Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting info on CM from vol nation.

Started by JtBrash, December 05, 2017, 09:00:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JtBrash

By and large they are happy we took him out of the running for their coaching search, but one poster had some compelling info.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/286977-chad-morris-arkansas-2.html

greasy_corner

Quote from: greasy_corner on December 05, 2017, 09:05:01 pm
All he needs is a DC. 
We will score points with him, especially if we can get the right QB. Defense is the question.

ATLHog

+1 for digging that up & I'll tell you I'm rapidly moving from dejected to excited

Arkansas Fan

TebowHater

Wow, most fascinating part about this is that another poster on this board jacked this exact info and posted it as his own. Classic.

4me2know

Nosboar Accubond

dirtdobber

Quote from: JtBrash on December 05, 2017, 09:00:33 pm
By and large they are happy we took him out of the running for their coaching search, but one poster had some compelling info.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/286977-chad-morris-arkansas-2.html
Extremely good info!  Great find.  Cudos!

JtBrash

Quote from: TebowHater on December 05, 2017, 09:08:34 pm
Wow, most fascinating part about this is that another poster on this board jacked this exact info and posted it as his own. Classic.

Haha! As obsessively as I've been reading this forum, can't believe I missed this.

I was hoping for anyone but this man for a while, but I'm not as worried now. Going to give him a chance and wait for that DC hire.

kid squealer

great info....+1
SMITE ME JACKWAGONS!!!  I NEED TO BE THE -1 KING!!!

Arkansas Fan

The_MardDog

Quote from: ATLHog on December 05, 2017, 09:05:42 pm
+1 for digging that up & I'll tell you I'm rapidly moving from dejected to excited

I feel the same way. I'm starting to get a good feeling about this guy.

theFlyingHog

Looks like if we get Morris and he brings Venables on people will be scared

redeye

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 05, 2017, 09:22:15 pm
Looks like if we get Morris and he brings Venables on people will be scared

Venables was my first choice. Didn't get a look. I am pissed to say the least.

This would calm me but I just don't see it happening. I don't think Morris stands a chance in hell without a hell of a DC hire.

He doesn't do defense.

He also loves the Aggies....whom I hate. 

wooo

Airforcehawg

Someone with the technical know how needs to make that post pop up when folks log on to Hogville. It would be pretty good ointment for all of those that are butthurt.

Cambridge Hog

pigmania

If he can pull off getting Venables here, I MIGHT change my feeling about the hire.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 05, 2017, 09:06:52 pm
I'm still depressed about this hire.

Drink 2 fingers of your favorite booze and call the Dr in the morning.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Got this from there...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The Kig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 05, 2017, 09:34:36 pm
Drink 2 fingers of your favorite booze and call the Dr in the morning.

6 fingers deep on a bottle of Blantons...usually enough to have beer goggles and the ugly girl looks pretty good.  This one still is ugly... Pretty sure I can't drink her cute before passing out.
Poker Porker

LumberBacks

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 05, 2017, 09:21:40 pm
A therapist won't help us from going 4-8 every year.
Maybe Les can help you with that when he goes to Tenner.

texas tush hog

Quote from: pigmania on December 05, 2017, 09:33:49 pm
If he can pull off getting Venables here, I MIGHT change my feeling about the hire.

Yea, me too.

247Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 05, 2017, 09:37:57 pm
Got this from there...

His defense got worse his last year?

This is my main concern with the hire. He can pull a great DC here, it'd change many of our perceptions.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Pork Twain

Here is what the poster on the Vol board had to say.
Many people don't seem to know who Chad Morris is or what he is about. I spent the last few years living about 45 minutes outside of Clemson, SC and may be able to provide some additional insight from being around so many Clemson fans.

When Dabo was hired at Clemson, he got off to a very slow start, and was on the verge of being run out of town. In order to be successful, Clemson needed a complete turnaround on the offensive side of the ball. The 2010 Tiger offense was ranked ~90th in the country offensively.

Dabo turned to Chad Morris, who was then the OC at Tulsa after coaching HS football at a very high level in TX for several years. With Morris leading the O, the 2011 Clemson team ended up with the 20th best Offense in the country. The 2013 team was 9th in total offense. In his final year Morris, landed a commitment from Deshaun Watson before heading to take over a 1-11 SMU squad. Clemson's Offense after his departure is still largely the same one he installed while he was the OC. Rather than replace him with another hot OC, they opted to promote from within and keep the Offense basically the same.

At SMU, he walked into a real dumpster fire. June Jones had quit mid-season the previous year after several years of really weak recruiting. The 2014 SMU team was statistically at or very near the bottom of the charts for every category that matters.

Since taking over at SMU, Morris has driven a culture change similar to what Dabo did at Clemson and also turned the results around on the field. His team's results are rapdily trending up.

2014, the year prior to his arrival, SMU was literally one of the worst teams in the country (ranked 37 spots below where UT is currently located in the FPI). The 2014 team had an average point differential of -30.3 and managed a whopping 3228 yards of offense and 133 points for the entire season. (UT had 3493 yards and 238 points this year for reference)

Since Morris arrived at SMU, the team has been trending up drastically:

The SMU offense has gone from 269 yards/gm in 2014 to 494 yards/gm this year.

The scoring is up from 11.1 points/gm to 40.2 points/gm. As a result, the average point differential went from a -30 to a +5.

The team is also up from 1 win to 7 (heading for 8 with a bowl win this year)

The FPI ranking for the team is up from 127th to 67th (UT is 90th currently).

And the FPI Offensive Ranking is up from 119th to 21st.

He has managed all of this with the nearly empty roster left by June Jones when he bailed on SMU mid-season.
All 5 losses they had this season were to teams who are playing in bowl games this post-season.

He is a strong recruiter in the south with numerous contacts in the Texas area, but has proven he is able to recruit in the rest of the southeast as well.

While I don't think he is an absolute homerun hire, I think he is every bit as good as Venables from an X's and O's and Player Development standpoint. He would probably be quite a bit better than Venables as a figurehead due to his personality and demeanor as well.
His biggest issue from what I can see is that he chose to take an opportunity to go to a struggling school to build a head coaching resume probably 1 or 2 years too soon, while Venables stayed at Clemson as the DC.

Hopefully that info helps people to understand where Morris is coming from and why he isn't just "LOL, LOSING RECORD AT SMU, DOOLEY 2.0"

Also worth adding: It is rumored that if Morris comes here, he'd bring former Vol Marion Hobby (Clemson's former co-DC along with Venables) as his DC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

yojoe75

Who knew someone that likes Tennessee actually could make some sense?

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 05, 2017, 09:26:24 pm
Venables was my first choice. Didn't get a look. I am pissed to say the least.

This would calm me but I just don't see it happening. I don't think Morris stands a chance in hell without a hell of a DC hire.

He doesn't do defense.

He also loves the Aggies....whom I hate.

Venables didn't get a look?