Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley

Started by MissippHog, August 16, 2016, 07:43:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MissippHog

This question is for anyone that has seen him play or been to any of the practices.  One thing I keep noticing in reports and audio clips is Cole's name being brought up.  Is he penciled in for a RS this year or does he have a legitimate chance at moving up the depth chart?

Edit: Posted in wrong forum, mods please move to MMQB.

ricepig

MissippHog

Good read rice, thanks.

Bubba's Bruisers

I hope like crazy he red shirts.  Our QB situation appears to be as solid as we've had in a very, very long time...AA, Peavey, Storey, Kelley, plus 2 currently committed.  Tons of potential.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jgphillips3

He will absolutely red shirt this year. 

Dominicanhog

We'll see CBB's first real open competition for QB in 2 years and look for Cole to be in the middle of it... but then again, it'll be between 5-6 very talented QB's if we keep stockpiling... hope Enos is around for the decision...

sigpooie

Sweet to have a monster back on campus.. I'm sure we have the qbs we need, Backs look strong as well as receivers. If the line is up we crush some of the chumps. Kelley's team in 18 is going to finals.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Dugann

why burn a year for 2nd place.  if it gets to that and we need him then burn it if we have too.  this kid is going be something let him develop and use the max time that we can have him for.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

August 17, 2016, 09:24:40 am #8 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:37:10 am by Großer Kriegschwein
Quote from: Dugann on August 17, 2016, 09:16:23 am
why burn a year for 2nd place.  if it gets to that and we need him then burn it if we have too.  this kid is going be something let him develop and use the max time that we can have him for.

I'm with ya, redshirt him this year, he can be #2 next year if he's the man and then we have him for 3 years. Anything can happen between now and then though. Town is super talented and Ty is pretty good too.

Looking at the other positions in the future, Austin could possibly get it done next year And get us to the SECCG, but we will have the Gumps and Corndogs on the road. Hopefully we'll only be replacing one OL next year off the starting roster. This will be Kurt Anderson's year to attract the attention of some top tier linemen through the performance of the group he has this year. We win 9 or 10 games and I think we'll have the attention of a bunch of ESPN 300 linemen.

But honestly, the road to an SEC championship game may come the hard way through Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge on the road. Don't make mistakes against everyone else and take one of those two, may get it done.
This is my non-signature signature.

longpig

Kelley may be the only option on campus that can become a solid backup anytime soon. That could mean moving him to #2 for the reps and risking the redshirt option if he's needed in games.  Coach B doesn't give snaps to backups unless he has to, anyway.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hawganatic

Quote from: longpig on August 17, 2016, 09:44:02 am
Kelley may be the only option on campus that can become a solid backup anytime soon. That could mean moving him to #2 for the reps and risking the redshirt option if he's needed in games.  Coach B doesn't give snaps to backups unless he has to, anyway.

So you are saying that Storey/Peavey/Towne aren't viable back ups?  What are you basing that on?

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on August 17, 2016, 09:44:02 am

I don't agree that he's the only one, but it wouldn't surprise me if he were the #2 QB sooner than later.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hawganatic on August 17, 2016, 10:34:21 am
So you are saying that Storey/Peavey/Towne aren't viable back ups?  What are you basing that on?
He's one of them "glass is half empty" guys.

FANONTHEHILL

The reps that Cole is getting in practice have been great for a true freshman. That being said, it would take a long list of injuries to play Cole this year.  When I've attended practice, I've seen an incredibly high level of physical tools, but also some decision making that you can get away with in high school, but not the SEC. That's not an indictment of Cole, it's simply a game played at a different speed.  The best thing for Cole would be running our scout team this fall.  Facing the pass rush and finding open receivers against an SEC caliber defense.  All the tools are there and after the 2017 season when Austin moves on, things will be very interesting, but as for 2016, Cole would greatly benefit from a redshirt year. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Großer Kriegschwein

I was hangin out at a get together next door (I live in Louisiana), all the LSU fans hate  Heir QB and wish somehow they find someone else that can throw.

I mentioned Cameron being the problem, and the consensus from them is that he isn't the problem.

I mentioned us pulling in Kelly from Lafayette, a prototypical pro-style QB with a gun that stands 6'7" 255 and all they had to ask was "What was his 40 time".

Corndogs gonna corndog.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 17, 2016, 10:53:28 am
I was hangin out at a get together next door (I live in Louisiana), all the LSU fans hate  Heir QB and wish somehow they find someone else that can throw.

I mentioned Cameron being the problem, and the consensus from them is that he isn't the problem.

I mentioned us pulling in Kelly from Lafayette, a prototypical pro-style QB with a gun that stands 6'7" 255 and all they had to ask was "What was his 40 time".

Corndogs gonna corndog.

Really, lol!  :)
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

26.2Hog

Corndogs gonna corndog.

