Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad Day At the Cockpit Office

Started by john c, January 13, 2014, 02:37:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

That same thing happened not that long ago at Wichita, Kansas.  Big cargo plane landed at Jabara (AAO) and was supposed to have landed at McConnel AFB (IAB).

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on January 13, 2014, 03:30:44 pm
That same thing happened not that long ago at Wichita, Kansas.  Big cargo plane landed at Jabara (AAO) and was supposed to have landed at McConnel AFB (IAB).

What's funny is I think in my "Flying in to Wichita" advice I said to be aware of the three airports on final to McConnell if going in to Jabara.  And then that happened a few months later!  I'll never understand how it happens.  And to people with many more thousands of hours than I have.  I just don't see it happening to myself.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

john c

Didn't that also happen at Springdale some years back?

KCRazorbackfan

I've flown into Graham Clark airport numerous times and that is a SHORT runway for a 737.  I cannot begin to even fathom how with the flight management systems there are in planes today, how that could happen?  I've got a little over 3k hours and I've never landed at the wrong airport.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on January 15, 2014, 08:21:23 am
I've flown into Graham Clark airport numerous times and that is a SHORT runway for a 737.  I cannot begin to even fathom how with the flight management systems there are in planes today, how that could happen?  I've got a little over 3k hours and I've never landed at the wrong airport.

This is what I don't get.  I've talked about this at work many times since this has happened in high profile ways at least 3 times in the past year and a half.  I had a guy warn me, "Careful talking bad about it, it could happen to you one day."  Generally I'd accept that warning in aviation.  However, I replied "No.  No, it really couldn't happen to me...  How could it happen if I have the NAVAIDs tuned in, the FMS up with a white line to the airport, the RADAR up, and know what I'm looking for???"  I said that even if all that failed and I'm at 50' reducing power and I look out and think "Man, that's a lot shorter than 12,000' with parallel runways with some of the largest ramp space known to man..." or whatever else, I could still throw in power and go around.

I'll caveat by saying I have just over 1800 hours to my name and it hasn't happened to me.  The only way it could is if I land at the wrong dirt air strip at some of the places that we go that are just a row of dirt strips.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

i have flown into ORK twice and both times...i called the feild with approach and it was RBM both times. my mind thought it was ORK... but between my common sense and my 696 got straight before i made any calls on CTAF. just dont understand how it happens with a crew. especially when the dispatcher was with them BECAUSE it was the first time there.
You are what you tolerate.

gotyacovered

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on January 15, 2014, 08:21:23 am

i can hear it now... Pilot: man that runway sure does look short. Co-pilot: nah... we are just a little high. ;D
You are what you tolerate.