Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrist-based HRM

Started by McKdaddy, November 20, 2015, 09:39:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

My Polar RCX3 is on its way out. My gym is having a sale on itls electronics, including the relatively new Garmin Forerunner 225. The 225 is a wrist-based hrm, which I've not tried before (I've used a forearm hrm strap, which worked well). Online reviews are generally positive of this wrist-based hrm, but people seem to love it (it works) or hate it (didn't work for them), and not much in between.

Any experiences to share?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgPilot

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 20, 2015, 09:39:59 am
My Polar RCX3 is on its way out. My gym is having a sale on itls electronics, including the relatively new Garmin Forerunner 225. The 225 is a wrist-based hrm, which I've not tried before (I've used a forearm hrm strap, which worked well). Online reviews are generally positive of this wrist-based hrm, but people seem to love it (it works) or hate it (didn't work for them), and not much in between.

Any experiences to share?

Never used the wrist him but I have the Garmin Forerunner 620 and the chest hrm works well.

McKdaddy

Thanks. The chest straps for my Polar watch and my bike's  Garmin both work really well. I think it'd be convenient just to throw on the 225 or 235 w/ their wrist-based hrm and not need the chest strap.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 21, 2015, 08:14:04 am
Thanks. The chest straps for my Polar watch and my bike's  Garmin both work really well. I think it'd be convenient just to throw on the 225 or 235 w/ their wrist-based hrm and not need the chest strap.

Let us know how it goes.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on November 21, 2015, 09:12:31 am
Let us know how it goes.

Not sure I'll get this model, but am looking to replace the Polar (which is going through batteries "like shiit through a tin horn").

DeltaBoy

My wife is looking at several types for me to get her for Christmas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

McKdaddy

The Garmin 235 is coming out real soon (early Dec, I believe) and has more activity modes on it (such as cycling metrics) than the 225, which is primarily running based.  So I'm leaning towards waiting for it.

hawgrunner

November 26, 2015, 02:14:31 pm #7 Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:29:48 pm by hawgrunner
Quote from: McKdaddy on November 22, 2015, 09:11:34 am

Not sure I'll get this model, but am looking to replace the Polar (which is going through batteries "like shiit through a tin horn").

batteries are the last thing you need to wonder about. I have a polar too but hardly ever replace batteries.