Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson: Is this the standard for our program?

Started by Porked Tongue, March 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBreath

Quote from: daprospecta on March 21, 2018, 04:55:25 pm
So if Mike was hired instead of Stan Health and went to the elite 8 in 2006, the sweet 16 in 2008 and didn't make it out of the first weekend for six straight years, do you think he would still be coaching here in 2015?
Lol..is this a for real question? 

Mike's been here seven years and hasn't made it out of the first weekend and still has his loyal MOP army dug in like a tick.

I kinda doubt they'd want him gone for making the elite eight and sweet sixteen.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

latrops

Quote from: daprospecta on March 21, 2018, 04:43:38 pm
No pressure? I'm pretty sure heads were rolling last year when we had that bad streak before we turned it on and went on a winning streak.  Even former players were calling him out. You guys think the sweet 16 is promised to us consistently? Jay Wright went from 2008-2014 never making it out of the first weekend and didn't even make the tourney one of those years before winning the title in 2015.  You can say "Jay Wright, had an elite 8, final four, and sweet 16 appearance before that", well CMA has an elite 8 and sweet 16 appearance before but no one seems to care about that when it comes to Mike. Here is the truth, accept it if you'd like but you are not going to get much better than CMA unless you are taking a big gamble.  After only going to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 13 years we are finally stabilizing and looking like a solid program.  You don't uproot that just because you THINK an up-and-comer MIGHT(THIS IS A HUGE MIGHT) get us to the sweet 16 or higher.

Jay Wright?  That is an awful comparison.  In his first 8 years at Villanova he had two Sweet 16s, an Elite 8, and a Final Four.  That earned him the benefit of the doubt during the next 6 years, when his five NCAAT teams didn't advance out of the first weekend.  Still, he had a run of 10 NCAAT teams in 11 years, including four trips to the Sweet 16 or better.

CMA has neither achieved as high a level of success, nor the consistency that Wright had BEFORE winning a national championship.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 19, 2018, 04:44:58 pm
I find the term street ball derogatory.
Yes, the preferred term is Fastest 40.

jvanhorn

Is this the standard for the program?  Yes.   It was also the standard for the program when he was at Missouri.  One very good year every 7 years or so.  But that was his track record before we hired  him. He has actually performed as advertised.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 01:12:15 pm
I just think Coach A gets too much blame when things go wrong and not enough credit for all the good things he's done and accomplished.

What has he done or accomplished? He hasn't even managed a conference championship, let alone anything else.  He took a program that was a dumpster fire and has made it a non cheating somewhat competitive program.  So, basically, he has come in here and cleaned up a mess and--well that's about it.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 21, 2018, 03:50:06 pm
If it was ANYONE besides Coach Anderson, that head would have rolled already.  Mike's got 9 lives worth of patience from so many people it truly eliminates any pressure to win.

If a coach isn't getting pressure to win(more than he has), then it might as be rec ball.

No sense of urgency except when it comes to selling tickets and gathering up donations.  Heck, I'd argue Heath had a tougher road(following NR) and had essentially the same amount of success in a shorter time frame.

BS. And I am not really trying to flame your little thread here but BS.

Mike has improved over the past 4 years. You can say what you want, lost in the postseason, first round exits, on and on but a guy who won 23 games isn't getting fired. Not this year, not next year.

Virginia got rolled, North Carolina got rolled, Cincinnati got rolled. 6 out of 8 SEC teams got rolled...all in the first weekend. It's a tournament, crazy things happen.

I am not saying there isn't a need for some changes, I agree that we have to develop a more half court game, and I believe that Cleveland and Watkins need to go and if something gets Mike, it will be his refusal to let Assistants go...

But let's not pretend that 23 wins and a first round exits in the tourney would have gotten anybody other than Mike Anderson fired. There isn't an AD in the country that is going to fire a guy who has been to the tourney 3 out of 4 years, and the NIT the other, barring a major scandal. He just won 23 games and you people are calling for his head.

Which is rich coming from some of you. You know the ones who defended Bielema at all costs. The ones who said but, but, but he is doing it the right way, bringing in and raising up good boys. Runs a clean program. As a matter of fact, some of you raved on a nice, fall afternoon,
spending it with family, watching good boys and a good coach run a clean program, win or lose.

You people had to be drug, screaming and wailing to fire him. You can't have it both ways.

23 wins. He isn't going anywhere.

