Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Tennessean Just Reported

Started by TNarch, December 06, 2017, 09:40:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNarch

That UT has extended an offer to Alabama DC Jeremy Pruitt.  He's been a DC since 2013 with a stint at FSU and Georgia before Alabama.

checkraiser88

I bet the protesters are out, coffee shops won't welcome him, something written on that big ugly rock out there already

NuttinItUp

How many coaches have rejected them so far?

Kinda getting on down the list at this point it seems...

WaltonCollege

Hmmm someone that knows the SEC...what a strange concept

TNarch

The Tennessean trying to put a positive spin on it, points out that 8 of 13 SEC coaches were coordinators or assistants immediately before taking their coaching jobs.

VegasHog

Hopefully Saban finally is unable to immediately replace or even upgrade an outgoing member of his staff. There was no drop-off between Kirby Smart and Pruitt but not sure he can keep that up forever.

go hogues

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 06, 2017, 09:41:59 pm
Hmmm someone that knows the SEC...what a strange concept

Talk about an underwhelming hire for them.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

checkraiser88

So now we are competing with Bama for a DC

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

ur

Looks like they didn't use the search firm that we did to vet coaches.

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Tigaman

Didn't Pruitt have some personal problems at FSU? I might be confusing him for someone else but I heard somewhere that he was sleeping with a cheerleader.

It should be noted that this was the only job his name has come up in. Chad Morris had at least come up in a few jobs.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Left FSU by mutual agreement for a female issue that is very much in the news today.  Look out Volunteers...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tigaman on December 06, 2017, 09:55:59 pm
Didn't Pruitt have some personal problems at FSU? I might be confusing him for someone else but I heard somewhere that he was sleeping with a cheerleader.

Yep

SooieGeneris

Pretty good chance that we and 'Bama wouldn't be looking at the same guy. The DC here will actually run the defense.

Whoever goes there, might be someone already on their staff, will have to deal with Saban micro-managing the defense.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

spiritof92

Quote from: llemmonds on December 06, 2017, 09:45:43 pm
Hopefully Saban finally is unable to immediately replace or even upgrade an outgoing member of his staff.

Bama DC

Uncommon

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 06, 2017, 09:41:15 pm
I bet the protesters are out, coffee shops won't welcome him, something written on that big ugly rock out there already
You forgot Clay Travis Periscope.

NuttinItUp

Will Pruitt leave before the playoffs? Kind of an odd time to leave.

Birminghog

Philip Seaton

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 06, 2017, 09:41:34 pm
How many coaches have rejected them so far?

Kinda getting on down the list at this point it seems...

Pruitt isn't down on the list. Wonder if Georgia fans were saying the same thing about Kirby Smart last season? Look, Pruitt gets the right offensive coordinator, and there are reports they have joined the fray for Hugh Freeze. Those two together? There? That's good hire.

imtad16

I'd be really nervous right now if I was a Tennessee fan. Pruitt has been on staffs at some very successful programs and under great coaches but man a guy that has never been a head coach at any level taking over a program that is a little messy and doesn't have a QB anywhere in sight. The thing I like a lot about Morris is that he has been a head coach at either the high school level or college level for 18 seasons. He has had to lead and manage programs for a long time. Jeremy Pruitt never once on any level and now he has quite a bit to sort it out for the first time.

Disclaimer: He could still be good. I'm just saying.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: imtad16 on December 06, 2017, 11:36:12 pm
I'd be really nervous right now if I was a Tennessee fan. Pruitt has been on staffs at some very successful programs and under great coaches but man a guy that has never been a head coach at any level taking over a program that is a little messy and doesn't have a QB anywhere in sight. The thing I like a lot about Morris is that he has been a head coach at either the high school level or college level for 18 seasons. He has had to lead and manage programs for a long time. Jeremy Pruitt never once on any level and now he has to sort it all out for the first time.

Disclaimer: He could still be good. I'm just saying.

Being the DC at Georgia, Florida St, and Bama under the coaches he's worked for...

I'd say he's probably got a pretty good idea.

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 06, 2017, 11:34:43 pm
Pruitt isn't down on the list.

I just meant a lot of coaches had turned them down.

As of about a week ago this was the list:

Greg Schiano (didn't turn them down, but the fans threw a hissy and ran him off)
Jon Gruden
Dave Doeren
Lane Kiffin
Dan Mullen
David Cutcliffe
Mike Gundy
Matt Campbell
Jim Bob Cooter
Jeff Brohm

https://nypost.com/2017/11/30/tennessees-coaching-search-is-getting-worse-by-the-minute/
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-running-list-of-everyone-who-has-turned-the-tennessee-head-coaching-job

There are probably a few more in the last week that have turned down backchannel advances. It just got so comical there for awhile on everyone that was saying no.

I am glad they got their man now. Hopefully he can succeed there. (except when playing the Hogs of course)

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

imtad16

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on December 06, 2017, 11:38:20 pm
Being the DC at Georgia, Florida St, and Bama under the coaches he’s worked for...

I’d say he’s probably got a pretty good idea.

You're probably right and I will also say Phillip Fulmer probably has a pretty decent nose for coaches having been a really good one.

SCTiger

Clay Travis tweeted that Tennessee, among other SEC schools, is pursuing Hugh Freeze and it would be a helluva hire.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 06, 2017, 11:34:43 pm
Pruitt isn't down on the list. Wonder if Georgia fans were saying the same thing about Kirby Smart last season? Look, Pruitt gets the right offensive coordinator, and there are reports they have joined the fray for Hugh Freeze. Those two together? There? That's good hire.
Obviously you are right, that is why everyone has offered him first...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jackflash

their is a risk hiring Hugh Freeze. I would not be willing to take

Next1_04

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 06, 2017, 11:28:17 pm

No, they said he will coach bama through the playoffs.

PorkRinds

Quote from: SCTiger on December 07, 2017, 03:31:47 am
Clay Travis tweeted that Tennessee, among other SEC schools, is pursuing Hugh Freeze and it would be a helluva hire.

He can't be a head coach can he?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Next1_04 on December 07, 2017, 07:48:30 am
No, they said he will coach bama through the playoffs.

I wonder if that will hurt Tennessee's recruiting for the early signing period? (December 20)

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2017, 08:42:23 am
He can't be a head coach can he?

He can coach immediately as an assistant, and he's in the running for OC at Tennessee.  He can be a HC next year. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 07, 2017, 09:11:06 am
He can coach immediately as an assistant, and he's in the running for OC at Tennessee.  He can be a HC next year.

Right. So why would tenner be persuing him? They gonna force him on whoever they hire as HC? Doesn't make sense.

Hoggish1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 06, 2017, 11:28:17 pm

2nd year that hs happened at Bama.  Last year they weren't better off when Kiffin left.  This year, it probably won't matter because that side of the ball is Nick's baby...

hobhog

Hope some of our trolls head to their boards.....

Großer Kriegschwein

Given their issue with Schiano, they've painted themselves into a corner on hiring Freeze. That wouldn't go over too well.
This is my non-signature signature.

HawgHawk

Actually Freeze can be a head coach next year,  but he would be suspended for the first 2 games of the season. He can coach immediately as an assistant.