Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beachfront in Destin

Started by hogwild6700, May 07, 2015, 11:31:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfly

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2015, 02:54:07 pm
Never have, so I won't be able to compare it to that. However, I definitely plan on doing it in the future.

Okay than! Don't let me discourage you at all. We always bring snorkels and masks and there actually is quite a bit to see. I just didn't want you to expect it to be like a reef. The best part is that the water can be just absolutely beautifully clear at times  it can feel like an aquarium if the conditions are right. Totally calm and totally clear.

You will see schools of redfish and lady fish for sure. Lots of needlefish and assorted little fish too. You'll have a great time if water is clear.

jry04

Quote from: Hogfly on June 16, 2015, 07:54:30 pm
Okay than! Don't let me discourage you at all. We always bring snorkels and masks and there actually is quite a bit to see. I just didn't want you to expect it to be like a reef. The best part is that the water can be just absolutely beautifully clear at times  it can feel like an aquarium if the conditions are right. Totally calm and totally clear.

You will see schools of redfish and lady fish for sure. Lots of needlefish and assorted little fish too. You'll have a great time if water is clear.
Sounds good. We are planning a better trip in the future, so I am looking forward to snorkeling around reef. I have been to Gulf Shores numerous times in the past, and snorkeling there is a joke. I would have to imagine Destin is better. The water is too murky there.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2015, 01:57:11 pm
I am staying on Okaloosa Island in August. How are the beaches/water there?

I plan on going Snorkeling in Destin, too. Anyone have experience with how good the snorkeling is there?
Head over to the jetties in Destin. Decent snorkeling and a sunken boat offers decent diving also.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

micali

Quote from: Tripod1 on May 12, 2015, 11:29:59 am
Let me suggest Navarre Beach if you want to get away from the crowds.  Very laid back and close to both Pensacola and Destin.  Very good beach for a couple looking to just relax or a family with small kids. 
This.  I'm here right now. The best price and time is the end of August and the beginning of September.   We come here every year.

micali

Quote from: jry04 on June 17, 2015, 11:34:53 am
Sounds good. We are planning a better trip in the future, so I am looking forward to snorkeling around reef. I have been to Gulf Shores numerous times in the past, and snorkeling there is a joke. I would have to imagine Destin is better. The water is too murky there.
It's all a joke, even in Destin.  It could have been where the package rides took us.  I don't imagine  there are very many beautiful places to snorkel in Destin.  If you do go, go around the Eddies or wind breaks.  Throw corn like the snorkeling packages do and the fish will sworm.

hogfan870

You will see lots of fish snorkeling the jetties.  It isn't like reefs in the caribbean, but lots of fish.  I would definitly say it was worth it. 

I have snorkeled off the beach some also, but mostly just to see if there is anything out there to surf fish for. 

hogsfan31

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 22, 2015, 08:38:12 pm
Adding in my 2 cents. We love Siesta Key in Sarasota. If you are all about party central then Clearwater or Destin may be more your speed. Siesta Key has party places but they are up away from the beach in the Village. And while I am sure that the sunrise is amazing on Daytona, the sunset on Siesta is likely equally amazing. If you are just about kicking back with a little older quieter crowd, check it out.

Went to Siesta Key a couple of months ago. Fort Myers Beach this past weekend and Sanibel Island a couple months ago as well, and they are all just awesome. Siesta key was beyond beautiful and not crowded. It's where a lot of locals in South Florida go to enjoy beautiful, calm water without all the crowds. Used to vacation in Destin every summer with my family until I started dating someone from South Florida (North Fort Myers) and I prob won't go back to Destin for a long time.

hogsfan31

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2015, 01:57:11 pm
I am staying on Okaloosa Island in August. How are the beaches/water there?

I plan on going Snorkeling in Destin, too. Anyone have experience with how good the snorkeling is there?

From what I can remember being told by the locals in the dive shops in Destin, the snorkeling isn't that great. If you're looking for great snorkeling just drive south to PCB and go to shell island. They say it's the best in the area. Go on a sunny day, because you can only get there by a boat or pontoon they take you on and if it's storming they shut it down. A couple of ppl were struck by lightening on the boat like 5 yrs ago or so.

