Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How is Rutledge in college?

Started by Mark anderson, March 06, 2018, 07:09:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark anderson

What's the story here? The guy is 6'8 280 and throws 97. How in the world did he not get drafted in the top couple of rounds?

rolyat_2008

Wanted to come to school. Teams wouldn't meet his price demands like Bonnin, Turney, Kjerstad, etc.

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

pigture perfect

I love young me like that. Get an education. Have a little fun. Then go make a great living.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Mark anderson

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 06, 2018, 07:31:04 pm
Wanted to come to school. Teams wouldn't meet his price demands like Bonnin, Turney, Kjerstad, etc.

Yeah but is a different case than the others mentioned I can't believe he didn't have all kinds of money thrown at him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Mark anderson on March 06, 2018, 09:02:13 pm
Yeah but is a different case than the others mentioned I can't believe he didn't have all kinds of money thrown at him.
How so?

Rutledge leading into the draft last year weighed 240 and topped out at 94.  He has put on about 20-25 pounds since then and still looks like he could fill out some more.  By gaining that weight as well, he has added some velo where he is more 94-97 now.  He is a great example of a player filling out when getting older.  And maybe he wanted like 2M+ to sign and forgo school.  That is tough for players to get now.

Bonnin and Turney were the top two players in Texas to go to school.  Bonnin originally committed as a SS and could contribute in the field in 2019 / 2020; however, he throws 95-97 with a wipeout slider.  Sure he doesn't have a frame like Rutledge does, but he was the highest rated arm in our class.  Turney has Spanberger power plus at the plate and would have probably been our DH if Bonfield was still not on campus.  He was a potential top 10 overall pick when he committed and then injured his throwing shoulder and had a high number as well.

Kjerstad was not as highly rated as the other three, but it sure looks like he should have been.

Mark anderson

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 06, 2018, 09:18:51 pm
How so?

Rutledge leading into the draft last year weighed 240 and topped out at 94.  He has put on about 20-25 pounds since then and still looks like he could fill out some more.  By gaining that weight as well, he has added some velo where he is more 94-97 now.  He is a great example of a player filling out when getting older.  And maybe he wanted like 2M+ to sign and forgo school.  That is tough for players to get now.

Bonnin and Turney were the top two players in Texas to go to school.  Bonnin originally committed as a SS and could contribute in the field in 2019 / 2020; however, he throws 95-97 with a wipeout slider.  Sure he doesn't have a frame like Rutledge does, but he was the highest rated arm in our class.  Turney has Spanberger power plus at the plate and would have probably been our DH if Bonfield was still not on campus.  He was a potential top 10 overall pick when he committed and then injured his throwing shoulder and had a high number as well.

Kjerstad was not as highly rated as the other three, but it sure looks like he should have been.

I hear you but to your point there was a story on the rest. Still seems like a dude with that frame would have been drafted super high based on project ability alone.

I'm glad he is here but it makes no sense to me

WBOBO

Quote from: Mark anderson on March 06, 2018, 10:13:44 pm
I hear you but to your point there was a story on the rest. Still seems like a dude with that frame would have been drafted super high based on project ability alone.

I'm glad he is here but it makes no sense to me
Maybe he would like to just live a college life for a few years.   Sow a
few oats, work on improving his skills with better coaches, and play in front
of weekend crowds that draw an average attendance of 10k plus come conference
time.  Doesn't sound like a bad gig to me.  Plus get an education.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

hogwild04

Have a strong feeling Jackson will be a upper draft pick in 2 years,  really think he was clear about going to school, that is why Bonnin, Turney and Hjersted dropped in draft, if Bonnin would had taken the 900,000 offered he would had went in 3rd round, but him and Turney wanted around 1.8 to 2 million.  Bolden, Bonnin, Jackson, Turney, Martin, and Optiz could all be upper round draft picks in 2 years. Easton Murrell has a shot as well. just shows how loaded our freshman class is.  ,