PRJ

Kevin

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 22, 2018, 07:35:23 am

Mike has improved over the past 4 years. You can say what you want, lost in the postseason, first round exits, on and on but a guy who won 23 games isn't getting fired. Not this year, not next year.

Virginia got rolled, North Carolina got rolled, Cincinnati got rolled. 6 out of 8 SEC teams got rolled...all in the first weekend. It's a tournament, crazy things happen.

I am not saying there isn't a need for some changes, I agree that we have to develop a more half court game, and I believe that Cleveland and Watkins need to go and if something gets Mike, it will be his refusal to let Assistants go...

But let's not pretend that 23 wins and a first round exits in the tourney would have gotten anybody other than Mike Anderson fired. There isn't an AD in the country that is going to fire a guy who has been to the tourney 3 out of 4 years, and the NIT the other, barring a major scandal. He just won 23 games and you people are calling for his head.

Which is rich coming from some of you. You know the ones who defended Bielema at all costs. The ones who said but, but, but he is doing it the right way, bringing in and raising up good boys. Runs a clean program. As a matter of fact, some of you raved on a nice, fall afternoon,
spending it with family, watching good boys and a good coach run a clean program, win or lose.

You people had to be drug, screaming and wailing to fire him. You can't have it both ways.

PRJ

but 22-10 first round loss
21-14 first round loss
will get you fired
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

steveaustin69

PRJ

Could you paint with a broader stroke? Ever Mike hater was also a Bret apologist?

We haven't gone to the NIT in five years, Mitch. The 16-16 team did not have a post season. We haven't improved. We're about where we'll ever be under Mike. If that is ok with you great. It's not ok with many.

Atlhogfan1

PRJ

23 wins this season gets him a pass for next season?

Those programs losing in the first round are irrelevant to us.  Plus you have programs who actually accomplishes things.  They were upset.  It happens.  We weren't.  We fell flat on our face just like every time an Anderson team is on the big stage.

Now PRJ, this changing asst's thing you know is a desperate act to mask the problem.  Scapegoats.  Like Nutt and his OC's.  And shouldn't a head coach develop asst's to become head coaches.  How pitiful has this been?

May not have gotten them fired.  But they would be catching absolute hell if not.  We've had off the court problems, thousands of empty seats even for SEC home games, embarrassed in nearly every high profile game we play and no real accomplishments but two close NCAAT wins over SH and Winthrop.  You can't say this era hasn't been a disappointment and not close to what the campaigners said would happen.  But the campaign is still going.  No other coach would enjoy this level of blind support.

Bielema was a coach hired to do a job.  Nothing more.  No personal ties.  I and some others defended giving him his opportunity.  The blowout loss to AU in season 4 and the Mizzou and VT losses were pretty much the end.  We got something definitive.  It was time to move on.  With Anderson, we didn't just hire a coach to do a job.  As someone who disliked the Nutt situation as much as you, hard to believe you would support this crappy situation. 

23 wins not a huge accomplishment.  Just good enough.  Always just good enough. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GuvHog

PRJ

I wasn't a Bret defender. I wanted him gone after the 2015 season but I knew Jeff Long would keep that from happening and he did. Mike has had 7 years at Arkansas and it isn't working. He'll likely be here for the 2018-2019 season but his seat has to be very warm.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 22, 2018, 08:29:04 am
23 wins this season gets him a pass for next season?

Those programs losing in the first round are irrelevant to us.  Plus you have programs who actually accomplishes things.  They were upset.  It happens.  We weren't.  We fell flat on our face just like every time an Anderson team is on the big stage.

Now PRJ, this changing asst's thing you know is a desperate act to mask the problem.  Scapegoats.  Like Nutt and his OC's.  And shouldn't a head coach develop asst's to become head coaches.  How pitiful has this been?

May not have gotten them fired.  But they would be catching absolute hell if not.  We've had off the court problems, thousands of empty seats even for SEC home games, embarrassed in nearly every high profile game we play and no real accomplishments but two close NCAAT wins over SH and Winthrop.  You can't say this era hasn't been a disappointment and not close to what the campaigners said would happen.  But the campaign is still going.  No other coach would enjoy this level of blind support.

Bielema was a coach hired to do a job.  Nothing more.  No personal ties.  I and some others defended giving him his opportunity.  The blowout loss to AU in season 4 and the Mizzou and VT losses were pretty much the end.  We got something definitive.  It was time to move on.  With Anderson, we didn't just hire a coach to do a job.  As someone who disliked the Nutt situation as much as you, hard to believe you would support this crappy situation. 

