Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smyly signs with cubs

Started by Kevin, December 12, 2017, 09:55:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

2 year deal. He will not pitch this year, because of tommy John surgey
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BroyledNutts

pigture perfect

I've always pulled for Drew. Not now. just can't.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rocky&Boarwinkle

southarkhog06

Yesssssss!!!!

I drink the tears of you haters... ;D

Tai_Mai_Shu

Pretty stoked as I am a Cubs fan

311Hog

i just hope he comes back stronger than ever from TJ.

PintailKiller

He was a Maddon guy when both were in TB.  Makes sense.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

thebignasty

Hope he pitches well once he make it back.

Hope the cubs suck real bad.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

popcornhog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on December 12, 2017, 11:46:08 pm
Second

I disagree. I will pull for him to bounce back from surgery, display great stuff, and have the best ERA of his career. And a horrible W-L record.

:)
WPS

jvanhorn

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on December 12, 2017, 11:46:08 pm
Second

Always good to have the most arragant baseball fans in American weigh in with their opinons.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 08, 2018, 03:35:44 am
Always good to have the most arragant baseball fans in American weigh in with their opinons.
If an Arkansas kid transferred to Texas would you "pull" for him?  Asking a Cardinals fan to pull for a Cubs player is the same analogy.  When he was with the Tigers, etc. I could care less, and wished him well.

Using the incorrectly spelled "arragant" says more about your hater attitude towards the second most successful franchise in baseball history than anything to do with Smyly.  I feel the same way about the Yankees.  The difference is that I fully admit to being a hater to all things Yankee.  They have frequently bought the best players money could buy.  At least St. Louis has done it with player development and their farm system. Deal with it.  ;D

southarkhog06

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 14, 2018, 12:36:51 pm
If an Arkansas kid transferred to Texas would you "pull" for him?  Asking a Cardinals fan to pull for a Cubs player is the same analogy.  When he was with the Tigers, etc. I could care less, and wished him well.

Using the incorrectly spelled "arragant" says more about your hater attitude towards the second most successful franchise in baseball history than anything to do with Smyly.  I feel the same way about the Yankees.  The difference is that I fully admit to being a hater to all things Yankee.  They have frequently bought the best players money could buy.  At least St. Louis has done it with player development and their farm system. Deal with it.  ;D
The last 3 years must have been hard on you...

dotnet

At least St. Louis has done it with player development and their farm system. Deal with it.  ;D

and steroids and stealing.  Literally stealing other people's player development and farm system data and using steroids to enhance performance

dotnet

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 08, 2018, 03:35:44 am

Yes, he spelled a word incorrectly and you came back with a cool burn...

But I guess you had two options after being called out as an arrogant fan base.  You could simply ignore it and leave it as fan conjecture... or you could make your post and leave zero room for doubt.  Well played.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Haters gonna hate.  It is what it is. I am not arrogant.  I am well versed in the talent employed by other teams.  As a person that respects building a farm team, I tip my hat at this current incarnation of the Cubs.  Most of their talent was grown in their system, and is the reason they are so potent and poised to be very successful over the next 5 years because of it.

But MLB is built on rivalries historically.  Expecting a Red Sox fan to be happy because another great talent signed with the Yankees, is the intellectual equivalent of what some of you are saying here in this thread.  And when a cardinal fan expresses dismay that an Arkansas guy went to a team they don't like, some of you in here get a stick up your butt and scream "Arragant".

It's sports, everyone should lighten up.  And after living through most of the 90s as a Cardinal fan who grew up listening to Cardinals games on the radio with his great grandpa, I will be happy when they do well, and will not "expect" to win at all times.  The last few years have been "down" for the Cardinals, but they still finished higher than some teams have done in 5 years.  I don't live and die by a professional sports team's results.

Some of you guys should look up the term "projection".  It will be just like looking in a mirror.  ;D

Oh, and go Cards.  Beat the Cub's overpriced rotation.  ;)

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: southarkhog06 on January 15, 2018, 01:06:55 am
The last 3 years must have been hard on you...
Yes, a true tragedy.   ;)

pigture perfect

Quote from: dotnet on January 15, 2018, 11:24:11 am
and steroids and stealing.  Literally stealing other people's player development and farm system data and using steroids to enhance performance

Yes, we had an individual steal data that was self reported and it has hurt us. And there was not a single franchise that did not have an issue with PED's during the steroid era. Just because we enjoy a good rivalry, doesn't make us arrogant fans.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SPAL

It's not nearly the same as a hog transferring to Texas. Once they play for the hogs, they are ours no matter which mlb team they play for. You can bet that if Benintendi played for the expos, I would wish him success. The expos can burn to the ground and never win a flippin game for all I care. But AB is a hog.

dotnet

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 15, 2018, 12:54:23 pm
Yes, we had an individual steal data that was self reported and it has hurt us.

That is false.  It was not self reported.  The federal investigation was initiated by the Astros via MLB. 

Also -  the penalty came out to about 3.8M worth of penalty.  Which when you consider having 2/30's of all proprietary data in baseball and essentially unfettered access to the inter-workings of one of the smartest's front offices in baseball, that is a pretty efficient value. hacking is the new moneyball

pigture perfect

This is USA Today Jan. 30, 2017

I don't consider this a small fine, neither does MLB, the Astro's or Cardinals either evidently. Not to mention the pool money, and draft choices. The tarnished reputation by the organization Also hurts. I'll try and post the link to the article about the self reporting to the Astro's which led to the investigation. Well, maybe not. I'm tired of things that are already under the bridge.

