Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Main things I wonder about, re: Razorback football

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 12, 2016, 12:11:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

Our defense will be nasty this year. Nasty good.

The question in every game will be...can our offense score? Our opponents (most of them) will have nasty good defenses, too.

We may see a LOT of low scoring games this season.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2016, 08:50:24 am
Yep, went from about worst to first towards the end of the season.

IMO it's because the running game finally caught up.    I think Bielema miscalculated where he thought we'd be with our running game going into fall camp last year.  It was pretty clear, on paper at least, that Arkansas could take a huge step forward if we became a legitimate threat through the air on offense. 

It's very difficult to be balanced on offense in college football because, unlike the NFL, there's a limit on how many hours a week a team can practice.  It's one of the reasons we are seeing so much spread these days, creating space opens up both facets.  -Side note: I'm not in favor of the spread, I think our offense towards the end of the season last year proved Bielema's style will absolutely work in the SEC, but that's another post. -    Anywho, with the entire nucleolus returning on offense, I think BB assumed our running game was a given. 

I think he got a little ahead of himself, maybe even a little bit greedy and looked down the road a bit in terms of adding a passing attack and chasing a championship, perhaps forgetting the very thing he preaches, 1-0. Say what you will, but there's a learning curve for newcomers in this league, even for someone like Bielema, who's grabbed a championship in a different league.     

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Steef on August 13, 2016, 09:20:46 am
Our defense will be nasty this year. Nasty good.

The question in every game will be...can our offense score? Our opponents (most of them) will have nasty good defenses, too.

We may see a LOT of low scoring games this season.

The frustrating thing is the league has never been more tough than it is today.  It wouldn't take much of a stubbed toe for a very good team to go 5-3 or even 4-4 right now. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 12, 2016, 12:47:15 pm
I honestly believe we would blow them out at home. Tcu gets the advantage of playing in the weakest power 5 conference. They lost most all of their offense (only 2 real starters returning, and one contributor coming back from injury in Slanina) and the defense is woefully undersized. I  believe we will pull out a fairly comfortable 2 score win.

I also believe our OL will be better this year than last, seems almost as much size and strength with more athleticism.
the last undersized defense beat us......Rutgers anyone?

PP

PonderinHog

nchogg

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2016, 04:38:24 pm
We moved the ball against Toledo and Tech, we couldn't score in the first, nor stop them in the latter. However, we did play much better after their "meeting".
Coach Enos ran the ball a lot like Coach B liked and when he opened the play book like Coach B instructed him to do we moved the ball and scored. Our play calling from game 1 will be much better than game 1 last year. We will score more points than TCU. Wait and see.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 13, 2016, 09:45:23 am
Toledo.

Yup. Out-quicked us, slanted a lot, had us going sideways, created confusion and mismatches in terms of speed and quickness, when we were accustomed to blocking "man" and plowing straight ahead for the most part. This year, they have been taught to Zone (or area) block and I don't see the slanting and twists being as effective as they have been in the past against us. But we still rang up a lot of yards, we just weren't effective in the RZ and our defense didn't perform well at all.

I believe we will see a different and better offensive and defensive unit for Arkansas earlier in the year than we did last year.
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

Quote from: lumphog on August 12, 2016, 09:52:02 pm
RW3  WILL giter done & I think the O-line will be a force running the ball, then the play action, we will be FINE!!!!
My thinking.

younghog

if Coach Enos has full playbook and OPEN up attack as he did beginning game 6.. My money says we beat TCU by 18

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: nchogg on August 13, 2016, 10:01:13 am
Coach Enos ran the ball a lot like Coach B liked and when he opened the play book like Coach B instructed him to do we moved the ball and scored. Our play calling from game 1 will be much better than game 1 last year. We will score more points than TCU. Wait and see.

Not sure which cave you were in watching our games, but the running game was friken stuffed early on.  We could only move the ball through the air, which was fine between the 20's, not so much in the redzone. 

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: younghog on August 13, 2016, 10:12:32 am
if Coach Enos has full playbook and OPEN up attack as he did beginning game 6.. My money says we beat TCU by 18

GO HOGS

I guess if opening up the playbook equated to running the ball, then, yeah.  Pad levels along the line were terrible the first couple of games.  A&M was the fist time the running game started showing signs of life. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 09:25:35 am
IMO it's because the running game finally caught up.    I think Bielema miscalculated where he thought we'd be with our running game going into fall camp last year.  It was pretty clear, on paper at least, that Arkansas could take a huge step forward if we became a legitimate threat through the air on offense. 

