Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you had $20k to play with...

Started by "Boar", November 28, 2016, 10:38:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

If I had $20K to play with, I'd play with it. Take a couple of nice long trips.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 11, 2018, 09:46:40 am
If I had $20K to play with, I'd play with it. Take a couple of nice long trips.

Best advice so far

SugarHillGaHog

Play money?  I'd spread it out.

UAA
PRI
GE
C or OZRK
TMUS or either AMD/HPQ or WEN if tech not your thing

/I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express so YMMV
//do your homework.  This was just off the top of my head

HiggiePiggy

That's what I ended up doing when I got 15k from our rental house we sold.  Bought some dividend stocks that I felt were a lot safer and probably be around until I retire.   

I'm up over a 100 a month in dividends so far. Averaging close to 125. Hopefully it will be close to 200 by the end of this year. 

I am 37 right now.  In about 4 and half years the house my wife and I live in will be paid off and that will free up 2k a month from me and 1300 a month from her so I will be able to do probably an extra 1000 every month into stocks.  So when I retire I am hoping to have dividends stock built high enough to bring in over 1000 maybe 2000 a month on it plus my wife and I have 401ks going.  She also has stock in Walmart from when she worked there that she is holding onto. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

longbore

March 05, 2018, 05:22:21 pm #154 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:00:13 pm by longbore
Penny stock party favor...

longbore

Had fun trading RNVA yesterday...

longbore

March 09, 2018, 05:04:37 am #156 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:56:47 pm by longbore
BTGI...Rotten stinky trash or I might be able to use that for sumptin someday...

longbore

March 17, 2018, 09:21:08 am #157 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:53:39 pm by longbore
Im a loser baby why don't cha kill me...two turn tables and a microphone...

HiggiePiggy

I'm up to 150 a month in dividends so far.  Would love to get another big junk of money to play with again.  100 a week plus whatever dividends I get for that week is annoying me.  4 to 5 years and the house will be paid off and I will be able to add another 2k a month in stock. 

Hog_Fink

be interested to hear what some of you think about this project

https://genesis.vision

longbore

March 17, 2018, 06:48:24 pm #160 Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:08:28 am by longbore
buy low low low...

longbore

Wish I'd of held RBIZ a bit longer.

longbore

HiggiePiggy

Oxlc trades at about 11 bucks and now does monthly dividends of .135

I am currently building that one up.  Up over 250 shares now.

AirWarren

I bought 26 shares of Apple stock a couple of years ago at 92$ per share. Fairly safe portfolio investment. Nothing to get rich overnight.

Was at 200$ per share yesterday. Felt good!

HiggiePiggy

Yeah. Would love to have bought amazon back in 1997.  1000 bucks then would be close to a million today. 

AirWarren

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 02, 2018, 08:55:53 pm
Yeah. Would love to have bought amazon back in 1997.  1000 bucks then would be close to a million today.

It's still a fairly safe portfolio investment, today. I think I have doubled my initial Apple investment in a little over a year and a half.

Ric1951

nice buy on apple. i did same thing with nvda . nov of 2016 i bought 200 shares at average of 67$ a share. this morning its at 252$  wish they were all like that.

kingofdequeen

KoD's 20k cocaine party.   come one come all. 

NationalChamps2017

ricepig

Quote from: NationalChamps2017 on August 18, 2018, 10:44:37 pm
AMD

Yeah, bought some back in the spring, along with CSCO and QCOM, I wish it was all in AMD.

NationalChamps2017

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2018, 07:37:42 am
Yeah, bought some back in the spring, along with CSCO and QCOM, I wish it was all in AMD.

What are you really on right now? I've been trying to get the NEPT stock to do something for a while, and keep throwing money at it!!

Hog_Fink

HiggiePiggy

Hog_Fink

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 30, 2018, 07:11:28 pm
More like a few years ago.

It's down 66% from it's ath, which it's likely to hit again in the next year, maybe even in q4.

