Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mickelson...63...Ryder Cup...any questions?

Started by EastexHawg, September 03, 2018, 12:50:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

I think we can dispense with the "Furyk shouldn't pick Mickelson" stuff.  Dare I say...

"He's hot!"

EastexHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 03, 2018, 04:52:58 pm
Still plenty of questions with respect to Phil....one good round to end a season does not hide all the blemishes this year.

The pressure is now on Furyk to do the right thing.

Let me guess...are you the one who said he should pick Kuchar, who was so outstanding this year that he finished around 80th in FedEx Cup points?

Mickelson was 10th in Ryder Cup points, I think 8th in FedEx Cup points, and won a WGC event this year.

The picks are going to be Mickelson, Woods, DeChambeauu, and Finau.  Chisel them in stone.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 03, 2018, 05:56:02 pm
Let me guess...are you the one who said he should pick Kuchar, who was so outstanding this year that he finished around 80th in FedEx Cup points?

Mickelson was 10th in Ryder Cup points, I think 8th in FedEx Cup points, and won a WGC event this year.

The picks are going to be Mickelson, Woods, DeChambeauu, and Finau.  Chisel them in stone.
I think both Woods and Mickelson should be left off the team. These two are like two old doe's who can no longer procreate yet eat the food that the younger more virile deer could be eating. Put Woods and Mickelson out to the "has been" Ryder Cup Pastures and put Xander Schauffele and Finau or Kisner on the team. Time the afore mentoined two old bulls be retired.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

EastexHawg

Retire the old men when the young men are better.  Kisner hasn't earned a spot on the team, and since Schauffele knew he was probably playing for a spot after his T2 at the British Open he has gone 68, T35, Cut, T49.

Kisner hasn't made any more compelling a case.  Going back to Wells Fargo he has put up Cut, Cut, T52, T74, Cut, 55, T2, Cut, T39, T12, T73, T24.

If you're a younger guy who wants to make the Ryder Cup team either qualify on points or force the captain to pick you by playing clutch late in the year.  If you wilt under the spotlight of having Furyk watch you in regular tour events why should anyone expect you to hold up to the pressure of playing Rose, McIlroy, and the European team on their home turf?

EastexHawg

I agree and have said that Finau should be on the team.  This isn't going to be a hard decision no matter how much you were hoping Mickelson wouldn't make it.  I think you realized that when he shot 67-63 the last two days when the Ryder Cup pressure was on.  Like the guy or dislike him, but coming through under pressure is why one guy has 43 PGA wins and five majors and others who have a lot of talent...don't.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 04, 2018, 09:05:20 pm
Well, its done now. 
I've said previously how I feel about this - the US had better win.
And Mickelson had better play like he did against Garcia -  in every match he plays.

Yes, we only win if Mickelson wins every match he plays, the other guys scores don't count.

kingofdequeen

EastexHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 04, 2018, 09:05:20 pm
Well, its done now. 
I've said previously how I feel about this - the US had better win.
And Mickelson had better play like he did against Garcia -  in every match he plays.

As opposed to every other time they have lost on European soil since 1993.  It will all be Mickelson's fault despite the fact that Tiger was just enrolling at Stanford and Lanny Wadkins halved his singles match with Sam Torrance the last time the U.S. won over there.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 05, 2018, 09:00:43 am
Your failed attempt at analysis and/or humor noted, the point here is that Mickelson is as risky a pick as has been made in U.S. Ryder Cup history in quite some time.  There is every indication Mickelson's skills are not at the level needed for Ryder Cup play - they certainly are not where they were two years ago. 

This pick is hoping that an aging veteran can pull the glory together one last time - great if it works, but the odds are against it. 

We shall see.

Well make up your dang mind!  Is it the riskiest in history or the riskiest in quite some time?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 05, 2018, 09:00:43 am
Your failed attempt at analysis and/or humor noted, the point here is that Mickelson is as risky a pick as has been made in U.S. Ryder Cup history in quite some time.  There is every indication Mickelson's skills are not at the level needed for Ryder Cup play - they certainly are not where they were two years ago. 

This pick is hoping that an aging veteran can pull the glory together one last time - great if it works, but the odds are against it. 

We shall see. 

The point is you know about as much about golf as I do soccer, stick to moderating your soccer board on FF.

Top 10

http://www.espn.com/golf/rankings/_/page/ryderstandings

kingofdequeen

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cosmodrum

I'd definitely take Mickelson in Ryder Cup formats but what do I and Jim Furyk know
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 05, 2018, 01:08:13 pm
You have yet to make a point in your existence here, or any any forum in any board anywhere.  Honest discussion is a foreign concept to you.
Enjoy yourself.   

And you have failed to make an intelligent one, I pointed out he was Top 10, I guess that's too deep for you.

EastexHawg

The problem with saying "I'm not going to pick Mickelson" is that you have to take someone who has been better this year.  Given that Tiger and DeChambeau are on the team and we all agree that Finau will be the next choice, who will that be?

You disregard Phil's win in a WGC event because you say he hasn't played as well since, but at the same time he has  been top 15 in the first two playoff events.  Where have Kisner and Schauffele finished? 

In other words, you only want to count what happened after March but before late late August.  A win in a WGC event doesn't count.  Playing better recently doesn't count.  Finishing higher in Ryder Cup points doesn't count, and being higher in FedEx Cup points doesn't count, either.

That's quite a set of qualifications that you have somehow come up with. 

kingofdequeen

You can't leave a healthy Phil at the house any more than you can leave a healthy Tiger.  Argument hard to make anyway.

Jackrabbit Hog

I wish they'd both just fade off into bolivian.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 06, 2018, 07:53:09 am
I wish they'd both just fade off into bolivian.
Dustin Johnson tried that once. Or twice
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 05, 2018, 10:05:00 pm
Nice presentation of a stat that once you apply thought to it withers away - which is your typical MO though.  Mickelson's play since the WGC in March has been pedestrian at best - anyone who understands golf can see that.  Even the victory in March displayed a version of Phil that was more unpredictable than ever in terms of where his next shot might go. 

At least the Euros chose Garcia so hopefully he is the 2018 version of Danny Willett.

Not really, the stat shows he played well in the two year period in which points were earned, just as the others. He's experienced in Ryder Cup play and won't be bothered by the crowds. It's the captain's job to have a make up of a team with the best chance to win, Phil gives them that.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: golf2day on September 06, 2018, 08:20:51 am
Dustin Johnson tried that once. Or twice

Matt Jones breaking it down in Hick's 4runner behind stir calls it experimenting.

Jackrabbit Hog

kingofdequeen

in all fairness who hasn't done a toot in that parking lot?

majestic

Woods looking like a good pick right now. Phil, not so much.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

RazorPiggie

EastexHawg

The worst case scenario for Finau would be if Schauffele wins.

EastexHawg

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 06, 2018, 05:46:49 pm
But...there are three rounds left to play.
all that means is that the NBC Golf "B" team of broadcasters had a full day of fully turgid wankers and when Koch jumped the fence and bought a fully loaded bottle of Jergen's Lotion a superior day was had by all by the NBC Golf Team. I hear the champagne was flowing everywhere when Eldrick posted that 29 going out.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 06, 2018, 10:56:55 pm
all that means is that the NBC Golf "B" team of broadcasters had a full day of fully turgid wankers and when Koch jumped the fence and bought a fully loaded bottle of Jergen's Lotion a superior day was had by all by the NBC Golf Team. I hear the champagne was flowing everywhere when Eldrick posted that 29 going out.

As a sarcastic post, this was better than most.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2018, 06:55:10 am
As a sarcastic post, this was better than most.

but notice he went right to the gay stuff.   

Jackrabbit Hog

Jackrabbit Hog

...and in CURRENT form news, our man Philly Mick finishes his second round at the BMW in DFL. 

Schouffle making a late run at that Feenow spot.  If Zander wins, what do you do if you're Furyk?

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2018, 01:04:04 pm
...and in CURRENT form news, our man Philly Mick finishes his second round at the BMW in DFL. 

Schouffle making a late run at that Feenow spot.  If Zander wins, what do you do if you're Furyk?

Take the biggest bribe?

Hawgndaaz

still like finau

he makes a buncha birdies

plus we already have one super boring dude, see koepka

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 07, 2018, 02:03:59 pm
still like finau

he makes a buncha birdies

plus we already have one super boring dude, see koepka

Plus one goofy, boring vice captain.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2018, 02:07:27 pm

Yeah I just have this fantasy of watching DJ and Finau against two tiny dad bod euro guys

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2018, 01:37:18 pm
And you have failed to make an intelligent one, I pointed out he was Top 10, I guess that's too deep for you.

Not gonna lie, 10 is pretty deep.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

cosmodrum

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2018, 02:07:27 pm

I will not have you insult our beloved Sketchers ad man.
Go away, batin'

EastexHawg

Mickelson is playing by himself, first out tomorrow morning.  I wonder what the record is for the fastest round.  A buddy and I can play in two and a half hours, but that's in a cart. 

I say he will shoot 67 or lower.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 07, 2018, 08:53:16 am
but notice he went right to the gay stuff.
still can't get credit...there was not a single gay thing mentioned....now if I had mentioned the term "pivot man" in a circle jerk of sports anchors/commentators, you would have had a point...when spanking your own hank becomes gay, one supposes I'll just spontaneously combust into your definition of a flamer....and it is not I who has the word Queen in my screen name

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2018, 02:46:37 am
still can't get credit...there was not a single gay thing mentioned....now if I had mentioned the term "pivot man" in a circle jerk of sports anchors/commentators, you would have had a point...when spanking your own hank becomes gay, one supposes I'll just spontaneously combust into your definition of a flamer....and it is not I who has the word Queen in my screen name

king, queen.  He's got all bases covered.  Bet he even uses the bathroom at Target.

EastexHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 08, 2018, 09:02:02 am
That's the issue though - Mickelson is not playing well since March and that includes lately.  Yes, he did drop a 63 last week but good rounds have been rare since March.

Part of the objection is based on the recent history of changes that have been made to the qualification system to (as best possible) ensure the team is comprised of the players playing their best as near the Ryder Cup as possible.  As documented, Mickelson does NOT fit that description but since Furyk has already made that choice he is now going to have to live with a problem he has created with that pick especially if Schauffele wins this weekend (which would bring him back into consideration). 

Had Furyk picked Finau instead of Mickelson, Furyk could have sent a message to Phil saying its time to see your best stuff now.  Instead, Mickelson is back to his pedestrian level of play he's had since March.  But now, the team is stuck with him so here's hoping he can find his A game in one of those dancing approved shirts.  In the end, it was (and is) Mickelson who looks like he has played the committee to further his own agenda first (and not to the benefit of the U.S. team).  Pretty much acting in the manner he (Mickelson) accused Tom Watson of a few years ago. 

Good grief.  The team is "stuck" with him?  Have you conducted a poll to see how many of them feel that way?

And...Tom Watson was the captain.  Mickelson is a player. How can you compare their roles in the process?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 08, 2018, 10:24:51 am
Good grief.  The team is "stuck" with him?  Have you conducted a poll to see how many of them feel that way?

And...Tom Watson was the captain.  Mickelson is a player. How can you compare their roles in the process?

I think the comparison fiveof250 is trying to make is the influence Mickelson wields in his position on the "task force."  Lots of people surmised back when the task force was created that Tiger and Phil would be the real decision makers for the foreseeable future.  Lo and behold, there seems to be some truth to that - although I'm not saying that Phil strong-armed his way onto this team.  On the contrary, I think his place in the points standings justifies his inclusion as a captain's pick.

Phil's an extremely strong personality, which can be great on a team like RC, but it can also rub a lot of people the wrong way.  I guess hindsight will be beneficial in this instance - if Phil plays well at the RC, Furyk's pick will be lauded.  If Phil lays an egg, Captain Crooked Nose will be second guessed for leaving off either Finau or Schauffele. 

Someday Phil will be captain - probably in the next two or three RC's.  I think there's a strong possibility he'll crash and burn in that role, much like Faldo did at Valhalla.

Iwastherein1969

Hefty should have excused himself from playing. He has rheumatoid arthritis and I get the feeling he needs his script of ENBREL.

EastexHawg

What did the rest of the Americans who got their asses handed to them today need to take?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 29, 2018, 12:18:59 am
What did the rest of the Americans who got their asses handed to them today need to take?

Golf lessons would be a nice start.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 29, 2018, 12:18:59 am
I think they already took it all.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Iwastherein1969

kingofdequeen