Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So you like food trucks?

Started by twistitup, March 11, 2018, 06:12:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

March 11, 2018, 06:12:04 am Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:18:34 am by twistitup
Baker Mayfield 'grilled' about Arkansas arrest by teams at combine.

Fayetteville....staying in the news.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-g-m-asked-baker-111952442.html

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawgboy64

I still think we should sign those cops to play defense for the Hogs.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hog N Bama

Tejano Jawg

I knew that vid was out there, but I'd never seen it until now. It's pretty dang good...the initial hit was strong, but I like how Mayfield hits that wall for the second shot!

His attempt to runnoft (Oh Brother reference) is that of a stupid drunk guy. BUT, the "are you kidding me?" bit shows the arrogant, piece-of-s nature that he has hard-wired in. His talent is unquestionable, and I did like watching him play, but I consistently wished failure on him. And I couldn't stand hearing OU people brag about him...a couple Dallas sports radio guys are Sooner fans, and every time they'd talk about him you could hear the pee running off their chairs and onto the floor.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

AlmaHog2011

He thinks because he is OU he is above the law. Guarantee if that happened anywhere in Oklahoma that video would have been lost or never heard of or seen.

phadedhawg

Here's hoping the lad has grown up a bit.  The comparison to Johnny Manziel should be a great motivator to do better.  I know it would piss me off especially if I had done things in the past to kind of deserve it. 

RebelliousHog

I think he did what a lot of college guys do. Run.

Having said that, yes, he is cocky, and I know he caught a lot of flak for some gestures he made in the TCU/Baylor(?) game.  I would be pissed too, if I went out for pregame coin flip and the other team dissed me by not shaking my hand. As far as planting the flag at Michy? Screw Michy.  They are as bad as Mayfield as a team, IMO.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

SooieGeneris

Quote from: HenduHog on March 11, 2018, 02:36:15 pm
I think he did what a lot of college guys do. Run.

Having said that, yes, he is cocky, and I know he caught a lot of flak for some gestures he made in the TCU/Baylor(?) game.  I would be pissed too, if I went out for pregame coin flip and the other team dissed me by not shaking my hand. As far as planting the flag at Michy? Screw Michy.  They are as bad as Mayfield as a team, IMO.

The on field gestures were at Kansas and the flag was planted at Ohio State, located in the same state as Cleveland...

With the trade of Kizer to GB and bringing in Tyrod Taylor, who they surely don't see as anything but a caretaker QB who can keep the seat warm for a rookie QB to be named, I don't see Cleveland as a destination for Mayfield.

Looks like they take Saquon Barkley at #1, then take Darnold, Josh Allen or Rosen at #4. With Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon (provided he keeps his nose clean) Njoku and Barkley, the Brownies may actually have an offense in 2018 and the future with the right QB, just don't think BM goes quite that high in the 1st round.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

RebelliousHog

The questions the Browns have are:
1 Do they take Barkley, Guice or Chubb. Some analysts say Chubb is the best choice, others Barkely. Others, Guice. In reality none would be bad. Barkley is the darling of the draft, as he should be.

2. Rosen, Darnald, Mayfield?  When you study who people think it should be they are split. All 3 are picks by various people in the know.

I think what the Browns have to consider is who is  ready NOW.  IMO that is Mayfield. He is older (23), he is a leader, he is (according to people who know) more field ready with few mechanic issues. The other all have things that need to be resolved in throwing mechanics. Yes, he is on the shorter side, BUT, so are Brees and Wilson. Who argues with their success? If he an ass and/or jerk? Maybe, but do you want a QB who can compete now, and is an ass, or do you want a media darling who may take a year OR MORE to play?

All in all it's a crapshoot anyway. One reviewer mentioned that Mallett and Young (Texas) were can't misses in the NFL because of their size and arms. We all know how that turned out. I wouldn't want to be in the Brown's shoes. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Thatdudeman

Well the kid definitely ain't very elusive

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on March 18, 2018, 11:13:09 am
The questions the Browns have are:
1 Do they take Barkley, Guice or Chubb. Some analysts say Chubb is the best choice, others Barkely. Others, Guice. In reality none would be bad. Barkley is the darling of the draft, as he should be.

2. Rosen, Darnald, Mayfield?  When you study who people think it should be they are split. All 3 are picks by various people in the know.

I think what the Browns have to consider is who is  ready NOW.  IMO that is Mayfield. He is older (23), he is a leader, he is (according to people who know) more field ready with few mechanic issues. The other all have things that need to be resolved in throwing mechanics. Yes, he is on the shorter side, BUT, so are Brees and Wilson. Who argues with their success? If he an ass and/or jerk? Maybe, but do you want a QB who can compete now, and is an ass, or do you want a media darling who may take a year OR MORE to play?