Hogfly

In good news, Grayton Beach was installing an artificial reef this week for snorkeling. That thing is going to get HAMMERED by people using, it, though. Hopefully it will inspire them to put in more of them, as you'll probably be able to walk from there to shore across the flotilla of SUPs clustered around it when it opens up.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Hogfly on July 13, 2015, 12:05:58 pm
In good news, Grayton Beach was installing an artificial reef this week for snorkeling. That thing is going to get HAMMERED by people using, it, though. Hopefully it will inspire them to put in more of them, as you'll probably be able to walk from there to shore across the flotilla of SUPs clustered around it when it opens up.

That is very good news.  This is just the first of several artificial reefs they are putting in at Grayton.  When they are finished, the layout will be in the shape of a sea turtle...
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

HogSkinsDisease

Quote from: hogsfan31 on July 06, 2015, 12:55:59 am
From what I can remember being told by the locals in the dive shops in Destin, the snorkeling isn't that great. If you're looking for great snorkeling just drive south to PCB and go to shell island. They say it's the best in the area. Go on a sunny day, because you can only get there by a boat or pontoon they take you on and if it's storming they shut it down. A couple of ppl were struck by lightening on the boat like 5 yrs ago or so.

Stayed at Okaloosa island the first week of July. The seaweed/June grass was bad. You'd get out of the water with it hanging off you. Water clarity was terrible.

We drove down to Shell Island, first time there, and it was awesome. Water was clear as could be. It is a state park so I would try to go during the week if possible, foot traffic picks up on the weekends from what I was told. Riptide was strong the day we went. I ended up helping 3 kids and an adult male get out of them at various times during the day. No lifeguards on the beach.

bplease

July 27, 2015, 04:21:07 pm #61 Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:03:01 pm by bplease
Back from Santa Rosa/Dune allen area. The water was a little rougher this year but we had a great time. No june grass but we did have some jellyfish that gave light to moderate stings but didn't leave any marks or long lasting burns like the serious ones do. Had a couple good short storms but the highlight of the trip this year was that we saw sharks. It was the first time in a dozen trips that I've even seen a shark and we saw two in the same day. A 6 footer or so that came up from the blue faster than I would have imagined and a 10-12' just swimming along the coast line for about a mile. The water was 3'-4' deep right off the back of the first sandbar where he was.  An older man stayed in the water on the back of the sand bar as the shark just swam out away from him like it didn't care.
I had been out a few times to the deeper water (18' or so) while the water was calm and I'm thinking next year I might not be so bold without a kayak.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Hogfly

Quote from: bplease on July 27, 2015, 04:21:07 pm
Back from Santa Rosa/Dune allen area. The water was a little rougher this year but we had a great time. No june grass but we did have some jellyfish that gave light to moderate stings but didn't leave any marks or long lasting burns like the serious ones do. Had a couple good short storms but the highlight of the trip this year was that we saw sharks. It was the first time in a dozen trips that I've even seen a shark and we saw two in the same day. A 6 footer or so that came up from the blue faster than I would have imagined and a 10-12' just swimming along the coast line for about a mile. The water was 3'-4' deep right off the back of the first sandbar where he was.  An older man stayed in the water on the back of the sand bar as the shark just swam out away from him like it didn't care.
I had been out a few times to the deeper water (18' or so) while the water was calm and I'm thinking next year I might not be so bold without a kayak.

We had a 12' hammerhead cruise off the sand bar this year as well. Just cruised along at pretty much the same distance from the shore, heading from PCB toward Grayton. The lifeguards were running up and down the beach on ATVs clearing the water. It was pretty cool, but the reason we were able to see him was how clear the water was this year. We all realized that we've probably been surrounded by sea life the last few years as well (when the water has been murky), but we just didn't realize it due to the conditions.

On the downside, the clear water made the fishing much less productive. I fish with a fly rod with artificials, and I'd get constant follows from ladyfish, but they'd seldom take. Usually, they take like crazy, so I'm thinking that the clarity allowed them to see that the fly was artificial and turned them off.

bplease

Quote from: Hogfly on July 27, 2015, 10:35:49 pm
We had a 12' hammerhead cruise off the sand bar this year as well. Just cruised along at pretty much the same distance from the shore, heading from PCB toward Grayton. The lifeguards were running up and down the beach on ATVs clearing the water. It was pretty cool, but the reason we were able to see him was how clear the water was this year. We all realized that we've probably been surrounded by sea life the last few years as well (when the water has been murky), but we just didn't realize it due to the conditions.

