Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 SEC Players and their NBA Draft Prospects

Started by jbcarol, April 18, 2017, 07:49:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Rivals/status/854077013958819840

Quote1. NBA TAKING WAIT-AND-SEE APPROACH ON 2017

Following the much-hyped class of 2016, NBA scouts expected that it would be tough for the class of 2o17 to match their predecessors. That being said, the NBA was hoping for a little more than they've seen out of 2017 over the past three weeks.

"It's not like it was last year obviously," one scout told Rivals.com. "This round of All-Star games hasn't been the best setting for a lot of these guys and there aren't as many no-brainers as we have seen in other classes."

However, one player did stand out the most to NBA scouts. The only player to receive votes in our polling of NBA scouts as the best overall prospect was 2017's No. 1 ranked player, Missouri-bound small forward Michael Porter Jr.

"Porter sometimes leaves you wanting a little more, but he's pretty clearly the best player in the class," said one Eastern Conference scout. "He has terrific size, he's athletic, he has great skill and he is the one guy that could give all of the 2016 kids a run for their money."

2. BAMBA, AYTON IMPRESS

After Porter Jr., NBA scouts seemed to be the most enamored with Rivals.com's No. 2 and No. 3 ranked players Mohamed Bamba and DeAndre Ayton. It was a pretty even split between the two with the Arizona-bound Ayton making a comeback and having the NBA guys warm up to him at the Jordan Brand Classic...

Those who like the undecided Bamba more point to his length and ability to be a game changer on the defensive end.

"His arms are so long that I wonder if it is even possible for him to shoot a normal jump shot but I don't really care," said one scout at the McDonald's All-American Game. "In our league we'll be drafting him to protect the rim and rebound. His length is a game-changer and he's also pretty coordinated. He looks like a kid that would be fun to work with."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/878096864507187202

SEC Players in 2018 NBA mock draft: DraftExpress

2. Michael Porter, Jr.  F  Mizzou

5. Robert Williams   PF  A&M

8. Collin Sexton      PG  Bama

18. Ham Diallo       SG   UK

20. Nick Richards   PF    UK

FWIW, NBA DraftdotNet also includes UK's Jarrad Vanderbilt (10) and Kevin Knox (14).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/878630876766130177

QuoteIf you enjoyed the presence of Mark Gottfried, Terrance Ferguson and Bruce Pearl on draft night, just wait. It's a good bet the 2018 NBA Draft will have an even greater Heart of Dixie flavor.

More than it's had in years.

A glance at a few crazy early mock drafts for 2018 shows as many as five players with state connections already on the radar...

Alabama freshman point guard phenom Collin Sexton is a favorite to be a one-and-done top-10 selection... DraftExpress.com lists him at No. 8. Sexton will be Alabama's first pick since Richard Hendrix went in the second round in 2008. If he goes in the first 30 picks, Sexton will be Alabama's first choice in the first round since Gerald Wallace in 2001. Sexton also has a shot to be Alabama's first top-10 pick since Antonio McDyess went No. 2 overall in 1995.

DraftExpress.com lists junior power forward Donta Hall as a second-round pick at No. 41.

Auburn also has not one but two players on its roster getting early mention as possible 2018 draftees. CBSsports.com predicts sophomore swingman Mustapha Heron as the No. 20 pick and sophomore center Austin Wiley as the No. 25 pick.

If either Heron or Wiley is drafted, he'll be the first Auburn player to hear his name called since point guard Jamison Brewer in 2001. If Heron or Wiley goes in the first round, he'll be the program's first first-rounder since center Mamadou N'diaye in 2000.

That also was the last time two Auburn players were selected in the same draft. Chris Porter went in the second round in 2000.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 13m13 minutes ago

Robert Williams here at Under Armour camp, but sitting out today with shin splints. One NBA guy told me he has him at No. 3 on early board.

jbcarol

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress

Michael Porter looked about as smooth and talented as you would expect. Making shots from all over the floor. Gets his own so easily. Stud.

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 43m43 minutes ago

Adam Zagoria Retweeted Jonathan Givony

Projected No. 1 pick in 2018, although he could be challenged by Marvin Bagley III if he reclasses.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 21h21 hours ago

My early Mock Draft:
1. Marvin Bagley
2. Michael Porter Jr.
3. DeAndre Ayton
4. Luke Doncic
5. Mo Bamba
6. Robert Williams
7. Miles Bridges

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman‏ @BrentZwerneman 4h4 hours ago

Texas A&M's Robert Williams sets sights on No. 1 selection in 2018 NBA Draft: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-s-Robert-Williams-sets-sights-on-No-1-12256687.php ... via @houstonchron

jbcarol

247Sports‏Verified account @247Sports

.@EvanDaniels has his 2018 NBA Draft Hot Board, hot off the presses https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Board-Top-20-prospects-for-the-2018-NBA-Draft-109796264 ...