All in all it's a crapshoot anyway. One reviewer mentioned that Mallett and Young (Texas) were can't misses in the NFL because of their size and arms. We all know how that turned out. I wouldn't want to be in the Brown's shoes.

Who would you rather, RG3 or Aaron Rodgers. RG3 had a great first year. Rodgers didn't start til something like his fourth season.

Obviously that's a loaded question, but it illustrates the point. Don't spend a first round pick on a "safe" option. Don't go for the guy that can't take you where you need to go.

If I'm Cleveland, in simplest terms, go for the guy with the highest probability of reaching the highest ceiling. At the NFL, the biggest separator IMO is the 6" between your ears. Once you eliminate the players who are simply physically not capable of playing in the NFL, then it becomes about smarts. NFL defenders are way faster than college defenders. The pace of the game happens much quicker as a result. The same thing that happens from HS to college happens from college to pros. You have guys who are big and fast and strong, but can't process the information fast enough, or can't handle the increased time requirements in mastering the skill. So basically, the ceiling is determined at the combine to some degree with the probability determined by interviews and figuring out their brain. Ideally.

If they have a high probability of success but a lower ceiling, you take them in a later round as a safe, but not terribly exciting prospect. If they have a high ceiling but low probability, you take then in a later round as a project, development player. If they have a high ceiling and a high probability, you take them in an early round.

Don't reach and take a Blaine Gabbert early if the player simply is worth that value. Take risks later in the draft. Worst case, you have a great team to surround the top pick in next year's draft. Otherwise, you are taking a risky qb in a team where he probably won't have a lot of help.

I'd recommend them take a similar approach to Washington, speaking of RG3. Robert Griffen III had a high ceiling and showed high promise between the ears and was worth the risk early in the draft. However, they doubled up on Cousins as a lower ceiling qb but with high potential b/w the ears. Griffen suffered from too many injuries and developing an ego that didn't seem to exist beforehand. Cousins, while a lower ceiling, still had enough arm strength to make the needed throws and ended up using his brain to be a top paid player in the NFL. Same thing with Brady and likely Garrroppolo in the future. None of them have physical attributes that are particularly outstanding. Obviously a player who has the mental game to go along with the physical game is ideal, but not required. Then I'd triple down with the veteran player odds are if none of those three work out, somebody else will take your job and it'll be their problem.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelliousHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 20, 2018, 12:33:41 am
Who would you rather, RG3 or Aaron Rodgers. RG3 had a great first year. Rodgers didn't start til something like his fourth season.

Obviously that's a loaded question, but it illustrates the point. Don't spend a first round pick on a "safe" option. Don't go for the guy that can't take you where you need to go.

If I'm Cleveland, in simplest terms, go for the guy with the highest probability of reaching the highest ceiling. At the NFL, the biggest separator IMO is the 6" between your ears. Once you eliminate the players who are simply physically not capable of playing in the NFL, then it becomes about smarts. NFL defenders are way faster than college defenders. The pace of the game happens much quicker as a result. The same thing that happens from HS to college happens from college to pros. You have guys who are big and fast and strong, but can't process the information fast enough, or can't handle the increased time requirements in mastering the skill. So basically, the ceiling is determined at the combine to some degree with the probability determined by interviews and figuring out their brain. Ideally.

If they have a high probability of success but a lower ceiling, you take them in a later round as a safe, but not terribly exciting prospect. If they have a high ceiling but low probability, you take then in a later round as a project, development player. If they have a high ceiling and a high probability, you take them in an early round.

Don't reach and take a Blaine Gabbert early if the player simply is worth that value. Take risks later in the draft. Worst case, you have a great team to surround the top pick in next year's draft. Otherwise, you are taking a risky qb in a team where he probably won't have a lot of help.

I'd recommend them take a similar approach to Washington, speaking of RG3. Robert Griffen III had a high ceiling and showed high promise between the ears and was worth the risk early in the draft. However, they doubled up on Cousins as a lower ceiling qb but with high potential b/w the ears. Griffen suffered from too many injuries and developing an ego that didn't seem to exist beforehand. Cousins, while a lower ceiling, still had enough arm strength to make the needed throws and ended up using his brain to be a top paid player in the NFL. Same thing with Brady and likely Garrroppolo in the future. None of them have physical attributes that are particularly outstanding. Obviously a player who has the mental game to go along with the physical game is ideal, but not required. Then I'd triple down with the veteran player odds are if none of those three work out, somebody else will take your job and it'll be their problem.

Rodgers was behind Favre. Comparing that to the Browns is like apples and oranges.