Started by Palmetto Hog, August 20, 2016, 03:59:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog N Bama

Quote from: rhames on August 21, 2016, 01:01:27 pm

Probably because att is slowly going to convert everyone to DirecTV
Not me. Too much heavy rain here. :-\

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2016, 09:14:37 am
How many people under 60 still have a home phone? I cut ours out about 5 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. I probably should have sooner, but decided I might need the home phone for something other than robo calls.......
I'm in the medical field and kept the home until couple years ago just as a
back up for cell service when I am on call at the hospital.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawginbigd1

How many people under 60 still have a home phone? I cut ours out about 5 years ago and haven't missed it one bit. I probably should have sooner, but decided I might need the home phone for something other than robo calls.......
I don't think Arkansas is quite ready for this, too many areas with unreliable cell service. I have been with everybody in the last 15 years and I have had problems in the north central part of the state with reliable service. My parents live about 8 miles north of Morrilton and service is 50-50 at best.

hogfanboy2

Why I picked playstation vue over Sling TV (last spring)
1)as others mentioned, a more rounded selection of channels, I'm in the Chicago area so I pay $40 a month but I get live streams of the local networks channels.  I will bump my plan to the $45 during football season to get ESPNU and SEC Network, 
2) DVR function.  It's not TIVO, but I  can back up and see the last play.
3) Better menu system (well that is if you use the Amazon FireTV for playstation vue.  I can't stress this enough the Playstation APP on the FireTV is much better that the Roku APP, and the FireTV box has a faster CPU that the FIRETV Stick, thus faster menus)
4) Can use on more that 1 TV in the house.  I think SlingTV now has a multi stream option but not sure if that includes ESPN channels
5) Playstation Vue had more network apps you could access.  (I can access almost all the channels remotely by using the channels APP on my phone (CNN, ESPN.....)

If you cable provider has a monthly usage cap, make sure you turn off the stream before you turn off the TV  otherwise you would be eating away your usage cap
Sling does have the advantage of turning down the bandwidth if you have  monthly usage cap issues  (but when you turn down the bandwidth the picture quality suffers)

I use to pay $120 a month for Cable and internet now I pay  $38 for internet (from the cable company) and $40 for playstation vue. Total $78
The quoted price for the cable companies internet (30meg) was $55 for current customers  and $40 for new customers.  I told them to cancel my service, my wife and I or getting a divorce (not true) and she is staying in the house so she will call back and get the new customer price.  That is all it took to get down to $38. 

For a Home phone I use  google voice and a obihai box

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 21, 2016, 01:58:57 pm
I don't think Arkansas is quite ready for this, too many areas with unreliable cell service. I have been with everybody in the last 15 years and I have had problems in the north central part of the state with reliable service. My parents live about 8 miles north of Morrilton and service is 50-50 at best.

Probably true in the smaller town/rural areas.

rhames

Quote from: 31to6 on August 21, 2016, 01:12:40 pm
Their network can't keep up with the data demands so they want to push all the TV to satellite. It's not actually a bad strategy.

The problem that I have with all of those guys are: a) local monopolies b) ludicrous equipment rental fees for mediocre-at-best equipment and c) two-year contracts with obscene price hikes after the first year introductory rates expire.

If cable cutting and cable cost *exactly the same* I would still do it for the freedom and to give them the finger.

Thankfully, though, it is also much cheaper.

I think it has more to do with att owning direct tv than anything.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

31to6

Quote from: rhames on August 21, 2016, 02:23:55 pm
I think it has more to do with att owning direct tv than anything.
I've been following it. I have a bit of an inside perspective on ATT's challenges. They have an excellent infrastructure, but they are nonetheless struggling with the explosion of data. Our demands for bandwidth, quality of service and content are growing exponentially and it is very, very costly for them to keep up.

Moving a bunch of that *off* their DSL-based infrastructure while they try to get fiber pushed out is a huge cost savings.

rhames

Quote from: 31to6 on August 21, 2016, 03:46:32 pm
I've been following it. I have a bit of an inside perspective on ATT's challenges. They have an excellent infrastructure, but they are nonetheless struggling with the explosion of data. Our demands for bandwidth, quality of service and content are growing exponentially and it is very, very costly for them to keep up.

