Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 04, 2024, 06:06:10 am

Norvell- off field issues?

Started by twistitup, December 06, 2017, 05:03:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

It's been tossed around w NO details....what are the issues in question? All I could find is rumors started by Ole Miss about gambling...surprise Ole Miss spreading rumors!

What's the real scoop...or just a smear campaign?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Kneph13

Quote from: twistitup on December 06, 2017, 05:03:47 am
It's been tossed around w NO details....what are the issues in question? All I could find is rumors started by Ole Miss about gambling...surprise Ole Miss spreading rumors!

The only ones who know are the PTB and Norvell.
There is no Political Correctness in war

LJHOG

worry over off the field issues is what got us in this predicament in the first place.  why the PTB can't get that through their thick heads I don't know.  if we don't come to grips with is soon, we might as well move to the Sun Belt.

twistitup

It doesn't smell right...nasty politics of coaching I guess. It's almost an attempted blackball move by someone or some group.

Junkyard Hog

December 06, 2017, 05:52:33 am #4 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:20:55 am by Junkyard Hog
I mean.....AR, OM, and TN were open.

He shoulda been a no brainer for one of those......

Something was definitely up.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on December 06, 2017, 05:52:33 am
I mean.....AR, OM, and TN was open.

😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

farmhawg

Yes, we were right to drop him. He is the one I wanted but we dodged a problem.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jkstock04

I could easily see anyone turning down Ole Miss right now. Especially someone starting their career.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LawyerHog50

Whatever baggage he had did not stop Tulsa, ASU or Memphis from hiring him. Why did it stop us?

The bottom line is he had a big ego and the PTB could not swallow their pride and let him in.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

farmhawg

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 06, 2017, 06:54:54 am
Whatever baggage he had did not stop Tulsa, ASU or Memphis from hiring him. Why did it stop us?

The bottom line is he had a big ego and the PTB could not swallow their pride and let him in.
You are wrong.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

threeNout

I don't think we need details at this point, if it gets better (hopefully), it'll disappear. If it gets worse, then we probably won't be able to avoid hearing about it.

I hope whatever it is he gets it under control.

901king

Here's the deal about open coaching jobs- only 1 guy can get the job.  Norvell was offered by Ole Miss & he said no.  Then a "red flag" was "found" during their vetting.  Two days later UT was looking and word was he would not be sexy to the Voltard fan base but was a "clean" hire.  Just because there are a bunch of P5 jobs open, doesn't mean Norvell will take just any one.  Norvell ain't leaving Memphis for middle or bottom of the pack P5 schools.  It will have to be the "right" job for him to leave.  Fuente was approached by more than 10 P5 schools before he took VT.   Sometimes it's worth the wait.

The Vol, Ole Miss, & Hog boards continue to denigrate Norvell as simply "playing with Fuente's players." This is simply untrue.  7 offensive and 8 defensive starters are either freshmen, sophomores, or transfers from the last 2 years.  Norvell's 3 recruiting classes are all either #1 or # 2 in the AAC (all ahead of SMU by the way) and rates higher than any of Fuente's.  Fuente's star Senior RB has been supplanted by 2 stud sophomore RBs. 

Chad Morris' teams are 0-3 vs Memphis (51-7, 59-10, 66-45).  Congrats, you just hired the 4th or 5th best coach in the AAC that cant put recruit Memphis despite being in Texas and can't seem to outscore Memphis' "vaunted" Defense.

Glad Mike is staying, just hate seeing misinformation being spread.

hogcards

Shouldn't matter with Long gone.  Sign him and get him in here today.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Nosboar Accubond

Timing was a big key in all of those scenarios.....

WestMemphisHog

Mike Norvell is one of the most humble guys you'll meet. There isn't an ego problem. Norvell wouldn't have taken OM because of the sanctions and he didn't see it as much of an upgrade. Same with Tennessee. He for sure would've taken Arkansas. I live near Memphis and work with a ton of Memphis Boosters. They love the guy, more so then Fuente who left for Virginia Tech but was kind of a introvert. Norvell is out in the community and the kids on that team absolutely love him.

WestMemphisHog

farmhawg

Quote from: WestMemphisHog on December 06, 2017, 07:43:12 am
Mike Norvell is one of the most humble guys you'll meet. There isn't an ego problem. Norvell wouldn't have taken OM because of the sanctions and he didn't see it as much of an upgrade. Same with Tennessee. He for sure would've taken Arkansas. I live near Memphis and work with a ton of Memphis Boosters. They love the guy, more so then Fuente who left for Virginia Tech but was kind of a introvert. Norvell is out in the community and the kids on that team absolutely love him.
He couldn't pass the vetting. Not hard to understand but he made mistakes and that cost him. Time to move on.
From theflyinghog

farmhawg

Quote from: 901king on December 06, 2017, 07:34:47 am
Here's the deal about open coaching jobs- only 1 guy can get the job.  Norvell was offered by Ole Miss & he said no.  Then a "red flag" was "found" during their vetting.  Two days later UT was looking and word was he would not be sexy to the Voltard fan base but was a "clean" hire.  Just because there are a bunch of P5 jobs open, doesn't mean Norvell will take just any one.  Norvell ain't leaving Memphis for middle or bottom of the pack P5 schools.  It will have to be the "right" job for him to leave.  Fuente was approached by more than 10 P5 schools before he took VT.   Sometimes it's worth the wait.

The Vol, Ole Miss, & Hog boards continue to denigrate Norvell as simply "playing with Fuente's players." This is simply untrue.  7 offensive and 8 defensive starters are either freshmen, sophomores, or transfers from the last 2 years.  Norvell's 3 recruiting classes are all either #1 or # 2 in the AAC (all ahead of SMU by the way) and rates higher than any of Fuente's.  Fuente's star Senior RB has been supplanted by 2 stud sophomore RBs. 

Chad Morris' teams are 0-3 vs Memphis (51-7, 59-10, 66-45).  Congrats, you just hired the 4th or 5th best coach in the AAC that cant put recruit Memphis despite being in Texas and can't seem to outscore Memphis' "vaunted" Defense.

Glad Mike is staying, just hate seeing misinformation being spread.
One hit wonder. Troll on.
From theflyinghog

SquidBilly

There are a lot of great things about the internet, but one of the worst things is being able to start rumors you never have to prove.  Just roll it out there and let the masses run with it.  If it gets repeated enough people will start to believe it as fact.

Jonbo

I put something out there, then thought better of it.
Jonbo

WestMemphisHog

Troll on? The guy was giving you facts.

SquidBilly

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2017, 07:45:18 am
He couldn't pass the vetting. Not hard to understand but he made mistakes and that cost him. Time to move on.

He passed the vetting enough to get an interview.  Unless our admin is wasting time interviewing candidates they know they won't hire.

Tylerhog

Razorstubble

This is just simply what Arkansas does.  Makes stupid decisions.  The Morris/Norvell situation is just like the Bielema/Malzahn situation of 5 years ago.  It takes a vision, a slight bit of risk taking and a hands off approach to hire an "up and comer".  Although, I'd argue that the Gus of 5 years ago and Norvell of today are PROVEN enough by all but the Arkansas powers that be.

It's uncanny watching Arkansas repeat it's mistake of 5 years ago.  Gus SHOULD have been hired 5 years ago. In all likelihood Norvell SHOULD have been hired today.  This is just what we do....blow it. 

Time will tell with Morris.  I'll say this: Bielema was a fraud from day 1 and he was NEVER going to be successful here. Morris isn't in the same category as Bielema and stands a chance of being better than Bielema.  However, Morris is no Petrino or no Malzahn.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

hoggusamoungus

PorkRinds

So what was it? We owe him nothing, so let's lay it all out there. No more "it's bad but I won't post it" crap. Say it or shut up about it. No one knows who you are, so there's zero risk in saying what you know. Too many people pretend to be in the know. Lay it out there if you really are.

The Boar War

Memphis fans will find out soon.  If what I heard is true and it came out in vetting then it will be made public.  Too many hiring committee members are being asked questions about why he was passed over.  They're not going to take too much heat and it will come out.  I'm willing to bet his new contract has a few clauses in it that will make it easier for Memphis to save face.  Supposedly it isn't gambling.

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: The Boar War on December 06, 2017, 08:21:19 am
Memphis fans will find out soon.  If what I heard is true and it came out in vetting then it will be made public.  Too many hiring committee members are being asked questions about why he was passed over.  They're not going to take too much heat and it will come out.  I'm willing to bet his new contract has a few clauses in it that will make it easier for Memphis to save face.  Supposedly it isn't gambling.

Then what is it??

DeltaBoy

I heard he had too much fun in Vegas and that what got him !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

depressed_fan

Tennessee message board was reporting he's a gambler. I'd rather have Morris anyway. Norvell wouldn't have beat any one here.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

rickm1976

Quote from: depressed_fan on December 06, 2017, 08:58:26 am
Tennessee message board was reporting he's a gambler. I'd rather have Morris anyway. Norvell wouldn't have beat any one here.

I wouldn't make much of Tenn passing on him.  Since Fulmer took over, he is going to go more old school and go after someone that more closely fits his criteria.  Doesn't necessarily mean there weren't some off the field issues - just sayin'.

majp51

Given how crazy this coaching carousel season has been, something is up. I mean UF, UM, TENN, MSU, ARK, and A&M all had openings and that is just int eh SEC. Memphis coaches with his track record end up getting picked up fairly quickly.

Now here is the thing, by something being up, doesn't mean that the gambling rumors or anything directly negative. Norvell could be happy in Memphis and have a specific job in mind (and Arkansas wasn't it)

But there is some baggage that is a red flag to employers, or he has very specific demands no one is willing to meet yet, or for some reason Memphis is his dream job..