I'm really fond of genesis vision (gvt) though.
Decentralized trust management & market.
Traders each have their own currency & their trading history is listed on a block chain,
Smart contracts execute pay outs.
Traders must invest a minimum of $1000 depending on their tier.

Extremely transparent.
They trade in crypto, as well as traditional investments, forex, precious metals, stocks.

InHognito

Quote from: galactivation on September 02, 2018, 01:39:52 pm
It's down 66% from it's ath, which it's likely to hit again in the next year, maybe even in q4.

I'm really fond of genesis vision (gvt) though.
Decentralized trust management & market.
Traders each have their own currency & their trading history is listed on a block chain,
Smart contracts execute pay outs.
Traders must invest a minimum of $1000 depending on their tier.

Extremely transparent.
They trade in crypto, as well as traditional investments, forex, precious metals, stocks.

Legit almost went into GVT in their ICO....haven't seen that name in a while. How is it doing? Will have to check up on it.

The crypto world has me very skiddish after the last major correction....I made a lot of money but watched a lot of potential profit also disappear just being dumb and greedy.

One coin im into is DENT......its a utility coin for worldwide payment for selling and purchasing cellular data. Already has a working product in multiple countries throughout the world. Selling at 0.003 cents each right now. Threw a few hundred dollars at it. Probably wont hit anything but its ATH is like .12 cents. Would LOVE to see that again

Hog_Fink

Gvt platform launches in October. You will be able to invest in traders. Depends what btc does, which today seems to confirm we are still in a bear market... But definitely fond of the project & it's potential.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: NationalChamps2017 on August 18, 2018, 10:44:37 pm
AMD

Good pick. I got into it just under $20 which I considered a few bucks above my ideal price. The call volume was so strong, the short squeeze potential was there, and Lisa Su has AMD dialed in on gaining share vs INTC that it seemed foolish to not at least initiate a small position. It would be nice to get more below my cost basis but that's a high quality problem.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: NationalChamps2017 on August 28, 2018, 09:13:28 pm
What are you really on right now? I've been trying to get the NEPT stock to do something for a while, and keep throwing money at it!!

Just out of curiosity, what was your original thesis in buying NEPT?  Not saying it was a bad or good buy at all. I just operate with the mindset of ensuring an original buying thesis is intact. 

Looks to be a speculative stock, in a defensive sector, with core business being in the highly competitive and trend driven supplements space, but with some exposure to cannabis (which I would guess is in your original thesis).

I just got into CGC recently. Small position due to the recent run up but think the fundamentals will take it higher and STZ is heavily invested with them. 
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

onebadrubi

Looks like yalls AMD play is doing well.  I think I saw it up to almost $30 today

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 10, 2018, 01:49:08 pm
Looks like yalls AMD play is doing well.  I think I saw it up to almost $30 today

Yeah, it's been in a real sweet spot fundamentally and technically. I thought it would hit resistance above $30 given the parabolic/euphoric run up but the call volume is still strong through September expiration, indicating resistance may not come into play until $32-$34/share. AMD can turn on the volatility at a moment's notice though and $33 was my 12 month price target when I initiated the position.

If I did not have a position, I'd nibble on the next day of weakness, preferably below $27, leaving room to buy more below your cost basis on further weakness. Next earnings report is 10/22 so if it continues to run, especially after the Sept expiration, I'd have to think it will be priced for a perfect report and would expect weakness heading into and out of the Oct earnings call.

NationalChamps2017

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on September 10, 2018, 11:04:45 am
Just out of curiosity, what was your original thesis in buying NEPT?  Not saying it was a bad or good buy at all. I just operate with the mindset of ensuring an original buying thesis is intact. 

Looks to be a speculative stock, in a defensive sector, with core business being in the highly competitive and trend driven supplements space, but with some exposure to cannabis (which I would guess is in your original thesis).

