Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GB lookin more positive

Started by Nosboar Accubond, December 11, 2017, 08:33:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead5

CCM really needs to lock down Bohanon, We need 2 dual threat QBs in this class. Im not sure that we have another dual threat on the roster....If he doesn't land JB, he better push for a JC transfer. The last staff was not open to dual threat QB's, huge mistake. Overall team speed is now the investment.

Beached

Jesus people.

Quit drawing lines in the damn sand about who's the better QB.  It's not a good look.

I'm sure this is standard practice at other programs with multiple high-level options.  Not.

311Hog

Quote from: Beached on December 12, 2017, 10:37:13 am
Jesus people.

Quit drawing lines in the damn sand about who's the better QB.  It's not a good look.

I'm sure this is standard practice at other programs with multiple high-level options.  Not.

^^^ this, both GB and CN need to come to the hill.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I love hogville!!
Bunch of want to be coaches guaranteeing who will start at QB when the competition is between two high schoolers and a redshirt freshman.

RazorPiggie

How'd Jameis end up playing football and baseball and still be the QB1?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: razorhead5 on December 12, 2017, 10:37:09 am
CCM really needs to lock down Bohanon, We need 2 dual threat QBs in this class. Im not sure that we have another dual threat on the roster....If he doesn't land JB, he better push for a JC transfer. The last staff was not open to dual threat QB's, huge mistake. Overall team speed is now the investment.

Which is odd. Wasn't Russell Wilson considered a dual threat?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Peter Porker

You don't watch much film huh? Or don't follow recruiting well?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pig in the Pokey

Dalton Hyatt is dual threat QB. He's also one of the highest rated QBs we've ever signed, ever. #9 QB, #148 ESPN300.

G-Bo is #8 QB, #122 ESPN300.

Connor Noland #14 QB, #243 ESPN300.

One of these guys will be a star. Clearly all three are high level talents, with Hyatt and G-Bo have the higher rated talent, but not by a whole lot. Doesnt mean Noland couldnt win the job, though. I bet he puts baseball on the back burner if that is his goal, though (to be the starting QB).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Um, does CM's offense actually require dual threat?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bkjbearcat on December 12, 2017, 10:42:47 am
Which is odd. Wasn't Russell Wilson considered a dual threat?
russell wilson wasnt a bielema recruit. he was a one year grad transfer after a few years at NC State. Belema riding that dude's sack like he does is embarrassing.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2017, 11:27:28 am
his "optimum" offense does, but he makes do regardless. I could see all of our QBs running it just fine, with the exception of (perhaps) Ty, and that may be me jumping to conclusions on that one.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2017, 11:27:28 am

No, but since every team that has had a dual-threat QB has never lost a game you would see why everyone is wanting one.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 12, 2017, 11:29:48 am
No, but since every team that has had a dual-threat QB has never lost a game you would see why everyone is wanting one.
we havent had one since matt jones.

Peter Porker

FraggleHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2017, 11:30:23 am
we havent had one since matt jones.

IMO, a true dual threat is an accurate passer as well. I saw MJ as more of another RB in the backfield. My memory may be fuzzy, but as I recall, I held my breath every time he passed. I know he's responsible for Miracle on Markham, but don't recall him being that accurate.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 12, 2017, 11:37:19 am
IMO, a true dual threat is an accurate passer as well. I saw MJ as more of another RB in the backfield. My memory may be fuzzy, but as I recall, I held my breath every time he passed. I know he's responsible for Miracle on Markham, but don't recall him being that accurate.
Im with you , although Jones had his moments. Quinn Grovey was more or less the same way.

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 12, 2017, 11:33:15 am
Brandon Mitchell? Damon Mitchell?
them dudes have zero starts between them.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 12, 2017, 11:29:48 am

Which is what I thought.  I think the SMU QB this year only ran on average of like 3 times a game for a total of 6 yards or so.  Probably scrambles too, not design runs.  I could be way off on those stats, though.  Point is, I'm thinking CM is more in the mold of Petrino, than say Malzahn.  He needs a pocket passer.  The ability to escape pressure is always a plus, of course.

Just guessing.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hawg66

And some folks need to check out the offense Kelley ran in HS.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2017, 11:49:49 am
Which is what I thought.  I think the SMU QB this year only ran on average of like 3 times a game for a total of 6 yards or so.  Probably scrambles too, not design runs.  I could be way off on those stats, though.  Point is, I'm thinking CM is more in the mold of Petrino, than say Malzahn.  He needs a pocket passer.  The ability to escape pressure is always a plus, of course.

Just guessing.
it can be done, but it is more optimal with a dual threat.