It's very difficult to be balanced on offense in college football because, unlike the NFL, there's a limit on how many hours a week a team can practice.  It's one of the reasons we are seeing so much spread these days, creating space opens up both facets.  -Side note: I'm not in favor of the spread, I think our offense towards the end of the season last year proved Bielema's style will absolutely work in the SEC, but that's another post. -    Anywho, with the entire nucleolus returning on offense, I think BB assumed our running game was a given. 

I think he got a little ahead of himself, maybe even a little bit greedy and looked down the road a bit in terms of adding a passing attack and chasing a championship, perhaps forgetting the very thing he preaches, 1-0. Say what you will, but there's a learning curve for newcomers in this league, even for someone like Bielema, who's grabbed a championship in a different league.     

I respectfully disagree. A balanced offense is a necessity in College football. If an offense is strongly run oriented and opposing defenses stack the box to stop the run, that offense must be able to pass the ball very efficiently or they'll get no where. It's all about taking what the defense gives them. Good offenses are able to run when the want to and need to as well as Pass when they want to and need to.
       As I stated in an earlier post, CBB has learned since his arrival that there are things that he did on offense in the Big 10 that will not work in the SEC so his offense has evolved from a more run heavy offense to a more balanced offense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 10:13:06 am
Not sure which cave you were in watching our games, but the running game was friken stuffed early on.  We could only move the ball through the air, which was fine between the 20's, not so much in the redzone. 

We ran for 228 yards against Tech for 5.3 apc. We went for 232 against aTm for a 5.5 average.

younghog

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 10:17:11 am
I guess if opening up the playbook equated to running the ball, then, yeah.  Pad levels along the line were terrible the first couple of games.  A&M was the fist time the running game started showing signs of life. 

I'm so tired of losing to A&M I can't explain it.. Last 4 games at Jerry World I have been there.. ITS BEEN ROUGH
GO HOGS

younghog

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 10:17:11 am

It also was a product of the OLine first couple of games as well
GO HOGS

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: younghog on August 13, 2016, 10:33:45 am
I'm so tired of losing to A&M I can't explain it.. Last 4 games at Jerry World I have been there.. ITS BEEN ROUGH
not sure I will go back, $8.50 for a damn bottle of beer was ridiculous

PP

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ComeonHogs!!! on August 13, 2016, 08:33:38 am
Just some thoughts,

Our front four will have to slow there rush to keep hill in the pocket. this will make him have to throw it. If our secondary can cover for 2.5 to 3 sec we will be good. A tall order for us. the short dinks and dunks is what could cause concern. may have to give that up and stop them in the red zone.
This is what we did the first half of last year, when seemingly all of Hogville seems to think we COULDN'T rush the passer, when in fact the majority of the time they WEREN'T trying to rush the passer!

This year however, I believe the improved athletes we have on the DL along with the hopefully improved LB and DB play, RS is going to turn them loose a little more like he did towards the end of the season last year.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2016, 10:29:18 am
I respectfully disagree. A balanced offense is a necessity in College football. If an offense is strongly run oriented and opposing defenses stack the box to stop the run, that offense must be able to pass the ball very efficiently or they'll get no where. It's all about taking what the defense gives them. Good offenses are able to run when the want to and need to as well as Pass when they want to and need to.
       As I stated in an earlier post, CBB has learned since his arrival that there are things that he did on offense in the Big 10 that will not work in the SEC so his offense has evolved from a more run heavy offense to a more balanced offense.

Let's see your list of balanced offenses.  Historically speaking, college football's offenses are typically one dimensional.  That's not to say there aren't some teams who are efficient with making plays in one facet that's not their strength, or having the ability to do as you described, make D's pay for stacking the box for example.  But you just don't see teams in college with an ability to, at their own will or choosing, play smash mouth one minute and then flip a switch, and start throwing the ball all around the lot, with equal efficiency.  That's the true definition of balance in my book, or at least that's the definition I was referencing with my post. 