His 40 time?  Those corndogs must think the QB should RUN the ball out to the receivers.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: 26.2Hog on August 17, 2016, 11:07:14 am
His 40 time?  Those corndogs must think the QB should RUN the ball out to the receivers.

I guess so.

They didn't want to talk anymore when I told them they could probably go 3 down on our depth chart at QB and still win the SEC.

Harris' completion percentage would probably be higher with your method.

longpig

Quote from: hawganatic on August 17, 2016, 10:34:21 am

Kelley is the only backup that Coach B has expressed excitement over.  He just gives a vanilla positive/neutral report on the others. 

longpig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 17, 2016, 10:42:19 am
He's one of them "glass is half empty" guys.

I'm one of those that noticed there was zero competition from any of themfor the starting job last spring, that there's  a huge drop off from AA to #2 still and Coach B is excited about Kelley's progress but not the others.  I don't have a man crush on any of the backups blurring my judgement either.

longpig

Corndogs gonna corndog.

Corndogs have two track stars and a baker's dozen low to no talent others competing for the job. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: longpig on August 17, 2016, 11:31:59 am
Corndogs have two track stars and a baker's dozen low to no talent others competing for the job.

Junior Colleges would have been a good place to start looking for a serviceable QB. What JC QB wouldn't want to play on a team with that supporting cast?

Hogwild

Maybe they just know their HC's offensive philosophy.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dugann on August 17, 2016, 09:16:23 am

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 17, 2016, 09:24:40 am
I'm with ya, redshirt him this year, he can be #2 next year if he's the man and then we have him for 3 years. Anything can happen between now and then though. Town is super talented and Ty is pretty good too.

If Kelly is THAT good you may only have him for 3 years total anyway. If he takes a RS then plays 2 years he can still leave for the NFL after his RS FR year. So if he plays this year, even sparingly, it is not a terrible thing ( except it means he passed RP, TS, and RT ). 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 11:41:12 am
If Kelly is THAT good you may only have him for 3 years total anyway. If he takes a RS then plays 2 years he can still leave for the NFL after his RS FR year. So if he plays this year, even sparingly, it is not a terrible thing ( except it means he passed RP, TS, and RT ). 
Huh? RS FR year? No, that would be his second year. At the very earliest, it would be his redshirt sophomore year.

There is no chance we burn his redshirt this year to play backup. Especially when they feel Rafe is so much better than he once was.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on August 17, 2016, 11:46:43 am
Huh? RS FR year? No, that would be his second year. At the very earliest, it would be his redshirt sophomore year.

There is no chance we burn his redshirt this year to play backup. Especially when they feel Rafe is so much better than he once was.

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/765953493068754944

hogsanity

Quote from: jry04 on August 17, 2016, 11:46:43 am

I miss typed. A player that red shirts can leave after his red shirt soph year, my mistake. But my point is valid.

The bigger concern, to me, is if he does end up being the backup, what does that say about the 3 that were in front of him when camp started?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 12:00:30 pm
I miss typed. A player that red shirts can leave after his red shirt soph year, my mistake. But my point is valid.

The bigger concern, to me, is if he does end up being the backup, what does that say about the 3 that were in front of him when camp started?

That they liked Cole better?

hogsanity

To me the question on burning the RS or not would be the situation. If AA goes down with a twisted ankle, but he is likely not out for a stretch of games, or he just gets dinged and needs to take a series off, no way do you burn the shirt for that. But, if he has a serious injury ( like a ACL or a torn rotator in his shoulder ) then you very well might burn it. Situation one assumes there is no real clear #2, and situation 2 assumes he is the clear cut #2.   

Youngsta71701

August 17, 2016, 12:06:20 pm #29 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:30:49 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 16, 2016, 07:48:54 pm
I hope like crazy he red shirts.  Our QB situation appears to be as solid as we've had in a very, very long time...AA, Peavey, Storey, Kelley, plus 2 currently committed.  Tons of potential.
You left out Town ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

PorkRinds

FineAsSwine

August 17, 2016, 12:25:30 pm #32 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:57:58 pm by FineAsSwine
Quote from: PorkRinds on August 17, 2016, 12:10:39 pm
So did coach B...

So when does Town or one of the other QB's move out to wide receiver?
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Really like Cole Kelley based on his reply to a question about how Ricky Town transferring in affected his commitment. He basically said he was coming here regardless of whoever else came.

Great answer and showed a competitive streak that I love to see in a player, especially at a position of leadership such as quarterback.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 17, 2016, 12:10:39 pm
So did coach B...
Either that says the QB's we have ahead of him are better than was advertised or that says that Town was severely overrated. I expected Allen and Peavey to be ahead of him at this point but not Storey and Kelley.

