Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apalachiacola

Started by HawgWild, February 23, 2018, 11:47:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Any one visited here before? Looks pretty laid back. Any suggestions on rentals on St. George Island?

TIA

HawgWild

You guys are no help! I guess there's a reason they call it "Florida's Forgotten Coast"!  ;D

Hoot72

My son and his wife stayed at Cape San Blas for a week a couple of years ago, and like the lack of crowds.  That same summer we were sitting in a restaurant on 30A, and talking about them going there.  The lady in the booth next to us, said they lived in the 30A area, but they went to that area to vacation.  She said, that in her opinion, it was more like what old Florida was like.  There was a fella on this board that moved from the Santa Rosa area to St. George island, for all the reasons we talked about.  You could go back through some of the older 30A threads and find his screen name.  That doesn't help you with rentals, but it gives you some flavor to the area.  I think that if I were going there, I might go to the Cape San Blas area, particularly if I was looking for a beach.  I've not seen it personally, but from the map it seems like Apalachicola might be situated wrong for beaches on the gulf.

Arkiehawg was the fellow that I was talking about -- moved from Santa Rosa to Cape San Blas.  He has not posted anything since 12-13-17, but he is the one that I would ask about any of that area down there.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hoot72 on March 15, 2018, 09:21:44 pm
My son and his wife stayed at Cape San Blas for a week a couple of years ago, and like the lack of crowds.  That same summer we were sitting in a restaurant on 30A, and talking about them going there.  The lady in the booth next to us, said they lived in the 30A area, but they went to that area to vacation.  She said, that in her opinion, it was more like what old Florida was like.  There was a fella on this board that moved from the Santa Rosa area to St. George island, for all the reasons we talked about.  You could go back through some of the older 30A threads and find his screen name.  That doesn't help you with rentals, but it gives you some flavor to the area.  I think that if I were going there, I might go to the Cape San Blas area, particularly if I was looking for a beach.  I've not seen it personally, but from the map it seems like Apalachicola might be situated wrong for beaches on the gulf.

Arkiehawg was the fellow that I was talking about -- moved from Santa Rosa to Cape San Blas.  He has not posted anything since 12-13-17, but he is the one that I would ask about any of that area down there.

Arkiehawg is the guy.  Also used to go by Kingfisher0318.  Super nice guy who moved into that area a couple years or so ago.  He had extended an invitation to my wife and I to visit while we were on vacation one year and we just flat never got over there.  Seems like it was another 150 miles or so to get there and once we got settled in that extra 300 miles in a car was not something we wanted to do.  That area along 30-A has gotten so busy it's ridiculous. 

Speaking of Apalachicola, that's where all the great oysters come from.  We'll probably go through 3 boxes of them while we're down there. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 16, 2018, 07:16:01 am
Arkiehawg is the guy.  Also used to go by Kingfisher0318.  Super nice guy who moved into that area a couple years or so ago.  He had extended an invitation to my wife and I to visit while we were on vacation one year and we just flat never got over there.  Seems like it was another 150 miles or so to get there and once we got settled in that extra 300 miles in a car was not something we wanted to do.  That area along 30-A has gotten so busy it's ridiculous. 

Speaking of Apalachicola, that's where all the great oysters come from.  We'll probably go through 3 boxes of them while we're down there. 
Oysters were scarce this winter, but are looking up this spring. i got some bout a month ago from a place I frequent that were no bigger than a quarter. Found out they got them out of Cedar Key
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Boarcephus

Do you live down there?  We picked up a box from Shrimpers last October when the water was up and they'd shut some beds down and they were hard to come by.  The oysters were  somewhat flat shaped, super light and had paper thin shells and were a bitch to shuck. Tried to find out what kind they were but had no luck. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

porkinsons disease

I'm in Panama City. We used to rent a house down in Cape San Blas every year. There was only 1 restaurant and a BP convenience store there. Very relaxing and definitely the complete opposite of 30-A
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

HawgWild

I read somewhere that at one time 90% of the Oysters harvested in Florida came from the Apalachicola Bay area. No wonder the area's economy is depressed. We'll be down there for their 54th Annual Seafood Festival this November. Have a home rented on SGI.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: HawgWild on March 19, 2018, 09:54:56 am
I read somewhere that at one time 90% of the Oysters harvested in Florida came from the Apalachicola Bay area. No wonder the area's economy is depressed. We'll be down there for their 54th Annual Seafood Festival this November. Have a home rented on SGI.
That sounds correct. The battle over the waters released to the Appalachicola river is ongoing and may never be settled. Unfortunately, Georgia and specifically Atlanta will probably win out. There are shelling programs underway, but without the fresh water supply will only be a temporary fix.