Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Lutz has been kicking butt at Charlotte

Started by HogInMemphis, March 09, 2005, 09:03:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogInMemphis

No real sense of basketball tradition at that school, yet Lutz has done well there. 135-81 in 7 seasons. 2nd best team in Conf. USA behind Louisville and ahead of Cinn. this year. He'd be a good candidate to consider to replace Heath. It's obvious he can recruit and hold a team together.

Razorod

Here are my twelve coaches I'd like to see on our list if and when Heath goes:

1. Billy Gillespie
2. Kelvin Sampson
3. Rick Barnes
4. Bill Self
5. Bobby Lutz
6. Jeff Lebo
7. Dennis Felton
8. Rick Majerus
9. Mike Anderson
10. Rick Pitino
11. Seth Greenburg--VaTech
12. Paul Hewitt--GaTech

I know Self and Pitino are longshots due to the status of the programs where they are coaching (that's why I didn't include Tubby, Coach K. or Roy Williams, even though some have mentioned them).

Rick Barnes would be difficult because he has it going at UT and UT has very deep pockets. It'd turn into a bidding war and they could match or up anything we offered. I don't think UT is going to let Barnes go anywhere unless he really wants to.

Majerus does have the health issues, but he is a good coach and we could explore the possibility.

To me, the rest should be very legitimate candidates and we should be able to get them if we really want them.

However. all this talk is probably moot for at least one more season.

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Bionic_Pig

March 09, 2005, 09:37:02 pm #3 Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 09:43:25 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 09, 2005, 09:03:49 am
No real sense of basketball tradition at that school, yet Lutz has done well there. 135-81 in 7 seasons. 2nd best team in Conf. USA behind Louisville and ahead of Cinn. this year. He'd be a good candidate to consider to replace Heath. It's obvious he can recruit and hold a team together.

OK think about what you just posted Lutz does indeed have a 24 - 6 record in CONFERENCE USA but what you failed to mention is Their SOS is #114th in the Nation Hog In Memphis. So while they were beating up on teams like Tulane, Southern Miss, St. Louis in conference Arkansas weakest opponent in conference was Ole Miss which BEAT MEMPHIS.   Memphis is one of the better teams with a 9-7 record in conference but outside of the realms of conference play they have a 17 - 14 record. 

Arkansas amassed its 18 Win season primarily playing cupcakes in the beginning of the season while Charlotte did the same while continue-ing to play cupcakes in conference play.  People were upset ...me included with the season ending loss to Auburn well my friend your beloved coach Lutz lost to South Florida Bulls Friday.  Now to address your statement of his recruiting abilities...

Coach Lutz highest profile signee this past signing day was "Zaronn Cann"  ??? (In a heated battle with Virginia Tech & West Virgina) & Chris Howard whom USF was his only offer.   Before that he signed a class of 5 which ranked 94th behind even Arkansas ST. in recruiting.  Where is this "It's obvious he can recruit and hold a team together" statement coming from ???

I am not hear to tear down Lutz as a coach because you have to be a hell of a X's & O's guy to be 2nd in Conference in winning percentage with average talent.  But to equate this as a guy who recruits well is ludicrous.  Sometimes I wish Heath were to get fired just to see Frank bring in the next hot product from the MAC or Big Sky Conference because if you go by their preference - Nolan came from Tulsa University,  Stan came from Kent St  & HDN from Boise St....what makes some of you think that will change after showing this approach when selecting coaches the last 17yrs. ex specially after winning a Championship in Basketball and have a couple of 9 Win season's in the SEC in football with unknown coaching talent. 

Dave Van Horn - Arkansas Alum
Butch Davis - resides in Arkansas

now granted North Carolina brought in Roy Williams from Kansas but what people seem to be forgetting he is a ALUM of that University.  What basketball Alum of Arkansas is a current Head Coach ANYWHERE that is Nationally respected.   People you fire 2 Basketball coaches in 3yrs what proven coach would be foolish enough to leave a established program and want to come here knowing job security is slim to none.  Rick Patino,  Kelvin Sampson, Rick Barnes etc... are not that stupid.  The only way that would happen is the University would have to shell out Millions (and I'm not talking 1 or 2) to make the $$$$ so overpowering a temptation that to turn it down would be asinine.   Oh and by the way the New coach can look forward to several vital players on the current roster transferring (Ala Andre Igudolla/JJ Sullinger)

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Cornhogio

Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

Biggus Piggus

Here's hoping we do not need to change coaches in the next few years, but I want to comment on these guys.

1. Billy Gillespie:  He has been a really good recruiter of juco players.  Obviously he can coach good talent, but it is hard to argue with going from 0-16 to .500 in the conference at A&M.  He still has not proven that he can recruit top freshmen.

2. Kelvin Sampson:  Very solid coach, but his players' academics have been miserable.  He has employed lots of juco players.  I doubt he could live without them.

