Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Morris starts Hicks

Started by BeaverHog, October 30, 2019, 11:13:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

IMO, the only player that can save Chad's job at this point is Kenneth Jefferson.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

I_Called_That_Play_Brotha

I'm not a Chadite (Chad and Luddite? I like it!) and firmly buy one of two things. Either KJ is so not ready he's unplayable under any circumstance or CCM is sending Hicks out there as the guy who will play for his coaching job at Arkansas.

With our record, you only play for the present if your future is unknown.

OkieBack

Quote from: SpaHog1986 on October 31, 2019, 09:35:52 am
This is the problem! I don't think he knows who that guy is.  Definition of insanity anyone?

I think starting Hicks is a conservative call that has backfired all year.  I say of our running QB's take the one with the best pass completion% and play him.  If we do not play a QB who can run then we aren't doing anything different than we have done all through the Morris era.  A running QB must get significant playing time on Saturday.

Does that mean we run no matter what?  No.  Whomever we start has to be somewhat of a threat passing the ball to keep the Defense honest.  But make no mistake a pocket QB at Arkansas is a sitting duck.  We need mobility.  That's what everyone else we've played this year has done.   

And for gosh sakes...MOVE THE POCKET.  Let the QB move left or right.  If a pass is there then complete it.  If the pass is not there...let our running QB take off and use his own natural athletic ability.  Move the chains.  Get into the dang end zone!

NotSoFastMyFriend

Regardless of the starter the program will continue to burn as long as Chad is in charge of anything.

razorjon

I can't believe Chad said he is going to start Hicks.  ...what in God's name.  Is he afraid he will look the fool if JSJ handily helps us win, and everyone starts questioning Chad's sanity and inability to spot the best QB?  ...and that it will hurt his next job?
"Starve the studs." — Chad Morris

Hog The Bounty Hunter

I won't actually even be surprised if he does start Hicks. If he does though I'm confident we won't win the game

razorjon

Quote from: Hog The Bounty Hunter on November 02, 2019, 01:10:55 am
I won't actually even be surprised if he does start Hicks. If he does though I'm confident we won't win the game

He already said he is starting Hicks.

Hog The Bounty Hunter

Well good. Won't have to watch the game. Gonna be a beat down

Justifiable Hogicide

onebadrubi

Quote from: Piggie on October 31, 2019, 09:35:58 am
Sometimes you don't know how good a QB is until the lights are on. Remember Matt Jones against Ole Miss? If Nutt wouldn't had pulled Zak Clark that game, we would have lost in regulation, much less winning in overtime with Jones. That was the first time Jones saw the field, and it turned our season around. KJ has never seen the field. At this point, put him out there and see what happens.

The worst he can do is throw 5 picks.   Oh wait

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on October 31, 2019, 12:31:21 pm
IMO, the only player that can save Chad's job at this point is Kenneth Jefferson.

Even if he comes in and lights it up, you have to seriously question Morris's coaching ability or talent judgement. 

razorjon

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 02, 2019, 06:29:40 am
Even if he comes in and lights it up, you have to seriously question Morris's coaching ability or talent judgement. 

Especially if Jones or KJ come in and do well—  you have to ask why they are just coming in on Week 10.

cardinalhawg

Since being at Arkansas, Morris seems to always go the conservative route except when trying really desperate stuff such as weird moment fake punts and such.   It seems he jumped the shark the moment he didn't go for it on 4th down and short against Colorado State last year with big Cole Kelley at the helm.  Today could be a moment of playing for the future and developing towards that and giving the fans an inkling of hope, but it instead seems like another safe fall back option.  I guess Morris feels he has to play it safe either for his job or because the Razorbacks are still technically bowl eligible if they win out, but it seems like his instincts baffle instead of excite fans.

ifghog

Clint Stoerner said CM would be crazy to start anyone other than Hicks...I feel Clint knows what hes talking about.

ifghog

Quote from: razorjon on November 02, 2019, 06:34:26 am
Especially if Jones or KJ come in and do well—  you have to ask why they are just coming in on Week 10.
Again I want CCM  gone.but i completely understand what hes doing. Redshirting people is the smart thing to do....problem is if he does not win a couple more....he wont be the one to coach him

razorjon

Quote from: ifghog on November 02, 2019, 08:06:13 am
Clint Stoerner said CM would be crazy to start anyone other than Hicks...I feel Clint knows what hes talking about.

