Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to move on from Bret Bielema

Started by PorkRinds, November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 25, 2017, 08:17:56 am
Well if they loved him so much , why didn't they win more games for him?

Hard when you arent developed enough or put in the right positions to win by the staff.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boarslab

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:24:57 pm
Again, I think he deserved to be fired. There's been lots of chatter recently about him having personal issues, about players being upset about how they were treated by him, and him only playing "his guys". Players who have been part of that speculation have spoken out about him being a good coach and a good man. I think they feel like he deserved more than being fired as he walked off the field. But I think it's important for us to remember how our players feel about the man as we move forward. Let the past be the past and let his record on the field stand for itself.
Players feel a sense of loyalty to a coach that puts in the time to recruit them.  He believed in each player's ability enough to give them a scholarship at a major D1 school.  It was probably not the best way to cut him loose, but there's really no good way to do it in the first place and he, the players, and pretty much the rest of the nation knew he was done a few weeks ago.  When you are making the millions of dollars he was you are paid to win, which he failed to do obviously.  The sad truth at this level in the game is win or be replaced.  The next guy will be required to win or he will meet the same fate--maybe not the same method of firing, but still the same result.  Maybe he will land at a school that is better fit for him--it won't be an SEC team though more than likely.

BallHog1

Quote from: hogz11 on November 24, 2017, 11:50:54 pm
Deserved better how? I guess give him the 2018 season? I'm starting to wonder if Bielema has these kids brainwashed. Him being fired as he walked off the field has already been debunked. Bielema has given nothing but excuses for his piss poor coaching and thinks he left this program in a better state. Makes me sick....

And I'll state this forever........Bielema played favorites. It's been talked about over and over and over. I've listed the players and positions over and over. He flat out does it to the point that Stevie Wonder could see it. I've never questioned a coach doing this before. Not Nutt, Petrino, or anyone. But Bielema did it here and this season was the most blatant.
You've listed the players have you?
Well hell, if you've done that then there's no doubt. It's known far and wide that you're the greatest college football coach that never actually coached.

Get over yourself.

elksnort

BallHog1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 25, 2017, 12:40:10 am
If you don't think this program is better than what he took over you a. Are clueless b. Have an agenda driven hatred, or c. Not very bright.  This has nothing to do with him being fired, i got on the bus weeks ago but our program is solid and a good coach can be successful quickly based on what he built
This
Nobody  likes losing but it's part of life. There's a right way to handle it and move forward. Berating the guy personally and crying like a spoiled tee ball team isn't it. Some of these folks need to grow up like they think they already have but haven't.

Temprees

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 25, 2017, 07:07:51 am
Half the posters around here have been chirping all season about how the players had quit or how they didn't like bielema. Obviously you were wrong and THAT is part of the op's point. But its done now and bielema seemed to go out classy with nothing but good words about arkansas. Ya'll should move on now. Go direct your misery somewhere else.
Never draw broad conclusions from too small of a sample. 5 players speaking favorably doesn't prove the point that the team (120 on the roster) was for him. 

HotlantaHog

He won 27.5 percent of his SEC games in five years. Has there ever been another coach in the SEC who in five years has done less? Obviously not at Arkansas. He earned $20 million and a $6 million buyout.

That is more than $2 million for every SEC victory.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Temprees on November 25, 2017, 09:35:56 am
Never draw broad conclusions from too small of a sample. 5 players speaking favorably doesn't prove the point that the team (120 on the roster) was for him.

It's not five players. Twitter was blowing up last night.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BrianG on November 25, 2017, 09:44:59 am
I have always heard "don't speak ill of the dead".  That kind of works here.  To hog fans he is dead to us.  Well I disagree with that old saying.  If a guy is a good guy alive he is good after he died ...same if he is a louse.  Bert was a louse.  Throw players under the bus publicly and not taking responsibility for the product he put on the field. He was a loser....and still a loser this morning.

Don't look in the mirror....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

forrest city joe

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 25, 2017, 09:49:06 am
I don't care how many players it was.coach B has failed,and had to go. they could have stopped this from happening if they had won more than 11 sec games in 5 years. let me be clear with the players. losing and going 4 and 8,at Arkansas is not acceptable.PERIOD.Arkansas was to nice to him,TPTB let this go on for 5 years. 2years to long in my opinion.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I'm assuming that all of you CBB haters are at the top of you respective fields. Mistake free and all. I am confident that none of you water walkers would say zero negative things to the mans face. Hypocrisy runs deep on Hogville.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on November 25, 2017, 10:13:44 am
I'm assuming that all of you CBB haters are at the top of you respective fields. Mistake free and all. I am confident that none of you water walkers would say zero negative things to the mans face. Hypocrisy runs deep on Hogville.

