Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

247Sports: Morris acknowledges transition challenges for Year 1

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 11, 2017, 06:09:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

An article from Andrew Hutchinson. Perhaps it was just oversight that he left Whaley and others out of his statement about the tools that Morris would have at his disposal on offense?

Although there are pieces in place to help ease Morris into his new job, such as running backs Chase Hayden and T.J. Hammonds and wide receiver Jordan Jones, he acknowledged it would be a challenge in Year 1.

"I think there's going to be some depth issues at some key positions, but until we get in there and find out, it's going to be hard to see right now," Morris said after his introductory press conference Thursday. "We know there's going to be a little bit of a roster flip that we're going to have to have as we transition, but again, you're still going to line up and run the power and the counter, and the inside and outside zone. That's college football. We're just going to do it in different ways."

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Bolt/Chad-Morris-acknowledges-transition-challenges-for-Year-1-with-Arkansas-Razorbacks-112092013
Go Hogs Go!

hogcards

Disappointed with Whaley to date.  Maybe it's me, I may have over estimated his abilities, but dang he really had me fooled. I thought he was going to better than Collins.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

LZH

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 06:27:03 am
Disappointed with Whaley to date.  Maybe it's me, I may have over estimated his abilities, but dang he really had me fooled. I thought he was going to better than Collins.

I think if he shed about 12-15 lbs he'd be the player we expected him to be.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It seems that under bielema, kids come in as freshmen and play lights out and show much promise for the future. Im not sure why it happens but there seemed to be a sophomore slump. Everyone was calling for Whaley to get more carries in his freshman year due to his explosive ness. That explosiveness seemed to taper off this year. We saw it with alex Collins in his 2nd year as well when he put on weight and got slow. Now hes in the NFL and looks faster than he ever was here. Bielema wanted players at almost every position to bulk up and it made this slower. Morris, however, understands the level of speed needed to win in this conference. For that reason, I think we'll see Whaley take a step forward this season along with others
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgdavis

Quote from: LZH on December 11, 2017, 06:38:00 am

This is what I was thinking about with several of the skill position players. They are going to ( coaching staff) trim the excess weight off these guys and work the speed back into them. We have good players that can be great but they were just being used incorrectly. BB tried to beef everybody up to run a physical power game and wound up with a slow big 10 team with an offensive Coordinator that wanted to run a finesse type of offense and it obviously didn't work out to well.

Not everyone will translate into the new scheme but I think most we have will be able to be transformed and molded into the new scheme.

I don't look for this to happen quick but by the end of next season things should be looking up. I look for 6 - 8 wins next season it just depends on how quickly CCM  can change the culture. The culture is going to be his biggest hurdle, many are not going to like the non-buddy buddy aspect of things at first where it's Morris ( I'm the coach) players you are not my buddy you are the players and I expect more out of you if you are going to play , no favorites here.

rzrbk4life

AC had a little bit better line to run behind than Whaley does. I'm excited to see what Whaley can do in CCMs offense
Let's call those hogs!!!!

DOGALUM

Dev ran track in HS.  Nothing keeps you lean and fast like running track. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

rhames

Quote from: rzrbk4life on December 11, 2017, 07:29:20 am
AC had a little bit better line to run behind than Whaley does. I'm excited to see what Whaley can do in CCMs offense

AC is also starting in the NFL so maybe not fair to Whaley to compare him to Alex.

Every one gets a fresh start now. Will be up to the individual player to make the most of it.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hoggish1

Anyone can see he has gained weight.  IT has not helped his quickness.  There needs to be serious discussion about how to make him more effective and it would seem losing a little weight won't hurt.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 11, 2017, 06:46:32 am
Biggest problem with whaley was Herb. He looked bulked up and sluggish this year.
Exact same thing we said about Alex Collins
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rhames

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 11, 2017, 07:33:16 am
Anyone can see he has gained weight.  IT has not helped his quickness.  There needs to be serious discussion about how to make him more effective and it would seem losing a little weight won't hurt.

I think this is about to change.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgdavis on December 11, 2017, 06:55:25 am
This is what I was thinking about with several of the skill position players. They are going to ( coaching staff) trim the excess weight off these guys and work the speed back into them. We have good players that can be great but they were just being used incorrectly. BB tried to beef everybody up to run a physical power game and wound up with a slow big 10 team with an offensive Coordinator that wanted to run a finesse type of offense and it obviously didn't work out to well.

Not everyone will translate into the new scheme but I think most we have will be able to be transformed and molded into the new scheme.

I don't look for this to happen quick but by the end of next season things should be looking up. I look for 6 - 8 wins next season it just depends on how quickly CCM  can change the culture. The culture is going to be his biggest hurdle, many are not going to like the non-buddy buddy aspect of things at first where it's Morris ( I'm the coach) players you are not my buddy you are the players and I expect more out of you if you are going to play , no favorites here.

Exactly

Dark Helmet Hog

The entire team has been slowed down due to body by Herb. They should start to get their step back now.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Let him get in condition and see what's what... I don't doubt the man has heart. I believe he will run angry this year.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

This Coach will get the weight off his WR and RB for sure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

livevanguy

I'm curious how much of DW issues were also related to O-line play. It just hasn't been the same for 2 seasons. Once we lost the experience of Skipper and Tretola it seems like everything on the line went backward and it effected the run game. That's also about the time Anderson came on board. I also don't think Froholdt should have moved from defense. He may fit the body type, but I watched him in practices (before he ever played a game as a freshman) taking it to Kirkland. He just had natural talent. I have often wondered how he might have developed on the D-line. It just seemed like a complete loss of time to switch him as late in the game to O-line and have him figure it out during the season.   
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Bret said Whaley had the most talent of any RB he had ever been associated with.  Bret has been around a few good RBs.  So he was either blowing smoke for Whaley to hear or he meant it.  I think he meant it.  Many, many of our players played and looked better right out of High School than nearly anytime after that.  I think Whaley will rise to the challenge and show up this coming season.  RB is in good hands if no one transfers.  We got big or fast, then good size and speed.  I just wish we had every position covered like we do RB.

farmhawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 11, 2017, 06:43:39 am
It seems that under bielema, kids come in as freshmen and play lights out and show much promise for the future. Im not sure why it happens but there seemed to be a sophomore slump. Everyone was calling for Whaley to get more carries in his freshman year due to his explosive ness. That explosiveness seemed to taper off this year. We saw it with alex Collins in his 2nd year as well when he put on weight and got slow. Now hes in the NFL and looks faster than he ever was here. Bielema wanted players at almost every position to bulk up and it made this slower. Morris, however, understands the level of speed needed to win in this conference. For that reason, I think we'll see Whaley take a step forward this season along with others
Amazing kids from high school performed until they spend a year with our ex coaching staff.  Bet that is reversed with CCM.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

NotSoFastMyFriend

He tends to shuffle his feet through the hole and gets tripped up a lot before he hits the second level. He also lacks elite lateral quickness and has zero ability to improvise when the play breaks down. He is never going to make people whiff in space. He is a powerful 1-cut runner who can cause trouble once he gets a lane and so far he has had trouble doing so.

DeltaBoy

For Me 6 + wins and a bowl game win would be great for a 1st year with the schedule we got.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Pudgepork

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 11, 2017, 01:24:05 pm
He tends to shuffle his feet through the hole and gets tripped up a lot before he hits the second level. He also lacks elite lateral quickness and has zero ability to improvise when the play breaks down. He is never going to make people whiff in space. He is a powerful 1-cut runner who can cause trouble once he gets a lane and so far he has had trouble doing so.

I agree and with the offensive line woes, this issue might be cleared up quickly by the new staff

zebradynasty

Whaley will be fine once he loses some weight! If he trains like track sprinter this spring...he'll show us what everyone expected coming out of high school. This kid is no flop!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 11, 2017, 01:58:37 pm
Whaley will be fine once he loses some weight! If he trains like track sprinter this spring...he'll show us what everyone expected coming out of high school. This kid is no flop!

He still no Shabazz!

zebradynasty

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 11, 2017, 02:39:55 pm
He still no Shabazz!

No but we knew that coming in. Whaley isn't near as explosive as Shabazz but that doesn't mean he is not a good RB.

ricehog43

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 11, 2017, 06:46:32 am
Biggest problem with whaley was Herb. He looked bulked up and sluggish this year.
I totally agree. Look at AC in Baltimore. He looks and is so much more powerful and lean.
Herb bulks everyone up and then all the ankles and tendons start to tear up.
U of A Alum 2011.

Snizzzo

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 11, 2017, 01:24:05 pm

Outstanding assessment. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 11, 2017, 06:43:39 am

That is the result of "Body by Herb" and it's epic failings in building an SEC team
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: blu on December 11, 2017, 06:28:48 am
Devwah still have plenty of time to display his talents.

Maybe we should give Duvall Wally some more PT.
This is my non-signature signature.

Tejano Jawg

I still think Whaley has something...but showed up a time when our o-line was at its worst under Bielema. Next year, we'll see. I know Rawleigh led the SEC in rushing the year before, and I thought that line was pretty dysfunctional at times. This year, there were so many blocks not made at the second level. Defenses were always able to keep us contained.

This topic is a big one—at its most basic level, do we have the players who can win 6 or 7 games next year?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork