Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New softball commit

Started by psycHOGlogist, November 13, 2017, 09:14:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Someone I had mentioned in an earlier thread -- Ally Sockey -- has committed to the Hogs. Currently ranked the #29 player in the 2021 class by FloSoftball. Here's their analysis (ignore the uncommitted part):

T-29--Ally Sockey SS... Tulsa Elite (uncommitted)
Sockey is one of the top defensive players at any position in this class and is one of the top 1-2 shortstops in the nation. She has great hands and lateral movement and one coach said she "plays shortstop like a baseball player and plays way beyond her age." Last fall almost every D1 coach that watched her compete wanted Sockey to come to his or her college camp and many said they wanted to recruit her after watching Sockey play a few games. Tulsa Elite organization head Jeff Filali says, "She may turn into the best defensive shortstop we've ever had." Sockey just attended an OnDeck Softball event last week where she continued to impress and, with her defensive tools and improving offensive abilities, she has major programs from the Big 12, SEC and Pac-12 after her now.

That's a pretty awesome sounding get.

Here's her announcement tweet:
https://twitter.com/ally_sockey/status/930228725844791297

flippinhogmana

Its really good to get a solid commit especially since its from the Tulsa area.  Its always been a good place for us to have a good presence recruiting.  We have a lot of hog fans here, and its a fairly decent drive (especially since 412 was built) to Fayettenam for the parents of the kids and for the kids themselves when they want to visit home.  Its almost as easy a recruit as OU and OSU have.  Thanks for the info Psych.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hawg1221

Huh? I'm confused. Her twitter announcement says she's staying home to represent her home state.

Sow’sEar

She lives in Greenwood, Arkansas.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Lulu Hog on November 14, 2017, 07:21:20 pm
She lives in Greenwood, Arkansas.

Yes, she's a Greenwood kid who plays for Tulsa Elite travel ball.

flippinhogmana

well obviously she confused me too!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Sow’sEar

This is an outstanding commitment for the razorbacks and coach Deifel.  However, this is why it's hard to follow Softball recruiting.  It'll be 5 years before Sockey plays at Arkansas.  She still has four years of high school and travel ball to play.

I also try to follow football recruiting, and it's much simpler.  A kid commits and the next year they're a freshman at your school.  But I understand that is just the way it is in Softball.  The schools want the commits early. 

LadybackBBFan

An outstanding player in softball is easier to determine at a young age - especially if they are athletic. 

hawg1221

How hard is it to keep these kids committed for 5 years? That's my question.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 15, 2017, 07:59:08 am
How hard is it to keep these kids committed for 5 years? That's my question.

Not as hard as you may think. In part because the process starts so early, and softball is not fully funded, the scholarship $$ available gets grabbed up early. If you start waffling on your decision later, you have to take into account that other schools that you might want to go to have no (or less) $$ available for you.

Absent a coaching change or scandal (see Auburn, which despite hiring a blue chip coach to replace Myers, has had a few kids decommit sort of late in the process -- but only a few), softball kids generally stick.

flippinhogmana

Deifel Brings Second Top-25 Class to Fayetteville
BY Zach Lawson
3 hours ago

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Courtney-Deifel-SB-2017-4808.jpg

