Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley

Started by MissippHog, August 16, 2016, 07:43:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on August 17, 2016, 03:19:49 pm
"No legitimate competition for the (starter/backup)" is code wording for these guys to complain that "their" guy didn't make some immediately apparent leap to the top of the heap. All the "Coaches-In-Waiting" (just ask them, they'll tell ya') seem to think their talent evaluation is superior to the HC/OC/DC and the position coaches who've been doing it professionally for years and are directly supervising them in most matters "Football" on a daily basis.

/sarcasm "Those HS hero videos tell us everything we need to know about whether a kid is ready to play SEC football for the Razorbacks." /sarcasm
Ah yes the coaches are infallible argument, never been a big time coach make the wrong call on choice of player for any position ever!!!

Saban almost cost his team a natty last year, because he thought Bateman could do a better job against Ole Piss, but that Saban guy isn't any good anyway/ sarcasm off

Oh yeah the NFL says oh Mike Cherry, and Tarvaris Jackson you aren't good enough to play at Arkansas, but we think you can make it here in the lil ol NFL which NFL HOFs were they playing behind here at ARkansas?

jkstock04

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 02:52:05 pm
The amusing part in all this? Some folks around here were screaming there would be no legitimate competition for AA's backup a couple of months ago. Here we are today. Since a backup has yet to be named, some folks are now insinuating there is no viable option and they all suck.

Only on Hogville.
Actually the argument was that there would be no competition for the starting position....which there wasn't. Austin's light years ahead of everyone else on campus...nobody came close to push him. By all reports Ricky Town would be dead last on the list of viable qbs.

I don't see any of this with the 2nd string qb as a positive right now. But maybe Kelley IS the guy and a legit 2nd stringer. But you think about when we had the likes of Tyler Wilson or Brandon Allen as 2nd stringers. Don't think we are at that caliber yet.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 17, 2016, 05:42:23 pm
Actually the argument was that there would be no competition for the starting position....which there wasn't. Austin's light years ahead of everyone else on campus...nobody came close to push him. By all reports Ricky Town would be dead last on the list of viable qbs.

I don't see any of this with the 2nd string qb as a positive right now. But maybe Kelley IS the guy and a legit 2nd stringer. But you think about when we had the likes of Tyler Wilson or Brandon Allen as 2nd stringers. Don't think we are at that caliber yet.

I have taken your comments into consideration and immediately dismissed them because I know your modus operandi. Supposedly everything you see, feel, hear or read about stinks to high heaven.

I've got news for you, pal, that stench you smell is emanating from you.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 02:52:05 pm
The amusing part in all this? Some folks around here were screaming there would be no legitimate competition for AA's backup a couple of months ago. Here we are today. Since a backup has yet to be named, some folks are now insinuating there is no viable option and they all suck.

Only on Hogville.

I will say this, with Peavey and Storey having spent the next most time in the program and Town being next, then Kelley next, it is a bit disappointing that one of them hasn't risen to the challenge and set themselves apart from the competition. On the other hand, Peavey did emerge from the spring as the stated #2, but has been hampered in camp due to a back injury, so maybe he re-emerges and distances himself from the others once fully healed?

Glad to see Storey making progress though, that can't be anything but good for us. I'm also glad to hear that it appears that the light has finally come on for Town and he is working hard and doing everything that they ask of him.

As for Kelley, I'm not sure where some of you guys get this running with Kelley challenging for #2 because according to what Enos said in the presser, he still makes too many mistakes (typical for a true freshman) in terms of judgement in passing, but who also demonstrates talent that could be developed to make him an outstanding QB, perhaps sooner than later, though much of that is up to Kelley. At this point, unless Peavey goes down completely and Storey stops making progress, it doesn't sound like Kelley has a chance of seeing playing time this season. I think that they R/S him. But from all of the glowing praise for him that Enos had, it certainly sounds as if he could be projected to be the QB of the future.
Go Hogs Go!

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 17, 2016, 05:26:57 pm
Ah yes the coaches are infallible argument, never been a big time coach make the wrong call on choice of player for any position ever!!!