No. 5 Michael Porter | Missouri | Small Forward

No. 7 Robert Williams | Texas A&M | Power Forward

No. 10 Collin Sexton | Alabama | Point Guard

No. 11 Kevin Knox | Kentucky | Small Forward

No. 13 Hamidou Diallo | Kentucky | Shooting Guard

No. 18 Mitchell Robinson | Sitting Out | Center

jbcarol

Kentucky basketball: Projecting which 2017-18 Wildcats will stay, which will enter NBA draft

QuoteI'd say Hamidou Diallo and Kevin Knox are the only near-locks to leave for the NBA after this season. They had the most buzz before the season and they've delivered so far. Nick Richards makes a lot of mock drafts, because he's super athletic at 7-foot with a 7-5 wingspan, but he doesn't look anything like a pro right now —

jbcarol

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels
4h4 hours ago

It's early in the season, but here are 5 college players that I think are improving their future Draft stock | Story on @247Sports: https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/NBA-Draft-2018-College-players-with-rising-stock-at-early-juncture-of-season-111461540 ...

QuoteJalen Hudson, Florida

Florida has been a hot topic early in the season with wins over top 20 ranked Gonzaga, Stanford and an impressive effort against Duke. Among the reasons the Gators look so good has been the play of 6-foot-6 wing Jalen Hudson. After sitting out last season due to a transfer from Virginia Tech, Hudson has emerged as one of the most productive and perhaps surprising players in the nation.

Through six games, Hudson is putting up 21.8 points and 4.7 rebounds per contest. The most staggering improvement lies in his shooting. In high school, Hudson was known as a non-shooter. His freshman year with the Hokies he shot 28.3-percent. Followed up with 34.6-percent his sophomore year. So far this season, he's made 19 of 40 attempts and is shooting 47.5-percent from three. He's also impressed from short and mid-range, going 6-for-12 from that area.

It's still too early to project Hudson in the draft, but he's certainly improved his stock as a prospect and after this electric start he's certainly one to track.

jbcarol

Rundown of Wildcats projected to be picked in the first round of the 2018 NBA Draft:

QuoteESPN (Jonathan Givony)

* Last updated Dec. 5, 2017

10. Kevin Knox
    20. Hamidou Diallo
    26. Nick Richards
    Quotable: The team who drafts Diallo could "groom him into a defensive stopper who can hopefully make shots consistently, an area in which he has been streaky historically."

CBS Sports (Reid Forgrave)

* Last updated Dec. 14, 2017

7. Kevin Knox
    15. Hamidou Diallo
    21. Jarred Vanderbilt
    Quotable: "Not much flash to his game, but Knox is all sorts of solid on both ends of the court ..."

Sports Illustrated (Jeremy Woo)

* Last updated Dec. 4, 2017

10. Kevin Knox
    19. Hamidou Diallo
    28. Nick Richards
    Quotable: "Predictably, Richards' play has been all over the place for Kentucky. His tools remain appealing..."

NBADraft.net

* Last updated Dec. 14, 2017

8. Kevin Knox
    19. Jarred Vanderbilt
    30. Hamidou Diallo
    No comment

jbcarol

18 NBA Mock Draft: Alabama's Collin Sexton finally jumps into top 5

QuoteWelcome to the top tier, Collin Sexton.

There was a conventional wisdom leading into this basketball season said there were five players who are currently playing at American colleges as well as overseas were worth tanking for. In some sort of order, these players were Arizona's DeAndre Ayton, Duke's Marvin Bagley, Missouri's Michael Porter Jr., Texas' Mo Bamba and the Slovenian star Luka Doncic, who is playing professionally for Real Madrid...

Alabama's Collin Sexton has been an absolute revelation in the first month of the season for Avery Johnson's team. Sexton is averaging 20.8 points, 3.5 assists and four rebounds. His most noteworthy game was a bizarre one, when he dropped 40 points on Minnesota the Saturday after Thanksgiving -- the final 19 points coming in the last 10 minutes of the game, when Alabama only had three players on the floor.