Moving a bunch of that *off* their DSL-based infrastructure while they try to get fiber pushed out is a huge cost savings.

Att owns direct TV and uverse

If they are telling u verse customers to switch to direct TV it's because they don't plan on it being a TV provider much longer. Uverse that is.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it fits the context of the original post I was quoting

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

31to6

rhames

Quote from: 31to6 on August 21, 2016, 04:03:54 pm
I know that.

Sorry. I think we were saying the same thing you just gave a more nuts and bolts version

livevanguy

I used a combination of SlingTV and the ESPN app on a Roku Stick. We have a 15mbps speed with Time Warner and usually have no issues. I'm in rural Washington State and if I had signal issues on one, I would switch to the other and be just fine. More often than not, I found myself using the ESPN app to avoid listening to commercials on SlingTV. All in All, we stopped  cable service when we moved here and have not missed it, nor a Hog game yet. 
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

jcbville

Quote from: Hammibal Lecter on August 20, 2016, 09:28:14 pm
PlayStation vue is another option, and has much better selection and a larger channel package. Both vue and sling have signed deals with the NFL and both will have NFL network and NFL redzone available in time for the season. They will be add ons and word is it will cost around $10 to add them both.

We run vue through Amazon FireTV and have had zero issues and love it. The caveat is we have great internet and everything is hard wired so no wifi BS. Picture quality has been top notch with zero difference other than a slight streaming delay(about 20 seconds behind live action, whereas satellite was only maybe 3-5 seconds behind).

Also have/use PlayStation Vue and it's been great. Better than sling by far. Don't regret it a bit.

FANONTHEHILL

Does Vue offer ESPN/SEC Network?  That's what caused us to go with Sling initially.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rhames

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 21, 2016, 04:46:37 pm
Does Vue offer ESPN/SEC Network?  That's what caused us to go with Sling initially.

I'm pretty sure it does.  It was one I was looking into before I decided to stay with direct tv.

TomasPistola

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 21, 2016, 04:46:37 pm

It does in Atlanta.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

trashcan maN

I just signed up for a week free trial of PS Vue, and yes it has all the ESPNs. Looks like I'll have to get an antenna to catch the CBS games though. Those are required viewing in my house.

lefty08

I watch the cbs games on their sports app for free, of course I shoot it to my TV using my chromecast
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

31to6

Quote from: rhames on August 21, 2016, 04:14:35 pm

Sorry. I think we were saying the same thing you just gave a more nuts and bolts version
Fair enough :)

BirmingHam

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 21, 2016, 06:37:35 pm
I just signed up for a week free trial of PS Vue, and yes it has all the ESPNs. Looks like I'll have to get an antenna to catch the CBS games though. Those are required viewing in my house.

I live in Rogers, and have a Lava 8008 omnidirectional antenna 4 feet above my roof.  I get a total of 46 channels on a clear day, several are repeats. But I can get channel 6 out of OK on clear days.

Next step is to decide whether to go to Sling, vue, or Kodi.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: BirmingHam on August 21, 2016, 07:32:59 pm
I live in Rogers, and have a Lava 8008 omnidirectional antenna 4 feet above my roof.  I get a total of 46 channels on a clear day, several are repeats. But I can get channel 6 out of OK on clear days.

Next step is to decide whether to go to Sling, vue, or Kodi.

Kodi on Amazon Fire TV Stick is great.

BirmingHam

Quote from: The Great Hambino on August 21, 2016, 07:34:20 pm
Kodi on Amazon Fire TV Stick is great.

Thanks, I only knew about Sling till reading this thread.  I'll research to see what offers everything the male and females in the house would want to watch.

hog.goblin

Quote from: murthage on August 21, 2016, 12:03:54 pm
Missed one of your questions..... You can only watch SlingTV on one device at a time in the US, unless you are transmitting the signal from that device to your HDTV, using AppleTV or something similar.

That's been the deal breaker for me.  I want to be able to watch the Hogs on any of my TVs that is available, comfortable, or has no background noise (kids).

The Great Hambino

Quote from: BirmingHam on August 21, 2016, 07:36:19 pm
Thanks, I only knew about Sling till reading this thread.  I'll research to see what offers everything the male and females in the house would want to watch.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-kodi-on-a-firestick/

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I have Sling for the ESPN Networks and SEC Network, I also have USTVnowplus for live streaming of network channels, ABC, NBC etc.  All costs me about $45.00 per month.   The good thing about USTV is you can upgrade and get unlimited cloud dvr storage.  I know how to break  an amazon fire stick and fire tv so I have KODI which is basically like free Netflix, all the movies and shows on demand I care to see............Oh yeah, Sling with Disney ESPN can only stream 1 tv at a time, USTV can stream up to 4.............

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

31to6

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on August 21, 2016, 08:28:54 pm

I have Sling for the ESPN Networks and SEC Network, I also have USTVnowplus for live streaming of network channels, ABC, NBC etc.  All costs me about $45.00 per month.   The good thing about USTV is you can upgrade and get unlimited cloud dvr storage.  I know how to break  an amazon fire stick and fire tv so I have KODI which is basically like free Netflix, all the movies and shows on demand I care to see............Oh yeah, Sling with Disney ESPN can only stream 1 tv at a time, USTV can stream up to 4.............

It is worth pointing out that Kodi is great software but provides no content in and of itself. What it provides is a system and user community that allows for add-ons that can obtain and display content. You can get a "loaded" setup or build it yourself and boom, everything you can imagine for free.

The provenance of that content ranges from truly public domain and free content to a lot of stuff that is pirated (stolen).

Not judging anyone. That is between you, your God and the DMCA.

But a cord-cutting newbie reading this thread might not understand the distinction.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 21, 2016, 01:58:57 pm

Was at Center Ridge a couple of months ago and had good connection on my cellphone and using wifi.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Thunderhog Jr

[/quote]
Quote from: 31to6 on August 21, 2016, 09:30:33 pm
It is worth pointing out that Kodi is great software but provides no content in and of itself. What it provides is a system and user community that allows for add-ons that can obtain and display content. You can get a "loaded" setup or build it yourself and boom, everything you can imagine for free.

The provenance of that content ranges from truly public domain and free content to a lot of stuff that is pirated (stolen).

Not judging anyone. That is between you, your God and the DMCA.

But a cord-cutting newbie reading this thread might not understand the distinction.

I understand about the pirated content, and have only run across 1 or 2 so far that were hot-linking and they were removed by the source, I mostly watch Exodus, Sling and USTVNOWPLUS, plus I'm good with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, no need to worry......

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

DeltaBoy

I looked into it but I love my DVR too much plus it frees me to go other thing on Saturdays like attending games where My Daughter is in the College Band.  So I get the best of both worlds and if I don't want to know the score I just stay off Facebook and Hogville.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 22, 2016, 09:20:36 am
I looked into it but I love my DVR too much plus it frees me to go other thing on Saturdays like attending games where My Daughter is in the College Band.  So I get the best of both worlds and if I don't want to know the score I just stay off Facebook and Hogville.

The dvr is a big deal in our house too. Plus, I will be honest, I read all these posts from people about having this device, plus this app, then having to use all the different network apps, then send it to my tv, and some of the services you can't watch on multiple tvs, and it is just not worth it to me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

If you want the simplicity of a DVR with a program guide that makes it easy to record shows, the TV industry has made sure you will pay through the nose for it.

You have to pay your ridiculously high monthly cable subscription. You probably pay a stupidly high price for a landline phone, because they make it easy for you. And you pay rental fees for crap like your cable boxes, DVRs, cable modem and awful-quality wireless router.

Man, they screw people who lack the slightest tech savvy.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2016, 12:43:31 pm
If you want the simplicity of a DVR with a program guide that makes it easy to record shows, the TV industry has made sure you will pay through the nose for it.

You have to pay your ridiculously high monthly cable subscription. You probably pay a stupidly high price for a landline phone, because they make it easy for you. And you pay rental fees for crap like your cable boxes, DVRs, cable modem and awful-quality wireless router.

That's the way, insult people. I am plenty tech savvy, and if I find something I can't figure out or do not want to mess with, my 18 yr old sure can handle it.

