Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris Buyout details

Started by RME, December 06, 2017, 02:54:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 03:33:49 pm
We were about to throw 50mil strong at Gus... We got Morris for more than half that price. Should we be paying him more than SMU is paying him? Would you have paid Norvell that much?

I mean we didn't get our number 1 guy. We got number 2 and are paying him as the number 2.
Gus has won the SEC, played in a NC, and was in another SECCG this year. Morris isn't worth half of what Gus is worth. I would have paid Norvell 3.5 because he's won 10 games and doesn't have a losing record. I wouldn't have paid him $4 million which is partly why he signed his extension because Memphis was willing to pay him that much.

RME

Quote from: Uncommon on December 06, 2017, 03:35:06 pm
What?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic/making fun of the guys who say it's the same deal and an extension is imminent, haha.

Uncommon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 03:37:15 pm
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic, haha.
Oh.  Dammit.  Lol.  My bad.  I didn't catch it.

hawgwash

Quote from: azhog10 on December 06, 2017, 03:27:18 pm
Of course I will "wait it out" but isn't this what a message board is for? You had to convince yourself he would succeed. I just looked at performance, records, and the staff he's bringing to lead me down this path.

I'm also more disappointed with the PTB for half assing this coaching search. They wanted Morris as soon as Jerry said he wanted Morris and as soon as Gus said no, BUT Morris is your guy. Then we pay the man 3.5 million plus incentives to coach at Arkansas while having a losing record in three seasons at SMU. None of it makes sense. If we would have got this guy for 2-2.5million then I'd get it. If BV came with him, then I'd get it. But to give him this amount of money to bring his SMU staff with him......yeah no chance i'm gonna be happy about that. We should have kept Long and Bret and saved the money.

And if you know anything about me.....very rarely do I fail.
Well you're full of fail in this thread.

NuttinbutMediocre

I may regret this, but I have faith in HY to not do a stupid extension based on his statements in the press conference.

Uncle Remus

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 06, 2017, 03:11:02 pm
Fellas, contracts are what they are now.  If UA doesn't pony up (so to speak!) with buyouts somebody else will.  It's what the market is right now, for better or worse.

^ This.

Just like with any other business...the competitive marketplace determines the compensation package and terms.  When the times and landscape change...so do pay scales and buyout clauses.  How many doctors 30 years ago thought they would be paid 7-10k for delivering a baby?  Things change.  Besides that, detractors do realize that literally about 5 lines of the contract are included in that info.  Just sayin...

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 03:35:00 pm
#4 we got our #4

That's not confirmed. We offered Gus, We offered Morris. You have some inside source that says we offered anyone else?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 03:36:41 pm
he did have 2 up years.  remember BA's miracle run of wins?  AA in his first year led the SEC in passing.

once AA's senior WR's graduated, he never really synced with the new guys.

No, those weren't up years, they were marginal years. Bielema's best season was 8-5 and declined from there. You are putting lipstick on a pig.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 03:42:01 pm
You are putting lipstick on a pig.
and what are people doing with Morris?  7-5 in the AAC is his best year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

azhog10

Quote from: hawgwash on December 06, 2017, 03:38:28 pm
Well you're full of fail in this thread.
That's your opinion.....guess we will see in a few years. Hopefully what you say is true.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on December 06, 2017, 03:34:50 pm
Someone called up the grammar nazi. Kudos to you. Piss away and apparently I hurt someones feelings.

HF#1 and Glassofswine already put you in a body bag, so I'll spare you.

Have fun stewing in misery.

steveaustin69

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on December 06, 2017, 03:43:53 pm
I could be wrong but think that the BOT and Chancellor had this much more under control than previously thought. Yes we had to be patient for the Gus Bus to leave the terminal but once it did, I think we acted in a timely, effective, and thoughtful manner.

Very well said

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 03:43:33 pm
and what are people doing with Morris?  7-5 in the AAC is his best year.

At a program that has Vandy type academic requirements, is coming back from June Jones leaving it in the crapper, and ask ANYONE, they will tell you Chad is leaving it in a much better place.