Saban almost cost his team a natty last year, because he thought Bateman could do a better job against Ole Piss, but that Saban guy isn't any good anyway/ sarcasm off

Oh yeah the NFL says oh Mike Cherry, and Tarvaris Jackson you aren't good enough to play at Arkansas, but we think you can make it here in the lil ol NFL which NFL HOFs were they playing behind here at ARkansas?

Yeah, all those professional coaches know so much less than you. You are supposed to be the decision maker for Alabama, Arkansas and I reckon based on your attitude every college team that didn't start a guy who walked on in the NFL. If you know so much, why aren't you working somewhere in a GM position or coach for any pro or college team? This board is named MMQB for a reason, we are all only MMQBs and not the guys who are paid millions and/or hundreds of thousands to make these decisions. I am glad they are making good decisions for us and we don't have to rely on some guy on Hogville to get it done.

I don't remember Mike Cherry, but a little Googling shows he was a late round draft pick (6th) and had a 4 year NFL career with not much in the way of stats to show for it. Tarvaris Jackson at least had a career worth discussing, but the coach that was involved in any mishandling/misevaluation was HDN, so you've invalidated your position because we all know what a nut Nutt was. Ought to put a little thought into your foolish rebuttals. If this is all you've got, you should post less until you've had a chance to think more.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 02:09:35 pm
Because they usually only give game prep reps to the #1 and the #2. If the #1 is getting 70% of the reps, you can't divide up the other 30% among 3 or 4 guys. They backup has to develop some sort of relationship with the 1st team offense.

Since when has CBB worried about developing a #2?  That's harsh but really what signs have we had that a #2 is ready to step in and take over a game?  Maybe Enos is handling it a little different and I hope so.  I hope that both Peavey and Storey are ready but they are just waiting for some seperation.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 17, 2016, 07:09:35 pm
I will say this, with Peavey and Storey having spent the next most time in the program and Town being next, then Kelley next, it is a bit disappointing that one of them hasn't risen to the challenge and set themselves apart from the competition. On the other hand, Peavey did emerge from the spring as the stated #2, but has been hampered in camp due to a back injury, so maybe he re-emerges and distances himself from the others once fully healed?

Glad to see Storey making progress though, that can't be anything but good for us. I'm also glad to hear that it appears that the light has finally come on for Town and he is working hard and doing everything that they ask of him.

As for Kelley, I'm not sure where some of you guys get this running with Kelley challenging for #2 because according to what Enos said in the presser, he still makes too many mistakes (typical for a true freshman) in terms of judgement in passing, but who also demonstrates talent that could be developed to make him an outstanding QB, perhaps sooner than later, though much of that is up to Kelley. At this point, unless Peavey goes down completely and Storey stops making progress, it doesn't sound like Kelley has a chance of seeing playing time this season. I think that they R/S him. But from all of the glowing praise for him that Enos had, it certainly sounds as if he could be projected to be the QB of the future.

Don't lump me in with "some of you guys". I have NEVER placed myself in a position that would compromise my support for the team over an individual player. Ain't going to happen.

May the second best QB win. I don't give a chit who it is because guys well above my pay grade are making that decision.

theFlyingHog

I shouldn't be but I'm surprised how polarized some "fans" are with this QB situation. They all have a hog on their helmet, they all want to win games for Arkansas. I don't care who is out there, running QB, pocket pro, whatever, let's win some damn football games!

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 17, 2016, 07:33:36 pm
I shouldn't be but I'm surprised how polarized some "fans" are with this QB situation. They all have a hog on their helmet, they all want to win games for Arkansas. I don't care who is out there, running QB, pocket pro, whatever, let's win some damn football games!

I mean.......they aren't even giving Carson Proctor any snaps??

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 17, 2016, 07:33:36 pm

Overdramatized, I don't think many at all care who is number 2 they just have opinions. 

welchog

August 17, 2016, 07:43:57 pm #60 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:28:44 am by welchog

Your googling did not tell you MC was coached by HDN at Murray St

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 07:27:47 pm
Don't lump me in with "some of you guys". I have NEVER placed myself in a position that would compromise my support for the team over an individual player. Ain't going to happen.