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Featuring three top-200 recruits including a pair of top-50 additions, head coach Courtney Deifel and the University of Arkansas softball team has announced the program's 2018 signing class. Ranked as the No. 22 class by FloSoftball, the newest group of Razorbacks are Larissa Cesena, Taylor Greene, Maggie Hicks, Megan Robertson and Sam Torres.
"We are excited to present Razorback Softball's 2018 class," Deifel said of the newest Razorbacks. "These five student-athletes bring a great deal of speed, power, athleticism and versatility. They have all competed and won at a high level and will make an immediate impact as we continue to move this program forward."
This marks Arkansas' third recruiting class under Deifel, and its second consecutive to earn a top-25 ranking. Greene (No. 37) and Cesena (48) are the latest top-100 recruits to come to Fayetteville, joining future teammates Mary Haff, Caroline Hedgcock and Autumn Storms who were ranked in their respective classes. Last year's recruiting class was ranked 21st by FloSoftball.
2018 Arkansas Softball Schedule
Larissa Cesena
5-7 | OF | R/R
Riverside, Calif./Martin Luther King HS (Explosion)
About Cesena...
A standout performer for Martin Luther King High School and the Explosion travel ball team, Cesena is ranked No. 48 in the final FloSoftball Hot 100. Through the first three years of her prep career, she has helped the Wolves to three appearances in the CIF playoffs and earned team MVP honors after her junior season. With Explosion, Cesena was part of a top-eight finish at PGF Nationals in 2016. She also uses her speed as a member of the Wolves' track and field team where she owns two school records.
Larissa is the daughter of Eddie and Misti Cesena and has two younger brothers, Seth and Luke. Her aunt, Mia Cesena, played softball at Loyola Marymount (2006-09) and was a two-time all-conference selection. Cesena is planning to major in kinesiology at Arkansas.
Taylor Greene
5-2 | C | R/R
Milton, Ga./Cambridge HS (So Cal Athletics)
About Greene...
Greene checked in at No. 37 in the final FloSoftball Hot 100 rankings after a standout prep career at Cambridge High School where she is the all-time leader in home runs and runs batted in. Over the past four seasons, she helped the Bears to three region titles and the Georgia 6A state title in 2016. Greene was rewarded for her junior campaign by earning 6A State Player of the Year. In addition to number all-region and all-state selections, she was named the 2014 and 2015 Region Defensive Player of the Year.
Aside from her prep success, Greene was a JO Cup national champion in 2015 and 2016 with East Cobb Bullets 18 Gold. She plays travel ball with So Cal Athletics. Taylor is the daughter of Perry and Marjorie Greene and has two siblings, Lauren and Derek.
Maggie Hicks
5-5 | INF/OF | R/R
East End, Ark./Sheridan HS (Arkansas Athletics)
About Hicks...
During a standout junior season at Sheridan (Ark.) High School, Hicks was named the 2017 MaxPreps State Player of the Year after hitting .436 with 11 home runs and 24 RBIs and leading the Yellowjackets to their second-consecutive 6A state title. In the championship run, she was also selected as the MVP of the state tournament. Entering her senior season, Hicks carries a .477 career batting average and is a three-time all-conference and all-state performer.
Hicks plays travel ball for Arkansas Athletics. Maggie is the daughter of Byron and Kristi Hicks and has an older brother, Max. Both of her parents attended the University of Arkansas.
Megan Robertson
5-8 | RHP | R/R
Milton, Fla./Milton (Birmingham Thunderbolts)
About Robertson...
After collecting all-area accolades in each of her first three seasons at Milton High School, Robertson earned a spot on the All-State Second Team following a standout junior campaign. During the previous season, she was named the area Pitcher of the Year in 2016. As a freshman, she pitched Milton to the school's first-ever playoff victory. In three seasons, Robertson has helped the Panthers to two Sweet Sixteen state appearances, two district runner-up finishes and a district title
Megan is the daughter of David and Chrissy Robertson and has a younger brother, Dawson. She plays travel ball with the Birmingham Thunderbolts and helped her 16U team to a third-place finish at PGF Nationals in 2015.
Sam Torres
5-2 | OF | L/L
Temecula, Calif./Chaparral HS (Athletics Mercado – TO)
About Torres...
Torres, ranked as the No. 198 recruit in the country, enters her senior season as the two-time Offensive MVP for Chapparal High School. She has twice been named to the All-Southwestern League Second Team and earned top freshman accolades after hitting .494 with 39 hits in 29 games during the 2015 season. Through the first three seasons of her prep career, Torres carries a .483 batting average with 117 hits and a .557 slugging percentage.
With her Athletics Mercado travel team, she has a pair of top-20 PGF Nationals finishes including a seventh-place showing in 2017. Sam is the daughter of Federick and Maribeth Torres and has three siblings, Eric, Vince and Julianne. Torres plans to enroll in the Eleanor Mann School of Nursing at Arkansas.

psycHOGlogist

A bit late on this one, but Coach Deifel got another 2021 commitment recently, this one from Sadie Saul of TN Mojo.

Here is TN Mojo's tweet about it:
https://twitter.com/TnMojoFastpitch/status/935351533134327808

And here is an interesting blog post about Sadie - it sounds like she is a bit of a late bloomer and still on the upswing of her development (which is kind of weird to say about a 15 year-old kid). Not sure if she is a diamond in the rough or a bit of a reach by the staff, but it's hard to argue with wanting the grit and determination that this young woman has shown on your team!

http://www.thundersoftballfamily.com/news_article/show/487345-thank-god-for-sadie-saul

flippinhogmana

from reading those articles and a few others I was able to find Psych, it looks like she is a good hitter and more importantly a hard worker to constantly improve her skills.