3. Rick Barnes:  Don't know why he would ever leave.

4. Bill Self:  Same.

5. Bobby Lutz:  His Charlotte teams have played different styles, according to their available talent, but still won.  His example is the most galling to me, that Charlotte would be a more consistent winner than Arkansas has been for many years dating back to Nolan's last teams.  He has relied a lot on transfers and jucos too.  Again not a guy who would for sure be able to get the necessary talent, but he can coach.

6. Jeff Lebo:  Solid coach.  I have no doubt he is going to win.  How we'd pry him from Auburn would be an issue.  Not sure you want to create that situation with a rival.

7. Dennis Felton:  We had our chance.  He will be very successful in a few years.

8. Rick Majerus:  I like him.  Could he recruit at Arkansas?  Depends on his staff.

9. Mike Anderson:  I'd rather not.

10. Rick Pitino:  Novel idea.  He would hate Fayetteville.

11. Seth Greenberg:  He's a plugger.

12. Paul Hewitt:  Very fine coach.  Broyles would have loved to have gotten him in 2000.  Now I don't know why he would leave this job.
[CENSORED]!

Genuswine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 10, 2005, 09:32:56 am
Here's hoping we do not need to change coaches in the next few years, but I want to comment on these guys.

1. Billy Gillespie: He has been a really good recruiter of juco players. Obviously he can coach good talent, but it is hard to argue with going from 0-16 to .500 in the conference at A&M. He still has not proven that he can recruit top freshmen.

2. Kelvin Sampson: Very solid coach, but his players' academics have been miserable. He has employed lots of juco players. I doubt he could live without them.

3. Rick Barnes: Don't know why he would ever leave.

4. Bill Self: Same.

5. Bobby Lutz: His Charlotte teams have played different styles, according to their available talent, but still won. His example is the most galling to me, that Charlotte would be a more consistent winner than Arkansas has been for many years dating back to Nolan's last teams. He has relied a lot on transfers and jucos too. Again not a guy who would for sure be able to get the necessary talent, but he can coach.

6. Jeff Lebo: Solid coach. I have no doubt he is going to win. How we'd pry him from Auburn would be an issue. Not sure you want to create that situation with a rival.

7. Dennis Felton: We had our chance. He will be very successful in a few years.

8. Rick Majerus: I like him. Could he recruit at Arkansas? Depends on his staff.

9. Mike Anderson: I'd rather not.

10. Rick Pitino: Novel idea. He would hate Fayetteville.

11. Seth Greenberg: He's a plugger.

12. Paul Hewitt: Very fine coach. Broyles would have loved to have gotten him in 2000. Now I don't know why he would leave this job.

Why is Bo Ryan not on this list?  Age?
Look at his resume and what he's done at the places he's coached.  He's been beating up the Big 10 since he arrived in Wisconsin with far less talent than the teams he's playing.

Brett Hitman Hog

I'm just going to address one coach on that list for the last and final time. 

Mike Anderson:  At the time I wanted Anderson to be the HC as well and now many are calling his name like the second coming.  Here's the deal we wouldn't have been in any better shape with Mike than we are now.  People say he could win with this team.  Moot point, we wouldn't have had this team and we don't know what kind of team we would have.  All of the players Heath had when he came here Anderson pretty much recruited.  That's pretty poor recruiting in the SEC and that could have been the quality of players continued with Anderson. 

Razorod

I'd gather that we'd be better off giving Heath another year, regardless of the outcome tonight and possible NIT game(s).

One comment on Lebo, KY pried Tubby away from GA and haven't really suffered from it. But with Lebo, I'd rather see us go one more year with Heath and see what happens recruiting and record wise for one more year.

Majerus might be the only coach to go after if Heath leaves after this year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Jim Harris

March 10, 2005, 10:48:37 am #9 Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 10:51:48 am by drakehog
Quote from: Razorod on March 10, 2005, 10:45:23 am
I'd gather that we'd be better off giving Heath another year, regardless of the outcome tonight and possible NIT game(s).

One comment on Lebo, KY pried Tubby away from GA and haven't really suffered from it. But with Lebo, I'd rather see us go one more year with Heath and see what happens recruiting and record wise for one more year.

unless somebody's going to pay for a new coach completely out of their own pocket, and despite the occasional boasts from some certain heavy hitters, that never happens, Heath may be here two years no matter what happens.
I'm certainly an advocate of letting him continue to recruit hard and build. This is not the 1970s and 1980s rebuilding in the SWC.
What's funny about Lebo, everybody thought East Tennessee had tired of him, and their best player had transferred the year before to Louisiana-Lafayette, and there was definitely some head-scratching over Auburn replacing Cliff with Lebo. I find it interesting that he has his dad on the bench with him. I got to meet the Lebos many years back when Carlisle, Pa., came to the King Cotton Classic in Pine Bluff. They seemed like class.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Razorod on March 10, 2005, 10:45:23 am

Who is going to be the coach in February '06 after we hire Majerus and he keels over while stalking up and down the court?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Biggus Piggus

LOL, Fatty.  You'd have to change your name to Fatty Majerus.
[CENSORED]!