Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A different view of the O'Line

Started by Lake City Hog, August 14, 2016, 06:29:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

We will see in a few weeks for sure, but I have been feeling pretty good for a few weeks about the OL. LB/safety is still my concerns.

a0ashle

It certainly won't be perfect but it will be serviceable and constantly improving, and that's all we can ask for after losing 3 starters.

presidenthog

they keep switching guys put and that is concerning. someone has to step up or we end up being very mediocre starting out. it will get better but we will see.

bphi11ips

The O-line will be better than last year.  The secondary is where we still lack experienced SEC talent.  There are bright spots but little depth.  The secondary and special teams will determine whether this team goes 10-2 or better, which it can do, or 7-5 or 8-4 as the talking heads predict. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 14, 2016, 06:46:24 pm
We will see in a few weeks for sure, but I have been feeling pretty good for a few weeks about the OL. LB/safety is still my concerns.

They are fine at linebacker and safety.
[CENSORED]!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 14, 2016, 09:59:21 pm

I really feel that this is the case. From what I have heard, Paul Rhodes has been working wonders in the secondary and that him and Robb Smith are perfectly on the same sheet of music.

In the Army we say "no plan ever survives first contact", so I reckon we'll see.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hawgzinbowlz

Raulerson gives us flexibility on the OL the will serve the team well.
The OL will gel and get the job done. We have enough talent and CBB has retooled many times in the past, with great success.
Not too many concerns with the '16 Hogs, and OL isn't one of them.

" GO HOGS "

lumphog

"THIS"  will be the BEST O-Line in years & will ROADGRADE!!!!!!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lumphog on August 14, 2016, 10:30:37 pm
"THIS"  will be the BEST O-Line in years & will ROADGRADE!!!!!!!

I expect the Oline to be basically competent. The initial starters will be the ones who can execute all the calls, make the fewest mental mistakes. Not all of the best blockers will be on the field.
[CENSORED]!

gmarv

if skipper the great dane and ragnow can be dominant on the leftside the other two would just have to be serviceable for this to be a very good line.doesn,t that seem reasonable and possible?

Arthur pigby sellers.

Really good news onRaulerson's competence, but unfortunate to hear that Jackson and Wallace are not getting it done. I would have much rather heard that one of them nailed down the RT spot.  Not to be a Debbie Downer but this worries me a little about our line.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Do we really know Jackson and Wallace aren't getting it done? Or is it just a matter of finding the best five?

EFBAB

longpig

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on August 15, 2016, 08:50:36 am
Do we really know Jackson and Wallace aren't getting it done? Or is it just a matter of finding the best five?

EFBAB

Based on everything we've been told to this point, I haven't seen anything that suggests they're not, other than not being 1st team for the scrimmage.  The RT will likely be someone that's built for it.   
Don't be scared, be smart.

welchog

Is there a possibility of OLine by platoon or is that just not done?   Like as been said, it isn't that the depth isn't there, it is that in a few spots there isn't a clear separation.   Could we field basically two OLines and provide fresher legs throughout games?

PonderinHog

Quote from: welchog on August 15, 2016, 09:50:43 am
Is there a possibility of OLine by platoon or is that just not done?   Like as been said, it isn't that the depth isn't there, it is that in a few spots there isn't a clear separation.   Could we field basically two OLines and provide fresher legs throughout games?
Nooooooooooooooooo!  Work them in one at a time!

longpig

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 15, 2016, 09:54:55 am
Nooooooooooooooooo!  Work them in one at a time!

At the most a side at a time. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 14, 2016, 09:59:21 pm
Hope you are right, but this has been the biggest weakness on this team IMO since JLS took over and it has only marginally improved since. Speight had a good year, Turner had a good year, Gaines was decent a couple years, but we have not had complete units in either of these areas since the Cotton Bowl team.

colbs

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 15, 2016, 10:16:15 am
Hope you are right, but this has been the biggest weakness on this team IMO since JLS took over and it has only marginally improved since. Speight had a good year, Turner had a good year, Gaines was decent a couple years, but we have not had complete units in either of these areas since the Cotton Bowl team.
Arkansas has been thin at both of these positions long before JLS.  There were some pretty decent units but never across the board have they really good at those two positions in awhile.  Especially at LB  It seems like BB is focusing on both positions and trying to build more quality depth.   