4. Porter, Jr.

5. Sexton

7, Knox, UK

10. Robert Wms III, A&M

15. Diallo

21. Vanderbilt, UK

26. Austin Wiley, AU  [sitting this one out]

jbcarol

Doug Gottlieb‏Verified account @GottliebShow

Someone explain the Hamidou Diallo draft stock to me? Lay-up line AA. No hoop IQ.

jbcarol

SEC Country Arkansas
‏ @SECCountryHogs

ESPN, Sports Illustrated have Daniel Gafford in top 20 in NBA draft, but will he leave?  #WPS http://sec.news/2nZvYiQ

jbcarol

March 13, 2018, 05:13:34 pm #15 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:05:17 am by jbcarol
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-ncaa-tournament-last-ride-shai-gilgeous-alexander-nba

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. — Enjoy Shai Gilgeous-Alexander for however long this NCAA Tournament run lasts, Kentucky fans, because when it's over his college career almost certainly is, too.

That wasn't really the plan, to join John Calipari's long list of one-and-dones, but the 19-year-old Canadian and his "old-man game" have simply been too good.

"Everyone is looking for that first-round guarantee and he has at least that now," said Mike Schmitz, NBA draft analyst for ESPN, after watching Gilgeous-Alexander in person for three days at the SEC Tournament. "It would surprise me if he's at Kentucky next year.

"It wouldn't completely shock me if he ends up being the best point guard to come out of this draft."

jbcarol

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

What Collin Sexton, John Petty said about possible NBA draft exits

Quote"Right now, I'm worried about my team and celebrating with my team because we had a great season," Sexton said. "Also, I got to finish school, and I'm trying to finish with a 4.0."

Coach Avery Johnson said he expects Sexton will be in the classroom Monday morning like any other week.

Sexton is one of a few Alabama players who could test the NBA draft this spring.

Fellow freshman John Petty was asked in the locker room if he was planning on coming back for his sophomore season.

"Yeah, most ... probably," said Petty, the Huntsville product who scored 10.2 points a game. "I'm going to have to talk to my family and talk to coach and decide what I'm going to do."

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
9h9 hours ago

Per @RyanYoungSEC from the UF locker room, Jalen Hudson was non-committal about whether or not he plans to return for his senior season.

jbcarol

Jonathan Givony
‏Verified account @DraftExpress
18h18 hours ago

Surprise? Word on the street is Daniel Gafford (#16 in the ESPN Top 100) is heavily considering going back to Arkansas next season. Nothing final yet, but seems to be heading in that direction. 2018 is loaded with big men, while 2019 looks very weak right now (at every position).

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN

Florida's Jalen Hudson will declare for the NBA draft without an agent, sources told ESPN.

jbcarol

Dan Dickau
‏ @dandickau21
7h7 hours ago

This is becoming somewhat comical seeing the amount of guys who are announcing they are entering NBA Draft yet "not signing with an agent". Guys seriously don't understand how hard it is to even be on a draft board.  Plenty of starters in power 5 leagues don't have a chance.

Gonzaga guard in the early '00's

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker
‏ @KyleTucker_SEC

Three Kentucky freshmen will meet with their families this weekend to make NBA decisions. We spoke to each of their fathers about where things stand going in:

Kevin Knox: https://sec.news/2IeX0dC

PJ Washington: https://sec.news/2pNJSFK

Jarred Vanderbilt:

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. — Kentucky freshman Jarred Vanderbilt will fly home to Houston next week to meet with his family about whether to roll the dice on the 2018 NBA Draft or return to school and prove he can stay healthy for an entire season and do more than rebound.

"We haven't decided yet," Vanderbilt's father Robert told SEC Country...

Vanderbilt, a 6-foot-9 former McDonald's All-American, missed the Wildcats' first 17 games with a left foot injury — he injured the same foot twice previously in high school — and sat out all six of UK's postseason games with a left ankle injury. In between, he played 14 games and averaged 5.9 points, 7.9 rebounds and 17 minutes off the bench.

He averaged 18.5 rebounds per 40 minutes and his rebound percentage (he grabbed an estimated 25.7 percent of available rebounds) would've led the nation had he played enough to qualify. But because of his injury history and a rough showing offensively at Kentucky (42.6 percent shooting), the guy who was once considered a potential lottery pick is now widely regarded as a fringe second-rounder.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jonathan Givony
‏Verified account @DraftExpress

First Team All-SEC junior Tyler Davis is declaring for the 2018 NBA draft, a source told ESPN. Davis will not hire an agent at this time. The 6-10 center averaged 14.9 points and 8.9 rebounds in 29 minutes per game for Texas A&M, who made the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

He's gone guys. He's gone.

jbcarol

jbcarol

PJ Washington will test the NBA draft waters - but will not hire an agent.