It's not that high of a price for something that's on 24/7/365. I can watch it on every tv in my house at the same time, I don't have to worry about streaming speeds or limits, and I don't have to go through my computer and then send it to my tv either, don't have to buy a xbox or a ps3 to get service either.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogwxld

I used sling last year for Hog games only. I didn't use the POS app they have because sling gets you access to WATCHESPN with the 5$ sports package. So between all of the ESPN channels and SEC Network being on WATCHESPN, I don't recall having to watch but maybe one game on CBS last year? but that was free on the CBS site.

Needless to say that was my plan until att and directv offered me a deal i couldnt refuse. but mostly because ive got thru everything decent to watch on NETFLIX already and my kids have too hah.

Kinda dreading getting TV back in the house. Ive been tv free for 4 years. Every fall cable guy would come around and turn the service on for 3 months, 4 if we hit a bowl and then off she went..

rhames

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2016, 12:43:31 pm

I don't have a landline

Bundle my Internet and direct tv. Own the modem. Do rent a 4k genie for direct tv. Have all the channels and nfl sunday ticket and I feel my bill is appropriate

I said earlier I ran the numbers if  I were to cut the cord and it wasn't too far off from what I pay now and not as many perks. It works for me.  Glad you found something that works for you.

The best thing for me to do is call every 2 years. When that stops working I'll look into something else.

Biggus Piggus

I have a friend who gets everything from his cable provider - including NFL Sunday Ticket - while paying about $100/mo. That is exactly what he did - threaten to leave every year, and negotiate.

In my situation, we simply had nobody in the house watching scheduled TV anymore. Nobody willing to DVR anything. All on-demand viewing. Cable on demand is crap. Only have so much time to watch TV - too many other demands. Have no time to waste surfing through a channel guide that's 80% garbage.

We first asked Comcast to switch our account to Internet only. They gave us a TV + Internet package that cost less than Internet alone. But nobody ever turned on the TV box. And shortly thereafter, Comcast's $40/month Internet went from 20 Mbps to 300. Sayonara.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Maybe it would be easier and less expensive if we all just went back to no TV at all.............I know a lot of youngsters that have NO tv service. Our son is a VP of a high tech company in Silicon Valley and has a 55 inch tv at home with no antenna or any type of tv service. It is used only to watch movies and for Skype and connected to their computer. It in effect is their computers large monitor.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2016, 01:33:39 pm
I have a friend who gets everything from his cable provider - including NFL Sunday Ticket - while paying about $100/mo. That is exactly what he did - threaten to leave every year, and negotiate.

In my situation, we simply had nobody in the house watching scheduled TV anymore. Nobody willing to DVR anything. All on-demand viewing. Cable on demand is crap. Only have so much time to watch TV - too many other demands. Have no time to waste surfing through a channel guide that's 80% garbage.

We first asked Comcast to switch our account to Internet only. They gave us a TV + Internet package that cost less than Internet alone. But nobody ever turned on the TV box. And shortly thereafter, Comcast's $40/month Internet went from 20 Mbps to 300. Sayonara.

I have no doubt that when both our kids are gone we will scale back our tv package, or ditch it all together, but with 4 of us, the dvr is used a lot, and will be even more once HS football starts. I ref, oldest is in the hs band, youngest plays jrhigh, so we are gone alot in the fall. 

Grizzlyfan

If you are out in the parking lot on game day and your phone is a mobile hotspot, is that typically enough to stream live games on your tv?

The Great Hambino

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2016, 11:44:50 am
The dvr is a big deal in our house too. Plus, I will be honest, I read all these posts from people about having this device, plus this app, then having to use all the different network apps, then send it to my tv, and some of the services you can't watch on multiple tvs, and it is just not worth it to me.

It's worth it to me saving $1500+ a year.

hogfansince79

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

TexHog188

I just signed up for a 7 day free trial of Sony Playstation Vue.  I choose it for the local channels, (antenna reception is sketchy in my home), SEC Network, ESPN3 online access, and up to 5 streams.  I'm using a PS4 and a Roku in different rooms.  I have 100M internet service from TWC, so we will see how it goes.  If all goes well, I'll drop TWC TV in Sept.

Also my wife bought me Hogs vs Florida tickets today...  WPS!