May the second best QB win. I don't give a chit who it is because guys well above my pay grade are making that decision.

Didn't mean to at all, my apologies. I quoted you but I just meant it as an overall statement of "some of you guys".  If the shoe don't fit...
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 17, 2016, 07:53:40 pm
Didn't mean to at all, my apologies. I quoted you but I just meant it as an overall statement of "some of you guys".  If the shoe don't fit...

I thank you for that clarification.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 08:01:01 pm
I thank you for that clarification.

Don't take it so seriously. As I said, "if the shoe fits..."
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on August 17, 2016, 07:26:52 pm
Yeah, all those professional coaches know so much less than you. You are supposed to be the decision maker for Alabama, Arkansas and I reckon based on your attitude every college team that didn't start a guy who walked on in the NFL. If you know so much, why aren't you working somewhere in a GM position or coach for any pro or college team? This board is named MMQB for a reason, we are all only MMQBs and not the guys who are paid millions and/or hundreds of thousands to make these decisions. I am glad they are making good decisions for us and we don't have to rely on some guy on Hogville to get it done.

I don't remember Mike Cherry, but a little Googling shows he was a late round draft pick (6th) and had a 4 year NFL career with not much in the way of stats to show for it. Tarvaris Jackson at least had a career worth discussing, but the coach that was involved in any mishandling/misevaluation was HDN, so you've invalidated your position because we all know what a nut Nutt was. Ought to put a little thought into your foolish rebuttals. If this is all you've got, you should post less until you've had a chance to think more.
Whatever dude, Cherry and Jackson were studs and couldn't get playing time because coaches made the wrong choices. The NFL didn't miss the talent, Cherry didn't get far but his career was a 100 times better than the guy the coach went with who didn't get a sniff at the NFL. Honestly Cherrys ability is the reason Nutt ended up here, because his 2 seasons for Nutt he shredded people in the OVC winning 2 titles, which led to Nutt becoming a star!

Saban/Kiffin made the wrong choice for one half of a game, they didn't make the mistake twice though. Point is coaches make mistakes just like the rest of us and sometimes the MMQB person is right, albeit a lot less than the reverse.

I bet you don't question anything the President/Governor/senator/mayor does because you couldn't possibly have the ability or understanding to do something better than they would!

Now who is foolish....answer you!

longpig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 02:09:35 pm
Because they usually only give game prep reps to the #1 and the #2. If the #1 is getting 70% of the reps, you can't divide up the other 30% among 3 or 4 guys. They backup has to develop some sort of relationship with the 1st team offense.

Exactly, and if you aren't in the top 3 the position coach (Enos) doesn't work with you till post season.  I just don't see Kelley being left out of the top 3. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 06:57:22 pm
I have taken your comments into consideration and immediately dismissed them because I know your modus operandi. Supposedly everything you see, feel, hear or read about stinks to high heaven.

Well JK's right, that was the argument. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: longpig on August 17, 2016, 09:44:02 am
Kelley may be the only option on campus that can become a solid backup anytime soon. That could mean moving him to #2 for the reps and risking the redshirt option if he's needed in games.  Coach B doesn't give snaps to backups unless he has to, anyway.

You are complete nuts
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 18, 2016, 08:10:41 am
You are complete nuts
I'm going with red crepe for Kelley.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 17, 2016, 07:27:40 pm
Since when has CBB worried about developing a #2?  That's harsh but really what signs have we had that a #2 is ready to step in and take over a game?  Maybe Enos is handling it a little different and I hope so.  I hope that both Peavey and Storey are ready but they are just waiting for some seperation.