I just got into CGC recently. Small position due to the recent run up but think the fundamentals will take it higher and STZ is heavily invested with them.

It was profitable and the oils are where the big profits are. They are still awaiting full licensure which is pretty much in the bag, just a waiting game now. I think it hits $15 in the near future. Now don't think I'm crazy but I'm throwing all my money in NSPR right now. It closed at .27 today, yes cents. However, if you spend time looking at why they are doing, mesh stents, they will be profitable in next quarter or 2 and I think you might be looking at an $8-$10 stock by this time next year if not before. FDA aparoval in 2019 may even send it higher. I encourage y'all to check it out.

HiggiePiggy

Only thing I have seen about nspr is saying something about 3 dollars.  Where are you getting more information on it?  Just curious because I do like playing risks. 

NationalChamps2017

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 09, 2018, 12:11:29 pm
Only thing I have seen about nspr is saying something about 3 dollars.  Where are you getting more information on it?  Just curious because I do like playing risks.

$3 is the price target from 1 analyst. Go to the web page Inspiremd.com and look at the slideshow and read the 8k that they put out today. Lots of upside and they will be globally relevant soon and 11.3 million cash on hand with sales gaining in huge percentages. It'll be a long term play but a great time to accumulate. In my opinion if they hit the timelines in place could be a very big profit opportunity.

widespreadsooie

If I had 20k to "play with" I'd definitely throw in on KoD's coke party. If I had 20k to invest, I'd probably just open up a Roth since I'm in my 20s. If I'm not in my 20s, might as well PM KoD, figure out a way to bet against student loans or buy water.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: NationalChamps2017 on October 09, 2018, 08:07:08 pm
$3 is the price target from 1 analyst. Go to the web page Inspiremd.com and look at the slideshow and read the 8k that they put out today. Lots of upside and they will be globally relevant soon and 11.3 million cash on hand with sales gaining in huge percentages. It'll be a long term play but a great time to accumulate. In my opinion if they hit the timelines in place could be a very big profit opportunity.

Thanks.  I will check it out some more.  Market is down today so majority of my stocks are down at the moment.  I will probably buy some of this and see how it goes. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 09, 2018, 08:51:07 pm
If I had 20k to "play with" I'd definitely throw in on KoD's coke party. If I had 20k to invest, I'd probably just open up a Roth since I'm in my 20s. If I'm not in my 20s, might as well PM KoD, figure out a way to bet against student loans or buy water.

In your 20s. You should be doing some high risk choices. Build up some dividends stocks. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 09, 2018, 08:51:07 pm

student loans will be forgiven within the next decade.   

widespreadsooie

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 10, 2018, 12:39:44 pm
student loans will be forgiven within the next decade.   

I'm not sure that matters. The money has been loaned and spent. Loaned to people with no credit score who are getting worthless degrees, if they get one at all. There's hedge funds on Wall St. betting against student loans today if I'm not mistaken.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: NationalChamps2017 on October 06, 2018, 01:21:27 am
It was profitable and the oils are where the big profits are. They are still awaiting full licensure which is pretty much in the bag, just a waiting game now. I think it hits $15 in the near future. Now don't think I'm crazy but I'm throwing all my money in NSPR right now. It closed at .27 today, yes cents. However, if you spend time looking at why they are doing, mesh stents, they will be profitable in next quarter or 2 and I think you might be looking at an $8-$10 stock by this time next year if not before. FDA aparoval in 2019 may even send it higher. I encourage y'all to check it out.

I gotcha. NEPT had a nice run in Sept with the cannabis trade euphoria but I suspect it will consolidate a bit as that trade has to normalize. Need to do more work on NSPR to have an educated opinion because all I'd be able to offer now is a best of breed mindset skewed "be careful" speech on speculative names, lol.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 10, 2018, 01:49:08 pm

Glad I got out of AMD around $33/share. The semiconductors have been a grease fire due to concerns around demand slowing and obviously the resulting increased supply. MU has a PE of 3.3!! It sounds like a cheap stock to buy until you consider the overwhelming sentiment is that Micron will not hit their EPS guidance for 2019.