Quote"After meeting with Coach Cal [John Calipari] and talking through my situation, I am going to test the waters and see where I stand after my freshman year," Washington tweeted. "I want the fans to know that I love school, I love this program and I love Kentucky. I'm not in a hurry to make any type of decision but Coach believes I should evaluate where I am right now."

Washington is the first Kentucky player to make an NBA decision following the Wildcats' Sweet 16 loss to Kansas State. Washington recorded an 18-point, 15-rebound game against Kansas State, but he was just 8 of 20 from the free-throw line.

He averaged 10.8 points and 5.7 rebounds on the season.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Breaking: Auburn star Mustapha Heron will enter NBA Draft, hire agent

Quote"I have always dreamed of playing basketball at the highest level," Heron wrote in part. "I would like to thank my coaches teammates and all the Auburn fans and Auburn University for a wonderful two years. Playing on the Plains was an experience like no other and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

"Again I would like to thank everyone who supported me throughout this process and I will always be a Tiger!"

Heron averaged 16 points per game this season as a sophomore with the Tigers.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
2h2 hours ago

It still seems more likely that Collin Sexton will ultimately decide to enter the NBA draft, according to sources, but it hasn't been an easy decision for the All-American point guard https://trib.al/7sb9Dio

He's gone.

jbcarol

jbcarol

2018 NBA Mock Draft - SEC Country

Quote4. Porter, Jr.
9. Shai
11. Knox II
12. Sexton
13. Robert Williams
17. J. Porter

jbcarol

jbcarol

AL.com sports
26m26 minutes ago

BREAKING | Alabama star point guard Collin Sexton plans to enter the NBA draft https://trib.al/HdfaMwa

QuoteAlabama star point guard Collin Sexton plans to enter the NBA draft, sources told AL.com.

The expectation, per sources, is that Sexton will remain in the draft even if he doesn't immediately sign with an agent.

Alabama is holding a press conference on Friday, which is likely when Sexton will announce his decision.

Sexton averaged 19.2 points per game as a freshman last season and became the Crimson Tide's first All-American since Richard Hendrix in 2008.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Reed started at Auburn

Jeff Goodman
12h12 hours ago

Texas Southern junior big man Trayvon Reed will declare for the NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent. Averaged 9.7 points, 8.7 boards and 3.1 blocks per game.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Report: Texas A&M's Admon Gilder to enter NBA draft without agent

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein

Texas A&M's Admon Gilder will enter the 2018 NBA Draft, but won't hire an agent, per a source.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
2h2 hours ago

Last year we had Miles Bridges and Robert Williams as surprises to return to school. Not sure there will be any projected lottery picks who do it this year.

jbcarol

Knox I trolled UK fan base on the way out.

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Just when Kentucky fans started to hope he'd stay, Kevin Knox is off to the NBA

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. — This is why Kentucky basketball fans have hardened their hearts. This is why they refuse to believe any star player (or parent of a star player) who talks about being torn about their NBA draft decision.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
30m30 minutes ago

Auburn point guard Jared Harper is entering the NBA Draft, but won't hire an agent so as to maintain his eligibility if he chooses to return for his junior season https://trib.al/Fuu2W6J

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell
1h1 hour ago

Kentucky basketball: Nick Richards to return for sophomore season

jbcarol

jbcarol

AL.com sports

BREAKING | Auburn center Austin Wiley has declared for the NBA Draft https://trib.al/9U5YvGT

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein
7h7 hours ago

Nick Weatherspoon is returning to Mississippi State for his sophomore season, per his Twitter page. Initially intended to test NBA Draft waters.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
21h21 hours ago

Jeff Goodman Retweeted Jim Clark

There were 137 last year who declared — and 73 withdrew. My guess is it will be similar numbers this year. But a bunch of those kids who stayed in were not even D-1 kids.

jbcarol

NBA deadline for entering this year's draft is 11:59 p.m. EDT next Sunday (April 22).

QuoteSo such UK players as Hamidou Diallo, Jarred Vanderbilt and Wenyen Gabriel must decide this week whether to enter the NBA Draft.

jbcarol