Also Vue has Cloud DVR for 28 days, vs none for Sling TV.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

BoarnSupremacy

I will have to read through this thread a couple of times to make sense of it.  I have no idea what sling and playstaion vue etc. are but I am willing to learn.

Danny J

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2016, 11:44:50 am
Man...you read my mind. I will gladly pay double to keep from doing all that nonsense. I love my DVR'S and rarely watch anything live. I can't even remember the last time I watched something live fro start to finish. 

ChicoHog

I still have a home phone and it's bundled with my internet.  Not great internet speed but enough for me.  I like a home phone as I put that number down on all the forms I fill out either hard copy or online so people I don't know (sales people and solicitors) do not call my cell phone.  I love DirecTV and have had it for 15 years.  I know it's expensive but we watch a lot of TV and for me it's worth it and I will skip other things like going out for dinner, movie theater, etc., 

hog.goblin

I still have a home phone, but it's a cell phone.  Grandparents refuse to call the cell phone because they can't understand it's free to talk.  We haven't told them the landline number was moved over to a cell phone.

I pay $10 for that, and the 20+ telemarketer calls it gets a day so I don't have to get them on my cell phone.

PonderinHog

I still have a home phone number, but I don't know what it is and I don't have a home phone.

But it's part of the bundle, which is way too expensive.  Comcast is raking me over the coals and I am close to exploring other options.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: hogfansince79 on August 22, 2016, 04:37:30 pm
Now, there is an easier way, and it allows for updates with the click of a button.

How To Install Or Update Kodi On Fire TV Without Computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Gb3GuSClM

ES Explorer doesn't work anymore. Now you have to use the method I posted or sideload it from a phone. I don't want to mess with side loading from my oneplus.

hogsanity

August 23, 2016, 08:11:47 am #96 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:45:19 pm by hogsanity
Quote from: The Great Hambino on August 22, 2016, 03:55:14 pm
It's worth it to me saving $1500+ a year.

$1500? What were you paying for? I have Cox, have just about every channel they offer, plus their highest internet speed, and the dvr record 6, 2 extra receivers and a home phone bundled in and I don't pay $1500 a year for the video part of it.  You still have to have internet to get tv even with sling/amazon/netflix etc.

hawgrunner

I went to SLING TV sometime ago... really like it. Great way for me to get the HOG games due to being here in San Diego.

VictoryRedChevy

Quote from: arkhogball on August 20, 2016, 10:19:31 pm
Sling Orange package ($20 + $5 for SEC net and other sports channels) will give you ESPN and deuce, but the Blue package ($25) will not.  Also with Orange, you will be able to sign into the WatchESPN app with your sling ID and PW.  The Blue package has a few more stations and the NFL Network, but you lose the ESPN channels.  The $5 sports package for Blue does not include ESPN.   This morning I thought I had it figured out, and was going to upgrade to the Blue and just sign in to WatchESPN app with the sling ID and PW.  It didn't work.  Once you upgrade to the Blue, you can't sign on to WatchESPN.  You can add the packages together for $40 total, but that is actually more than most cable companies basic package that will give you ESPN and NFL.  You can't get both with Sling TV for less than $40.  One other difference with the two packages is that with Blue you can stream on more devices that just one at a time.
Thanks for that info about being able to sign into WatchESPN with Sling. I did not know that. I'd gotten rid of cable with Cox, but kept Internet and I figured I could just get apps for my favorites like ESPN and AMC. Well, of course...Cox blocked my access to those because I didn't have cable with them.

I've had Sling for about 5 months and for the price and as little tv as I watch, it's a damn good deal for me. Yes, it can be glitchy. I cast it to my TV with Chromecast and my phone and that's when it seems to buffer/pause/freeze. It's better only watching on my tablet and about perfect on my phone. I was worried about Hog games on ESPN and SEC Net, but not now. ESPN app work perfect while casting.

hogfansince79

Quote from: The Great Hambino on August 22, 2016, 08:44:20 pm
ES Explorer doesn't work anymore. Now you have to use the method I posted or sideload it from a phone. I don't want to mess with side loading from my oneplus.

It did last Saturday (8/20)... that's when I installed AppStarter, and then updated Kodi.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin