Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What’s happened to loyalty?

Started by Granny fan, December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhawg

Quote from: opineonswine on December 29, 2017, 11:43:13 am
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

Thats not what I was talking about. There is obviously less crime in northwest Arkansas and less minorities so NWA is more attractive to most people. I was saying that in things like percentage of people that have degrees, cost of homes, average income, NWA and central Ar are about the same. They definitely are the two areas that carry the rest of the state.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 12:05:55 pm
You've been a member 4 days, 2 of which I did not past on at all, but ok..............

What am I missing? The romanticized view of the local hero winning the big game for the Hogs? The story of the generational talent eschewing offers from the big boys like Bama, Ohio St, etc to stay home and play for the Hogs and leading them to a great season?

Look, I get it, if there is a legit sec caliber player in state, the Hogs need to get that guy if at all possible. What I am talking about though is the idea that the Hogs have abandoned huge swaths of the state, not even bothering to look for players in those areas. Guess what, no other P% teams are looking there either because there is no legit p5 talent there.

I love the calls to the radio shows wondering why the Hogs are not looking at Johnny Hometownhero  from bump in the road special rural district 5. They think he'd be great on the Hill because he is just tearing up the 2a southwest, and last week he ran for 265 and 6 td's against double consolidated don't even have a home field to play on and have 14 players on the team. Never mind that Johnny is 5'3", weighs 128 and runs a 5'8" 40. Nope, the Hogs are just showing that part of the area disrespect by not recruiting him.

How many kids from in state are signing with other P5 schools? Bohannan went to Baylor, well, the Hogs signed another QB who is BETTER as a QB right now than is GB, but to hear it here it was all racial and class motivated.

For the last time no one is running a 5.8 and doing anything with the ball in Arkansas HS football....at least in south or east arkansas

Any good 2A back is at least a small college player....he probably never takes the ACT which is a far bigger issue than "talent" in Arkansas
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 11:29:19 am
That is correct.

Southwest, Southeast, eastern, NEA, and areas of northwest Arkansas not named Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville all are very similar economically.

It's a proven fact that NWA and Central Arkansas carry this state. And there is nothing wrong with that. Every state has its poor and less fortunate areas.

Actually timber and agriculture are the basis of the Arkansas economy....and it's not close.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on December 29, 2017, 12:37:00 pm

Any good 2A back is at least a small college player....

Do you know how many " good 2a backs " there are in the country? Why would a good 2a back automatically be at least a small college player?

You may be right about the act thing, but alot of that comes from the school and family environment, and there is nothing the UofA is going to do to change that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AirWarren

Quote from: IronHog on December 29, 2017, 12:44:55 pm

Actually timber and agriculture are the basis of the Arkansas economy....and it's not close.

Oh trust me, I know. My family has been deeply involved in the timber industry for a long time and it provided my family a good living while growing up.

But some people, including NWA and Central Arkansas thinks it begins and ends in those two places. And that's false. That's the beauty of small town Arkansas. These towns make it just fine without NWA and Central Arkansas.

Remember, I am a proud SEARK boy....always will be!

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 01:08:07 pm

That's the beauty of small town Arkansas. These towns make it just fine without NWA and Central Arkansas.

But the UofA does not sign their football players, so it must be that the university hates those small towns.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 12:54:40 pm
Do you know how many " good 2a backs " there are in the country? Why would a good 2a back automatically be at least a small college player?

You may be right about the act thing, but alot of that comes from the school and family environment, and there is nothing the UofA is going to do to change that.

Maybe if it wasn't the U of Dallas in SW Mizzouri the state would have better education

Maybe

IronHog

Here is an NFL RB playing 2A football in Arkansas.  He's good but having to churn out some tough yards

It isn't big Texas HS pat a cake football

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on December 29, 2017, 01:16:12 pm

Maybe if it wasn't the U of Dallas in SW Mizzouri the state would have better education

Maybe

No, no. It is the menality that " we uns dohnt needs no fancy edjewkations rounds here the souwf wills asure rise agin wuhthout that thar edjewkation stuff " that still persists in many parts of the state.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 01:23:54 pm
No, no. It is the menality that " we uns dohnt needs no fancy edjewkations rounds here the souwf wills asure rise agin wuhthout that thar edjewkation stuff " that still persists in many parts of the state.

Including Harrison. And other bumpkin towns around "NWA golden cities".

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 01:27:04 pm
Including Harrison. And other bumpkin towns around "NWA golden cities".

I said many parts of the state. Even golden cities have bad neighborhoods

snoblind

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:03:37 am
Segregation is not generally migration by moving hundred of miles away. It is local by moving across town or sending your kid to a different school, etc. Why do you think lot of people have moved out of Pulaski County to counties that surround it. You fail to realize that minorities have moved to NWA. And by the way guess where Nolan lives..................that's right NWA.

Kind of amusing when he gets on these rolls since he is part of the white flight group on southern Arkansas.  NWA is more integrated today than it has ever been, the days of sundowner signs are gone.  Folks are coming to NWA for jobs, not to escape people of color.

hogginbama

Quote from: rtr on December 27, 2017, 09:37:35 pm
Complete nonsense.

Not necessarily nonsense. Some of these kids probably read the childish name calling comments on here that many posters left and said to heck with it. They probably felt if fans could be that childish with someone who was loyal to the program and tried his hardest and it just didn't work out, how would those same fans treat them if they didn't become all world?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Granny fan on December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm
Why are so many in state kids flipping?  I'm old, but when I grew up instate kids never considered anyone but the Hogs!

Don't look at that way, consider the flip side. If every kid wanted to go in an state school, Arkansas would have lost out on a lot of great players over the years.

hogginbama

Quote from: buldozer on December 28, 2017, 08:48:10 am
We just got rid of a coach and AD that didn't value or recruit in-state recruits all that much. They thought getting rid of the LR games would be a major step forward because they thought the center of the state was the UA. We all know the UA is barely in AR and that LR is the center of our state. Central, South and East was an afterthought to these folks. I hope the house has been cleaned and now we can go forward with a coach that values in-state kids more than those outside AR and I hope he recruits all corners of the state. If he does this, then the in-state kids will come and they will have pride to be a razorback once again.

So the last staff has been chastised for not recruiting good enough players and now that he is gone he is being chastised for not recruiting 3-star players from Arkansas that may or may not have been qualifying risks. Can't have it both ways, either you want a coach who goes after higher ranked recruits or you want a coach who goes after 2-3 star players.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

AirWarren

Quote from: snoblind on December 29, 2017, 01:47:24 pm
Kind of amusing when he gets on these rolls since he is part of the white flight group on southern Arkansas.  NWA is more integrated today than it has ever been, the days of sundowner signs are gone.  Folks are coming to NWA for jobs, not to escape people of color.

LOL, not to escape color.

Quit telling yourself that.

Quote from: IronHog on December 29, 2017, 01:20:24 pm

Here is an NFL RB playing 2A football in Arkansas.  He's good but having to churn out some tough yards

It isn't big Texas HS pat a cake football
are you saying Arkansas 2A football is better than Texas high classification football?

IronHog

Quote from: Karma on December 29, 2017, 02:50:41 pm
are you saying Arkansas 2A football is better than Texas high classification football?

It's not near as bad as Hogsanity makes it out to be.  Lots of kids on that tape can play at any HS level

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 10:03:37 am
Segregation is not generally migration by moving hundred of miles away. It is local by moving across town or sending your kid to a different school, etc. Why do you think lot of people have moved out of Pulaski County to counties that surround it. You fail to realize that minorities have moved to NWA. And by the way guess where Nolan lives..................that's right NWA.

Maybe you are just that clueless

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 27, 2017, 09:36:06 pm
These kids saw how loyal your type of hog fans were to the coach they committed to. Don't think that didn't play a part.

And how loyal your type fan was to a coach that went 21-5 and by the way had just as many players committed to play for.  How about we just blame it on the dysfunctional administration we have had for 30 years and leave the fan out of it because in the end we are still here trying our best to support a winning program.  Blaming a fan for the shape of s program is really pretty stupid.

FANONTHEHILL

December 31, 2017, 06:40:08 am #170 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:51:16 am by FANONTHEHILL
Loyalty is a two way street.  This is what high school kids saw in week 11 and week 12 on their televisions or in person in 2017.  Here are your "loyal, best fans in the SEC".  Yet we wonder why players would choose to go somewhere else.  It's in tough times you find out who your friends (in this case fans) are.  All of the crap about "empty the stadium" to get Bielema fired.  That was going to happen regardless.  The tickets were sold.  All the end of the season crowds did was reinforce to current and possibly future players that the fans only give a damn when things are positive.  That's not loyalty and Arkansas kids see that.  That's another reason that they choose to go elsewhere.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

FANONTHEHILL

The culture on the team, in the fanbase, and across the state has to change or kids will continue to leave and go to other programs.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Inhogswetrust

December 31, 2017, 07:46:37 am #172 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:12:46 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 11:29:19 am
That is correct.

Southwest, Southeast, eastern, NEA, and areas of northwest Arkansas not named Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville all are very similar economically.

It's a proven fact that NWA and Central Arkansas carry this state. And there is nothing wrong with that. Every state has its poor and less fortunate areas.

I know a small town halfway between San Francisco and LA in California that looks like a bomb hit it. And it's real close to a well known wine growing region. There are others there as well. For a state that likes to brag about how progressive it is the poverty in some places is widespread just as much as other states.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Rzback

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on December 27, 2017, 05:58:01 pm
Ask Keith Jackson.
I grew up in the 60's and Keith Jackson was one of the first I remember that I could not believe left the state. Seems like there was another but can't remember name fight now (maybe Shabez). I would say not winning enough, not really being in the hunt since joining the SEC, ESPN, and social media have all played a factor for kids not being as loyal to the Razorbacks.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Inhogswetrust

December 31, 2017, 08:16:04 am #174 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:39:40 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 31, 2017, 06:40:08 am
Loyalty is a two way street.  This is what high school kids saw in week 11 and week 12 on their televisions or in person in 2017.  Here are your "loyal, best fans in the SEC".  Yet we wonder why players would choose to go somewhere else.  It's in tough times you find out who your friends (in this case fans) are.  All of the crap about "empty the stadium" to get Bielema fired.  That was going to happen regardless.  The tickets were sold.  All the end of the season crowds did was reinforce to current and possibly future players that the fans only give a damn when things are positive.  That's not loyalty and Arkansas kids see that.  That's another reason that they choose to go elsewhere.

I've seen almost every stadium like that at some point in my life including some of the traditional powers. Heck there were games with Mike DuBose or Mike Shula as coach at Bama that looked almost that bad. Funny no mention of who we were playing, what our record was at the time and for the whole tenure of the coach, the weather, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 31, 2017, 06:48:23 am
The culture on the team, in the fanbase, and across the state has to change or kids will continue to leave and go to other programs.

Sure to some degree in all of those. However the first step HAD to be change the coach. Nobody wants to go to party at a couples house when they know they are about to get a divorce except the really close and true friends of either the husband or wife. I know of some basketball recruits that Eddie signed and had eliminated some schools from their list or possibilities simply because they knew the head coach at that other place were going to get fired. Unfortunately the culture everywhere is that a large number of fans are loyal only when winning.

Inhogswetrust

December 31, 2017, 08:26:50 am #176 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:40:00 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: IronHog on December 29, 2017, 12:44:55 pm

You can also have those industries relatively with fewer employees. Mechanization and better technology caused people to leave farms and small towns in rural areas to seek employment elsewhere. That even started before good roads and such. Yet I bet you knew that. The thing you failed to mention though is a huge percentage of that is exported out of state. Not sure if true now but at one time Arkansas was a state that had more ability to be more self sufficient than other states. A good mix of all parts of the economy is what helps. 

Here's a  little tidbit I bet you wouldn't believe:

According to CNBC, Arkansas currently ranks as the 20th best state for business, with the 2nd-lowest cost of doing business, 5th-lowest cost of living, 11th best workforce, 20th-best economic climate, 28th-best educated workforce, 31st-best infrastructure and the 32nd-friendliest regulatory environment. Arkansas gained twelve spots in the best state for business rankings since 2011.

Cinco de Hogo

If you can't be loyal to your state how is your loyalty to your country, your family, anything but yourself.  Across the board this is a big problem and will get bigger as the globalist take over with your blessing.

I firmly believe you need to identify with something and for me it starts with God, Family and Country, my State is a subset of Country and just as strong.

Seebs

I take your point, however this is Miami most weeks.

The fans not sitting there got what they wanted and will begin to build again. The players with hurt feelings will move on one way or another.

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

harrisburghog

Remember Emanuel Tolbert? 1976, went to SMU.

bphi11ips

Listen to FOTH.  Loyalty is a two-way street.