I am so tired of this tripe. How is one supposed to get the #2 ready? There just is not enough time. The only way to do it is to take away time the starter has with the 1st team so the backup can work with them. No one with a true starting QB is giving half the reps to the backup.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on August 18, 2016, 08:23:11 am
I am so tired of this tripe. How is one supposed to get the #2 ready? There just is not enough time. The only way to do it is to take away time the starter has with the 1st team so the backup can work with them. No one with a true starting QB is giving half the reps to the backup.
That is correct and is the case at any level
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

longpig

hawginbigd1

I am not worried at all about #2 QB, seems to be plenty of talent and all IMO are greater than AJ Derby which was the last time I was really concerned about #2. I think the coaches are pushing the  competition right now just as they are on the OL. I believe they are really about 90% sure of where they are going in both cases. I don't believe Kelley is really in the mix

Hogwild

Allen, Peavey, Kelly, Storey, Town, Hyatt.  Do you really think we are going to keep 6 QBs on scholarship next season?

I realize it is vital position but can a team afford to give 8% of its total scholarships? What is the norm(# of QB on scholarship) for a P5 school?

jkstock04

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 06:57:22 pm

What an intelligent reply.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pudgepork

Cherry had nfl size and arm.  He was a backup at Ark so off
to Murray St and HDN.   Cherry did well and kick started Nuttz
coaching arc.  Cherry ended up with NY Giants as a backup to
Phil Sims I think.  Anybody remember if Cherry was there when
Giants won a Super Bowl?

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Pudgepork on August 18, 2016, 03:33:41 pm
Cherry had nfl size and arm.  He was a backup at Ark so off
to Murray St and HDN.   Cherry did well and kick started Nuttz
coaching arc.  Cherry ended up with NY Giants as a backup to
Phil Sims I think.  Anybody remember if Cherry was there when
Giants won a Super Bowl?
Mike was very athletic too. In pregame warmups he did a flip with his pads on. For 6ft 5, I was impressed. Hate that there was not much playing time for him here.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

longpig

August 18, 2016, 07:15:09 pm #77 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:27:00 pm by longpig
Quote from: Hogwild on August 18, 2016, 11:49:57 am
Allen, Peavey, Kelly, Storey, Town, Hyatt.  Do you really think we are going to keep 6 QBs on scholarship next season?

I realize it is vital position but can a team afford to give 8% of its total scholarships? What is the norm(# of QB on scholarship) for a P5 school?

Corndogs had ten last year ;D, got 7 now.  QBU (USCW) has 5 this year

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 18, 2016, 08:23:11 am

So then what's the hurry to name a #2 if it's impossible to get #2 ready?

I could go on about what's been done before, here and other places.  I could mention the quaility of our QB roster.  I could praise or QB coach...but that's just tripe. 

All I said or ask was "what's the hurry".  You seem to think there is a hurry but then you say it's impossible.  Talk about tripe, make up your mind and it would be nice if you showed some faith in the players and coaches.

In my opinion, the situation starts with the #1 this year.  He has been here for 3 years previous and playing for 2 of those and really never considered to be good enough to get in a game unless his brother was barely able to stand up.  The horse crap about not having enough time doesn't fit with me.  If you are dead set on developing a #2, you could bring him out at a different time with some of the other players and work his butt out for 2 hours every day.  No rule that I am aware of that says all the team has to practice at the exact same time.  We haven't had a solid #2 since BB has been coach and I do not expect that to change this year.  When AA was allowed in games last season, he wasn't doing anything to teach him the real game, just running out the clock mostly.  All coaches develop the game they like and swear there is no time to perfect those points they don't like.  Petrino developed decent QBs.  but didn't worry too much about defense.  We will find time to develop the running game but the QB spot will suffer and if AA goes down, our team will suffer due to the fall off to #2.  We saw this last year with the WRs.  Word was we just didn't have any WRs except the Owasso, OK Guy who got hurt.  When he went down and we were forced to use others, goodness sakes, we found a couple of pretty good WRs. from that dump ground were none were good just a week or so before.  So far as I know, we have the same amount of time to develop players that every other team does and we do develop some pretty good football players if they play a position we want developed.  We manage to develop some pretty good backups at O-line, RB, TE, D-line it appears.  We cannot find the time to develop kickers, extra QBs, great special teams players, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on August 18, 2016, 10:53:24 pm
In my opinion, the situation starts with the #1 this year.  He has been here for 3 years previous and playing for 2 of those and really never considered to be good enough to get in a game unless his brother was barely able to stand up.  The horse crap about not having enough time doesn't fit with me.  If you are dead set on developing a #2, you could bring him out at a different time with some of the other players and work his butt out for 2 hours every day.  No rule that I am aware of that says all the team has to practice at the exact same time.  We haven't had a solid #2 since BB has been coach and I do not expect that to change this year.  When AA was allowed in games last season, he wasn't doing anything to teach him the real game, just running out the clock mostly.  All coaches develop the game they like and swear there is no time to perfect those points they don't like.  Petrino developed decent QBs.  but didn't worry too much about defense.  We will find time to develop the running game but the QB spot will suffer and if AA goes down, our team will suffer due to the fall off to #2.  We saw this last year with the WRs.  Word was we just didn't have any WRs except the Owasso, OK Guy who got hurt.  When he went down and we were forced to use others, goodness sakes, we found a couple of pretty good WRs. from that dump ground were none were good just a week or so before.  So far as I know, we have the same amount of time to develop players that every other team does and we do develop some pretty good football players if they play a position we want developed.  We manage to develop some pretty good backups at O-line, RB, TE, D-line it appears.  We cannot find the time to develop kickers, extra QBs, great special teams players, etc.