PorkRinds

Guys there is no S in his last name.  I know it's petty but it drives me nuts.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 12:06:12 pm
To me the question on burning the RS or not would be the situation. If AA goes down with a twisted ankle, but he is likely not out for a stretch of games, or he just gets dinged and needs to take a series off, no way do you burn the shirt for that. But, if he has a serious injury ( like a ACL or a torn rotator in his shoulder ) then you very well might burn it. Situation one assumes there is no real clear #2, and situation 2 assumes he is the clear cut #2.   

No doubt, you don't waste it for mop up or 1/2 a game, IMO.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 17, 2016, 01:00:25 pm
There, fixed it for ya. ;)

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 12:10:18 pm
CBB left Towns out in his PC today too

Why would he talk about somebody not on our team? Kniles I don't think was ever mentioned by Petrino either.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2016, 12:00:30 pm

What does it say about the three in front of him? That Kelly is better if he theoretically beat them for the backup spot. I mean, if we had senior Matt Jones, Senior Brandon Allen, Junior Tyler Wilson, and Junior Ryan Mallett on the roster, and then Cam Newton came over here from JUCO as well, guess what. Newton would be our starting qb. What does that say about our other guys? Only that they are not as good of qb's as Newton. Doesn't mean that they aren't good enough to start and do extremely well in the SEC because every last one of those guys I listed did. Just that one of them will end up being better than the rest.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Cinco de Hogo

Why?

Maybe it works to name a #1 if you have a #1 but if you've got the talent we have at QB what's the frigging hurry to name a #2?  Let them fight for the position while your prepping your starter.

We'll name the next #1 in oh about the spring of 2018....maybe. 

Peavey's been hurt, I have a feeling the coaches are just relaxing on the need to jump someone over him until it makes sense to do so.  Give the kid a chance to heal before you do something drastic.

hawganatic

Quote from: longpig on August 17, 2016, 11:28:23 am
I'm one of those that noticed there was zero competition from any of themfor the starting job last spring, that there's  a huge drop off from AA to #2 still and Coach B is excited about Kelley's progress but not the others.  I don't have a man crush on any of the backups blurring my judgement either.

Maybe he's just highlighting Kelly because he's new to the program and not in competition for the back up job.  Or maybe that's just too obvious....

I'll say that if this coaching staff whiffed on three straight QBs that can't even make a decent back up, we don't have a bright future ahead of us...

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 17, 2016, 01:38:52 pm
Why?

Maybe it works to name a #1 if you have a #1 but if you've got the talent we have at QB what's the frigging hurry to name a #2?  Let them fight for the position while your prepping your starter.

We'll name the next #1 in oh about the spring of 2018....maybe. 

Peavey's been hurt, I have a feeling the coaches are just relaxing on the need to jump someone over him until it makes sense to do so.  Give the kid a chance to heal before you do something drastic.

Because they usually only give game prep reps to the #1 and the #2. If the #1 is getting 70% of the reps, you can't divide up the other 30% among 3 or 4 guys. They backup has to develop some sort of relationship with the 1st team offense.

Hawgar The Horrible

The amusing part in all this? Some folks around here were screaming there would be no legitimate competition for AA's backup a couple of months ago. Here we are today. Since a backup has yet to be named, some folks are now insinuating there is no viable option and they all suck.

Only on Hogville.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 17, 2016, 02:52:05 pm
The amusing part in all this? Some folks around here were screaming there would be no legitimate competition for AA's backup a couple of months ago. Here we are today. Since a backup has yet to be named, some folks are now insinuating there is no viable option and they all suck.

Only on Hogville.

"No legitimate competition for the (starter/backup)" is code wording for these guys to complain that "their" guy didn't make some immediately apparent leap to the top of the heap. All the "Coaches-In-Waiting" (just ask them, they'll tell ya') seem to think their talent evaluation is superior to the HC/OC/DC and the position coaches who've been doing it professionally for years and are directly supervising them in most matters "Football" on a daily basis.

/sarcasm "Those HS hero videos tell us everything we need to know about whether a kid is ready to play SEC football for the Razorbacks." /sarcasm
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Hog N Bama

That's their problem NOW! Their QB is confused if the position is to throw or run with the ball. Idiots!

colbs

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 17, 2016, 01:00:25 pm
Same here and adding the S on Knile and leaving out a T on Mallett.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 17, 2016, 12:28:32 pm
Really like Cole Kelley based on his reply to a question about how Ricky Town transferring in affected his commitment. He basically said he was coming here regardless of whoever else came.

Great answer and showed a competitive streak that I love to see in a player, especially at a position of leadership such as quarterback.
I trust Coach Enos and I won't ever forget what he said about Kelley. WPS!!!

theFlyingHog

Maybe the QB thing isn't as bad as it seems and the coaches are just adding fire to the competition.

Carl Lazlo

When a nickname like "The Franchise" is given to a player put on the shades.  Future looks bright.