As someone said above, fans do influence the way a team plays.  We all know this.  I was very proud of the way the team competed against Mississippi State and Missouri in spite of the clear message the fans sent the team that day.  Not the ones in seats.  They were great.  It's the ones who bought tickets and stayed home who might as well have been boobirds that day.  How will the seniors who devoted their lives to that point to be out on that field remember Razorbacks fans?  Were they loyal or were they fickle? 

Amy Adams Strunk, the Tennessee Titans owner, called my cell yesterday and reminded me that the game today against the Jaguars is for a playoff berth.  She said we need to all be in our seats and get loud.  The call was a recording sent to season ticket holders, but the message is loud and clear - fan support matters.  Players care.  They work off of adrenaline and emotion, even in the NFL.  Players have feelings, too.  They are motivated by a need to please others.  When the home crowd booed Vince Young one day when he twisted a knee on a sack, he limped to the tunnel, threw his shoulder pads into the crowd, and disappeared.  His career was over.  He was a highly emotional player.  I felt bad for him. 

Like someone above, I was at the USC win in 1974.  There was no way, on paper, that Arkansas should have won that game.  But if you were there you know why they did.  Same thing in 1975 against A&M.  If one of those crowds had been in Fayetteville for TCU to start this season, I believe the season itself would have been entirely different.  That's how precarious the schedule set up.  The team was flat against TCU, and this is not to excuse the staff, but the crowd could have changed that.  Late arrivals and student mass exodus at halftime made it worse.  There was a time when the stadium would have been full and rocking and the team could have heard it in the dressing room and felt the love on the walk to the stadium.  Where was that against TCU? 

I suppose it will take a highly successful year to get people back in the stadium acting like fans (short for fanatics).  Posters here like to blame television.  Nonsense.  Watch games where packed stadiums are a tradition.  They're still full.  Arkansas is developing a tradition to pack the stadium only for the biggest games in winning seasons. The best players want to play before packed houses every week.  When it comes down to competing with schools who offer that, all they have to do is show a player the photo FOTH posted.  Would you rather play in front of that crowd on Senior Day or in front of this [insert photo of packed house]?

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cinco de Hogo

It's a chicken and egg question but I do believe there is not a team ever born that you can find that developed a winning tradition BEFORE they packed 80,000 set stadiums.  The problem Arkansas has is the administration wants you to buy tickets and pack stadiums with no consistent effort to establish a winning tradition.

Let one of you prove where it has been done in the reverse.  And please don't point out that teams with winning tradition still sometimes pack the house for big game when they have bad seasons(7-5).

Yes while it's true that the fan voice is important and that players feed off the crowd it's also important that,  that same voice be heard by the administration.  It's a lie that BB was going to be fired anyway.  If the pressure hadn't been applied would the BOT have fired Long?  Without firing Long, BB would still be our coach.  It's interesting how some who so supported the previous situation want to spin it now.  This freaking stuff happens with every change and the same crowd keeps their Holy roles.  I call it what it is, duplicity.

AirWarren

Quote from: Seebs on December 31, 2017, 09:16:24 am
I take your point, however this is Miami most weeks.

The fans not sitting there got what they wanted and will begin to build again. The players with hurt feelings will move on one way or another.

Miami's issue is the stadium is Now around 25-35 minutes from coral gables. When they tore down the old orange bowl, attendance went crap.

Nebraska fans seem to show up. Even in mediocrity. Their stadium is always full and they have been in the dumps for years.

Chorizo Hogriguez

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 31, 2017, 11:20:38 am
It's a chicken and egg question but I do believe there is not a team ever born that you can find that developed a winning tradition BEFORE they packed 80,000 set stadiums.  The problem Arkansas has is the administration wants you to buy tickets and pack stadiums with no consistent effort to establish a winning tradition.

Let one of you prove where it has been done in the reverse.  And please don't point out that teams with winning tradition still sometimes pack the house for big game when they have bad seasons(7-5).

Yes while it's true that the fan voice is important and that players feed off the crowd it's also important that,  that same voice be heard by the administration.  It's a lie that BB was going to be fired anyway.  If the pressure hadn't been applied would the BOT have fired Long?  Without firing Long, BB would still be our coach.  It's interesting how some who so supported the previous situation want to spin it now.  This freaking stuff happens with every change and the same crowd keeps their Holy roles.  I call it what it is, duplicity.