The vast difference in blocking techniques between the two facets is why you seldom see true balance, even in the pro's, and with the limited amount of time available in practice, it's virtually impossible at the college level.  Typically what happens is a team that works on being great at both running and passing accomplish neither.  Spread offenses allows teams to become more balanced, in terms of equal snaps rushing and passing, mainly because the blocking techniques in space are similar in both running and passing.  Note I said similar, not exact.  D coordinators are catching up, and it's only a matter of time before spreads go by the wayside much like the wishbone. 

Arkansas is a run first offense that strives to gut teams with the passing game.  At the end of the season last year, our offense was truly a work of art, making huge plays on the ground and through the air.  But make no mistake, the reason this happened is simple.  Teams were forced to respect the run game.     

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2016, 10:30:13 am
We ran for 228 yards against Tech for 5.3 apc. We went for 232 against aTm for a 5.5 average.

Granted A&M's D wasn't much better but Tech's run D was among the worst in the country.  Absolutely putrid and we were unable to establish any semblance of dominance on the ground.  A&M was the first time we looked like a team trying to establish the run first.  The fact of the matter is, with our size and athleticism up front, if we decided to call three run plays in a row, D's like Techs should have been be hard pressed to stop us from getting ten yards. 

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: younghog on August 13, 2016, 10:34:59 am
It also was a product of the OLine first couple of games as well

I believe we were too heavily weighted in time spent working on pass blocking technique in fall camp last year.  It's not like riding a bike.  The techniques are so vastly different, it took some time to reestablish the dominant muscles required for run blocking.   

GuvHog

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 11:58:25 am
Let's see your list of balanced offenses.  Historically speaking, college football's offenses are typically one dimensional.  That's not to say there aren't some teams who are efficient with making plays in one facet that's not their strength, or having the ability to do as you described, make D's pay for stacking the box for example.  But you just don't see teams in college with an ability to, at their own will or choosing, play smash mouth one minute and then flip a switch, and start throwing the ball all around the lot, with equal efficiency.  That's the true definition of balance in my book, or at least that's the definition I was referencing with my post. 

The vast difference in blocking techniques between the two facets is why you seldom see true balance, even in the pro's, and with the limited amount of time available in practice, it's virtually impossible at the college level.  Typically what happens is a team that works on being great at both running and passing accomplish neither.  Spread offenses allows teams to become more balanced, in terms of equal snaps rushing and passing, mainly because the blocking techniques in space are similar in both running and passing.  Note I said similar, not exact.  D coordinators are catching up, and it's only a matter of time before spreads go by the wayside much like the wishbone. 

Arkansas is a run first offense that strives to gut teams with the passing game.  At the end of the season last year, our offense was truly a work of art, making huge plays on the ground and through the air.  But make no mistake, the reason this happened is simple.  Teams were forced to respect the run game.     

Understood. What I was referring to as a balanced offense is one that keeps the defenses guessing. One where defenses can't stack the box to stop the run because they have to respect the offenses ability to pass and do it well and they can't sell out to defend the pass because they must respect the offenses ability to run the ball and run it well.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 13, 2016, 10:40:18 am
This is what we did the first half of last year, when seemingly all of Hogville seems to think we COULDN'T rush the passer, when in fact the majority of the time they WEREN'T trying to rush the passer!

This year however, I believe the improved athletes we have on the DL along with the hopefully improved LB and DB play, RS is going to turn them loose a little more like he did towards the end of the season last year.

I think you are spot on.  We've got to be tighter when lining up in coverage against spread teams. And also having the ability to throw in hybrid type LB's, for lack of a better term, enables us to create some confusion at or near the LOS.  Typically Smith likes to line up and play it straight, it will be interesting to see how much we stray from that mindset this year.     

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2016, 12:32:07 pm
Understood. What I was referring to as a balanced offense is one that keeps the defenses guessing. One where defenses can't stack the box to stop the run because they have to respect the offenses ability to pass and do it well and they can't sell out to defend the pass because they must respect the offenses ability to run the ball and run it well.