On the downside, the clear water made the fishing much less productive. I fish with a fly rod with artificials, and I'd get constant follows from ladyfish, but they'd seldom take. Usually, they take like crazy, so I'm thinking that the clarity allowed them to see that the fly was artificial and turned them off.
Eesh that's a lot of shark.  It has been extremely clear the last few years so we have been able to see plenty of fish and even a couple turtles. When the shark came it was late afternoon and the surf was crashing so it was pretty neat to see it in the waves as they crested.
Do you fish from the shore or kayak?
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Hogfly

I do both. When the water is nasty with junegrass and sargassum, I have to use the kayak to get out of it. This year, I didn't really fish from the kayak much because it was fun just hanging in the clear water.

I'll also jump in the kayak if there are serious schools out past my reach from the surf.

Jackrabbit Hog

Got to Santa Rosa late last night.  Spent today on the beach and just got back from eating at Stinky's.  Will be here on 30A until Saturday.

It don't get much better than this.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 09, 2015, 10:43:25 pm
Got to Santa Rosa late last night.  Spent today on the beach and just got back from eating at Stinky's.  Will be here on 30A until Saturday.

It don't get much better than this.

Sounds great.  Not sure if you ever stop at Shrimpers for your seafood but if you do, would you ask when they shut down for the season?  Been trying to call them and they will not answer due to being so busy this time of the year.  We may be heading back to the area in October and would like to know if they'll be open so we can pick up oysters.  Have a good time!
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 10, 2015, 06:08:57 am
Sounds great.  Not sure if you ever stop at Shrimpers for your seafood but if you do, would you ask when they shut down for the season?  Been trying to call them and they will not answer due to being so busy this time of the year.  We may be heading back to the area in October and would like to know if they'll be open so we can pick up oysters.  Have a good time!

We're having a shrimp boil tomorrow night so I'll see if we can get our stuff at Shrimpers and I'll ask.  We're just down the street from Goatfeathers, though, and I know the wife mentioned getting everything there.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2015, 08:29:43 am
We're having a shrimp boil tomorrow night so I'll see if we can get our stuff at Shrimpers and I'll ask.  We're just down the street from Goatfeathers, though, and I know the wife mentioned getting everything there.

I appreciate it but don't go to a lot of trouble on my account.  Shrimpers has the best live oysters but they close down at the end of the season and don't reopen till spring.  I was curious when their shutdown started.  If you don't mind, where are you staying?  We're looking at trying that area and renting a house in October. Have a great time
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bplease

Jack how close to stinkys are you?

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 10, 2015, 06:08:57 am

Shrimpers usually closes the first of January till mid-March fyi....
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

Boarcephus

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on August 10, 2015, 12:16:03 pm
Shrimpers usually closes the first of January till mid-March fyi....

Thanks.  Still undecided on our plans but them being open helps us out if we decide to go.  They had the best oysters I've ever bought and would like to do it again.

Jackrabbit Hog

Seaview Villas is the name of the place we're staying.  We found it through VRBO.  Nice 3 BR, 3 bath, gulf view (sort of).  It's on the north side of 30A and the address is 4545 E. Hwy 30A, Santa Rosa Beach.  We're about a 20 minute drive from Stinky's (we are east of there).  My wife did all the planning this time so she knows the particulars on cost, but I think it was about $2k for a week.  The pros of where we are staying are privacy, not too many folks on our beach, and very, very nice accommodations.  The only real con is the 400 yard walk to the beach (although we do have a private gated path to the beach).