(Photo: Bob Levey, AP)
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
Major League Baseball dropped an unprecedented penalty on the St. Louis Cardinals for their former scouting director's hacking of the Houston Astros' computer system, ordering the Cardinals to send their top two draft picks to the Astros and pay them $2 million in damages, while placing perpetrator Chris Correa on the permanently ineligible list.

Commissioner Rob Manfred wrote in his ruling that no Cardinals employee other than Correa participated in the hacking and there will be no further discipline.

"Although Mr. Correa's conduct was not authorized by the Cardinals, as a matter of MLB policy I am holding the Cardinals responsible for his conduct," Manfred wrote. . "Mr. Correa held positions in the Cardinals' front office that enabled him to have input into his club's decisions and processes.

"As a result, I am holding the club vicariously liable for his misconduct."

Monday's actions seemingly put an end to a saga that began when Correa, a former colleague of Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, hacked into their computer systems in 2013 and 2014 after Luhnow and other Cardinals executives joined the Astros. Correa's role came to light in 2015, when the Cardinals terminated him while he was under federal investigation. In July 2016, Correa was sentenced to 46 months in prison and ordered to pay the Astros $279,000 in restitution.

"This unprecedented award by the Commissioner's office sends a clear message of the severity of these actions," the Astros said in a statement.

dotnet

Yes, my 3.8M is including the value of the picks in addition to the fine. 

And while the Astros have always said the right things publicly (including about going to the AL when they didn't want to), many baseball "insiders" and what not have intimated that they think its bs.  The astros didn't even get a first round draft pick. 

hoghappy

Quote from: dotnet on January 16, 2018, 10:48:45 am
Yes, my 3.8M is including the value of the picks in addition to the fine. 

And while the Astros have always said the right things publicly (including about going to the AL when they didn't want to), many baseball "insiders" and what not have intimated that they think its bs.  The astros didn't even get a first round draft pick. 

What kind of cheese do you like with your whine. You are just trying to stir things up. Kinda looks like all you know of baseball is what you read.

dotnet

Quote from: hoghappy on January 16, 2018, 11:02:56 am
What kind of cheese do you like with your whine. You are just trying to stir things up. Kinda looks like all you know of baseball is what you read.

What am I whining about?  I only pipped up to point out the brilliance of someone responding to being called arrogant by coming off as really arrogant.   

And yes, everything I know of the hacking scandal is what I've read or heard.  I'm not sure what the point is here? 

Edit to add: I have tried to limit my "just trying to stir things up" actions and not engage this type of discussion.  However, I think I was encouraged to speak by anti-cub people not at least having popcorn's attitude when it comes to a former Arkansas player:

Quote from: popcornhog on December 25, 2017, 12:35:15 pm
I disagree. I will pull for him to bounce back from surgery, display great stuff, and have the best ERA of his career. And a horrible W-L record.

:)

TexasDad

I've started to comment on this thread a couple times...

I'm new to being engaged in college athletics, but I have enjoyed this board and more expansively, Hog baseball fans in general. The fan base is highly baseball literate, supportive and they treat the team/ballplayers and player parents as family (negative comments or ill will is not tolerated at Baum or on this board).

I'm sure there are plenty of places online to vent ill wishes to former Hogs based on their team affiliation (like they have anything to do with it). However, just like I'll be rooting for the Hogs when they play Texas, but also cheering for a few longhorns I've known since they were in elementary school - one is not mutually exclusive of the other.

It's not that anything terrible has been said here, IMHO it just seems counter to the spirit of this community to wish any Hog alum a poor season (regardless of your pro sport fandom).

SPAL

I don't understand the mantra that you can't root for hog players just because they play for your professional rival.

southarkhog06

Quote from: TexasDad on January 16, 2018, 01:59:07 pm
I've started to comment on this thread a couple times...

I'm new to being engaged in college athletics, but I have enjoyed this board and more expansively, Hog baseball fans in general. The fan base is highly baseball literate, supportive and they treat the team/ballplayers and player parents as family (negative comments or ill will is not tolerated at Baum or on this board).

I'm sure there are plenty of places online to vent ill wishes to former Hogs based on their team affiliation (like they have anything to do with it). However, just like I'll be rooting for the Hogs when they play Texas, but also cheering for a few longhorns I've known since they were in elementary school - one is not mutually exclusive of the other.

It's not that anything terrible has been said here, IMHO it just seems counter to the spirit of this community to wish any Hog alum a poor season (regardless of your pro sport fandom).
here here!

MissippHog

I hope Drew has a full recovery and has the best season of his career when he returns.  And I hope the Cubs lose every game he isn't pitching.  You can pull for a player to do well, doesn't mean you're pulling for the team.  Always have to pull for our Hogs.  My youngest son's pitching coach pitched for Miss State, his assistant pitched at Ole Miss and is in the Cubs minor league system now.  And I hope he climbs through the system and makes it to The Show someday.  And this Cards fan will be cheering for him, too.

southarkhog06

I mean hell, I am a life long Cubs fan, who has spent most of my life surrounded by Cards fans. I still cheered for Fowler last season, and if Arrieta goes to the Cards I will root for him too. Sports is not serious enough to hate people.