They're not water walkers..................they're bottom feeders.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2017, 10:19:57 am
They're not water walkers..................they're bottom feeders.

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on November 25, 2017, 10:13:44 am

He just couldn't win the games. It is what it is.

People have different opinions on why. Hell, DJ Williams said that the coaches were too laid back. Practices were too laid back. I suppose DJ doesn't know what he's talking about.

hawgball40

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 25, 2017, 10:35:58 am

People have different opinions on why. Hell, DJ Williams said that the coaches were too laid back. Practices were too laid back. I suppose DJ doesn't know what he's talking about.
He must not have a clue. I mean after all, he only played under the arguably the best coach in school history.

jkstock04

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 25, 2017, 10:35:58 am

He's a mere bottom feeder lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 24, 2017, 11:20:14 pm
What do they believe he deserved? To coach 2018 and see what happens? I don't twitter but if true I do find it unfortunate players embrace the current culture that is Razorback football. We won 4 games this year. Bielemas record here is the worst we have had since WW2.

It's almost scary to me that our current culture is literally that of embracing everything the past 6 years as something awesome and positive. Twilight Zone type stuff. I'm looking forward to the change of culture we will undoubtedly will see.

Today's kids are raised in a world where you spare the discipline and slather love and affection all over them; Bielema's culture was to let the players have this "laid back" attitude and not get pissed off about their losses.  I hope we get someone like a Saban that lets the players know who's running the show.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 25, 2017, 10:45:35 am

Yeah, Mackey Award and Disney Spirit Award winner. Played in the NFL.

Screams bottom feeder to e'rbody.

Lol.

Mr Jade

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 25, 2017, 12:20:52 am
They are facts.  And, I will most likely leave soon enough.  Arkansas is proving that the only thing that will matter is wins no matter how they are achieved and I do not find turning the University of Arkansas into Auburn, Ole Miss, or Baylor appealing in the least.  I might as well support the Sooners.

I don't hate Bret, but wanted him fired. That disproves your whole logic chain.

I own a small business. It's hard, but at the end of the day I support my family, my employees, and their families. I want to win, make money, and do it legally. I also want Arkansas to win. I want them to win legally and without ethical qualms. Does that make me a bad person?

If anyone here is fine with a 4-8 team and hates the Bielema fire, you need to find another team. Arkansas is in the SEC. We want to win. We want to compete. Go follow Hendrix football if you don't care about that.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Meatman

November 25, 2017, 12:14:02 pm #118 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 01:02:47 pm by Meatman
Quote from: jkstock04 on November 25, 2017, 10:45:35 am
I must assume that you jest with a little sarcasm injected BUT.....just in case....
If you are referring to Mr. DJ Williams as a bottom feeder, (I suspect you are suggesting that some do, hence the lol) you, or they, might want to do little bit of a background check about such nonsense.
How much time, effort and money have you donated to help women and children?
DJ is many things. Bottom feeder is NOT one of them. In fact he is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met.
I am not alone with that opinion. See Disney Spirit Award.
Awarded to the single most inspirational NCAA college football player.
Bottom Feeder? I think NOT! 

hawgball40

Quote from: Meatman on November 25, 2017, 12:14:02 pm
If you are referring to Mr. DJ Williams, you might want to do little bit of a background check before you blurt such nonsense.
How much time, effort and money have you donated to help women and children?
DJ is many things. Bottom feeder is NOT one of them. In fact he is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met.
I am not alone with that opinion. See Disney Spirit Award.
Awarded to the single most inspirational NCAA college football player.
Bottom Feeder? I think NOT!

GG, he was being facetious!

Razorpigg

Quote from: hogz11 on November 25, 2017, 12:02:09 am
I used to think Bielema was a classy guy. Then when things turned bad, I started listening to what he said. No ownership whatsoever to the losses, but he sure rolled out the excuses and threw players under the bus. Every week we got to hear about what a good week of practice guys had. He even tried to save his job by blaming his putrid coaching on injuries.

Bielema deflects all blame and tried today to sell us what a great job he did. This program is back in the dirt and in even a worse place than 2012-2013. He can take his buyout money and choke on it.

You lost all credibility when you said this program is in worse shape than 12-13. All you spout is drivel and its obvious. No substance just your classless opinion. He has been terminated, so your classless barfing of the mouth smear campaign is quite childish to say the least.

Tony Perkis

My $.02

Bielema is a very smart guy. Has known this was coming for a while. His best bet was to get all the players on his side. Makes us look bad for firing and gets people feeling sorry for him. I don't.

Meatman

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 25, 2017, 10:49:04 am
Yeah, Mackey Award and Disney Spirit Award winner. Played in the NFL.

Screams bottom feeder to e'rbody.

Lol.

When I used that term I wasn't talking about DJ. How you or anyone could think that is crazy.

CDBHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 25, 2017, 09:49:06 am

The only other option was two or three weeks ago. Or today after most of out players went home for Thanksgiving.

I'd say it happened at the best time. Even Bret thinks so.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm
Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don't seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he's a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That's not a guess, that's straight from their own statements. They're not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it's inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.

When you create a culture of losing and whining and giving up this is what you get. No one involved w/ that football team wants to accept any responsibility or be held accountable for their failures. 

Of course they're gonna cry and whine.  Get on down the road w/ that. We've got a chance now to re-establish what Arkansas football really is, ain't no time for sissypants no more.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Shoat

Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don't seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he's a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That's not a guess, that's straight from their own statements. They're not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it's inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.

In my 30 years experience in the workplace, we've loved bad bosses too.  They were still bad bosses and got fired.  Being loved by the players isn't important in this equation. Burt had to go!!!!!

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

LJHOG

Vantage 8 dude

Not saying a thing about what a nice and caring guy Bret's was as a HC. I think hands down there was not a particular problem with him as a person, except for some of his weight problem and sloppiness; however, when it came down to the true reason he was paid so well as a HC-and that was to win-he obviously didn't get the job done. I do think that the majority of kids are better off for his having been their coach, if for nothing else the emphasis Bret put on their education.

Melancholy_Pigg

They liked Bielema because he was soft and compliant.  Sure.  They loved him.  In the short term.

They will look back in several years and be resentful.  What could I have done?  What could I have been if I would have been pushed harder? 

But yes short term they are happy with a softy and are going to defend him

I would advise that no one pay it much attention.  I recall when OU fired John Blake several OU players talked about how much they loved him, would rather play for Blake and lose than play for someone else and win.

Players always say this stuff - not surprising and not of any consequence.

carolinahogger

Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better.

They knew him and liked him on a personal level, so they show support for him.  He didn't get the job done as Head Coach so he gets the axe.  No surprises here.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: ThisGuy on November 24, 2017, 11:18:48 pm
Man some of you guys can be dicks
Most people here are 75%phallus and 25% jackass.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Melancholy_Pigg

All this "such a great guy" talk is tiresome.  Maybe he wasn't a "great guy."  Maybe he was a rather disinterested coach in over his head wanting to ride the train as long as he could to collect his money.

The guy took a lot of money off us, gang, and at the end of 5 years we are where?   Dead last in our division.  And I never heard anything about him putting in long hours (at work).

I'll be honest - dangerously honest here - I don't think he is half the "great guy" a lot of us think.  And I think his twisting his firing into a situation of him being a "victim" is evidence of his true mindset and shows a lack of character.

hotdog hog

Quote from: snoblind on November 24, 2017, 11:43:57 pm
No.  He was fired "AFTER" he walked off the field.  They did it the way it should have been done.  Made it official so he could address the team before they all took off for the holiday and coaches got on planes in the morning.  Gave him a choice of doing the press conference or not.
Yeah but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  ESPiN is horrible.

Wild Bill Hog

alohawg

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on November 25, 2017, 04:35:15 pm
All this "such a great guy" talk is tiresome.  Maybe he wasn't a "great guy."  Maybe he was a rather disinterested coach in over his head wanting to ride the train as long as he could to collect his money.

The guy took a lot of money off us, gang, and at the end of 5 years we are where?   Dead last in our division.  And I never heard anything about him putting in long hours (at work).

I'll be honest - dangerously honest here - I don't think he is half the "great guy" a lot of us think.  And I think his twisting his firing into a situation of him being a "victim" is evidence of his true mindset and shows a lack of character.

Uncommon price for failure from the nicest of guys. #gulliblearkies
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

BigSexyHog

There is no doubt CBB is a good person and cares for the players.  Heck 95% of ex players like their coaches.  But the fact of the matter is the dude didn't win enough games.    In saying that it seems the players don't care about winning but having a good friend as a coach
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Martygit

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on November 25, 2017, 04:35:15 pm

I think your 3rd post shows a lack of character
RIP OTR, REV

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: alohawg on November 25, 2017, 04:42:49 pm
Uncommon price for failure from the nicest of guys. #gulliblearkies

I don't know what to make of it.  I have been reading this message board for years and only created an account last nite when I saw the whining about how he was fired (which was not accurate, btw).

I could not take it any more.  This man comes in and drains your bank account and has everyone laughing at you and says he can fix your car and takes it apart and can't put it back together.  You are in a bad spot and rumor is he's on the town every night.

But you just continually sit back and talk about what a great guy he is?   Good Lord.

News flash:   be glad he is finally gone, and hope this program never pays as much as we did for as little as we got again.  And owe to the next bunch of people who buy in to the Bielema shtick.

I think his "nice guy" routine is just that - an act.  I am sure Charles Ponzi had people saying he was a great guy as well.   

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on November 25, 2017, 04:55:46 pm

I think your name likely shows a poor career choice concerning professional degrees.

I would also say your name is very applicable to a coach paid 20 million dollars who leaves his program last in their division who then lies about the circumstances of his firing for a little "woe is me" sympathy from his (broke) fan base.

Kind of says something in and of itself, ya know?

hawgball40

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on November 25, 2017, 04:55:46 pm
which post specifically? i just read through his post history and everything he said showed proper restraint imo. No mention of certain "rumors" to be found. what exactly about his post exhibits this "lack of character" you speak of.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 25, 2017, 05:25:36 pm
which post specifically? i just read through his post history and everything he said showed proper restraint imo. No mention of certain "rumors" to be found. what exactly about his post exhibits this "lack of character" you speak of.

A lack of agreement is my guess.  Can't argue with the post so he goes on a personal attack against the poster.  Quite childish actually.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:40:20 pm

TJ Hammonds thinks he deserved better.

So.....exactly what does TJ believe he deserved ??   Several million more $$$ than he's already getting.... to take with him ??  For him to keep coaching with a record of 11 SEC wins in 5 years??  Give him a raise to 5 million $$$ per year ??  He was evidently dismissed with class, & accepted with class.  Truth is, Razorback nation deserves a better on the field product, than the last 5 years.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

SooieGeneris

Players almost always prefer "the devil they know to the one they don't." And I'm not comparing BB to Lucifer, it's a figure of speech for any of you who are professionally offended.

Most players in 2007 wanted Nutt to stay, then campaigned for Herring after the firing of Nutt.

They wanted Johnell too. Does the name Jorge Santayana ring a bell? He is the man who gave the world the quote about those who don't remember history having a tendency to repeat it.

I'm sure most do think highly of BB as a man and he's the only head coach on the collegiate level most have known.

They will learn as they go forward in life that things aren't always going to go the way we think they should, that most of us don't get to choose our boss and other life lessons.

They signed with the UA, not a coach, it's not UBB on the LOI or letterhead and if you don't produce, you're gone, player or coach. I wonder if the assistants who BB pushed out or "helped find another job" at some lesser school are tweeting support?

What about BBs players at Wisconsin who felt blindsided or betrayed by his departure? I'm sure some felt that way.

How about the players who maybe felt misled in the recruiting process or produce on the field when they get their chance only to appear on the back of a milk carton later?

Name ONE school in the SEC other than MAYBE Vandy, where an 11-29 SEC record
over 5 years will get you anything but fired. 1-10 in the last calendar year vs Power 5s.

At many of them, BB would have been gone LAST year.

And I know of players who have played for BB that are less than enamored, one in particular who has a younger brother on the team.

I take all this with a pillar of salt. There are players on every team who think they were "misled" or should be playing more or that a guy is in front of them because his Dad is a booster or because of the location of his HS.

Then there are players who circle the wagons and support the coach no matter what. Their support tells me that he was doing a lot right off the field.

On the field? 11-29 speaks for itself. If the score isn't important, why spend millions on score boards? I don't support "win at all costs."

However: No one can justify those players sacrificing so much of their time and their bodies for an exercise in futility in which there is no reward for winning and no penalty for losing.

If you're going to take the risk of caring about the outcome either as a coach, player or fan you must be prepared to deal with the result either way, but it helps a lot knowing that everything within the rules was done to, as Herman Edwards said: "PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

BoarnSupremacy

the downside

I agree.  That's the part of this that's the downside

PigPusher

Pork, not doubt what you have written here is true. However, the primary reason any football coach would be here is to win football games. All the things you attribute to him is secondary in importance. It is about winning. Just saying.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

snoblind

Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don’t seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he’s a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That’s not a guess, that’s straight from their own statements. They’re not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it’s inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.

How many kids on the squad?  120?  120 when he started and been here 5 years, so what does that work out to?  200-350?  How many twitter accounts have you looked at?  20%, 30%, 50%?

EastArkHog 47

In 2012 Tyler Wilson and other players wanted Long to bring back Snuffy Smith because they liked him, how did that work out for us?