I am not sure what Morris has to pay if he chooses to leave us for another job.  Its my feeling he should sign the same thing we sign but in reverse order, defined as as the Universities buyout goes down a certain amount each year, his should go up that same amount each year.  He is receiving that huge buyout in years 1 and 2 to protect his investment in us by leaving a steady job with good compensation to come to us.  Sooooo, we deserve to be compensated well if after he gets 3 years out or so, he can leave on the cheap and there is nothing we can do about it.  He deserves to be protected early and we deserve to be protected late.  Bet that didn't happen.  I have found in negotiations that it is good to use the oppositions excuses to your advantage meaning that when Mr. Agent demands his client is covered with the big buyout, fine, then demand one going the other way and ask Mr. Agent does he want to be totally unfair or is what is good for the goose, also good for the gander.

As for Morris, he wouldn't be my first choice but I believe he will far exceed Brets success.  Morris operates a scheme that has a bit of a chance of actually working in the SEC.  He also appears to be willing to actually work for his money which means he could have fire in his belly and refuse to be denied.  That alone could be worth 3 to 5 wins annually and if he turns down his music long enough to find out a football has 2 ends, maybe he can stir up a couple of more wins and get us in a bowl his first year.  I believe our talent level is there for 6 wins first year and I expect at least that. 

Uncommon

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on December 06, 2017, 03:45:21 pm
Poor guy couldn't tell an incomplete pass from a 65 yard catch and run(Childs vs Florida) through those coke bottle bifocals but he was sure entertaining
Damn right.  Another great Uncle Verne moment.

Uncle Remus

Quote from: azhog10 on December 06, 2017, 03:27:18 pm
Of course I will "wait it out" but isn't this what a message board is for? You had to convince yourself he would succeed. I just looked at performance, records, and the staff he's bringing to lead me down this path.

I'm also more disappointed with the PTB for half assing this coaching search. They wanted Morris as soon as Jerry said he wanted Morris and as soon as Gus said no, BUT Morris is your guy. Then we pay the man 3.5 million plus incentives to coach at Arkansas while having a losing record in three seasons at SMU. None of it makes sense. If we would have got this guy for 2-2.5million then I'd get it. If BV came with him, then I'd get it. But to give him this amount of money to bring his SMU staff with him......yeah no chance i'm gonna be happy about that. We should have kept Long and Bret and saved the money.

And if you know anything about me.....very rarely do I fail.

The Jerry argument keeps coming up. 

1.  Please, someone, give this argument some substance other than rumor milling.
2.  If this is true and that he was influential in pushing for Morris...as much as I hate saying this, he probably deserves someone listening to his opinion at least somewhat.  Why you ask...how much of the money owed to Jeff Long and BB do you think he might be cutting a check for to get us out of this pickle?
3.  He's Jerruh

Redhogs

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 06, 2017, 03:00:07 pm
The key here is to not up it if in year two he manages to win two conference games.
THIS
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 03:41:05 pm
That's not confirmed. We offered Gus, We offered Morris. You have some inside source that says we offered anyone else?
its pretty obvious novell didnt pass the back ground check, and venables turned us down and kiffin was too much of a loose cannon.  So #4 at best, maybe #5
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

cityhog

He'll win 7 games and the buyout will go up to $20M. Hide and watch.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 04:15:21 pm
its pretty obvious novell didnt pass the back ground check, and venables turned us down and kiffin was too much of a loose cannon.  So #4 at best, maybe #5

I think it was Gus then it was everyone else. Gus and Morris appear to be the only ones that got offers. The order in which they may have done background checks is of no consequence.

Hogwild

Quote from: drizzle on December 06, 2017, 03:07:23 pm
Here's my thing: can we stop structuring these to decrease with calendar years?  If you're getting fired, you're getting fired end of November/beginning of December.  At worst can't we set these for November 30 / December 1 rollovers? 

(Almost typed November 31, that wouldn't work well at all.)

Great post, living in Louisiana when LSU lost to Troy and all of the media were printing his buyout info it was dated as  of 11/30. Made me think why didn't Long do that with CBB's deal, surprised we did it again.

popcornhog

WPS

Mick Hogger

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 03:36:41 pm
he did have 2 up years.  remember BA's miracle run of wins?  AA in his first year led the SEC in passing.

once AA's senior WR's graduated, he never really synced with the new guys.

Hard to do that when you're lying flat on your back.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Mick Hogger

Well, he's got 4 years to get ready for Texas to come to Fayettteville. If any of the old money is still around, that'll be his measuring stick that year for them.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.