It's been a earning miss blood bath in the space lately. AMD and TXN missed the mark this week. INTC is facing rumors of a delay in their latest nanochip compounded against slowing demand concerns, NVDA is widely expected to report a miss in mid November.

All that said, I think NVDA, INTC, and AMD are worth buying on weakness so long as you understand the short to intermediate run is probably going to be ugly. I'd prefer AMD between $16 and $17, NVDA below $200 and INTC around $42.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 10, 2018, 12:49:18 pm
I'm not sure that matters. The money has been loaned and spent. Loaned to people with no credit score who are getting worthless degrees, if they get one at all. There's hedge funds on Wall St. betting against student loans today if I'm not mistaken.

all the more reason to forgive them and screw them. 

you shouldn't be able to make money betting on failure.  I'm sure there's someone somewhere who would tell me otherwise, but i can't promise i'll be apt to listen. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on October 25, 2018, 12:35:09 pm
Glad I got out of AMD around $33/share. The semiconductors have been a grease fire due to concerns around demand slowing and obviously the resulting increased supply. MU has a PE of 3.3!! It sounds like a cheap stock to buy until you consider the overwhelming sentiment is that Micron will not hit their EPS guidance for 2019.

It's been a earning miss blood bath in the space lately. AMD and TXN missed the mark this week. INTC is facing rumors of a delay in their latest nanochip compounded against slowing demand concerns, NVDA is widely expected to report a miss in mid November.

All that said, I think NVDA, INTC, and AMD are worth buying on weakness so long as you understand the short to intermediate run is probably going to be ugly. I'd prefer AMD between $16 and $17, NVDA below $200 and INTC around $42.
Much of what you say about the semi cycle slowing is true. One has to remember that this industry does have its cycles just like virtually every other out there. Therefore, the underperformance of many stocks that will likely persist for the next several quarters. Given that, however, one should also keep in mind that just as the group anticipates a slowing in advance of actual proof of such, they also anticipate the eventual recovery. No one knows exactly when the next up turn will begin. As I just said, it likely won't be for several quarters. However, even if true there WILL be a time to begin accumulating even before things appear to be improving. Remember too that before these stocks can begin to stabilize in price the selling has to dry up. Not at that point yet.

As for MU, if I'm truly a long term investor I would begin nibbling. At the low single digit price/earnings multiple do you honestly think short of the company actually reporting losses over the next several quarters that the worst likely hasn't been already discounted into the price? Could the stock go lower-of course. However, unlike AMD and many others in the sector MU has been declining well in advance of the group and has been doing so for at least the past three or four months. That is well before the recent decline in the vast majority of the other stocks in the group. Not pounding the table on MU; after all, everyone has to determine what type of risk they're willing/able to accept. However, for someone who's willing to start "dollar cost averaging" in an company that I believe will remain a solid company in the industry I can think of worse things to do over the next few months.

BTW for what's it worth I agree on NVDA. IF anyone is going to be the "big dog" going forward it's them. AI, Block Chain and other areas are their specialty and that's not going to change anytime in the foreseeable future. However, I wouldn't be afraid to begin buying it around current levels 'cause at the end of the day I believe you'e going to make a LOT of money over the next several years. Same as with most others a strategy of "dollar cost averaging" is your best friend.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 25, 2018, 01:33:59 pm
all the more reason to forgive them and screw them. 

you shouldn't be able to make money betting on failure.  I'm sure there's someone somewhere who would tell me otherwise, but i can't promise i'll be apt to listen. 