IMO you have to establish an identity on offense.  I've said all along that Bielema's offense will work in the SEC because of this.  But there's an interesting stat that's often overlooked regarding BB's offensive approach.  The balance doesn't come from an equal number of plays on the ground and through the air, the balance comes in total yards.  For example, what does it say about an offense with stats like this?  80 plays, 55 Rushing for 265 and 25 passing for 245.  This is what an offense looks like that establishes the ground game while using the passing game to go for the D's throat.  IMO, what we witnessed the last half of the season last year is the blueprint for things to come. Quite the contrast from the warnings signaled by the chicken littles coining Bielema's offense HDN 2.0. The pieces are starting to fall into place.  The two deep is transitioning from being loaded with inexperienced Freshmen and Sophomores to experienced upper classmen.  Still a work in progress, but we are light years ahead of where we were 3 years ago at this time.     

GuvHog

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 12:54:14 pm
IMO you have to establish an identity on offense.  I've said all along that Bielema's offense will work in the SEC because of this.  But there's an interesting stat that's often overlooked regarding BB's offensive approach.  The balance doesn't come from an equal number of plays on the ground and through the air, the balance comes in total yards.  For example, what does it say about an offense with stats like this?  80 plays, 55 Rushing for 265 and 25 passing for 245.  This is what an offense looks like that establishes the ground game while using the passing game to go for the D's throat.  IMO, what we witnessed the last half of the season last year is the blueprint for things to come. Quite the contrast from the warnings signaled by the chicken littles coining Bielema's offense HDN 2.0. The pieces are starting to fall into place.  The two deep is transitioning from being loaded with inexperienced Freshmen and Sophomores to experienced upper classmen.  Still a work in progress, but we are light years ahead of where we were 3 years ago at this time.     

I agree. For me, having a balance offense doesn't mean running the same number of passing plays as running plays every game, It's an offense that forces defenses to respect their ability to both run and pass very, very well.

Last year's Tennessee team is a good example of a team that was heavily one dimensional early in the season. Their forte was running the ball but their passing game was poor so the Hogs stacked the box and forced them to win with the pass. They couldn't do it. LSU was the same way last season.

tophawg19

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2016, 10:29:18 am
I disagree with your statement on taking what the defense gives . I think you are better off controlling the defense by using your advantages to create mismatches and forcing the defense to play outside their comfort zone . By making them do what they don't want to , you force mistakes . And you keep changing to keep them off balance . you dictate the speed, tempo and style they play
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Lake City Hog

Top, I see that as one of the brightest spots with Enos!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 13, 2016, 02:05:24 pm
I disagree with your statement on taking what the defense gives . I think you are better off controlling the defense by using your advantages to create mismatches and forcing the defense to play outside their comfort zone . By making them do what they don't want to , you force mistakes . And you keep changing to keep them off balance . you dictate the speed, tempo and style they play
you do know that guv regurgitated that from something he read once?

PP

nchogg

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 10:13:06 am
The same cave you were in. Yes we did get stuffed and they knew when we passed. But after the meeting and they changes in play calling we moved the ball in running, passing, sweeps etc. Quit being so hi and mighty.

murthage

The preseason NCAA football rankings don't support some of the above evaluations:

CBSSPORTS               TCU 14 Arkansas 43
ESPN                         TCU 14 Arkansas not in top 25
AP                             TCU   7 Arkansas not in top 25
SPORTINGNEWS         TCU 25 ARKANSAS 23
SPORTSILLUSTRATED  TCU 20 Arkansas not in top 25

Other polls have similar results.  However, I am a believer in Bielema and his staff, and am confident that we will be prepared, and win the game.  It's back to being the Rodney Dangerfield of the SEC.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bphi11ips

Quote from: murthage on August 14, 2016, 06:36:31 pm
The preseason NCAA football rankings don't support some of the above evaluations:

CBSSPORTS               TCU 14 Arkansas 43
ESPN                         TCU 14 Arkansas not in top 25
AP                             TCU   7 Arkansas not in top 25
SPORTINGNEWS         TCU 25 ARKANSAS 23
SPORTSILLUSTRATED  TCU 20 Arkansas not in top 25

Other polls have similar results.  However, I am a believer in Bielema and his staff, and am confident that we will be prepared, and win the game.  It's back to being the Rodney Dangerfield of the SEC.

College football predictions have generally been based upon two things - recent past and schedule.  Today you can throw in recruiting rankings, which are by-and-large self-fulfilling prophecies based upon recent past, which is largely a function of recent records, which is largely a function of scheduling. 

I can't wait to kick the crap out of TCU and send a common sense message to the college football numbskulls.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razorbackkid

I just hope it doesn't come down to a field goal attempt for the win.....or loss.