23 wins not a huge accomplishment.  Just good enough.  Always just good enough.

There were a bunch of fools on here that thought we should keep Pelphrey one more year because of his incoming class. I've seen more support for worse coaches at the UA.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 22, 2018, 09:13:32 am
There were a bunch of fools on here that thought we should keep Pelphrey one more year because of his incoming class. I've seen more support for worse coaches at the UA.

Those were fools.  Pel was done after Mizzou's E8 run in 09.  No way Pel had close to the support Mike does now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 22, 2018, 09:16:41 am
Those were fools.  Pel was done after Mizzou's E8 run in 09.  No way Pel had close to the support Mike does now.

Point is your over here acting like no one should be supporting MA despite the fact that 3 out of the last 4 seasons have been good. Yeah, not great but even with those  first 3 years we show a positive trend upward over 7 years not a decline. It took Bruce Pearl 4 years to get Auburn anywhere and he got blitzed in the 1st weekend of the tourney. On this message board there were already people complaining about MA at the same point in his tenure. People were still on here supporting Pelphrey despite a 3-year decline after his first season because he had a good recruiting class coming in.

The part that is really stupid though, is alot of the guys complaining are the same people who said we wouldn't sniff the tourney after a bad start in conference. Posting that they saw maybe 2 or 3 more wins max left on the schedule. MA completely outperformed those expectations posters were making but because he didn't beat Butler in the NCAA tourney he underachieved. I'm not going back through your post history, but I don't doubt early in conference you were predicting Arkansas to miss the tourney.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 08:04:57 am
Could you paint with a broader stroke? Ever Mike hater was also a Bret apologist?

We haven't gone to the NIT in five years, Mitch. The 16-16 team did not have a post season. We haven't improved. We're about where we'll ever be under Mike. If that is ok with you great. It's not ok with many.

We went to the NIT in 2014. I know I am not a trigonometry major like yourself but 2018 minus 2014 is 4 years Ace. 4 years.

You are by far the most misreable poster on this forum. But I have news for you. Mike ain't getting fired. Not next year, not the year after.

Not happening so keep running around with you hair on fire Cletus....

PRJ

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 22, 2018, 09:37:42 am
Point is your over here acting like no one should be supporting MA despite the fact that 3 out of the last 4 seasons have been good. Yeah, not great but even with those  first 3 years we show a positive trend upward over 7 years not a decline. It took Bruce Pearl 4 years to get Auburn anywhere and he got blitzed in the 1st weekend of the tourney. On this message board there were already people complaining about MA at the same point in his tenure. People were still on here supporting Pelphrey despite a 3-year decline after his first season because he had a good recruiting class coming in.

The part that is really stupid though, is alot of the guys complaining are the same people who said we wouldn't sniff the tourney after a bad start in conference. Posting that they saw maybe 2 or 3 more wins max left on the schedule. MA completely outperformed those expectations posters were making but because he didn't beat Butler in the NCAA tourney he underachieved. I'm not going back through your post history, but I don't doubt early in conference you were predicting Arkansas to miss the tourney.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 19, 2018, 08:30:28 am

Thought the first 5 of the SEC schedule was the lighter part except for the SC, Vandy and @ OM stretch.  Still believe we'll at least get to 9-9.  The SEC is deeper with better teams this season but it isn't the ACC.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2018, 09:37:26 pm
9-9 SEC gets the Hogs in.  Had dinner plans so didn't watch tonight.  Good to see we got a win although only by 2 scoring 65pts at home not exactly inspiring.  Win 2 of next 3 and get back to .500 before Ok St.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2018, 02:22:47 pm
Long way to go.  14 SEC games and Ok State.  Need 8 more SEC wins.  If at some point, we won't be able to get to 9-9 or 8-10 in the SEC, then the season is over. 

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 09:00:06 am
5 wins - it would depend some on who we are competing against on the bubble but I think 5 could do it.  And this isn't taking into account the SECT although doesn't look like we are heading to the double bye top 4 seed this season.  May get another game against a bubble team in the SECT.

SC, A&M, Mizzou and Bama will all be trying to play their way into the NCAAT.  Currently all are on the good or bad side of the bracketology bubbles.  Two home and two road out of that group.

Must wins it looks like now is getting one out of @LSU or @Ole Miss. 

Going to need at least 3 out of SC, Vandy, A&M, UK and AU. 

5 more wins would include at least a good win or two.  No bad losses left thanks the SEC's RPI's. 

This to reach the minimal goal for the season.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 10:31:36 pm
Yep. Minimal goal still very attainable.  5 more SEC wins needed. Don't ask me to predict which 5.

You can go back to any of these conversations or others and you will not find where I said the Hogs would miss the tourney. Before making yourself look ignorant again perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the forum since apparently you didn't spend much time here during the season. 

MaconBacon

Do any of you realize that Nolan may have been a bit unique?   He was almost a tyrant at times with the coaching and training while he was here and brutally demanded the best out of each player.  We had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.  Think if we'd had  Auburn's win numbers going in to the tourney and then get bounced the first round...

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 am
Do any of you realize that Nolan may have been a bit unique?   He was almost a tyrant at times with the coaching and training while he was here and brutally demanded the best out of each player.  We had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.  Think if we'd had  Auburn's win numbers going in to the tourney and then get bounced the first round...

Most still would be calling for his head. And most didn't like Nolan either.

For what reason I don't know....or maybe I do.

PRJ

HoopS

The assertion that any other coach would have been fired is horse crap.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 22, 2018, 10:21:45 am

You can go back to any of these conversations or others and you will not find where I said the Hogs would miss the tourney. Before making yourself look ignorant again perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the forum since apparently you didn't spend much time here during the season.

I like how you attack a stated supposition rather than any points I actually made. Like I said, I'm not wasting my time going through your post history. So you never claimed Arkansas would miss the tourney, good for you.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 22, 2018, 10:41:08 am
I like how you attack a stated supposition rather than any points I actually made. Like I said, I'm not wasting my time going through your post history. So you never claimed Arkansas would miss the tourney, good for you.

But he has bitched and moaned about Anderson for years...

PRJ

Deep Shoat

prj is right about one thing.  CMA ain't getting fired.  Ever.  He was hired to retire here.  It's a make-up call for Nolan, who SHOULD have had the right to retire here.
All Gas, No Brakes!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 22, 2018, 11:54:09 am
prj is right about one thing.  CMA ain't getting fired.  Ever.  He was hired to retire here.  It's a make-up call for Nolan, who SHOULD have had the right to retire here.

Bingo...we agree....

I feel we will soon be great friends!!!

PRJ

hogsanity

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 22, 2018, 10:09:08 am
We went to the NIT in 2014. I know I am not a trigonometry major like yourself but 2018 minus 2014 is 4 years Ace. 4 years.

You are by far the most misreable poster on this forum. But I have news for you. Mike ain't getting fired. Not next year, not the year after.

PRJ

5 seasons. was the 13/14 season. Since then they have played 14/15 ( NCAAT ) 15/16 ( nothing ) 16/17 ( NCAAT ) & 17/18 ( NCAAT ) so it was 5 seasons ago that they went to the NIT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2018, 12:10:58 pm
5 seasons. was the 13/14 season. Since then they have played 14/15 ( NCAAT ) 15/16 ( nothing ) 16/17 ( NCAAT ) & 17/18 ( NCAAT ) so it was 5 seasons ago that they went to the NIT.

I stand corrected. My sincere apologies.

Mike still ain't getting fired.

PRJ

RacinRazorback

I do think this the best you get with CMA. He either is too stubborn or too dumb to alter his "style" of play. No doubt Nolan helped along with Eddie to build the program then also chose to tear it down when he left and we have yet to recover from it! I hope Mike can get it done because I think he gets to retire from here for being in the Nolan era having been Nolans chosen one. It is better under CMA but we are comparing it to Heath and Pel years!

steveaustin69

PRJ

I'm not miserable, just think for myself.

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2018, 12:10:58 pm

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 12:43:11 pm

I'm not miserable, just think for myself.

Poor guy's job must be miserable. All he does is post and argue on here

GuvHog

March 22, 2018, 12:59:15 pm #278 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:28:41 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 22, 2018, 09:16:41 am

They weren't fools, they were right. Pel's last team earned an NIT bid. That should have bought him another year regardless of the incoming top 10 class. If his Hogs didn't make the NCAA Tournament the next year, then he should have been fired.

The fools were the ones that had been screaming for Mike Anderson ever since Nolan was terminated even though Mike wasn't ready to be the HC at Arkansas back then.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rude1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 22, 2018, 09:37:42 am

One minor detail glossed over. Bruce Pearl won the conference in his 4th year, even if he didn't get out of the first weekend. Our coach has done neither in 7 years. Advantage Pearl?