AugustaHog

All accounts indicate that Froholdt could be a real animal.  His athleticism has drawn great reviews from teammates, coaches, and media alike.  We have really lacked the ability to do a ton of pulling since CBB has been here.  Ragnow is the only OG we have had who had the feet to consistently get out there and go.  Swanson did quite a bit his SR year at C, but our OGs weren't really equipped to do that so much.  I think we could see some really interesting blocking patterns if you lined up the interior line Froholdt-Ragnow-Rogers.  All of those guys are nasty and would really enjoy pulling around and lighting somebody up.  Combine that with a true FB in Johnson and you have to like the potential for our blocking schemes.  Enos will have even more flexibility it would seem.  I don't think all the questions have been answered about this group yet, but you have to like some of the pieces.  I feel like the left side is set and we have talent to fill in the holes on the right.  Between Raulerson, Rogers, Jackson, Wallace, Merrick, Ramirez, and Malone, I would think that we will see competent OL play on that right side.

hobhog

Back up QB and the OL meshing are my only true concerns this year. OL needs chemistry and that only comes with playing next to each other so the above concerns about rotation in starting group is justified IMO. The backup QB needs to be determined in next week or so in order to build trust and confidence. I think Peavy was it until the back issue. Sounds like Storey is trying to step up. But as the saying goes (modified), "if you have 3 back up QBs you don't have any".

Hoggish1

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on August 15, 2016, 08:50:36 am

EFBAB

Good questions!

We don't know that they are not getting it done.  It might mean that both are too close to call, which would be a good thing...

Biggus Piggus

The five who know their assignments will start, and as the season unfolds, then we'll see whether the Hogs have to insert some superior athletes.
[CENSORED]!

hei5manhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 15, 2016, 09:03:36 pm
The five who know their assignments will start, and as the season unfolds, then we'll see whether the Hogs have to insert some superior athletes.

This. The Brian Wallace/Dominique Reed conundrum
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

jbcarol

SEC Network's SEC Preseason Offensive Line "Dream Team" including Ragnow

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/766737551369596928
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

theFlyingHog

Quote from: jbcarol on August 20, 2016, 07:22:34 am
SEC Network's SEC Preseason Offensive Line "Dream Team" including Ragnow

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/766737551369596928
I know I'm a homer but that picture shows just how good our uni's look

OLjunkie

Being a great OL starts in the playbook.  You have to know what the O is trying to do on each play.  If everyone does their job, the play results in a long gain every time.  Once that is understood, the variables of who to block come into play.  Film tells you how athletic or powerful each opponent is and you have to adjust accordingly.  If you watch the best OL (NFL) they do not dominate their opponent.  They finesses their opponent through understanding where the ball is going and using the proper hand placement and the all have great feet. A defender cannot make a tackle if your 300lb body is between them and the ball.  The guys that are athletic, technical, and strategic will always grade out better over an entire game than the maulers.  Mistakes kill drives and one mistake at the point of attack and the team loses that down.  Looks to me like the 5 guys that get that are the first 5 up.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: OLjunkie on August 20, 2016, 09:01:17 am
Being a great OL starts in the playbook.  You have to know what the O is trying to do on each play.  If everyone does their job, the play results in a long gain every time.  Once that is understood, the variables of who to block come into play.  Film tells you how athletic or powerful each opponent is and you have to adjust accordingly.  If you watch the best OL (NFL) they do not dominate their opponent.  They finesses their opponent through understanding where the ball is going and using the proper hand placement and the all have great feet. A defender cannot make a tackle if your 300lb body is between them and the ball.  The guys that are athletic, technical, and strategic will always grade out better over an entire game than the maulers.  Mistakes kill drives and one mistake at the point of attack and the team loses that down.  Looks to me like the 5 guys that get that are the first 5 up.

This is a very intelligent post.  You must be an Olineman's father.  I hear they're brilliant!

In all seriousness, what you're saying is exactly what Coach Anderson is preaching.  He knows he has 8-9 pieces that can win games, he's just figuring out where to put the pieces.  I'm excited to see today's scrimmage.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

greenie

August 20, 2016, 10:53:25 am #28 Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:35:22 am by greenie
Thanks to FANONTHEHILL and OLJunkie, and I look forward to your continued posts.  Great stuff.