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Razorstubble on December 06, 2017, 07:59:53 am
This is just simply what Arkansas does.  Makes stupid decisions.  The Morris/Norvell situation is just like the Bielema/Malzahn situation of 5 years ago.  It takes a vision, a slight bit of risk taking and a hands off approach to hire an "up and comer".  Although, I'd argue that the Gus of 5 years ago and Norvell of today are PROVEN enough by all but the Arkansas powers that be.

It's uncanny watching Arkansas repeat it's mistake of 5 years ago.  Gus SHOULD have been hired 5 years ago. In all likelihood Norvell SHOULD have been hired today.  This is just what we do....blow it. 

Time will tell with Morris.  I'll say this: Bielema was a fraud from day 1 and he was NEVER going to be successful here. Morris isn't in the same category as Bielema and stands a chance of being better than Bielema.  However, Morris is no Petrino or no Malzahn.
perfect post. nailed, as did @901king.

norvell > Gus > Morris > bert
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

twistitup

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2017, 06:55:37 am
You are wrong.

Please expand since you have vast knowledge on this subject....what was it farmhawg?

TexasRazorback

I mean.....AR, OM, and TN were open.

He is not ready. Had he been, one of thee schools with an opening would of hired him. Just because someone who doesnt know how to coach football thinks a HC of 2 years winning with another coaches players is ready for the sec doesnt mean he is. Hes only 36 give him time to rise to the top or bust. Morris is our Guy and Im excited about razorback football again

NaturalStateReb

Totally a smear campaign by the dastardly Ole Miss Rebel Black Bear Landsharks and their weather machine!  They probably also have Elvis locked up next to Walt Disney's frozen head.

Every major coaching gig passes on Norvell, but there's clearly some kind of insidious, tin foil hat plot.  If it was all just message board stuff, why did all of these ADs and search firms get fooled?  How could they have been so totally stupid?  What a bunch of fools!

Or, the simpler answer, there's actually something to it.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

PigInTheHole

reading between the lines maybe someone Favred their snapchat

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

JONAS

I know a guy who is a Sports talk show host in Memphis.  I will not mention his name.  We talked this morning.  He said that there has to be some truth to the rumors to have Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State not offer him the job.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 06, 2017, 06:53:28 am
I could easily see anyone turning down Ole Miss right now. Especially someone starting their career.

Ole Miss hired Luke as insurance to keep players from transferring.  The players like Luke, and if he doesn't work out, you can move on cheaply in 2 or 3 years.

Willie Taggart definitely turned them down, though.  Considering he ended up at Florida State, pretty hard to blame him.  lol
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

twistitup

Quote from: TexasRazorback on December 06, 2017, 10:54:24 am
He is not ready. Had he been, one of thee schools with an opening would of hired him. Just because someone who doesnt know how to coach football thinks a HC of 2 years winning with another coaches players is ready for the sec doesnt mean he is. Hes only 36 give him time to rise to the top or bust. Morris is our Guy and Im excited about razorback football again

But instead of saying 'he not ready'...people claim there are major off the field issues - but these issues haven't been brought up until the last week?

Something doesn't smell right - I'm down w CM being our coach, but I don't like to see people's careers ruined over rumors.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: twistitup on December 06, 2017, 10:59:40 am
But instead of saying 'he not ready'...people claim there are major off the field issues - but these issues haven't been brought up until the last week?

Something doesn't smell right - I'm down w CM being our coach, but I don't like to see people's careers ruined over rumors.

Check your PM

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

snoblind

Quote from: twistitup on December 06, 2017, 10:59:40 am

So why do you keep insisting someone tell the rumor on a board Norvell's wife or her parents may very well read?

azhog10

He couldn't pass the vetting because others believed rumors and there was no fact behind them. People out here loved Norvell. He's respected everywhere he's been and one of the few coaches I know where a fanbase literally loves the guy. Plenty of SMU folks I know are happy to see Morris go. Haven't met a single Tiger fan to say that about Norvell.

He did a fantastic job at Memphis and even if he had issues back in the day, he's shown it's in the past. Love that we think we can cast stones at a guy for issues in his past. Would love for those doing the vetting to be vetted themselves.......

hogfansince79

Well hell... I'll ask the obvious question then...   Did he take a dong pic and post it, or did he hit someone upside the head with it?  Or did he do both?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

pigture perfect

I've heard a rumor, don't know if it's the same one or not, but it was no better or worse than Petrino's deal. I tend to believe it to be false. And I hate false rumors.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

twistitup

i think he turned Ole Miss down and is now paying the price...

WestMemphisHog

He turned Ole Miss down because of sanctions and not much of an upgrade. He's not paying the price....He's going to get paid at Memphis ...Continue to win at Memphis and probably par lay for a better job then Arkansas, TN or Ole Miss