GlassofSwine

March 22, 2018, 02:03:43 pm #280 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:18:04 pm by GlassofSwine
Quote from: rude1 on March 22, 2018, 01:14:12 pm
One minor detail glossed over. Bruce Pearl won the conference in his 4th year, even if he didn't get out of the first weekend. Our coach has done neither in 7 years. Advantage Pearl?

I didn't gloss over it, but it wouldn't matter to you if MA had tied for the SEC title once in 7 years. In fact if we would have tied for the SEC title this year and then been bounced like Auburn was by Clemson, the vitriol here would probably be worse. I guarantee that if this years team would have beat Butler and lost to Purdue you would be whining about not making a Sweet 16 in 7 years. If we would have beat Purdue and made the Sweet 16 you would have pointed to 1 Sweet 16 in 7 years and then pointed to Macon, Barford and possibly Gafford leaving and say "so what he made the Sweet 16 and next year we we'll suck again." You are going criticize MA no matter what he does outside of making the Final Four.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 22, 2018, 02:03:43 pm
I didn't gloss over it, but it wouldn't matter to you if MA had tied for the SEC title once in 7 years. In fact if we would have tied for the SEC title this year and then been bounced like Auburn was by Clemson, the vitriol here would probably be worse. I guarantee that if this years team would have beat Butler and lost to Purdue you would be whining about not making a Sweet 16 in 7 years. If we would have beat Purdue and made the Sweet 16 you would have pointed to 1 Sweet 16 in 7 years and then pointed to Macon, Barford and possibly Gafford leaving and say "so what he made the Sweet 16 and next year we we'll suck again." You are going criticize MA no matter what he does outside of making the Final Four.

I would not have criticized them for losing to Purdue, Purdue is a better team, with better players and a better coach. It is why they are a 2 seed, and still playing, and the Hogs are home.

I said before the Butler game, if Butler just came out and beat the hogs I would not complain there either, but I would complain if the Hogs lost the same way they have been doing for 7 seasons, playing poor D, rebounding poorly, etc, and that is EXACTLY what they did. They basically gave Butler a 19 pt lead, then came all the way back to take the lead, only to fall right back into what gave Butler a 19 pt lead to begin with and end up losing by 17. Because once again Mike refuses to change anything.

I used to try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now I think he lacks the coaching skills to change things up. Apparently in practice he cant teach man AND zone. He only goes to zone as an act of utter desperation and only then until he feels safe after they beat a couple sec cellar dwellers. Nope, just keep switching that hig ball screen so your big gets dragged 20ft from the rim, and your guard is trying to play some 6'9" pf. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GlassofSwine

March 22, 2018, 03:27:11 pm #282 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:48:25 pm by GlassofSwine
Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2018, 03:19:04 pm
I would not have criticized them for losing to Purdue, Purdue is a better team, with better players and a better coach. It is why they are a 2 seed, and still playing, and the Hogs are home.

I said before the Butler game, if Butler just came out and beat the hogs I would not complain there either, but I would complain if the Hogs lost the same way they have been doing for 7 seasons, playing poor D, rebounding poorly, etc, and that is EXACTLY what they did. They basically gave Butler a 19 pt lead, then came all the way back to take the lead, only to fall right back into what gave Butler a 19 pt lead to begin with and end up losing by 17. Because once again Mike refuses to change anything.

I used to try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now I think he lacks the coaching skills to change things up. Apparently in practice he cant teach man AND zone. He only goes to zone as an act of utter desperation and only then until he feels safe after they beat a couple sec cellar dwellers. Nope, just keep switching that hig ball screen so your big gets dragged 20ft from the rim, and your guard is trying to play some 6'9" pf.

I didn't say people would gripe about losing to Purdue, I said they would gripe because that meant we didn't make the Sweet 16, my whole point was that even if we beat Butler and lost to a better Purdue team people would still complain. Furthermore, I guarantee even if we had beaten Purdue people would be complaining that next year looked grim and Mike has still only had 1 good year in 7.

Porked Tongue

Cargill A. BullHog

March 22, 2018, 04:51:27 pm #284 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:18:49 pm by Cargill A. BullHog
Quote from: jvanhorn on March 22, 2018, 02:11:22 am
What has he done or accomplished? He hasn't even managed a conference championship, let alone anything else.  He took a program that was a dumpster fire and has made it a non cheating somewhat competitive program.  So, basically, he has come in here and cleaned up a mess and--well that's about it.

