Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instant pot pressure cooker..

Started by PorkRinds, December 24, 2016, 04:38:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Been wanting a pressure cooker for a while now.  My mom and dad got me one for Christmas and this thing is fantastic! Cooked a pot of chili that should have simmered all day and it was amazing in 30 mins. Couldn't tell any difference between it and my all day simmered chili.  Made some chicken stock that was golden nectar straight from heaven in 30 mins. I'm loving this thing!

PorkRinds

It's called "instant pot". It's one of the more popular brands. I think there's even an infomercial, although I'm not sure it's this brand. It has a slow cooker function so it can replace the crock pot. But it also has a steamer function and a rice cooker function as well.  I think the beauty of it is the speed. You can cook a roast in 45 mins. Stew in 15 mins. Steamed veggies in 3 mins.  Beans from dry in an hour. Frozen chicken in 15 minutes. I believe this one is 6 quarts, but it may be five. I'm not really sure.  My main reason for wanting one was to be able to cook long cooking recipes in less than an hour.  As I get more practice with it I'll check in and tell you if it's worth the expense and extra cabinet space. I've already just put my slow cooker in storage because it has been replaced.

Snoutmaster

Got an electric pressure cooker last year and I swear by them now.  Share good recipes as you find them if you don't mind

Snoutmaster

PorkRinds

I haven't really made anything unusual. Just my usual recipes in half as much time. Made beef stew last night in about 45 mins total. I really like this thing.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 06, 2017, 12:46:34 pm
I believe I saw an infomercial for one today.  The Power Pressure Cooker

PorkRinds - is your pressure cooker this one: click here - this is a review of the Instant Pot.

That's the one. The instant pot. Made beans with a ham hock the other day 45 mins cook time from dry beans! I love this thing.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 07, 2017, 02:33:45 pm
I am in PorkRinds!  Ordered an Instant Pot (should be here early next week) and caught a meat sale in progress at Harp's today.  I have a ham and a roast ready to go.  So many possibilities here....I've been reading a bit on various websites and have found several ideas that look good. 

I do know I'd like to try BR's Black Eyed Peas recipe from here:

You won't be disappointed. One thing I've learned so far is that according to lots of people on the internet, the rubber seal that seals the instant pot will soak up smells and flavors. So if you want to do desserts and stuff you need an extra seal. One for desserts and ones for soups, meats, and stews. I cooked beans a few uses ago and can still smell the bean seasonings in the seal so I just ordered two more. It was like 11 bucks for two on Amazon. I also ordered an old school metal steamer insert for steaming veggies. 

GreenwayTigerHog

I had a deer roast in the crockpot that wasn't quite coming apart like I wanted and I also got to screwing around and didn't get the potatoes put in in time.  I threw them in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes and they were falling apart after that. 

pigture perfect

I need one of these, in case any of my family members see this.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on January 11, 2017, 09:59:43 am
I had a deer roast in the crockpot that wasn't quite coming apart like I wanted and I also got to screwing around and didn't get the potatoes put in in time.  I threw them in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes and they were falling apart after that.

Yep. A good roast takes all day in the crock pot. Takes an hour or two in the pressure cooker.

HawgWild

Is the Instant Pot workings similar to the old pressure cooker? Looks to me like a hybrid crock pot/ pressure cooker. Reading this thread has made me want to dust off the old pressure cooker I have.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HawgWild on January 12, 2017, 01:23:11 pm
Is the Instant Pot workings similar to the old pressure cooker? Looks to me like a hybrid crock pot/ pressure cooker. Reading this thread has made me want to dust off the old pressure cooker I have.

It can do both. Plus rice cooker, steamer, etc.

LSUFan

My dad's mom swore by a pressure cooker.

She would cook a coon smothered in sweet potatoes and brown sugar, GOOD LAWD!

It was so tender you could also eat the bones. And the glaze that it made was allmazing!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 04, 2017, 05:24:10 pm
Started a ham and 15 bean soup in the IP.  Ready in one hour - nice on a cold day. 

Man has this thing been nice, BUT I do agree with a lot of the sentiment that says starting to use it can be a bit intimidating from the standpoint one is venturing into new territory.  I have this feeling there will be a bad dish or two somewhere along the way (meaning prepped or cooked incorrectly), but that's like anything new I suppose.

I've messed up rice and destroyed a Mac and cheese recipe I tried to wing it on when I didn't have the right ingredients. Made some home made chicken noodle soup tonight with homemade chicken stock from the IP. It was great.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 13, 2017, 11:30:51 am
Since my last post, we've had a red beans, rice, and andouille sausage dish which was quite tasty as well but since then we haven't used the IP again as the temps warm up.  Looking back, we've used our IP for mostly soup like dishes - hoping to branch out and use it for something other than a soup like dish.

It's great for roast. I also like to make burrito bowls with shredded chicken breast. 4 chicken breasts and a cup of salsa. Maybe a 1/4 cup of water. 12 minutes with natural pressure release. Shred and put back in the juice. Great on tacos or burritos. I make it for lunches with beans and rice.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

LSUFan

I've never cooked my pot in a pressure cooker.

Just a bowl.  8)
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on April 16, 2017, 03:20:23 pm
I've never cooked my pot in a pressure cooker.

Just a bowl.  8)

LOL

husker71

I just ordered on and hope it will get here by Friday and will be putting a roast in it.   Just hope I get it by game 7 of the NBA finals.  Thanks Pork Rinds for the suggestion. 

PorkRinds

Just for the record, it's helpful to cut the roast into smaller pieces to make it cook quicker.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

I going to look for one during those post Christmas sales .

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 07, 2017, 02:33:45 pm
I am in PorkRinds!  Ordered an Instant Pot (should be here early next week) and caught a meat sale in progress at Harp's today.  I have a ham and a roast ready to go.  So many possibilities here....I've been reading a bit on various websites and have found several ideas that look good. 

I do know I'd like to try BR's Black Eyed Peas recipe from here:

my peas do rock
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

DeltaBoy

Yes they do BR and my wife loves them.

DeltaBoy

PorkRinds

That's the crock pot version, not the pressure cooker.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

PorkRinds

I make an instant pot butter chicken that's super easy and awesome! Gonna try my hand at Thai Curry this week.

little pigee

My wife makes AWESOME cheesecake in the Instant Pot.  I have bought eight of them for gifts.  Many "thank you's" have resulted.  Good site for "Potheads" is:
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pressurecookrecipes.com&utm_content&utm_campaign=Newsletter%20Feb%208%202019

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.