Cornelius and Morgan both played and started early, so that debunks that theory. Reed played as he learned the playbook. So, in games where we are up 35 in the 4th qt, you expect us to have the entire playbook open? I bet you'd be one of the first the chime in when the national pundits were grilling Bielema on TV for throwing with a big lead. In those situations, you have the second team in running it up the middle, maybe passing on 3rd and 10. 2 years ago OM had their QB go down, they had garbage behind him. About the only time you have a capable #2, is when you don't have a real #1 to start with.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 18, 2016, 07:27:59 pm
So then what's the hurry to name a #2 if it's impossible to get #2 ready?

I could go on about what's been done before, here and other places.  I could mention the quaility of our QB roster.  I could praise or QB coach...but that's just tripe. 

All I said or ask was "what's the hurry".  You seem to think there is a hurry but then you say it's impossible.  Talk about tripe, make up your mind and it would be nice if you showed some faith in the players and coaches.

I never said there was any hurry. I am sure the coaches would like to have a clear #2 when they start LA TEch game prep. Fans want a #2 so then they can really start crying for the #2 to play. I really do not care who the #2 is because if he is playing in anything but mop up duty it is a bad thing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

There's always been this myth here that QBs must be "developed".  That they need the same number of "reps" in practice to play effectively in a game.  That it takes years to learn "the playbook".  This is all nonsense.

Playing QB ain't rocket science. It helps to have brains, but all the brains in the world won't help when a bunch of big, fast athletes are trying to kill you in front of a packed stadium.  Either you have the physical and mental tools for it or you don't.  That isn't to say it doesn't take time to learn to manage the speed of the game at any given level.  The only way to do that is to do it. 

By the time a QB gets to Arkansas, he's probably played the position for 10 years or more.  He's probably been to many camps, had private coaches, and played 4 or more seasons of 7 on 7.  He's spent hours and days on drills to refine his footwork and mechanics.  His high school coaches may or may not have known what they were doing, and Enos is no doubt head and shoulders above what they had in high school, but if they didn't have major talent and skills they wouldn't be on scholarship at Arkansas to begin with.

QBs take the ball from someone and get it to someone else asap.  It's hot potato.  We've got several guys who are well prepared for it when their time comes.  The coaches will tailor the offense to maximize their skills and minimize their weaknesses as they grow into the starter, but someone will step up if necessary, much sooner than many here think.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwild

Quote from: longpig on August 18, 2016, 07:15:09 pm
Corndogs had ten last year ;D, got 7 now.  QBU (USCW) has 5 this year

They had 10 QBs on scholarship?  Wow I thought 6 might be excessive.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogwild on August 19, 2016, 10:26:05 am
They had 10 QBs on scholarship?  Wow I thought 6 might be excessive.

6 plenty if you develop QB's.

AirWarren

I think this kid is going to be a great one. And with him already competing for the backup job, tells the state of Brandon Allen's backup Qb situation other than Austin.