He's brought back the most exciting brand of basketball ever played.  He's turned our losing program into a consistent winner.  He wins close games, and he wins when leading at halftime.  He graduates players, he shows class and integrity in both wins and losses.  He puts up with all the knuckleheads who scream fire him after every loss , without ever saying a negative word (which was Nolan's downfall)  he's improved our talent level, our win total, our attendance and our national standing while at the same time dealing with naysayers, APR/NCAA problems, the best program in the nation (UK) & a bitter rivalry with a past employer (Mizzou) and cheating by opponets that got the FBI involved.  Whats Coach A done, everything he can to make the program great again.  He deserves a few more years to get us back to NCAA lock every year.  He's on the way there. 
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Porked Tongue

Here is something Irwin said on another thread and I'm going to bring that here:

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 22, 2018, 05:50:47 pm
I'm told that Mike Anderson will decide when he's no longer the coach at Arkansas. He won't be fired but supposedly he will retire if he thinks he's not moving the program forward. The word is he's pretty excited right now because he believes that recruiting has picked up. He also thinks there will be less cheating because of the FBI probe which, over the next few years, will level the playing field for those coaches who run a clean program.

I pretty much agree with this but it also goes to my point about Anderson not facing any real pressure.  I said it up front and many times that I like him.  I'm just not satisfied with the results and the fact he seems bulletproof.

I do think his exit will be graceful.

On the FBI probe, I've heard the very same.  But it still comes down to how you coach your talent versus the talent and coaching of the other teams.  This is especially true in big games and throughout conference play.  He's just not getting signature wins on a regular basis.

I go back to my original statement and the thread(from 2 years ago) I linked on the first page.  His high floor is what saves him but his low ceiling is a real disappointment.

MaconBacon

MA really needs appropriate assistants that will take stuff seriously.   TJ is still has that same pose sitting on the bench as he did when he was on the team.  I cant imagine how animated he is in practice if that's what we get during a game on display in public. 

We just need a Sweet 16 run to possibly spark some new talent interest or at least levitate things a bit.

I like Mike and I want to win with Mike, but we do need a little shake up in the staff.

Porked Tongue

Mike has exactly the kind of assistants he wants.  Good men that support what he does and are not boat rockers.

But you have to wonder what other jobs they'd find if he wasn't here.  Almost assuredly not as well paying as at the UA.

Kevin

We got what many of us knew from the start. Mike was going to retire  here regardless of wins & losses

There are two guys on that bench that does not know anything different. They have not worked for anyone else.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Breems

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 12:43:35 pm
We got what many of us knew from the start. Mike was going to retire  here regardless of wins & losses

So glad all of you fortune tellers don't work anywhere near the administration.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Kevin

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2018, 12:53:59 pm

The guys that made the decision knew what they were doing

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2018, 12:53:59 pm

Wish we were the administration. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 23, 2018, 12:29:18 pm
Mike has exactly the kind of assistants he wants.  Good men that support what he does and are not boat rockers.

But you have to wonder what other jobs they'd find if he wasn't here.  Almost assuredly not as well paying as at the UA.

Has it been 4 former Nolan asst's and/or players who have had college head coaching jobs in addition to Mike?

Stoglin - Jackson St
Edgar - Murray St, Duquesne, SEMO, East Ok Trailer Park Vo Tech
Hawkins - Interim HC at Prairie View A&M
Corliss - UCA

::)

Anyway, you are right.  He has his asst's he wants. 

And is it normal for a coach to have 16 seasons as a head coach without even sprouting a hint of a branch of a coaching tree? 

Porked Tongue

I'm not to caught up in who was right and who was wrong on predicting Mike's success.

But I am concerned how such a piddly amount of success is so highly acclaimed.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 23, 2018, 02:27:22 pm
I'm not to caught up in who was right and who was wrong on predicting Mike's success.

Every single person I know and 90 percent of this board expect more from the basketball program than we've been getting. 

Breems

"Highly acclaimed" by who? Jump Ball Group 1?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mhuff

PRJ

Trig major or not 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 would be five years. Not a matter of subtracting; it is a matter of counting or adding. Just saying. I don't have a dog in this fight.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2018, 04:38:31 pm
We'll let them identify themselves.

Of course satisfied UA bosses notwithstanding.

Sivad

I am concerned how such a piddly amount of success is so highly acclaimed.

Good question and good description.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2018, 04:38:31 pm

Well I like to think of myself breems...