Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin + Sports Talk = Great Radio

Started by schmoov1, August 02, 2016, 06:39:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

schmoov1

When he is on the air.. The show becomes so much more entertaining and informative...

When he is done with TV..He should start his own show .. "The Real Deal" with Mike Irwin...

Wildhog

He's informed, but way too thin skinned and constantly insulting anyone that disagrees with him. Maybe that's what people want, idk.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

woodhog14

Quote from: schmoov1 on August 02, 2016, 06:39:59 pm
When he is on the air.. The show becomes so much more entertaining and informative...

When he is done with TV..He should start his own show .. "The Real Deal" with Mike Irwin...

I agree.

Seebs

Quote from: Wildhog on August 02, 2016, 06:42:58 pm
He's informed, but way too thin skinned and constantly insulting anyone that disagrees with him.

Which I find entertaining as do most people that are not stupid.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Wildhog

Quote from: Seebs on August 02, 2016, 06:43:54 pm
Which I find entertaining as do most people that are not stupid.

To each their own.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

He's informed, but way too thin skinned and constantly insulting anyone that disagrees with him. Maybe that's what people want, idk.

Anyone that doesn't have facts to support their point of view might deserve to be insulted. Remember you said he is informed. Most fans aren't. That being said I've not really heard him insult anybody personally.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Biggus Piggus

I don't know why any shows in Arkansas take callers. The callers are horrible.
[CENSORED]!

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 02, 2016, 06:57:45 pm

You're a spare. You know good and well you listen up when Tiger Bait calls in!   ;)
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 02, 2016, 06:57:45 pm
Come down here and listen to the callers. You will wonder if any of them ever went to school. IGNORANT ???  Mike Irwin is my favorite journalist!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 02, 2016, 07:22:28 pm
Come down here and listen to the callers. You will wonder if any of them ever went to school. IGNORANT ???  Mike Irwin is my favorite journalist!

Arkansas callers make Finebaum callers sound bright.
[CENSORED]!

longpig

Everyone who's been on the receiving end of Mike's wrath had it coming.   Hogville is a fair bit less stupid than most fan sites thanks to him.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 02, 2016, 07:52:37 pm

Except the ones from Alabama.....I don't listen to sports radio, and very rarely what any of Finebaum, except for the interviews with coaches or writers.

onebadrubi

Seen by his defense of Chaney that sprinkle completely squashed at sec media days this year.

Besides that Mike is a real good book of knowledge on many years of razorback football!

Dugann

mike can or could really be a radio stud. like to see a full show with him at head
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 02, 2016, 08:47:48 pm
Seen by his defense of Chaney that sprinkle completely squashed at sec media days this year.

Besides that Mike is a real good book of knowledge on many years of razorback football!

Continue please. I'm not aware of what was defended and what was squashed.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Piggfoot

You might say the same thing for some intetnet posters. 😜
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I listen to a hell of a lot of sports talk and this isn't the case.  He's not thin skinned when someone disagrees.  He gets a bit worked up at ridiculous/absurd situations or when people totally misconstrue facts.  Which happens quite a bit.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Boar War

The 12:00 hour segment he did with Wes Moore and Michael Smith was great.  It seems like he was doing a similar segment on Bo's show but unfortunately the timing doesn't work for me.

KlubhouseKonnected

I feel the opposite.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 02, 2016, 09:29:49 pm
I listen to a hell of a lot of sports talk and this isn't the case.  He's not thin skinned when someone disagrees.  He gets a bit worked up at ridiculous/absurd situations or when people totally misconstrue facts.  Which happens quite a bit.

This, some people call in looking to get ugly.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Dwight_K_Shrute

Complaining about a few callers when a large percentage of what's posted on message boards is drivel?  Pot meet kettle. The main difference is when idiocy is posted here it lingers on as a permanent record of someone's ignorance.  On the radio it comes and goes, and while I have heard plenty of stupid things uttered by callers on air, it pales in comparison to some of the things I've read on message boards.

