Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tiger Woods

Started by MS_HogFan, September 09, 2016, 08:22:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MS_HogFan

He is set to return for the Safeway Open, Oct. 13-16

What y'all think?

I hope he plays well. I miss watching him play.
SOOIE

Boog41

Like the guy personally, or not, he is good for the game of golf. I hope he does well.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Boog41 on September 09, 2016, 08:46:45 am
Like the guy personally, or not, he is good for the game of golf. I hope he does well.
I kind of liked his "women".....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

EastexHawg

At least we can do away with the notion that golf would collapse without him.  With Day, Spieth, McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, the duel between Stenson and Mickelson at Troon, and so forth the game has kept chugging along with most golf fans not even noticing The Chosen One hasn't been around.

Now for a prediction...Tiger is going to find that his world of 10-20 years ago is nothing like the present.  Not only is he going to be only a shell of the player he once was, but today's top players aren't scared of him and aren't going to pee down their legs every time they hear his name.

He'll be a pretty good player if and when he is chipping and putting well.  Otherwise, he won't be much of a factor for the rest of whatever career he has left.

Boog41

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2016, 04:07:11 pm
At least we can do away with the notion that golf would collapse without him.  With Day, Spieth, McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, the duel between Stenson and Mickelson at Troon, and so forth the game has kept chugging along with most golf fans not even noticing The Chosen One hasn't been around.

Now for a prediction...Tiger is going to find that his world of 10-20 years ago is nothing like the present.  Not only is he going to be only a shell of the player he once was, but today's top players aren't scared of him and aren't going to pee down their legs every time they hear his name.

He'll be a pretty good player if and when he is chipping and putting well.  Otherwise, he won't be much of a factor for the rest of whatever career he has left.

I agree with everything you say.

cc

Agreed.  Lost the mystique

HognitiveDissonance

Golf is doing fine without him, but it will do even better with him.
I just hope he can stay healthy. I'm curious what he can do now.
Let's not forget he's "only" 40. Heck, Vijay Singh had almost an entire career after he turned 40. Lots of guys tearing it up on the PGA Tour between 40 and 50 these days.

Pulled(PP)pork

hows the tv viewership going though?

PP

Boarcephus

He'll be a pretty good player if and when he is chipping and putting well.

That was the biggest shock of all to me.  Tiger has always been one of the strongest players I've seen mentally, rivaled only by Nicklaus, but he flat got the yips around and on the greens before he took his time off.

He'll still be a huge draw but as far as being a top 10 golfer, or even a top 25, don't think we'll ever see that from him again. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 10, 2016, 07:56:08 am
That was the biggest shock of all to me.  Tiger has always been one of the strongest players I've seen mentally, rivaled only by Nicklaus, but he flat got the yips around and on the greens before he took his time off.

He'll still be a huge draw but as far as being a top 10 golfer, or even a top 25, don't think we'll ever see that from him again.
which would be a shame, for him to return and give us that final memory of him

PP

Hawg414

doubtful it will happen, but i'd like to see him return and dominate if for no other reason than the entertainment value from the spontaneous combustion of most of his detractors in here would be off the charts!

if you dont like him personally, thats fine.  and i know most of you freely admit you dont.  but you just look foolish when you downplay his success.. and attribute it to hardly anything more than his competitors choking.  tiger invigorated the game when he came along, on all levels.  hell, the most hallowed golf grounds in all of America hardly even resembles its old self before it was "tiger-proofed."  no courses im aware of have been spieth proofed, or dustin proofed.  and dont argue now that it was only done bc tiger was the "first" big hitter to come along, bc many of you have gone on and on about how jack was just as long, "and if he had todays equipment...." 

since tigers career essentially came to an unexpected, abrupt halt with that thanksgiving night 9 iron a few years back, its hard to make a case for him being the best golfer ever, simply due to his lack of longevity.  but for 10 years starting in 98, he definitely played the best decade of golf that has ever been seen.  a LOT of people have teed off in a LOT of majors over the course of a LOT of years.  its hardly "competitor choking" that tiger owned not only the scoring record in relation to par in ALL 4 majors, but also the winning margin record in all 4 as well.  and he wasnt just on pace to break jacks record, he was on pace to destroy it.  and his winning percentage, routinely playing in only the deepest fields, already destroys jacks. 

so hate him personally all you want.  but each time you take joy in belittling his current results, you should preface your post with "i just dont like him period, but...."

Hawg414

also, i notice i havent seen a mention of jason day blowing up, out of contention, and withdrawing mid round due to injury.  i wonder what would happen on this forum if tiger ever did that?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hawg414 on September 12, 2016, 08:26:28 am
also, i notice i havent seen a mention of jason day blowing up, out of contention, and withdrawing mid round due to injury.  i wonder what would happen on this forum if tiger ever did that?
well, Jason Day didn't screw some of these posters wives.....so, there is that

PP

Hawgndaaz

the guys on tour want him back too. remember, all those young'uns grew up idolizing him.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawg414 on September 12, 2016, 08:26:28 am

You weren't in my living room when he rode off in a cart.  I said at the time, I've said it before in this forum, and I'll say it again...Jason Day is a drama queen.  This thread is about Tiger, but if you want to start one about all the alleged ailments and problems of a 32 year old who almost always has something bothering him or some story about the hardships he has faced, I'll post in it.

DeltaBoy

I believe he about done.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2016, 11:47:22 am
You weren't in my living room when he rode off in a cart.  I said at the time, I've said it before in this forum, and I'll say it again...Jason Day is a drama queen.  This thread is about Tiger, but if you want to start one about all the alleged ailments and problems of a 32 year old who almost always has something bothering him or some story about the hardships he has faced, I'll post in it.

J Day does seem dramatic. Still enjoy is playing but he should hush at this point. he's made it to the top, stop whining.

Wildhog

Would be curious to see how TV ratings have looked since Tiger's decline.

I don't even watch golf anymore.  Ever. 

Ever.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2016, 04:46:30 pm

Ever.

That's okay, I've started watching enough for both of us.

clutch

Ever.

Me either. I used to watch it about every weekend during the summer. Only golf I watched all year was the final round of the Masters and the finals 5-6 holes of the US Open.

I don't really contribute my not watching to no Tiger, because I was a huge fan of golf in general and not just Tiger. I think mine has more to do with the fact that I don't have near as much time to play anymore so I don't have as much interest in watching.

Dillar Dog

Ever.

This is all his fans have these days.

It's crazy how many of then became tv station executives since he left.

EastexHawg

Remember how Tiger was going to expand the game, how many more people were going to watch and play?  It didn't happen.  Tiger didn't create golfers and golf aficionados, he only produced his own fan boys.

In that sense, his long term impact pales alongside Arnie's.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2016, 09:57:34 pm
Remember how Tiger was going to expand the game, how many more people were going to watch and play?  It didn't happen.  Tiger didn't create golfers and golf aficionados, he only produced his own fan boys.

You are out of your mind if you think he didn't grow the game. Problem is, those who picked it up because of him didn't stick with it. Too expensive and time consuming.

clutch

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2016, 09:57:34 pm

I'd disagree with this for sure. I think Tiger definitely expanded the game. Tiger made golf cool to a lot of younger people. Just take Nike golf for example as to Tigers impact on the game. Nike sold millions of Sh***y clubs to golfers all over the world because that was what Tiger used. Tiger made Nike Golf. The next biggest name since Tiger is no doubt Rory. They signed him, and still can barely last a year after Tiger before they decide that golf equipment isn't for them anymore.

That's crazy to think about really. Tiger carries a company for 20 years, as soon as he is away from the game for an extended period of time it falls through because people aren't seeing Tiger hitting that newest driver each week.

HognitiveDissonance

I definitely think Tiger's emergence as a dominant golfer and crossover sports appeal to the general sports populace contributed to the boom of golf course construction from around 1996 - 2006. Many courses, including several in the central Arkansas area were built then. The market was overbuilt, actually. And several of them have gone under around the country as the 'boom' has died and contraction occurred.

Pulled(PP)pork

It's plain silly to not give him some deserved credit for getting people excited to play/watch/learn the game of golf. 

PP

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 13, 2016, 11:04:41 am
I definitely think Tiger's emergence as a dominant golfer and crossover sports appeal to the general sports populace contributed to the boom of golf course construction from around 1996 - 2006. Many courses, including several in the central Arkansas area were built then. The market was overbuilt, actually. And several of them have gone under around the country as the 'boom' has died and contraction occurred.

See: Lindsey apartments. That demographic probably didn't care much about golf pre-2000. Now he's got a 9-holer as a selling point to a subpar apartment unit complex. It's kind of odd, actually.

EastexHawg

Quote from: clutch on September 13, 2016, 10:20:12 am
I'd disagree with this for sure. I think Tiger definitely expanded the game. Tiger made golf cool to a lot of younger people. 

They weren't golf fans, they were Tiger fans.  A lot of golf course developers lost their arses betting on Tiger expanding the game.  The decline didn't even take place after Tiger quit winning, it started in the mid 2000s.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-16/golf-course-closings-outpace-openings-for-eighth-straight-year

The overwhelming majority of the courses that closed during the eight year period described in the article...from 2005 to 2013...were public courses that charged less than $40 for green fees.  These were courses that were going to capitalize on the anticipated "expansion of the game" which never really took place.  Tiger, the First Tee, and so forth were going to cause minorities, inner city kids, and people who had never really watched or played golf to take up the game and expand the market, making money for everyone.  Instead what happened was that a lot of investors lost a ton of money.

Meanwhile, private courses...the people who were playing the game all along, not as a fad...didn't feel nearly the fallout.  Those people were fans of the game of golf, not one player.

Dick's Sporting Goods bought Golf Galaxy because they were going to cash in on Tigermania.  Within a few years they fired the golf pros at all 500 stores...the pros who were going to teach all the "new" golfers who flooded into the game.  Golf equipment manufacturers (Nike, Taylor Made, Adams, etc.) have also lost their arses, gone out of business, or started looking for buyers.

These aren't my opinions, they are facts.

The game didn't expand, Tiger Woods' fan base expanded for a while...then it collapsed, leaving a lot of people who bet on a boom holding the bag.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 13, 2016, 12:04:38 pm
They weren't golf fans, they were Tiger fans.  A lot of golf course developers lost their arses betting on Tiger expanding the game.  The decline didn't even take place after Tiger quit winning, it started in the mid 2000s.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-16/golf-course-closings-outpace-openings-for-eighth-straight-year

The overwhelming majority of the courses that closed during the eight year period described in the article...from 2005 to 2013...were public courses that charged less than $40 for green fees.  These were courses that were going to capitalize on the anticipated "expansion of the game" which never really took place.  Tiger, the First Tee, and so forth were going to cause minorities, inner city kids, and people who had never really watched or played golf to take up the game and expand the market, making money for everyone.  Instead what happened was that a lot of investors lost a ton of money.

Meanwhile, private courses...the people who were playing the game all along, not as a fad...didn't feel nearly the fallout.  Those people were fans of the game of golf, not one player.

Dick's Sporting Goods bought Golf Galaxy because they were going to cash in on Tigermania.  Within a few years they fired the golf pros at all 500 stores...the pros who were going to teach all the "new" golfers who flooded into the game.  Golf equipment manufacturers (Nike, Taylor Made, Adams, etc.) have also lost their arses, gone out of business, or started looking for buyers.

The game didn't expand, Tiger Woods' fan base expanded for a while...then it collapsed, leaving a lot of people who bet on a boom holding the bag.

Taylormade stole a design (slot line technology) from Adams. Adams sued TM, and TM just bought them out.

clutch

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 13, 2016, 12:04:38 pm

Fans of Tiger or fans of golf, there was still a lot of people who found the game because of him. In all actuality, I was probably one of them. Watching Tiger made me want to play golf. Once I started playing golf I started liking golf for the sport it is, and not just because Tiger played it. Sure not all of the Tiger fans stuck to it, but a lot of them did.

Dillar Dog

Sure.  But he's spot on with the rest of the post.

You're better than that.  That's how women argue.

*this post was directed towards hawgnwhatever.

clutch

Just to clarify, I don't think Tiger carried golf in any way. I think golf would still be a popular sport had he not come along, but I think he definitely helped to bring a new line of golfers into the sport. Some see that as a bad thing, but for 10 years or so the game was exploding. It had its perks and its drawbacks. Tons of new golf stuff popped up, but it also crowded courses with players who didn't really know how to act on a golf course.

I do think that he alone made Nike Golf what it was though. They really did make a lot of junk clubs, but I saw tons of sets of Nike clubs on the course daily. That was because people wanted to play what Tiger played.

I agree with most of what you said though. Golf will be fine without him. Lots of new, exciting, young players have taken the reigns and will continue to carry on the tour just fine. I just disagree with the fact that Tiger didn't expand the game.

Pulled(PP)pork

it was definitely pushed towards the minorities

PP

Boarcephus

One thing he has done is bring weights and strength training to the PGA.  He came out of Stanford a skinny kid and next thing you knew he looked like a middle linebacker.  Rory and Jason Day are just a couple of the pros who have bought into it and there others. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 14, 2016, 04:52:59 pm
One thing he has done is bring weights and strength training to the PGA.  He came out of Stanford a skinny kid and next thing you knew he looked like a middle linebacker.  Rory and Jason Day are just a couple of the pros who have bought into it and there others.
and banging hot chicks

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 15, 2016, 07:37:51 am
and banging hot chicks

PP

LOL!  He and Dustin Johnson have set the bar pretty high in that category.  ;)

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 15, 2016, 08:30:56 am
LOL!  He and Dustin Johnson have set the bar pretty high in that category.  ;)
DJ took it a step further (or not) and banged fellow players wives

PP

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 15, 2016, 08:46:55 am

PP

has this ever been confirmed? I remember KodQ saying the same (rest in peace)

Pulled(PP)pork

he's not good as gold?

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 15, 2016, 08:46:55 am

PP

Didn't Tiger bang Dufner's wife?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 15, 2016, 09:31:17 am
Didn't Tiger bang Dufner's wife?
I think Tiger banged half of the lower 50.....

PP