I'm guessing you haven't seen The Big Short, or even heard of it? There's many differences between the sub prime mortgage crisis, and the soon to be student loan debt crisis, but the underlying principals remain similar if I'm not mistaking. My post was mainly in jest but I can't help to pay close attention to what will happen with student loan debt that's approaching $1.5 trillion. I don't think that student loan debt can be currently discharged thru bankruptcy but if that's how the govt. chooses to bail people out then there should be an even bigger window to profit off failure.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 25, 2018, 06:34:28 pm
I'm guessing you haven't seen The Big Short, or even heard of it? There's many differences between the sub prime mortgage crisis, and the soon to be student loan debt crisis, but the underlying principals remain similar if I'm not mistaking. My post was mainly in jest but I can't help to pay close attention to what will happen with student loan debt that's approaching $1.5 trillion. I don't think that student loan debt can be currently discharged thru bankruptcy but if that's how the govt. chooses to bail people out then there should be an even bigger window to profit off failure.
I can almost guarantee you that the government-i.e. the tax payer-will very likely eat most, if not all, the student loans in arrears. Yep, instead of the individual who actually took out the loan(s) having to actually make good on the loans there will be much whining, crying; and of course the politicians who are always ready to "ride to the rescue", especially if it means a vote for them, will be be more than eager to let the average tax payer swallow the bad debt. Sorry, but I've had it with seeing so many times those who incur the debt skate with little, if any, consequence. Too often it's left to folks who are financially responsible in handling of their own financial circumstances to bail out those who don't.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 25, 2018, 09:45:01 pm
I can almost guarantee you that the government-i.e. the tax payer-will very likely eat most, if not all, the student loans in arrears. Yep, instead of the individual who actually took out the loan(s) having to actually make good on the loans there will be much whining, crying; and of course the politicians who are always ready to "ride to the rescue", especially if it means a vote for them, will be be more than eager to let the average tax payer swallow the bad debt. Sorry, but I've had it with seeing so many times those who incur the debt skate with little, if any, consequence. Too often it's left to folks who are financially responsible in handling of their own financial circumstances to bail out those who don't.

Wouldn't surprise me at all either, that's what happened with the banks who were highly staked in sub prime mortgages. I would think that would be good if you're interested in betting against the debt being repaid.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 25, 2018, 06:34:28 pm

i don't think you should be able to bet on failure and it be seen as a legitimate investment.  like the short sellers who went crazy about Musk's comments - so effin what?  you're betting on the demise of peoples jobs.   it's a gamble.  you lost.  suck it up and find legitimate ways to make money if you don't like it.

again - someone can probably extol some type of virtue from that practice, but i won't believe them.  it's antithetical to what America should be about. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 25, 2018, 09:45:01 pm

they're fake balances tho that went directly back to the govt or govt workers for the most part.   there's no impact other than it will probably force the higher education system to revamp how it does business - which would be positive.   

right now SL's are nothing more than albatrosses around the necks of the very people who will be counted on to support our society.   what sense does it make to continue biting the hands that will feed you?

widespreadsooie

Actually ended up investing in water. Will continue to.

RE: shorts- If you can bet on people to succeed you should be able to bet on people to fail. Investing isn't a college campus.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 01, 2018, 09:42:56 pm
Actually ended up investing in water. Will continue to.

RE: shorts- If you can bet on people to succeed you should be able to bet on people to fail. Investing isn't a college campus.
Well if you're referring to someone like AWK then over time that might not be too bad of an idea. After all, it IS an essential element of human life and unfortunately with the ever growing world population reliable fresh water resources are becoming more and more difficult to find. Be aware, however, that most of the publicly traded companies that provide such services are subject to certain regulations, many similar to other public utilities. Therefore, what they can typically charge for their services, earn on their capital and infrastructure investments and overall expenses are going to be watched and reviewed by certain regulatory authorities. Similar to most other utilities such as gas, electric, etc. the typical growth in earnings and revenues, at least in the shorter term (year to year), are going to be more modest than more growth oriented industries and sectors. Perhaps not a bad thing over time though. Kind of like the tortoise and the hare analogy.