog on August 21, 2016, 08:39:18 pm
Reading between the lines in practice reports I am still concerned about the oline.  We certainly have talent.  However, more than once it has been pointed out that our dline coach has been holding back for the sake of oline learning curve.  Anytime you have to handcuff part of your team to develop another, it is trouble.  Remember Petrino and the DBs?

We held back blitzes by our LB's in the first scrimmage, we still did d-line stunts. I've not read where we held anything back in scrimmage #2. Seeing how Ellis led us with 2 sacks in scrimmage #2, I'd say we were blitzing.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeshaHog on August 21, 2016, 12:32:24 pm

I dont think TCU's defensive line will be anything to scoff at. Gary Patterson can always pull something together.

Maybe not but here is what their front 4 returns. If we are effective in countering the quick, slashing style of their front 4, I think we will wear them down.

Pos         Career Starts   Career Games     2015 Tackles   2015 TFL    2015 Sacks   2015 PBU's
Carraway, 6-4,250  DE                20                   26                   31.5            10.5             9                2
Galeai, 6-5,235      DE                 0                     7                     5.5               1              1                0

Curry, 6-2,270        DT                8                    12                     26                4              3                0
Bradley, 6-2, 275    DT                9                    26                     16               4.5             2                1
Mitchell, 6-4,270     DT                0                     5                     3.5                1              0                0
Broadnax, 6-0,300   DT                0                     5                      2                1.5             0                0
Collier, 6-4,275       DT                0                     4                      0                 0               0                0

Additionally, the heaviest LB that they have returning is Summers at 235, the other 4 weigh anywhere from 210-215.

I can't see them holding up if we choose to impose our will on them between the tackles.
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2016, 08:55:50 pm
Maybe not but here is what their front 4 returns. If we are effective in countering the quick, slashing style of their front 4, I think we will wear them down.

Pos         Career Starts   Career Games     2015 Tackles   2015 TFL    2015 Sacks   2015 PBU's
Carraway, 6-4,250  DE                20                   26                   31.5            10.5             9                2
Galeai, 6-5,235      DE                 0                     7                     5.5               1              1                0

Curry, 6-2,270        DT                8                    12                     26                4              3                0
Bradley, 6-2, 275    DT                9                    26                     16               4.5             2                1
Mitchell, 6-4,270     DT                0                     5                     3.5                1              0                0
Broadnax, 6-0,300   DT                0                     5                      2                1.5             0                0
Collier, 6-4,275       DT                0                     4                      0                 0               0                0

Additionally, the heaviest LB that they have returning is Summers at 235, the other 4 weigh anywhere from 210-215.

I can't see them holding up if we choose to impose our will on them between the tackles.
The Wisconsin Rose Bowl game was the last time they beat a power run team! This defense is not that defense. Oklahoma and maybe Texas 2 years ago are really the only power run teams they have played, calling them power run teams is a stretch though compared to us or LSU or Bama.

Deep Shoat

I think people, pundits included, are undervaluing how important Dick Bumpas was to TCU's great defensive heritage.

He's retired and they aren't as good.
All Gas, No Brakes!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 21, 2016, 09:02:32 pm
The Wisconsin Rose Bowl game was the last time they beat a power run team! This defense is not that defense. Oklahoma and maybe Texas 2 years ago are really the only power run teams they have played, calling them power run teams is a stretch though compared to us or LSU or Bama.

I think that their defense is designed to counter the majority of pass-happy teams found in the Big 12. Their front 4 and LB's are generally light but very active.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2016, 08:55:50 pm

Maybe I'm selling them short.
Maybe they are a bunch of Javon Kearse's.

But what you said about the LB's being light and these light DLs.......I think come mid 3rd quarter, they're huffing and puffing.

This assumes our OL and run game has reloaded.
His response to me:

AugustaHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 21, 2016, 08:42:52 pm
Did I miss something?  I thought it was a meniscus?  Did something change?  If it's just a meniscus he should be good to go health wise.  He's so versatile I can't imagine him red shirting

onebadrubi

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 21, 2016, 10:59:26 pm
Did I miss something?  I thought it was a meniscus?  Did something change?  If it's just a meniscus he should be good to go health wise.  He's so versatile I can't imagine him red shirting

Just meniscus. He's already running in the pool and expected back I think this werk

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 21, 2016, 08:42:52 pm

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 21, 2016, 11:26:24 pm
Just meniscus. He's already running in the pool and expected back I think this werk

gotcha.

But yes, Kody is probably our third best rb but TJ might be better and if TJ is good enough to be our third best rb, even if he's fourth on the depth chart, I just can't imagine CBB red shirting him. 

GuvHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 22, 2016, 12:35:55 am
gotcha.

But yes, Kody is probably our third best rb but TJ might be better and if TJ is good enough to be our third best rb, even if he's fourth on the depth chart, I just can't imagine CBB red shirting him. 

If it turns out that Kody is the #4 RB, why would the coaches leave him there when he's the most experienced FB on the team??? Why not move him back to FB and start him there to get him on the field?? It would be the same as adding another returning starter.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Potosihog on August 21, 2016, 08:39:18 pm
Sometimes to work on something you can't have the D doing something that interferes with what you're doing. If you want to see how Skipper is dealing with an outside speed rush you wouldn't want the opposing end to stunt and come up the A gap

ChitownHawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 22, 2016, 12:35:55 am
gotcha.

I think CBB will just to give Kody the opportunity to play. He has earned that as a 6th year senior. I think the only way the redshirt comes off is if RWIII and DW get injured.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

theFlyingHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 22, 2016, 09:07:07 am
I think CBB will just to give Kody the opportunity to play. He has earned that as a 6th year senior. I think the only way the redshirt comes off is if RWIII and DW get injured.
Gotta figure Kody has an engraved invitation to our jumbo package

KlubhouseKonnected

Sorry, I misspoke.