It is a chicken and egg thing. It was with Broyles. Orville Henry was blunt about it many years ago - win and they will come. And the Razorbacks did and they did, for generations.

But my point about TCU is still valid. How much winning is winning?  We play in the SEC West. Only a couple of teams are going to win 10 in any given year. We showed the cracks the last half of last year in effort that continued into this year and led to wholesale changes. The administration has sent a loud and clear message that winning is important and that the entire fanbase is important. But how did our fans know at the beginning of the year we wouldn't go 8-4 or better?  There was reason to believe we could. And there was reason to believe we would have the season we did if it got out of hand early.

The fans missed an opportunity to be the chicken early against TCU and failed. Was that a protest against the regime or just a sign of a generally listless fan base?  I'd say the latter. It is now up to Chad Morris and his team to be the chicken just as it was up to Broyles and his team in the late 1950's.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 31, 2017, 11:47:10 am
It is a chicken and egg thing. It was with Broyles. Orville Henry was blunt about it many years ago - win and they will come. And the Razorbacks did and they did, for generations.

But my point about TCU is still valid. How much winning is winning?  We play in the SEC West. Only a couple of teams are going to win 10 in any given year. We showed the cracks the last half of last year in effort that continued into this year and led to wholesale changes. The administration has sent a loud and clear message that winning is important and that the entire fanbase is important. But how did our fans know at the beginning of the year we wouldn't go 8-4 or better?  There was reason to believe we could. And there was reason to believe we would have the season we did if it got out of hand early.

The fans missed an opportunity to be the chicken early against TCU and failed. Was that a protest against the regime or just a sign of a generally listless fan base?  I'd say the latter. It is now up to Chad Morris and his team to be the chicken just as it was up to Broyles and his team in the late 1950's.

I remember the crowd for the LSU game when Arkansas was having the worst SEC losing streak we've ever had. There was no reason to expect a sold out crowd based on W-L record. Arkansas fans are loyal when we believe we're playing to win. At that point people still believed that Bielema had a plan that would build into a success. When it became clear that things were unraveling for Bielema and that Long had no intention of making a change people stayed at home. I believe Arkansas fans will show up win or lose if they believe we're committed to winning and are building toward something. They will not go through the trouble if they believe the Administration is just phoning it in.

Rzback

South Carolina fills their stadium even when they are down
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 31, 2017, 12:26:19 pm
I remember the crowd for the LSU game when Arkansas was having the worst SEC losing streak we've ever had. There was no reason to expect a sold out crowd based on W-L record. Arkansas fans are loyal when we believe we're playing to win. At that point people still believed that Bielema had a plan that would build into a success. When it became clear that things were unraveling for Bielema and that Long had no intention of making a change people stayed at home. I believe Arkansas fans will show up win or lose if they believe we're committed to winning and are building toward something. They will not go through the trouble if they believe the Administration is just phoning it in.

How could anyone have thought there was no commitment before TCU? 

Announced attendance for LSU was 70,165, so it wasn't a sellout, but the crowd was good and into the game.  Arkansas also outplayed Alabama a few weeks before in Fayetteville.

Still doesn't excuse TCU.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 31, 2017, 12:40:41 pm
How could anyone have thought there was no commitment before TCU? 

Announced attendance for LSU was 70,165, so it wasn't a sellout, but the crowd was good and into the game.  Arkansas also outplayed Alabama a few weeks before in Fayetteville.

Still doesn't excuse TCU.

Honestly, I think Bielema lost the fans with the Mizzou and VaTech losses at the end of 2016. There was almost no enthusiasm built up coming into 2017.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rzback on December 31, 2017, 12:34:49 pm
South Carolina fills their stadium even when they are down

No they do not. I've seen games there where there were plenty of empty seats. It's just like everyone else. It depends on how good they are at the time and who they are playing. That being said they generally are one of the top 20 in average attendance. That doesn't mean they are full all the time.

Seebs

Quote from: AP85 on December 31, 2017, 11:38:30 am
Miami's issue is the stadium is Now around 25-35 minutes from coral gables. When they tore down the old orange bowl, attendance went crap.

Nebraska fans seem to show up. Even in mediocrity. Their stadium is always full and they have been in the dumps for years.

