Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Capps

Started by Hogswarts, July 27, 2016, 08:54:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogswarts

The guys on Drivetime this afternoon were talking about Capps possibly moving to the o-line. Does anyone have any info on this? It seems like a great move. They said he played both lines in high school. We have seen how strong he is. He might be a good road grader at guard.

JaketheSnake

It has been stated several times that he will get his shot at DT.   Hope he does well there.

FANONTHEHILL

He hasn't worked with the OL this summer.  He's big, strong and incredibly agile for his size.  He could certainly play OL, but I see him moving into the DT role Ledbetter plays after this season. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

RaisinHog

Yea I remember one camp or something where he just went off last summer very athletic multi sport big man .. also I don't remember his height but I think he is a lil shorter than the offensive lineman we ussually prefer

Flatline

One of the first scholarships that Coach BB gave out.  Capps was a freshman in highschool and was beating all the seniors at camp.  After watching him lift 700 lbs like it was nothing Coach Herb saying OMG.  He will be a beast. 

hawgmasta

We have what. . . 5 seniors on the dline. We need to see what he can do on the defensive side first.

RebelW

I've been saying it since he committed that he will be on the OL before it's over with.

ricepig

Quote from: Flatline on July 27, 2016, 10:13:20 pm
One of the first scholarships that Coach BB gave out.  Capps was a freshman in highschool and was beating all the seniors at camp.  After watching him lift 700 lbs like it was nothing Coach Herb saying OMG.  He will be a beast. 

600lbs I believe, but he looked like it could have been 700.

https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/756312677471821829

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: RebelW on July 27, 2016, 10:28:09 pm
I've been saying it since he committed that he will be on the OL before it's over with.

same here... wasn't impressed at all with him defensively in high school

supersaint

Kind of reminds me of Verl Mitchell from Greene County Tech (early 90's).
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on July 28, 2016, 10:07:01 am
same here... wasn't impressed at all with him defensively in high school

Wow. Where do you guys get darn like this?
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: supersaint on July 28, 2016, 10:46:00 am
Kind of reminds me of Verl Mitchell from Greene County Tech (early 90's).

Hmm, I think Austin is a big better Mitchell, or I hope so and I'm not disparaging Verl. I hope all the new guys are better than previous player's.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2016, 11:28:02 am
Hmm, I think Austin is a big better Mitchell, or I hope so and I'm not disparaging Verl. I hope all the new guys are better than previous player's.

yeah, Verl was a modern day Hercules, at the time, but the noise around Capps has been to a much-much higher degree.. you hear about how well he moves, agile etc.. also a good BB player, alot of skills in addition to the brute strength...  he'll be like Hjalte, imo, looked at on D with the fallback that he'll probably be a very good offensive lineman if it doesn't work out... great coaches put athletes in position to succeed.. often it's not where you start.

RebelW

He don't have the speed he needs on defense. He's strong and has good feet. Would be the best OG in the nation if he gets moved there. But.. What do I know lol I'm just a fan with an opinion. There's a reason I'm not a head coach lol.

RebelW

Briston Guidry will be taking over the JL's DT spot. Guidry has the explosiveness not Capps. Capps will play against run heavy teams, or will be switched to OL. Mark my words

redleg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2016, 10:06:22 pm
He hasn't worked with the OL this summer.  He's big, strong and incredibly agile for his size.  He could certainly play OL, but I see him moving into the DT role Ledbetter plays after this season.
He'll have to beat out TJ Smith for the starting DT job in 2017, and that will be a tall order. Smith is really good. I see him backing up Bijhon Jackson next year at NG.
Arkansas will be deep on the interior D-Line for the near-future: Ledbetter, Johnson, TJ Smith, Jackson, Capps, Guidry, Marshall, Marks, Dean, and whomever else they sign in the next couple of classes.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: redleg on July 28, 2016, 02:11:11 pm
He'll have to beat out TJ Smith for the starting DT job in 2017, and that will be a tall order. Smith is really good. I see him backing up Bijhon Jackson next year at NG.
Arkansas will be deep on the interior D-Line for the near-future: Ledbetter, Johnson, TJ Smith, Jackson, Capps, Guidry, Marshall, Marks, Dean, and whomever else they sign in the next couple of classes.

We're actually incredibly thin at DL after this year - Ledbetter and Johnson are SRs this year. 

Beanum, Bijhon, and Karl Roesler will be the returning  SRs next year who have done anything at all yet.  Otherwise, we will have a few young guys who are expected to do big things (Agim, TJ Smith, Capps, Guidry) and a modest amount of unproven options (Dean, Graham, Marks, Marshall, Taylor, Watts).  Taylor was a good late addition to this class for that reason, but we've only got a single undersized DL recruit for 2017 as of right now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 28, 2016, 02:49:58 pm
We're actually incredibly thin at DL after this year - Ledbetter and Johnson are SRs this year. 

Beanum, Bijhon, and Karl Roesler will be the returning  SRs next year who have done anything at all yet.  Otherwise, we will have a few young guys who are expected to do big things (Agim, TJ Smith, Capps, Guidry) and a modest amount of unproven options (Dean, Graham, Marks, Marshall, Taylor, Watts).  Taylor was a good late addition to this class for that reason, but we've only got a single undersized DL recruit for 2017 as of right now.

Is graham definitely a DL now?

Biggus Piggus

Some of those are ends, not interior linemen.
[CENSORED]!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2016, 04:06:07 pm
Some of those are ends, not interior linemen.

Yep. I listed everybody currently listed as DL on the official roster, not including walk ons, in my post. Extremely thin next year.

supersaint

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2016, 11:28:02 am

If Capps' measurable (especially his 40) are legit, and I'm not saying they are not, then he is definitely faster than Verl.  Verl would have been an outstanding DL had he stayed there, but he was moved to OL quickly and had an excellent career there.  I agree, I hope all new players are better than us old guys were. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: RebelW on July 28, 2016, 01:47:47 pm
Briston Guidry will be taking over the JL's DT spot. Guidry has the explosiveness not Capps. Capps will play against run heavy teams, or will be switched to OL. Mark my words

You are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong on Capps. He has plenty of quickness to play DT and that's where he will play. You remind me of the group that hated on Drew Morgan. Same thing not fast enough not quick enough BS. You are convinced of your opinion but the coaches don't agree with you.

AlmaHog2011

I hope TJ Smith is all that you think. I haven't seen it. Pretty sure that Capps is not out of the picture because of TJ Smith.

RebelW

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on July 28, 2016, 06:46:53 pm
You are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong on Capps. He has plenty of quickness to play DT and that's where he will play. You remind me of the group that hated on Drew Morgan. Same thing not fast enough not quick enough BS. You are convinced of your opinion but the coaches don't agree with you.
I hope I am wrong sir, and I'm not doubting him. I just see him as an OL. I hope he is faster than he looked like he played in HS on the defensive side of the ball! And I've always been a Drew Morgan fan btw.

AirWarren

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2016, 10:52:31 am
Wow. Where do you guys get darn like this?

Because. I watched linemen for Warren just physically beat him up when he was line up on the defensive line for star city. To the point he was a non factor in games.

Now on offensive line, kid could move and I was much more impressed.

factchecker

Quote from: AP85 on July 28, 2016, 08:42:47 pm
Because. I watched linemen for Warren just physically beat him up when he was line up on the defensive line for star city. To the point he was a non factor in games.

Now on offensive line, kid could move and I was much more impressed.

He had 9 tackles and a sack against Warren last season:

skip to .20 mark to see Warren's awesome job against Capps.... and 1:15

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

onebadrubi

Usually a kid like Capps in high school is game planned for and draws double and triple teams as well.  In college he will get 1 on 1, plus better weight training, and coaching.  It's all a part of recruiting and coaching them up!

AirWarren

Quote from: factchecker on July 28, 2016, 08:59:56 pm

Sophomore year. Dominated.
Junior year. Dominated.
Senior. Ok. He got 9 tackles and a sack against a sophomore heavy line that warren had.

Lost against warren all three of those years. I don't need to see his "highlights".

onebadrubi

Quote from: AP85 on July 28, 2016, 09:53:32 pm
Junior year. Dominated.
Senior. Ok. He got 9 tackles and a sack against a sophomore heavy line that warren had.

Lost against warren all three of those years. I don't need to see his "highlights".

Aren't you a warren homer?  Maybe some bias coming out?

AirWarren

You men are so sensitive.

I simply stated in the 3 years I saw him play, I was more impressed with him on the offensive line.

Give the Vajayjay's back to your women...

JaketheSnake

Quote from: AP85 on July 28, 2016, 10:02:09 pm

I simply stated in the 3 years I saw him play, I was more impressed with him on the offensive line.