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2015, 06:38:17 pm
Seaview Villas is the name of the place we're staying.  We found it through VRBO.  Nice 3 BR, 3 bath, gulf view (sort of).  It's on the north side of 30A and the address is 4545 E. Hwy 30A, Santa Rosa Beach.  We're about a 20 minute drive from Stinky's (we are east of there).  My wife did all the planning this time so she knows the particulars on cost, but I think it was about $2k for a week.  The pros of where we are staying are privacy, not too many folks on our beach, and very, very nice accommodations.  The only real con is the 400 yard walk to the beach (although we do have a private gated path to the beach).

that's really not all that bad, especially if you split that with another couple or have kids.  We spent $1100 and change for a 1 BR, 1 bath at Beachside II in May.  We're toying with heading back in October and may look at the area you're staying at.  Just not too hip on Navarre because there's really not a place to walk around and get away from people which is what I love about Sandestin with all their paths, lakes and trails.

Jackrabbit Hog

Here's a couple of pics of where we are, just stepped out on the balcony and took them 5 minutes ago.  We're on the 4th floor (top floor).  The development is 3 buildings, side by side, each with 4 floors and with 2 units on each floor.

Jackrabbit Hog

This is what we're gonna do today.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 11, 2015, 09:14:11 am
This is what we're gonna do today.

So, which one has the 12 hosel adjustments, 12......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 11, 2015, 10:45:18 am
So, which one has the 12 hosel adjustments, 12......

My putter.  That's all I need, right?

Boarcephus

Looks like a beautiful place.  Hope you've had a blast.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 13, 2015, 06:00:21 am
Looks like a beautiful place.  Hope you've had a blast.

Weather's been very nice.  Had a storm yesterday but we were at the outlet mall so no harm.  Otherwise it's been sunny every day, and today the gulf is as smooth as glass. 

jry04

I stayed at Okaloosa Island last week. We stayed at the last condo on the island before the restricted area. Most of the days that we were there we did not have anyone within 20-30 feet of us. There were quite a few people down the way, but since we were at the end of the island it was perfect.

Grizzlyfan

We stayed in a house on Grayton Beach last month.  Fantastic experience.  We will probably never stay anywhere other than 30A.  Restaurants to try in the area:  Another Broken Egg Cafe for breakfast; The Redbar (in the heart of Grayton); 723 Whiskey Bravo; Café 30A. We had received rave reviews for The Vue.  It was very disappointing.

panhandlepig

Quote from: jry04 on August 18, 2015, 01:10:29 pm
I stayed at Okaloosa Island last week. We stayed at the last condo on the island before the restricted area. Most of the days that we were there we did not have anyone within 20-30 feet of us. There were quite a few people down the way, but since we were at the end of the island it was perfect.

El Matador? Probably the oldest condo on the island. Will probably be there forever...well as long as Okaloosa Island lasts.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: panhandlepig on August 18, 2015, 10:30:10 pm
  El Matador? Probably the oldest condo on the island. Will probably be there forever...well as long as Okaloosa Island lasts.

First time I ever went to that area, about 22 years ago, I stayed at the Henderson Park Inn, which borders the Henderson Park beach.  Same sort of experience as jry04; it was brand new and was the last development before the protected beach, so to our right there was nobody for several miles.  It was great.

bplease

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 18, 2015, 02:20:00 pm
We stayed in a house on Grayton Beach last month.  Fantastic experience.  We will probably never stay anywhere other than 30A.  Restaurants to try in the area:  Another Broken Egg Cafe for breakfast; The Redbar (in the heart of Grayton); 723 Whiskey Bravo; Café 30A. We had received rave reviews for The Vue.  It was very disappointing.
We are thinking of Grayton next year if we can find the right house. I think that is where the artificial reef is going in.

jry04

Quote from: panhandlepig on August 18, 2015, 10:30:10 pm
Yup. It was definitely older, but it met our needs. We spent every day at the beach or in Destin. The only times we were in the condo were to sleep, shower, or cook dinner when we didn't eat out. Although I did spend one afternoon watching golf because it was raining. One of the pools on the property was no more than 20 feet from our front door, and we had it to ourselves multiple nights. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it, because it looked older, but we got a great deal on it and had a great experience.

panhandlepig

We had friends in from Arkansas in July and that's where they stayed. Great location. Just the basics but what more do you need? Another older condo that fits the bill is the Breakers. Glad y'all had a good time.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: panhandlepig on August 21, 2015, 04:16:57 pm
  We had friends in from Arkansas in July and that's where they stayed. Great location. Just the basics but what more do you need? Another older condo that fits the bill is the Breakers. Glad y'all had a good time.

The ocean was great.   8)