Yep. Not sure what argument you are making but if the Hogs had a Top 10 program we could play in a sold out venue in Possum Grape.  The product was unwatchable at times last season. If that paints me as disloyal, so be it, Life is too short to watch crap.

Looks like Basketball, Baseball and now football are all on track and I will be most pleased throughout the year - regardless of what anybody considers loyal.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 31, 2017, 12:48:50 pm
Honestly, I think Bielema lost the fans with the Mizzou and VaTech losses at the end of 2016. There was almost no enthusiasm built up coming into 2017.

I agree. Just saying the fans could have made a difference against TCU, and that could have flipped the season in a different way.

I'm not saying things didn't work out in the end as they should have. I think Long and Bielema started losing fans and influential booster support long before the end of last season. I'm only saying that this season is a prime example of the difference a fanbase can make when you have so many games that can go either way.

ArkansasI

I can't believe anyone seriously believes Razorback fans are the reason the Hogs managed only 4 wins in 2017. If Nebraska fans are so great and great fans turn out great teams, then why do the Huskers remain an also ran - changing coaches this year just like us?  Razorback fans are among the best in the nation. Our facilities and commitment to all things athletics is proof. As soon as the team begins to match our commitment, we'll see attendance and enthusiasm return.

Seebs

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2017, 01:16:20 pm
That might be possible anytime in Possum Grape.  Traffic in and out of there would be a nightmare though..... ;D
MIzzouesque

SwineGrind

JOKERHOG

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 27, 2017, 07:45:14 pm
Seems like I remember Keith didn't want to play TE in Ken Hatfield's type offense or something like that.

OU ran the same offense but definitely better...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 31, 2017, 09:15:34 am
If you can't be loyal to your state how is your loyalty to your country, your family, anything but yourself.  Across the board this is a big problem and will get bigger as the globalist take over with your blessing.

I firmly believe you need to identify with something and for me it starts with God, Family and Country, my State is a subset of Country and just as strong.

Ok, then again I ask, how will the Hogs do if all the kids in other states start to ascribe to your thinking on being loyal to your state?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: JOKERHOG on December 31, 2017, 01:56:57 pm
OU ran the same offense but definitely better...

It's a common misconception that Jackson chose one option offense (OU) over another (Arkansas).  That's no the case.  Here's my post from earlier in this thread.

Keith Jackson began his career at OU in 1984.  OU was ready to abandon the wishbone and throw the ball because a QB named Troy Aikman was in the same class.  Aikman started as a freshman and they ran a pro style offense.  In October of 1985, OU was playing Miami and a defensive lineman sacked Aikman, breaking his ankle. (I think it was Jerome Brown) OU switched back to the wishbone without Aikman.  Freshman Jamelle Holieway led them to a national title and he wishbone stayed in place and Aikman transferred to UCLA.  The wishbone was effective with Holieway because of the receiving threat Jackson provided.  All this to say that Jackson didn't pick one option program over another.  It just worked out that way due to Aikman's injury.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 31, 2017, 02:18:32 pm
It's a common misconception that Jackson chose one option offense (OU) over another (Arkansas).  That's no the case.  Here's my post from earlier in this thread.

Keith Jackson began his career at OU in 1984.  OU was ready to abandon the wishbone and throw the ball because a QB named Troy Aikman was in the same class.  Aikman started as a freshman and they ran a pro style offense.  In October of 1985, OU was playing Miami and a defensive lineman sacked Aikman, breaking his ankle. (I think it was Jerome Brown) OU switched back to the wishbone without Aikman.  Freshman Jamelle Holieway led them to a national title and he wishbone stayed in place and Aikman transferred to UCLA.  The wishbone was effective with Holieway because of the receiving threat Jackson provided.  All this to say that Jackson didn't pick one option program over another.  It just worked out that way due to Aikman's injury.

Thanks for this bit of truth about the Keith Jackson signing.

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 31, 2017, 02:18:32 pm

I posted a link to that 1985 OU-Miami game a few days ago and watched the whole game. Fascinating for all kinds of reasons. I don't know what OU was running before that game with Aikman, but that day they were running the wishbone.  Keith Jackson (play-by-play not the player) and Frank Broyles mentioned that Switzer wanted to throw the ball more with Aikman.  He threw effectively to Jackson before he was injured and made a great keeper on the option for a gain of 20. But it was definitely the wishbone.