Let the big boys up front on defense and offense dictate the game.  Old saying, "If you don't have the ball you ain't gonna score".

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

MJ2

Given that the program has been "snake bit" for the last 3+decades, I worry about what snake bites us and when?    Will it be Austin Allen getting injured?   Running back decimation from injury?    Arrests?  Kicking problems?    Those are things that can worry a Hog fan into a squeeeeeel.

DeltaBoy

My TCU fans are worried about us running the ball and having 7-10 minute TD and that will cause them not to have the ball enough to win.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 14, 2016, 09:22:15 pm
I can't wait to kick the crap out of TCU and send a common sense message to the college football numbskulls.
agreed.  TCU may be ranked, but I can't fathom us losing to them.  I'm sure they will put up a fight, but I think we control this game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 13, 2016, 11:58:25 am

I suspect that many hogvillians remember the Petrino mantra - run when you want to run, pass when you want to pass. (Something like that.)

CBB wants to be able to do either, if necessary, but loves nothing more than beating a team into submission.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 15, 2016, 02:26:47 pm
I suspect that many hogvillians remember the Petrino mantra - run when you want to run, pass when you want to pass. (Something like that.)

CBB wants to be able to do either, if necessary, but loves nothing more than beating a team into submission.

Crush the enemy, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 15, 2016, 02:26:47 pm

Petrino wanted the pass game to set up the run in that his passing game forced D's to play honest thus opening up the run game.  When BP's offense was jelling, the offense would hit big plays both running and passing.  Bielema's offense has big play potential with both facets as well.  It's really remarkable if you think about it.  Totally opposite approaches with similar results when things are humming.  One thing I like about BB's offense, as the season goes on and D's are banged up, against us they gotta play the most physical offense they see all year.       

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 15, 2016, 03:23:28 pm
Petrino wanted the pass game to set up the run in that his passing game forced D's to play honest thus opening up the run game.  When BP's offense was jelling, the offense would hit big plays both running and passing.  Bielema's offense has big play potential with both facets as well.  It's really remarkable if you think about it.  Totally opposite approaches with similar results when things are humming.  One thing I like about BB's offense, as the season goes on and D's are banged up, against us they gotta play the most physical offense they see all year.       

"They remembah Novembah . . ."

Now if we can just figure out Septembah.

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 12, 2016, 12:11:24 pm
At this point, it is reasonable to expect that the Arkansas-TCU game will be low scoring. Isn't that what you have to believe?

Both teams will have new starting QBs and RBs. Arkansas will have three new Oline starters, TCU four. Both teams return most of their top pass-catchers. Both have most of their defensive starters back.

Whoever turns out to be better at QB probably wins. And that means the game might be decided by how good Kenny Hill is. We pretty much know who Austin Allen is.

We pretty much know who AA is? A guy who hasn't started a single game yet? I'd say we know much more about Kenny Hill than is known about Austin since Kenny has a lot more actual game experience.

The thinking would be that this would be a low scoring game due to the strength of the defenses and greenness of the offense. However, it quite often happens that such games end up being a lot more high scoring than predicted. Neither team really knows what to game plan for on defense. There isn't much tape on Austin or Whaley or how our OL will block with new players and coaches for them to prepare for and counter. Vice Versa as well. Presumably the strength of each team will be on defense, but both team can study the tapes of the defenses and game plan for those defenses. So, low scoring is certainly the expectation, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it be in the 30's each.

QuoteTCU's starting ends combined for 16 sacks last season. They are very much pass rush specialists. The linebackers are smallish but make a lot of plays. DC Dick Bumpas is long gone. Their defense had problems last season without Bumpas, and the college football world believes TCU will bounce back and have another great defense. Maybe they have more issues than that?

Hard to tell much there. Patterson is in that same upper tier of coaches as guys like Bielema so I will assume that he will have his team well coached to the best of his ability. Scheme wise I believe they will be good to go. However, recruiting IMO is where the difference will be and where we have a distinct advantage.

QuoteAnother part of this pick is which team deserves more faith in its ability to improve on defense. Arkansas allowed 24.6 points per game (in regulation) last season, with three opponents scoring more than 30 points in regulation vs. four under 20. TCU allowed 27.2 ppg in 2015 - gave up 30+ six times vs. five under 20.