Nah, he doesn't.

pghawg1

On SEC channel Sat morning  he said Hicks was starting

tophawg19

you start the experienced player and bring in the freshmen in the 3rd or 4th series . let them get in the flow of the game to see what MSU defense is doing . although if we are winning or it is close he may choose to roll with hicks if he is playing well
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jgcat4

He said on SEC Now that he's staring Hicks but we'll see JSJ and KJ. He also said that MS ST has the SEC's leading rusher soooo...
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

BeaverHog

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 02, 2019, 09:44:53 am
He said on SEC Now that he's staring Hicks but we'll see JSJ and KJ. He also said that MS ST has the SEC's leading rusher soooo...

So we are playing 3 qbs for sure today. Sounds like this will go well.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 02, 2019, 09:37:54 am
you start the experienced player and bring in the freshmen in the 3rd or 4th series . let them get in the flow of the game to see what MSU defense is doing . although if we are winning or it is close he may choose to roll with hicks if he is playing well

Yes, bring in the backup once we are 3-4 scores down!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

tophawg19

if they scored 3 or 4 times by the 3rd series , it doesn't matter if you start  Tom Brady . Hicks plays the first part to take the pressure of starting off .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 02, 2019, 10:01:06 am
if they scored 3 or 4 times by the 3rd series , it doesn't matter if you start  Tom Brady . Hicks plays the first part to take the pressure of starting off .

I don't disagree, just illustrating that we have a stubborn ass for a coach.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Bacons Rebellion

We need to start the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win the game. An SEC win will help more for the future with recruits than a few reps for any quarterback. Doesn't matter who the coach is, he's going to have to have a 2020 recruiting class.

SMB Hogfan

If you don't have one starting QB. You don't have any QB's.
Fender Stratocaster
Icom 2200H w/ D-Star
M2 Mac Mini 🍎

Muleriderhog

Quote from: I_Called_That_Play_Brotha on October 31, 2019, 12:42:14 pm
I'm not a Chadite (Chad and Luddite? I like it!) and firmly buy one of two things. Either KJ is so not ready he's unplayable under any circumstance or CCM is sending Hicks out there as the guy who will play for his coaching job at Arkansas.

With our record, you only play for the present if your future is unknown.
I feel like KJ is more than likely ready, can't do worse than what we've seen but Morris is too stupid to see this and keeps sending out the guys that clearly are not the answer. Morris is just an idiot who doesn't know how to pick a QB.

Muleriderhog

He's wrong, Hicks doesn't move the offense and he is no threat downfield so they stack the line so we can't run either. Morris is an idiot and Clint is wrong.

Swestwill66

Seems like Clint was pushing for the Morris hire. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

rinds

Quote from: MissippHog on October 31, 2019, 12:48:28 am
Honestly, what do you expect him to do?  Everyone on here says winning 2 of the next 4 saves his job, so wouldn't you expect him to start the person he feels gives him the best chance to win?  Can't develop for next year if he's not going to be here.

Everyone on here doesn't know what they are talking about. It's called emotions. CCM isn't going anywhere this year, just doesn't make any sense to fire a coach in 2 years unless there is something no one has stated on this site. Do I believe the clock is ticking yes but they won't fire him.

jgphillips3

You will be able to tell the end is near if Hicks gets at least three drives with no touchdowns and without being replaced and comes back in for a fourth.  Maybe this will be the game that Hicks blows up and actually leads multiple touchdown drives but the odds aren't good.  If we stall in those first three drives and JSJ or KJ aren't seeing the field, it's over and it will be obvious.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 02, 2019, 10:33:04 am
You will be able to tell the end is near if Hicks gets at least three drives with no touchdowns and without being replaced and comes back in for a fourth.  Maybe this will be the game that Hicks blows up and actually leads multiple touchdown drives but the odds aren't good.  If we stall in those first three drives and JSJ or KJ aren't seeing the field, it's over and it will be obvious.

Never underestimate the GOBN!!!!

BeaverHog

Great job going with Hicks coach.

LumberBacks

He did start Hicks.  And he did burn it down.  Great call! 

HoggieStyle

Clint is one of the geniuses that tried to sell us the notion the Morris was a great coach. I won't be listening to anything Clint has to say.

Ex-Trumpet

I feel Clint swung and missed.