Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WholeHogSports: Versatile vets give line time to mature

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 15, 2016, 05:45:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

The OL is beginning to take shape. Will we see more personnel combinations? Probably but we are starting to see who some of the mainstays will be as we head towards the season.

Somewhere, sometime, probably at multiple positions, University of Texas graduate Jake Raulerson will figure into the mix on this season's Arkansas offensive line.

Raulerson, who earned a degree in finance in three years, transferred to Arkansas with two years of eligibility, both to work on his masters' at the UA's Walton School of Business and play football for Coach Bret Bielema's Razorbacks.

The versatility of Dan Skipper and Frank Ragnow, Arkansas' only two starting offensive linemen returned from 2015, and Raulerson have enabled Bielema and new offensive line coach Kurt Anderson to move linemen like chess pieces.

Sophomore Zach Rogers, Saturday's first-team right guard as Ragnow played center, has impressed Bielema at both center and guard. Redshirt freshman Jalen Merrick, also a guard, showed so well at right tackle also to net first-team time scrimmage time.

More inside:
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/15/versatile-vets-give-line-time-to-mature/
Go Hogs Go!

Pudgepork

It is so much better looking at the depth that this coaching staff
has built across the team.  Fans have stressed about numbers
at various positions but this staff has everything coming together.
Talent in numbers that Hog fans have ever known. Sit back and
enjoy the continuity and the programs rise from the ashes

razorbacker3

You don't hear much about Brian Wallace. What's up with him?

Hogzilla Killa

Quote from: razorbacker3 on August 15, 2016, 09:47:40 am

I was hoping this would be his breakout year as the tackle opposite Skipper. I feel like the coaches want him to succeed but he has not been able to set himself apart

theFlyingHog

hawginbigd1

Quote from: razorbacker3 on August 15, 2016, 09:47:40 am
I thought he was the heir apparent at LT, but it isn't panning out that way. He may need another year, reading between the lines he is struggling with what to do, not the ability to do it.

colbs

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 15, 2016, 10:08:16 am
I thought he was the heir apparent at LT, but it isn't panning out that way. He may need another year, reading between the lines he is struggling with what to do, not the ability to do it.
Yeah thought this was his year to grab a starting spot, but starting at OL can be tough.  He still is only a RS sophomore. 

FANONTHEHILL

The JUCO gets (Malone and Ramirez) combined with the gift of landing Taulerson will allow us to bridge the gap.  The young studs Fogers and Merrick mix in and will be the veterans when all these sophomores and freshman are ready to contribute in 2017 and beyond.  Getting these three transfers will prevent be as valuable as any other apart of the last recruiting cycle.  We will continue to sign a few blue chip olineman that contribute their second year, it's the guys that Anderson and Herbert get in then system that are ready in years three, four, and five that will make us an OLine factory.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Biggus Piggus

Clay Henry is having some issues fitting in with the Demozette crew. His fanzine style looks strange in a newspaper.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 15, 2016, 03:14:32 pm
The JUCO gets (Malone and Ramirez) combined with the gift of landing Taulerson will allow us to bridge the gap.  The young studs Fogers and Merrick mix in and will be the veterans when all these sophomores and freshman are ready to contribute in 2017 and beyond.  Getting these three transfers will prevent be as valuable as any other apart of the last recruiting cycle.  We will continue to sign a few blue chip olineman that contribute their second year, it's the guys that Anderson and Herbert get in then system that are ready in years three, four, and five that will make us an OLine factory.

Whew! That auto-correct is killing your posts amigo. But I get the gist.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Kake Taulerson is and ⌘ach Fogers, the 300+ pound crime fighting duo in NWA. Nobody knows their true identities though.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 15, 2016, 07:19:53 pm
Kake Taulerson is and ⌘ach Fogers, the 300+ pound crime fighting duo in NWA. Nobody knows their true identities though.

Good one, lol!  ;)
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

rzrbackramsfan

Does anyone know why raulerson transferred from Texas? That would almost be like ragnow transferring from the ua to Texas. Can you imagine the melt?

DeshaHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 16, 2016, 12:38:15 pm
Does anyone know why raulerson transferred from Texas? That would almost be like ragnow transferring from the ua to Texas. Can you imagine the melt?

From what I remember he had some sort of disagreements with the OL coach there?  Nothing crazy or nasty, hopefully someone can clarify? 

I'm also pretty sure he was not starting or projected to start, so maybe wanted to get some PT without having to go too far away. 

rzrbackramsfan

He was a projected starter.  I imagine his road to pt was much clearer there than here.

The OTR

OLjunkie

trashcan maN

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 15, 2016, 03:50:51 pm
Clay Henry is having some issues fitting in with the Demozette crew. His fanzine style looks strange in a newspaper.
Hah..was thinking the same thing as I read.

rzrbackramsfan

rzrbackramsfan

Biggus Piggus

As a Walton College MBA, I need Mr. Raulerson to be my intern next summer.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

I'm looking forward to a fast start this year !  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rzrbackramsfan

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet but it looks like shaggytexas did have a nice little melt in the form of a 16 page thread.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/166185-Raulerson-is-transferring

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 17, 2016, 10:25:12 am
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet but it looks like shaggytexas did have a nice little melt in the form of a 16 page thread.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/166185-Raulerson-is-transferring

It was about a 1/4 page of talking about Raulerson and then 15 1/2 pages of talking smack to each other.
This is my non-signature signature.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 17, 2016, 10:44:20 am
It was about a 1/4 page of talking about Raulerson and then 15 1/2 pages of talking smack to each other.

Lol add about 12 pages taking about UT's disgusting culture

redleg

So now it's (L to R) Skipper, Froholdt, Ragnow, Merrick, Raulerson?
I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to find the best five to start, but I sure would like to see them settle on a lineup pretty soon. The first team offense needs to have some consistency in practice so they can start installing the Game 1 game plan. There are only 14 practice days left before gameday!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redleg on August 17, 2016, 02:40:38 pm
So now it's (L to R) Skipper, Froholdt, Ragnow, Merrick, Raulerson?
I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to find the best five to start, but I sure would like to see them settle on a lineup pretty soon. The first team offense needs to have some consistency in practice so they can start installing the Game 1 game plan. There are only 14 practice days left before gameday!
:razorback:

Today it was: Skipper     Froholdt        Ragnow        Raulerson         Jackson

I am guessing, but I could see it (#1's) winding up being: Skipper    Froholdt     Ragnow      Wallace       Raulerson
#2's possibly being:                                                   Jackson     Malone      Rogers       Merrick       Rodriguez

But let's face it, it is an evaluated work in progress and according to today's presser the announced depth chart could come out anytime between Sunday and Tuesday.               
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Still comes down to a core problem: The best left tackle is Dan Skipper. The best right tackle is Dan Skipper. What is the best solution?

I do not see Wallace in the starting lineup, period. I don't believe he is in the top seven players.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Raulerson is probably going to start somewhere. He has been playing right tackle and right guard. If Raulerson is on the right side, Arkansas needs somebody more physically dominating to play alongside him. That bumps Zach Rogers to backup center.

Arkansas coaches are afraid that under the pressure of an enemy defense, run blocking will suffer with Rogers and Raulerson on the right side.

They have remained committed to Frank Ragnow at center, even though Rogers and Raulerson both would play center better than they play guard or tackle. I can understand if the coaches would view moving Ragnow as a setback to Oline chemistry.

The only players they have who wouldn't be mauled at left tackle are Skipper and Ragnow. Raulerson could handle the assignments but would not be in the best situation, new to the team and the position.

If the Hogs had an obvious answer at right tackle, then it would be a simple question of whether Raulerson could handle the calls at center, or if Ragnow remained the best option. One or the other would be at right guard.

Jalen Merrick might be ready to start at some point this season, but the coaches seem hesitant to go with him today. Tackle or guard. Merrick is still in the running to start, if Bielema can't stand to go smaller/lighter on the right side.

Paul Ramirez was making a move at right guard until he was injured. His injury, and the slide of Wallace, reopened the door for Rogers and Colton Jackson to get into the rotation.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

All these OL position changes have my head spinning.  Has it ever been this unsettled, this late, before?  If so, I don't remember it.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 17, 2016, 11:49:49 pm

Arkansas coaches are afraid that under the pressure of an enemy defense, run blocking will suffer with Rogers and Raulerson on the right side.

What's your source for this? I have watched every post practice and scrimmage video Q&A, and I haven't heard any coaches saying this. Have you been attending practices in person and talked to one or more of these guys in private? I couldn't know something that contradicts you, per se, but I find it hard to believe you could extract some information like this. I just finished watching yesterday's Bielema presser, and he didn't seem to indicate any problems with Raulerson, so I really want to know your source.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!