For those wanting to understand our new offense, here's a great place to start.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

Fascinating read.

hawgwash

At his intro press conference CM talked about his offense at SMU and described the QB as being "mobile enough", or something to that effect.  I took it to mean at least some mobility is needed, but the more the better.

311Hog

Jones could throw, but towards the end he had a shoulder injury on his throwing shoulder so sometimes that thing would flare up. I mean he was no Tom Brady but he was definitely a duel threat qb.

311Hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2017, 11:24:13 am
Dalton Hyatt is dual threat QB. He's also one of the highest rated QBs we've ever signed, ever. #9 QB, #148 ESPN300.

One of these guys will be a star. Clearly all three are high level talents, with Hyatt and G-Bo have the higher rated talent, but not by a whole lot. Doesnt mean Noland couldnt win the job, though. I bet he puts baseball on the back burner if that is his goal, though (to be the starting QB).

any one of these 3 could win the job and i would be perfectly happy and i could see them all succeeding in it.

blu

+1 311, and just cause someone ranks one #9 or #14 or #99 doesn't mean a hill of beans. Look at this year's Heisman Trophy winner.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: blu on December 12, 2017, 12:37:36 pm
+1 311, and just cause someone ranks one #9 or #14 or #99 doesn't mean a hill of beans. Look at this year's Heisman Trophy winner.

Speaking generally, it absolutely does mean a hill of beans.  Guys like Mayfield are the exception, not the rule. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Exactly how I remember it too.  Seems like a lot of his style was like Johnny Football.  Probably made it all up as he went along, and seemingly a quick trigger to use his legs whenever the opportunity arose.  Of course, it was Nutt calling the plays, so Jones gave us a better chance to succeed making stuff up on his own.  Dude was a gazelle.   

Flrazrback

Parents are Alumni, GB is looking at strong about staying home. We are in a great spot to get this young man's commitment. VERY excited, we NEED these kind of Players.. 

Bubba's Bruisers

So what's the supposed story about BB and GB?  First, we supposedly would only offer as a LB, which he wasn't interested. Then maybe we finally offered as a QB, but not sure if some damage had already been done.  Or maybe none of that happened.  Maybe GB just didn't want to pay for BB.  I really don't know the story.

blu

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2017, 12:49:18 pm
Speaking generally, it absolutely does mean a hill of beans.  Guys like Mayfield are the exception, not the rule. 

I'll just say there are plenty of exceptions. Especially at QB.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Birminghog

Quote from: Beached on December 12, 2017, 10:37:13 am
Jesus people.

Pat Boone reference?

https://img.discogs.com/smfTCmPIy74WTrbZpTvQJwXqsPc=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-1726322-1384157304-7086.jpeg.jpg

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: blu on December 12, 2017, 01:05:53 pm
I'll just say there are plenty of exceptions. Especially at QB.

Sure, but finding enough exceptions to adequately fill a roster is unrealistic.  Our program is proof positive of that. 

JONAS

Did Hyatt redshirt?

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: oxhog24 on December 12, 2017, 08:57:03 am
I've never seen Bohannon take a snap in person so cannot comment on his play but due the fact my kids go to school at Greenwood (not from there myself) I have seen almost every snap Noland has played at the High school level....the kid is legit, great arm, runs well, and is both physically and mentally tough. Noland is the best I've seen play QB for Jones at Greenwood, he will do well at the UA, and CCM's system is made for him.  I will not be surprised at all if Noland starts by week 2-3 next fall.

No one is offended it's just that you're obviously a grown man referring to a city as Gaywood. That's something 12 year olds do.
'

311Hog

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on December 12, 2017, 01:22:44 pm
No one is offended it's just that you're obviously a grown man referring to a city as Gaywood. That's something 12 year olds do.
'

arrested development it is a theme in "merica" these days....

Oklahawg

Hyatt redshirted and is an unknown right now. Could push for PT next year.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Boarcephus

Quote from: oxhog24 on December 12, 2017, 08:57:03 am
I've never seen Bohannon take a snap in person so cannot comment on his play but due the fact my kids go to school at Greenwood (not from there myself) I have seen almost every snap Noland has played at the High school level....the kid is legit, great arm, runs well, and is both physically and mentally tough. Noland is the best I've seen play QB for Jones at Greenwood, he will do well at the UA, and CCM's system is made for him.  I will not be surprised at all if Noland starts by week 2-3 next fall.

I slipped down to Ft. Smith to watch Greenwood play the Rebels a couple years ago.  Not really to see the game but to buy Rebel stuff before they got rid of it all.  I think Noland was a sophomore and he looked great even then.  Could make all the throws and make them look easy.  Seems like he was listed as around 185 and kind of skinny but evidently he's filled out. 

Greenwoods offense was something to see as was the entire Greenwood team.  SHS looked fat, short and slow while Greenwood had some athletic looking players.  Impressive to say the least.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pig in the Pokey

JIHawg

What about that poster who said he was a private commit, relentlessly.  Is he still coming around?

HogFoo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 12, 2017, 10:30:55 am
im not biting on that bait... at least you admit you are on the wrong side of history.

As for the thread, yes, we need both Noland and Bohannon. It's important for lots of reasons. They are the two best prospects in state. One from the east, one from the west. A white kid and a black kid. It should be a unifying thing not a decisive thing. Many of us stick up for Bohannon b/c Noland was supposed to be the best recruit and that ended up being bohannon and a good portion of this board was flat-foot in denial about that for a long time and bashed Gerry. That was a bad look for us for obvious reasons.
wrong side of history?  nah, just making fun of some stupid comment made by someone who deserves to be in jail for all of her and her husband's corruption. 

As for the thread.  Yes, we need both Noland and Bohannon. Let them prove who the better QB is as well as Hyatt.  Who knows though, maybe CM is good enough that it wont matter who the QB is, he can turn them into a system QB and itll work regardless of who it is.    I like most Hog fans want the best players we can get.  At this point we are all projecting since no one actually knows wholl be better.  But, Thats what a fan page is for.  Coaches are going to do their own darn thing regardless of what we say.  So,  it's all good.   As for the rest ...i dont give one single damn what color skin someone has.  Mine is brown  by the way.  I want the best possible player we can get. (they could be green for all i care.)   If it's Bohannon, so be it, if it's Noland so be it.     When i look at both players,the  best 2 QBs in state, we have nothing to go by except their body of work.  That and whatever some recruiting service projects on a player.    But, Noland did win against the top schools in the state, and did it quite well, did he not? He even  won a championship(s) did he not?     So, since we are going by body of work, and being as how Coach Jones and Coach Morris are running very similar styles of offense.  Which looks almost tailor made for Noland to step in and have immediate success.  Yes, i'd say the chances that that kid has extreme high chance of being the starter in that type system is very high.  It's not a knock on any other QB we have. Nor on Bohannon.  Iron is only gonna sharpen iron.  If it makes the other QBs work harder and get BETTER, then i am all for that!  Because i want to WIN!    Dont really care about the 'lines drawn in sand'  BS either.    Hopefully, unlike the last stafff, the BEST player will get to start!  No favorites!  No coaches getting their panties in a wad because a couple players made a joke about an assistant and then he keeps them on the bench nearly the whole season.  Hopefully, from now on, we have the best players playing. Period!  I hope Bohannon commits.  I hope he is the next coming of $cam Newton, except for the $180k payout to his dad. haha..   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

JONAS

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 12, 2017, 01:37:50 pm
Hyatt redshirted and is an unknown right now. Could push for PT next year.

Cool.

southeasthog

'

The one you quoted is not the one who posted it.

GoPigs69

247 shows Dalton Hyatt as a pro style quarterback and a 3 Star...which pretty much contradicts every thing you said about him.  That doesn't mean he won't be a future star but there's fact and then there's...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GoPigs69 on December 12, 2017, 06:54:08 pm

247 shows Dalton Hyatt as a pro style quarterback and a 3 Star...which pretty much contradicts every thing you said about him.  That doesn't mean he won't be a future star but there's fact and then there's...

And he was using ESPN, not 247. 

ricepig

Quote from: GoPigs69 on December 12, 2017, 06:54:08 pm

So....you like 247, he likes ESPN, in the end, neither could be correct, or both are.

JonesboroHog68

I believe that Gerry will be the starting QB next season. A program changing talent at that position.

SooieGeneris

'

or certain Presidents..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2017, 07:09:08 pm
So....you like 247, he likes ESPN, in the end, neither could be correct, or both are.

Deep

ricepig

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 11, 2017, 10:00:50 pm
Do y'all really think he would commit here and want to compete with another high level QB in Noland for the starting job?  I feel like the other schools offering him and trying to sell him on coming in and being "their guy" for sure, no competition and that he would be the only QB they take in his class.  I hope this is not the case, but this is was worries me, that we just will only be able to have one or the other...

2 things...

1.) Any coach that tells a kid that is either lying or stupid. You're one down away from being out of a game. Neither BP or CM would ever tell him that, so who else is there..?

2.) Do you want a QB who is afraid of competition..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.