Don't follow them that closely so hard to tell. They return a lot of players who should in theory be improved. For us, we are invoking a fairly drastic scheme change from last year it seems, going back to the style of defense we played in 2014. Whether it yields the same results remains to be seen, but many of the same players return from that 2014 defense, and it is CRS's 3rd year as DC so I think our defense will be something to marvel at compared to last year (swidt?)

QuoteThe Frogs might be more talented than the Hogs are at LB and in the secondary. But I can't see their Dline being as good.

maybe, I have no idea on than what their roster and historical record shows. Their DL is small and probably designed to disrupt big 12 offenses. In that case, "good" could be relative. Keep in mind, Missouri and Toledo and such teams had undersized DL's and have had success with our OL by being quicker.

QuoteHave to be impressed with the speed/quickness that Arkansas has managed to recruit for the offense. Can we get some of that now for the defensive secondary?

Ramirez will be bringing in a big upgrade in speed and athleticism to the secondary position. I think many will be surprised to see how fast guys like Dean, Collins, and Toliver are. Heard complaints time and time again of how Tevin was too slow and small, only to have him run in the 4.4's at the pro day and be drafted to the NFL. Similarly with Herndon at WR and he's in his third year in the NFL having a solid season on the regular season roster last year with the Chargers.

QuoteBoth Arkansas and TCU are something of a mystery at running back. It is hard to imagine Bret Bielema/Dan Enos giving freshmen much playing time at Fort Worth. The young backs have to learn the offense, and they do not have much time before game two. That means leaning primarily on Rawleigh Williams III (coming off major injury) and Kody Walker (always coming off injury). Will Williams and Walker produce modest yards, or also some big plays and touchdowns?

Agreed, but both have really good talent coming in. Again, not intimately familiar with TCU's individual players, but I think you'll be surprised how much Whaley plays. Injury concerns IMO should be thrown out of the window with RW3. He isn't just coming off an injury. He has been healthy enough to play against Bama for over 6 months now. The only reason he didn't take contact in the spring was because we had the luxury to not have to do that.

The only reason the 3 W's won't produce yards would be if our OL is doing very poorly. RW3 was able to rip off a couple of big runs vs Tenner last season when he was finally coming into his own. Whaley is ripping off multiple 20+ yarders in scrimmages vs our first team D. Walker has the burst and agility to get 10-15 yards as well, and more in ideal conditions. If the OL does a modest job, they will produce yards and some chunk plays.

QuotePaul Rhoads seems to be satisfied with a good number of players in the secondary, but I wonder whether the DBs will come up with big plays -- third down stops, tackles for losses and turnovers. That kind of production might depend on how good the pass rush is.

Depends on if we we do run the schemes we did in 14 or not that game. Hard to get third down stops when you are 7+ yards back. If we are pressing and having DB's up at the LoS, then these are largely the same group of corners that excelled in 14 sans Tevin Mitchel. Tolliver was one of our leading tackle for loss players last year regardless of position, so he is certainly capable. Agreed the pass rush will determine a lot of it. How confident the coaches are in the LB group will also determine how much of a pass rush they want the players to get.

QuoteSpeaking of that -- is the defensive line that good, the offensive line that poor, or something in the middle of those extremes?

Probably a bit of both. We have seen what Wise Jr can do disruptively. He had as many or more sacks as a true freshmen behind guys like Smith and Flowers than anybody not named Wise Jr had all of last season. He had 8 sacks last season and started as many games as Ricky Town did. He also graded well against the run. The question for him is can he do that all game long and for a full season? Ledbetter is moving inside making him faster relative to the OL players he is going against and Tawain has shed some weight to be quicker as well.