Basically saying Arkansas sports radio shouldn't take callers because some sound stupid is the same as saying Hogville shouldn't allow anyone to post because posters are dumb.  We should just sit back and read the posts of the experts. 

Bottom line is they are both social media, and both have the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I've been posting on here for a long time and I'm semi-regular caller to sports talk radio.  I always hate when those in the media group all callers, all posters, or all tweeters together with blanket statements.  When I hear stupid on the radio I will call and point that out using facts and an informed opinion, much like I do when I read stupid here. 

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The Boar War on August 02, 2016, 09:37:07 pm
The 12:00 hour segment he did with Wes Moore and Michael Smith was great.  It seems like he was doing a similar segment on Bo's show but unfortunately the timing doesn't work for me.

He's also a regular on The Forum with John Nabors on 99.5 in Fayetteville.  They have an app and stream as well.  It's on from 12:00 to 2:00.  I'm not sure what days Mike is usually on though. I think it's once or twice a week. 

The Boar War

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 02, 2016, 09:57:24 pm
He's also a regular on The Forum with John Nabors on 99.5 in Fayetteville.  They have an app and stream as well.  It's on from 12:00 to 2:00.  I'm not sure what days Mike is usually on though. I think it's once or twice a week. 

Thanks

Hogsfan1981

Agreed.

Prestworthy

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 02, 2016, 08:47:48 pm

He's a good ole boy who has been in the Arkansas system for years.  He's also a "trust the coaches" kind of guy and will make anyone who challenges that ideology feel stupid.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 02, 2016, 09:03:46 pm
Continue please. I'm not aware of what was defended and what was squashed.

He came here to defend Chaney.  He said how advanced and well Chaney's playbook was and that his route tree and play calling was almighty and so good along with his play calling.  He did this while shunning anyone who said differently at the time of Chaney's departure. Also talked up Chaney's ability to develop QB's. Tried to make anyone who thought different feel stupid.

Well you can take last years Brandon Allen development example from your own eyes. Then sprinkle was asked at sec media days about the difference from Chaney to Enos, he said Enos came in and tried to keep the run game very similar but completely redid the route tree to open up passing lanes and get the right guys in spots to succeed. Which is what a lot of us claimed Chaney wasn't doing.  Chaney was often lumping receivers together which also lumped defenders together, we saw Enos call plays with routes that got specific guys open at different times.

Sprinkle didn't say it to mean a knock against Chaney, but what it appeared to be saying was just how good of a job Enos is doing.

OLDHOG

where can I get it in Maumelle, please? And thank you.

GuvHog

Quote from: Prestworthy on August 03, 2016, 07:14:14 am
He's a good ole boy who has been in the Arkansas system for years.  He's also a "trust the coaches" kind of guy and will make anyone who challenges that ideology feel stupid.

If you are referring to Mike, he is a straight shooter and calls it like it is which means he doesn't always side with the coaches. He ripped Hooty a new one during the last few years of Hooty's tenure at Arkansas (and rightfully so).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcard1964

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 02, 2016, 09:53:03 pm
Complaining about a few callers when a large percentage of what's posted on message boards is drivel?  Pot meet kettle. The main difference is when idiocy is posted here it lingers on as a permanent record of someone's ignorance.  On the radio it comes and goes, and while I have heard plenty of stupid things uttered by callers on air, it pales in comparison to some of the things I've read on message boards.

Basically saying Arkansas sports radio shouldn't take callers because some sound stupid is the same as saying Hogville shouldn't allow anyone to post because posters are dumb.  We should just sit back and read the posts of the experts. 

Bottom line is they are both social media, and both have the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I've been posting on here for a long time and I'm semi-regular caller to sports talk radio.  I always hate when those in the media group all callers, all posters, or all tweeters together with blanket statements.  When I hear stupid on the radio I will call and point that out using facts and an informed opinion, much like I do when I read stupid here. 

Wow, sensitive, aren't you.

Let me try this another way.

The stuff heard on air during the radio program = content.

I like the content to have, um, content.

The callers are ALL HORRIBLE. ALL OF THEM. EVERY DAMN ONE. I HATE HEARING ALL OF THE CALLERS. THEY ARE TERRIBLE CONTENT. I TURN THE CHANNEL WHEN THEY COME ON. I WILL NOT LISTEN TO THE HORRIBLE 100% ALL BAD AWFUL STUPID BORING REDUNDANT IGNORANT VACANT USELESS CALLERS ON ARKANSAS SPORTS TALK RADIO ALL OF IT NOT SOME OF IT ALL.
[CENSORED]!

little pigee

I think you all are STUPID!  Well, everyone except Robert Shields.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

John Nabors

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 02, 2016, 09:57:24 pm

Mainly Wednesdays and Fridays consistently. Going to try to have him on more this fall.
Twitter: @RushJohnNabors

www.hitthatline.com

swineology

Quote from: John Nabors on August 03, 2016, 05:52:48 pm
Mainly Wednesdays and Fridays consistently. Going to try to have him on more this fall.

I do enjoy Mike, he's been covering the Hogs for eleventybillion years and his insights and stories are priceless.

hoglady

Quote from: OLDHOG on August 03, 2016, 12:34:04 pm
where can I get it in Maumelle, please? And thank you.

I just by chance this week found Bo's show on KARN 920AM - Little Rock.
2-6 time slot.
I was so happy. Don't know how long I've missed that pickup just glad to have found it before football season.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on August 03, 2016, 06:23:11 pm
2-6 time slot.
I was so happy. Don't know how long I've missed that pickup just glad to have found it before football season.

It started Monday, pretty sure he tweeted it out last week sometime.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2016, 06:44:46 pm
It started Monday, pretty sure he tweeted it out last week sometime.

I would have missed that.
I'm not much of a twitter user.
Glad to see Bo's show back in Central Arkansas.
I could never seem to get a good signal out of the Conway or Hot Springs station.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 03, 2016, 01:11:09 pm
Wow, sensitive, aren't you.

Let me try this another way.

The stuff heard on air during the radio program = content.

I like the content to have, um, content.

The callers are ALL HORRIBLE. ALL OF THEM. EVERY DAMN ONE. I HATE HEARING ALL OF THE CALLERS. THEY ARE TERRIBLE CONTENT. I TURN THE CHANNEL WHEN THEY COME ON. I WILL NOT LISTEN TO THE HORRIBLE 100% ALL BAD AWFUL STUPID BORING REDUNDANT IGNORANT VACANT USELESS CALLERS ON ARKANSAS SPORTS TALK RADIO ALL OF IT NOT SOME OF IT ALL.

Now that we've determined Arkansas has the worst callers can you tell us which state has the best callers?

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Mike would have been a great manager on mid-south wrestling.  Walking around in a polyester suit with a five inch wide tie carrying a golf club or tennis racket or baseball bat managing a stable of heels who looked the part but couldn't put two words together, tripping people with the golf club when they get close to the side, sometimes even mixing it up himself.

He was born too late. 

elksnort

Quote from: OTR on August 03, 2016, 09:03:19 pm
Mike would have been a great manager on mid-south wrestling.  Walking around in a polyester suit with a five inch wide tie carrying a golf club or tennis racket or baseball bat managing a stable of heels who looked the part but couldn't put two words together, tripping people with the golf club when they get close to the side, sometimes even mixing it up himself.

He was born too late. 
Good stuff. Nice imagery

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: OTR on August 03, 2016, 09:03:19 pm

He was born too late. 

Agreed. Mike would have been Jim Cornette before Jim Cornette was Jim Cornette.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

PonderinHog

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on August 03, 2016, 09:56:30 pm
Agreed. Mike would have been Jim Cornette before Jim Cornette was Jim Cornette.
With just a thin slathering of Skandar Akbar.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 03, 2016, 10:11:48 pm
With just a thin slathering of Skandar Akbar.

Concur. Thin slathering of Skandar Akbar and maybe just a touch of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan's fulminating head.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

FreshHog

Amen. And that god awful show "drivetime sports" the hosts are even more uneducated than the callers.

Makes me  :puke: every time I think about those 2 old men who dont have a clue in the world getting paid to spew that garbage on the air waves.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: FreshHog on August 03, 2016, 11:07:59 pm
Amen. And that god awful show "drivetime sports" the hosts are even more uneducated than the callers.

Makes me  :puke: every time I think about those 2 old men who dont have a clue in the world getting paid to spew that garbage on the air waves.

Yeah. Now Rick knows baseball and he's an increadibly nice guy. But Randy hasnt gotten bad lately. His show prep must literally take 15 minutes of looking on Saturday Down South and printing off thier stories. But hes getting to the age where he is probably burned out and doesnt care.

Trey Biddy is the one that disappoints me. He has the potential to be so much better, especially during the off season, but he just seems too lazy to me. IDK how much work he does at Rivals, but I'd say roughly half of the callers in his segment call in and ask about in-state players and what kind of prospects they are, and probably 90% of the time Trey has never heard of the player they are asking about. And most of the time its players at big schools. I cant count how many times people have called in and said "What about the QB at Pine Bluff?" or "How about Fort Smith's RB, is he being looked at?" Trey's answer is almost always "Im not familiar with them..........Well dude, get familiar with them. Its kind of your job. These are in-state kids at bigger schools, it shouldnt be that hard to at least know who they are and if Arkansas is looking and what other schools are looking at them. I know you cant answer questions about every player, but its not like people call in asking about the Left Tackle at Hector or Mt Ida. Most of the calls are about the bigger schools at key positions. He just doesnt seem like he even tries. But when he DOES know about the player, he's usually pretty infromed on them and can clearly make his points to the callers.

hogcard1964

Quote from: little pigee on August 03, 2016, 03:22:00 pm
I think you all are STUPID!  Well, everyone except Robert Shields.

Speaking of Robert, is he back?  He said he would be back on August 1st.

Wildhog

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on August 04, 2016, 12:14:46 am
Yeah. Now Rick knows baseball and he's an increadibly nice guy. But Randy hasnt gotten bad lately. His show prep must literally take 15 minutes of looking on Saturday Down South and printing off thier stories. But hes getting to the age where he is probably burned out and doesnt care.

Trey Biddy is the one that disappoints me. He has the potential to be so much better, especially during the off season, but he just seems too lazy to me. IDK how much work he does at Rivals, but I'd say roughly half of the callers in his segment call in and ask about in-state players and what kind of prospects they are, and probably 90% of the time Trey has never heard of the player they are asking about. And most of the time its players at big schools. I cant count how many times people have called in and said "What about the QB at Pine Bluff?" or "How about Fort Smith's RB, is he being looked at?" Trey's answer is almost always "Im not familiar with them..........Well dude, get familiar with them. Its kind of your job. These are in-state kids at bigger schools, it shouldnt be that hard to at least know who they are and if Arkansas is looking and what other schools are looking at them. I know you cant answer questions about every player, but its not like people call in asking about the Left Tackle at Hector or Mt Ida. Most of the calls are about the bigger schools at key positions. He just doesnt seem like he even tries. But when he DOES know about the player, he's usually pretty infromed on them and can clearly make his points to the callers.

Trey has transitioned to covering current Razorbacks.  He doesn't do a lot of recruiting stuff anymore.  They should bring Danny West on to talk recruiting.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on August 04, 2016, 09:38:48 am
Trey has transitioned to covering current Razorbacks.  He doesn't do a lot of recruiting stuff anymore.  They should bring Danny West on to talk recruiting.

Yep, or not take questions. About the only time I ever listen to DTS is on a Friday afternoon driving up to a game, invariably, someone will ask a recruiting question about the nose guard from Strong and Trey will answer he doesn't know anything about him.

OLDHOG

Quote from: hoglady on August 03, 2016, 06:23:11 pm
2-6 time slot.
Thank you, I'll be listening from now on.