Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Welcome to the University of Arkansas

Started by Kevin, June 12, 2015, 08:12:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Softballinar

coltseaver

psycHOGlogist

Good luck, Coach Scott Deifel! We're rooting for you!

nwahogfan1

Her first order of business is to do what?    Meet all of her players, hire assistant coaches, review all of the previous staff recruiting class  or to go Recruit?   BUSY!

I can see a very busy schedule for a while and I did not mention moving her things and getting a house or apartment.   LOL.

jackflash

I wonder if she will bring her assistants she has now or new ones?

flippinhogmana

June 12, 2015, 12:06:14 pm #6 Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:17:14 pm by flippinhogmana
This is from the University Website.  Sorry I tried to cut and paste the url to give proper attribution and get her image too, but was unable.  At least you know where its from. 

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long announced on Thursday the hiring of Courtney Scott Deifel as head coach of the University of Arkansas softball program. Scott Deifel, who led Maryland to a 16-game improvement in her first season as a head coach in 2015, becomes the fourth head coach in Arkansas' program history.
"We are pleased to announce Courtney Scott Deifel as our head coach and welcome her to the University of Arkansas family," Long said. "Courtney's coaching pedigree, her success as a student-athlete and her ability to transform and cultivate a winning culture as a head coach are qualities we are looking to instill in our program. She's a proven winner and competitor and that was on full display last year during her team's remarkable turnaround. I was extremely impressed with her competitiveness and desire to lead our program against the best softball programs in the country. Courtney is a rising star and we are happy to have her leading the Arkansas softball program."
During her playing and coaching careers, Scott Deifel has advanced to 11 NCAA Tournaments including a four-year run to the Women's College World Series (WCWS) as an All-American catcher at California that was highlighted by winning the 2002 national title. The Bears also finished second (2003), fifth (2001) and seventh (2000) at the WCWS over her four-year run. Her postseason successes also feature a pair of Super Regionals as a graduate assistant at Oklahoma and five NCAA Regionals as an assistant at Maryland and Louisville.
As a first-year head coach, Scott Deifel ushered in a culture of change for Maryland in 2015. Along with the program's 16-game improvement from the previous season, the Terrapins' offense show tremendous growth. Maryland finished 27th in the NCAA with 6.28 runs per game behind 339 runs scored, up more than 150 runs from 2014. Scott Deifel also led her team to a .309 batting average, a 40-point jump from 2014 which also ranked 57th in the NCAA.
Individually, Scott Deifel guided three players to all-conference accolades and a pair of NFCA all-region honors. Lindsey Schmeister was an All-Big Ten first team performer while Shannon Bustillos and Erin Pronobis landed on the All-Big Ten second team. Probonis and Corey Schwartz were also named to the NFCA All-Midwest Region Third Team. Under Scott Deifel's watch, the trio helped Maryland to single-season school records in doubles, home runs, RBI and walks.
Prior to taking the head job at Maryland, Scott Deifel spent four seasons as an assistant coach at Louisville in which she helped the Cardinals to four NCAA appearances, the 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament title and an overall record of 176-60 (.746). Louisville averaged 44 wins in that time with a program-record 55 wins in 2012. Her student-athletes at Louisville racked up four NFCA All-America certificates and 29 all-conference selections.
Scott Deifel played in 285 games in her career at California, missing just three games behind the plate over her four years. As a four-year starter, she was a 2003 All-American, two-time All-Pac 10 selection and caught seven no-hitters. Scott is still the program's career leader with 1,969 putouts.
Aside from her accomplishments in collegiate softball, Scott Deifel had a successful professional career following her days at Cal. In 2004, she helped the NY/NJ Juggernaut to the National Professional Fastpitch (NPF) league title. Scott Deifel also spent three years with LeoPalac21 in Japan that resulted in a runner-up showing and a pair of third-place finishes.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

coltseaver

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 12, 2015, 09:40:14 am
Her first order of business is to do what?    Meet all of her players, hire assistant coaches, review all of the previous staff recruiting class  or to go Recruit?   BUSY!

I can see a very busy schedule for a while and I did not mention moving her things and getting a house or apartment.   LOL.

She also has to move her entire life to Fayetteville and she has a baby on the way. Busy is an understatement!  :razorback:

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jackflash

To me the important thing is done. We now have a Head Coach. Going to be fun watching what she does. I know I am going to be more interested in woman softball in future. I do have to thanks SEC network for that. I wonder if any of recruits from Maryland will what to follow her to Arkansas. Now that we have a HC lets continue the interest in softball we have started.

hawg1221

If anyone's wondering, I saw an article on how to pronounce her last name.  It's like "rifle", but with a "d".  Many may have already known that.  I didn't.

hawg1221

Softball is my favorite sport in the womens athletic department.  I love watching it.  This new coach may not have a lot of head coaching experience, but she has a lot of experience.  I also love that she is from the west coast.  It's wonderful to take chances on young "up & coming" coaches. If she becomes very successful here, she might stay for a long time with the SEC on the verge of passing up the PAC12 in softball (may have already).

TheRazorback500

I can get into some good softball. Two of my daughters played through high school and I've played recreationally and with some church leagues. It's always been a dream of mine that the Hogs could become competitive in SEC women's softball. Welcome, Coach. WPS!

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

jackflash

Have they had a press conference to introduce her yet?

hawg1221

Quote from: jackflash on June 13, 2015, 08:59:36 pm
Have they had a press conference to introduce her yet?

Not yet. Not that I'm aware of...

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hawg1221 on June 14, 2015, 10:32:44 am
Not yet. Not that I'm aware of...

they do however have an article in time for fathers day (its part about her roots and her dad) on arkansasrazorbacks.com  I think we will find in time that Long made a very good hire.  I like her style, I like her philosophy and that of her Dad.

hoglady

I hope fans will be patient and give her time to turn this program around.
The dominance of the SEC in this sport is really unmatched.
8 to supers, 5 to CWS, 3 of the Final Four teams still standing at the end.
Talk about stepping into the fire.
It will take some time to turn it around.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

flippinhogmana

Having read both parts of the series that the University did on her, I think that she will develop and manage from a 'family' atmosphere.  I always tried to cultivate that same atmosphere both in coaching and managing (beyond athletics).  I think she has the right approach to coaching a team sport.  I think our program is in good hands.  I think recruits will say the same.

BigPapaHawg

Welcome Coach!!!! Great to have you here!!!!
WOO PIG

flippinhogmana

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 04, 2015, 04:13:56 pm
Having read both parts of the series that the University did on her, I think that she will develop and manage from a 'family' atmosphere.  I always tried to cultivate that same atmosphere both in coaching and managing (beyond athletics).  I think she has the right approach to coaching a team sport.  I think our program is in good hands.  I think recruits will say the same.

There is a third article in this series on the coach in her formative years on arkansasrazorbacks.com our school's official site.  Its called Part 3: captain of the Defense