OL hasn't been terribly poor this offseason either. They've allowed penetration at times, but have still been good enough for the offense to get the ball moving down the field and for big runs to be broken off and long passes to be completed. It reminds me of two good NFL units squaring off. For example, something like the Steeler's WR's vs Seahawks secondary. Both sides made some good plays. When you have the talent we have on the OL, our OL is going to get some victories and they have. Similarly, when you have players like Wise and Agim, they are going to win some battles as well and they have. I'd say by season's end, both of our lines will be widely regarded as top 5 in the conference.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

If you feel like Austin Allen has a lot of upside potential vs. BA, then maybe we don't know what he can be. Otherwise, he looks like a competent player who is not going to surprise anyone.
[CENSORED]!

rzrbackramsfan

I think another reason for our running game not being what it could be is that we were really a 1 back team with AC and I don't think we felt to comfortable having him tote the rock. This three headed monster that we know As the Internet should allow us to run more.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 15, 2016, 04:09:00 pm
I think another reason for our running game not being what it could be is that we were really a 1 back team with AC and I don't think we felt to comfortable having him tote the rock. This three headed monster that we know As the Internet should allow us to run more.
I don't think it was that we weren't comfortable with AC, he got plenty of touches.  but we got in a lot of shootouts and Allen to Hunter/Morgan in the clutch became a necessity.

honestly I'm excited about what hatcher can do.  he was coming on strong before the injury last year.  I hope he becomes the weapon we were all hoping for.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeshaHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 15, 2016, 02:21:55 pm
agreed.  TCU may be ranked, but I can't fathom us losing to them.  I'm sure they will put up a fight, but I think we control this game.

Seriously?  You can't even "fathom" some sort of scenario where we don't win this game?

Goodness, the kool-aid is flowing on this board and in this thread. 

We have plenty of questions regarding the OL, LBs, and secondary.  I believe AA will get it done just fine, but who knows how long it will take him to get up to game speed?  Combine all of this with our recent history of slow starts and this is a scary game.  Especially considering the competition.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 15, 2016, 04:00:04 pm
Hard to tell much there. Patterson is in that same upper tier of coaches as guys like Bielema so I will assume that he will have his team well coached to the best of his ability. Scheme wise I believe they will be good to go. However, recruiting IMO is where the difference will be and where we have a distinct advantage.

The last time Bielema faced a Gary Patterson coached team, the following result occurred.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=310012628

Bielema does now have better talent at Arkansas than he had at Wisconsin, but Patterson probably also has better talent now at TCU than he had in that 2011 game.  The talent of the starters for both us and TCU could be a wash, but we may have a depth advantage over TCU.

Coaching will be an aspect that looms large for this game.  Patterson can coach.  It may explain why it has been rumored that he has been promised a mineral right to a shale that is worth $20 million if he stays at TCU (that $20 million mineral right being a bonus in addition to his other compensation).

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: DeshaHog on August 15, 2016, 05:20:49 pm
Seriously?  You can't even "fathom" some sort of scenario where we don't win this game?

Goodness, the kool-aid is flowing on this board and in this thread. 

We have plenty of questions regarding the OL, LBs, and secondary.  I believe AA will get it done just fine, but who knows how long it will take him to get up to game speed?  Combine all of this with our recent history of slow starts and this is a scary game.  Especially considering the competition.

Whole lotta fail in this post

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 15, 2016, 06:38:04 pm
Whole lotta fail in this post
the hateraid is strong with that one.

I just don't see a big 12 spread team being able to stand up to the abuse we are going to inflict on them. 

PorkSoda

TCU coach Gary Patterson said his defense is not as seasoned as it might seem.

"It's not an experienced group," Patterson said after practice Tuesday. "That's what you guys keep saying it is. It's a bunch of guys that played. These guys are freshmen and sophomores. We have five seniors out there. We've got about seven juniors. Everybody else is freshmen and sophomores."

"They're still freshmen and sophomore bodies," Patterson said. "They don't know how to handle how we practice. So until we can do that, they need to understand — we can get to a lot of places, but we were just average today."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article94740587.html#storylink=cpy

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 15, 2016, 06:46:08 pm
the hateraid is strong with that one.

I just don't see a big 12 spread team being able to stand up to the abuse we are going to inflict on them.

TCU was able to stand up to the abuse of a fully Bielema Big 10 team back when TCU was still Mountain West I believe and that was a talented wiscy team. This TCU team IMO won't near the talent that one did, or if it does, it lacks a lot of the experience. Granted, our team might struggle vs that wiscy team as well.

I believe that barring some amazing recruiting by Patterson, our talent top to bottom beats their talent come 2016. However, this is a TCU team that is consistently one of the better teams in the country. LSU with one of their best teams only beat TCU at a neutral site by 10 points.

I think we win, but if you have visions of 2014 vs Tech, that is not the style or mentality of the TCU program.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse