Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another year, Another check ride complete

Started by Flying Razorback, January 25, 2014, 11:22:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

Man I hate check rides.  I finished mine this week.  It was a 12 hour day and the flight was a 5.1.  After the debrief I still had to come in the next day to a multi-hour ground eval. 

I consider myself a fairly competent and experienced guy, but still, I hate check rides.  Little things that you miss on a normal ride accidentally or are late on can normally just be debriefed and used as a "lesson learned".  But on check ride day you're pinging about every single decision and input you make.

It's over, I'm going to relax this weekend and read what I want/watch what I want!
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

bvillepig

Flying Razorback

It wasn't easy but I did well and didn't have any discrepancies or anything in the end.  It was tough though with a few things to debrief.  Luckily I had a good evaluator that understands that under the stress of a 5+ hour sortie you're going to get worn out.  I'm always much more exhausted mentally and physically after a check ride.

Old Tusk

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Old Tusk on January 26, 2014, 10:06:24 am
I feel your pain. 33yrs of them.

That's tough.  I feel like the month I spend preparing always burns me up a little more.  I fear them less as I get older and have more experience, but at the same time I always still stress about them.  Same with my yearly physical fitness test and flight physical.

I've only been doing this 8 years, 33 is a long time!

Old Tusk

At first, I believed I needed to know every valve , solenoid, and power source in the airplane. Over time I realized that this was a meaningless trivia game. When I got into the C-130 world, they kept asking when the prop low oil light comes on?. I always answered when the oil is low. The point of the answer is it doesn't matter which reservoir is low. The light comes on, monkey got something to do. I have always been amazed at the lengths they go to make something so simple complicated.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

gotyacovered

You are what you tolerate.