Someones sensitive. Break out the kotex

onebadrubi

You are the only one being sensitive, a little over bearing

bennyl08

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on July 28, 2016, 06:46:53 pm

Based on the highlight videos, he is right that Guidry shows more explosion than Capps. Doesn't mean that Watts doesn't have the quickness to play DT, just that whatever Capps has, Guidry certainly appears to have more. Further, while strength is largely relatively to the opponent (i.e. a really strong player may look weak if he is going against Capps), quickness is largely independent of the opponent. The only difference is if the quickness works or not. However, you can still look very quick against a quicker opponent. The opponent will simply look even quicker.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

AirWarren

Nah. I stand by my opinion. I've seen him in person for three years. 4 if you count a jr high game. I know that's not as efficient as "message board film watchers".

JaketheSnake

Quote from: AP85 on July 29, 2016, 06:42:41 am
Nah. I stand by my opinion. I've seen him in person for three years. 4 if you count a jr high game. I know that's not as efficient as "message board film watchers".
Or D1 coaching staffs

ricepig

No , you stated,  "I watched linemen for Warren just physically beat him up when he was line up on the defensive line for star city. To the point he was a non factor in games."

Next time, just say, "I was more impressed with him at OL, than DL." There's no way someone would think you were bashing a player/recruit, which is against board rules.   😋

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: AP85 on July 28, 2016, 09:53:32 pm
Junior year. Dominated.

How in the world did this kid ever show enough on the field to be recruited by Ark, Bama, LSU, OM, et al?

I don't remember that Warren OL being filled with guys who went high D1, so AC must be a freaking dog.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 28, 2016, 09:10:54 pm
Usually a kid like Capps in high school is game planned for and draws double and triple teams as well.  In college he will get 1 on 1, plus better weight training, and coaching.  It's all a part of recruiting and coaching them up!
He will be double teamed and triple teamed in college as well. Happens to Bijhon Jackson all the time. If he's anything like Jackson, he will cause havoc the moment the opponent goes 1 on 1 with him.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Seebs

Quote from: AP85 on July 29, 2016, 06:42:41 am

Someone needs a trip to da sonic in Alma. You trolled at 9:53, got a taker and blasted him at 10:02. Waited 10 minutes for a bait taker. Sad little man and the definition of a troll.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

cypress rock

He has speed. I have seen him running from 3rd on a suicide squeeze many times in his high school baseball career.

Biggus Piggus

Warren football is irrelevant. I've seen decades of goobers who thought they could judge high school players based on how they played against their favorite teams. They were all full of crap.
[CENSORED]!

hamsam

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 09:05:42 am
Warren football is irrelevant. I've seen decades of goobers who thought they could judge high school players based on how they played against their favorite teams. They were all full of crap.

My new favorite post of all time...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

wholehog92

Quote from: cypress rock on July 29, 2016, 08:16:43 am
He has speed. I have seen him running from 3rd on a suicide squeeze many times in his high school baseball career.

Good Lord.  I would hate to be the catch in that scenario.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 29, 2016, 11:00:58 am
Good Lord.  I would hate to be the catch in that scenario.

RD said he stole a few bases last year, lol.

cypress rock

He has stolen bases his whole career. I remember one day hit a line drive home run just over the dead center centerfield fence. When he touched home he looked up and said " I didn't quite get all of that one."

Vantage 8 dude

Frankly I'll not take one side or the other in this argument. From what I understand Austin is a very good athlete who potentially could do well on either side of the ball. I'm extremely content to let the coaching staff, which after all observes and assesses him every practice as well as the off season, to make the final decision. In the meantime to debate the subject is so much internet fodder.

mhsbc59

Quote from: factchecker on July 28, 2016, 08:59:56 pm

After watching the film the kid has great atheism for a big man but if he doesn't learn to stop giving up his chest he is going to get mauled by SEC olinemen
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

ricepig

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 29, 2016, 02:20:46 pm
After watching the film the kid has great atheism for a big man but if he doesn't learn to stop giving up his chest he is going to get mauled by SEC olinemen

That's what college and a redshirt is for, teaching.

PonderinHog

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 29, 2016, 02:20:46 pm
Are you saying he's going to hell if he doesn't change his ways ???

longpig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 02:41:10 pm
Are you saying he's going to hell if he doesn't change his ways ???

Yep, sounds like he doesn't have a prayer.
Don't be scared, be smart.