Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Open Championship: Official Thread

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, July 12, 2016, 01:49:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Iwastherein1969

Is Dan Hicks dumb or just plain stupid ?  Speaking after today's play is over, Hicks said "the additional pressure of the specter of Annika Sorenstam being the only Swede to have won a Major in golf" ??  If Hicks seriously thinks Henrick Stenson is worried about the shadow of Annika Sorenstam, put the 'super dry' tampon on Hicks. Good lord almighty, as much as I love to watch Stacy and now Gaby, the women's game is not in the same universe as the men's game.

Prediction. The master of the short game takes it from the ultra talented long iron hitting Swede. Phil shoots 69 tomorrow, while the Stenson shoots 72 to 73. As far as ball striking, there's none better than Henrick, but he'll make a couple of mistakes off the tee tomorrow that will allow Phil to get his nose in front and stay there. Fun stuff to watch.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 16, 2016, 08:20:16 am
Rory is toast.  Can't putt.  +2 thru 3 and even for the tournament.
is there anyone who played morning afternoon on Thur-Fri that has a remote shot at winning ?  This tournament was won on the luck of the draw. The rain of Friday morning was just a minor inconvenience but the wind and the rain blowing sideways of that afternoon killed whatever shot guys like Rory and Jason had. But that's the British Open, the weather could have just as easily went the other way.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 16, 2016, 01:55:06 pm
is there anyone who played morning afternoon on Thur-Fri that has a remote shot at winning ?  This tournament was won on the luck of the draw. The rain of Friday morning was just a minor inconvenience but the wind and the rain blowing sideways of that afternoon killed whatever shot guys like Rory and Jason had. But that's the British Open, the weather could have just as easily went the other way.

Have to say I agree with you.  Phil hit the jackpot on tee times but then again as you said, it's the luck of the draw.  Rory's putting is maddening though.  He had a 15 foot birdie putt early in the round and 3 putted it. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Any of you guys watching this thing this morning?  Stenson and Phil are putting on a show.  Both at -15 and 8 strokes clear of the closest players.  One more thing, if you get pissed and snap a club are you fined??  Some guy named Pieterson (sp?) did that and Miller said, after a good shot, that should help him pay the fine. 

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2016, 10:00:55 am
Any of you guys watching this thing this morning?  Stenson and Phil are putting on a show.  Both at -15 and 8 strokes clear of the closest players.  One more thing, if you get pissed and snap a club are you fined??  Some guy named Pieterson (sp?) did that and Miller said, after a good shot, that should help him pay the fine. 

Well, they(PGA) fined Rory $25,000 for throwing his club in a lake a few years ago, so I assume the R&A doesn't like it either.

PonderinHog

It's been incredible, so far.  And Stenson takes the lead...  Back nine should be entertaining.

ronmahony

Man Phil is playing perfect, and Stenson is still right there. That in and out chip on two which was beautiful, and a couple of near misses and Phil would be three shots in the lead. This is some great golf. Ha yeah I saw that guy break his iron. I have wanted to do that a few times just couldn't afford it.lol.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

ronmahony

They keep this up they might both beat 63. I can't believe Stenson has never won a major.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Pulled(PP)pork

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 17, 2016, 11:12:16 am
Ugh, stuck at work

PP

Hate that for you because this is one of the better ones I can remember.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2016, 11:24:07 am
Hate that for you because this is one of the better ones I can remember.
looks like it

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Boarcephus

Pulled(PP)pork

Boarcephus

Great up and down for birdie for Stenson and Phil missed an eagle by a hair. Up 2, 2 to go.  Have to admit I'm pulling for Stenson.

Pulled(PP)pork

I called a European winning this, was pulling for FIGJAM though

PP

ricepig

Wow, has he ever putted like this? It must have been the 9.5-10 running greens.....I wanted Phil to win, but Stenson deserved to.

Iwastherein1969

anyone watching golf at it's best being played since 1977 at Carnoustie (Watson v Nicklaus) think Tiger Woods is at home thinking, "you know, these guys kinda suck, I'm ready to go kick some ass now"....Woods would have not made the cut on that course the way he drives the ball and he's not long enough off the tee with his infamous "stinger 1-iron" to be competitive....nope, Eldrick is a lot of things, and one of them is intelligent and he's not going to embarrass himself by taking on the likes of the talent that is out there right now

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2016, 10:13:29 am
Well, they(PGA) fined Rory $25,000 for throwing his club in a lake a few years ago, so I assume the R&A doesn't like it either.

Rory snapped a 3w on Thursday or Friday after he pushed a shot from the middle of the fairway, can't remember which round it was. Wonder if they hit him for another $25k this year.

Iwastherein1969

listening to his acceptance speech makes me glad that Henrik won....that's the most impressive golf I've ever seen played, ever....why ?  because he was battling an icon in golf for the past 36 holes and you can just see that Henrik is a genuinely good guy....proud of him

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 12:50:15 pm
Rory snapped a 3w on Thursday or Friday after he pushed a shot from the middle of the fairway, can't remember which round it was. Wonder if they hit him for another $25k this year.
I'm thinking that McIlroy, as much as I pull for the guy has some problems in his life. I heard Miller saying that McIlroy needed to stay out of the weight room so much and I agree. One's body does not change as much as his unless he's had a little help. Just like Tiger and a few others. Tiger's use has torn his body down and the same thing will happen to Rory if he continues with that needle and hours in the weight room.

Boarcephus

What's amazing is Phil was 11 strokes ahead of 3rd and still got beat by 3.  This was one of the most enjoyable Opens I've had the chance to watch. 

Dr. Starcs

Was fully expecting Stenson to drop trou during his speech.

PonderinHog

How many runners-up is that for Phil and when did Stenson learn to putt?  Friday night ???

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 17, 2016, 12:53:50 pm
I'm thinking that McIlroy, as much as I pull for the guy has some problems in his life. I heard Miller saying that McIlroy needed to stay out of the weight room so much and I agree. One's body does not change as much as his unless he's had a little help. Just like Tiger and a few others. Tiger's use has torn his body down and the same thing will happen to Rory if he continues with that needle and hours in the weight room.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm speaking of the steroid talk here, not that he needs to stay out of the weight room. That's a different topic.

Rory's change really isn't anything that drastic. He's not huge. He's just in really good shape. Anyone who has busted their tail in a gym knows that it is definitely possible to achieve what he has naturally. It was probably actually a pretty easy accomplishment for him. He was carrying around a little too much body fat before. A good weight program and great nutrition and he was the perfect candidate for a nice body transformation.

A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to make a transition like that when you are doing everything right. Most people think it's a lot harder than it is because they just don't understand how to accomplish it. They go to the gym, not really knowing what they are doing, have lousy nutrition, and get discouraged because they don't make the changes they want. These guys have the worlds best trainers and nutritionists available to them though. If you have all that at your disposal, it's not that hard to accomplish.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 01:06:59 pm
I don't agree with that at all. I'm speaking of the steroid talk here, not that he needs to stay out of the weight room. That's a different topic.

Rory's change really isn't anything that drastic. He's not huge. He's just in really good shape. Anyone who has busted their tail in a gym knows that it is definitely possible to achieve what he has naturally. It was probably actually a pretty easy accomplishment for him. He was carrying around a little too much body fat before. A good weight program and great nutrition and he was the perfect candidate for a nice body transformation.

A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to make a transition like that when you are doing everything right. Most people think it's a lot harder than it is because they just don't understand how to accomplish it. They go to the gym, not really knowing what they are doing, have lousy nutrition, and get discouraged because they don't make the changes they want. These guys have the worlds best trainers and nutritionists available to them though. If you have all that at your disposal, it's not that hard to accomplish.
other than tiger, who else in really good shape has dominated for years.

PP

ronmahony

That was a hell of a match. How often are you gonna shoot a 65 and get beat by three shots? I just believe it was Stensons time. Phil missed three or four putts that rolled around the hole them lipped out. More if you count that fine chip on 2 I believe it was, plus the putt that rolled around on Thursday to keep him from shooting 62. Then Srenson makes the same kind of putt on 18 to hit 63 and it rolls in! I don't believe I have ever seen two play as well in any kind of tournament. I sure was pulling for Phil, at 46 he can't have to many more opportunities.

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 17, 2016, 01:21:53 pm
other than tiger, who else in really good shape has dominated for years.

PP

I don't know. I'm not trying to say that it makes someone be able to dominate. All I'm saying is that it's not that hard of a transformation to make naturally.

Whether he uses or not, I don't know. I don't think he does though. He's just a smaller guy who is very lean. It looks like he's carrying a lot more muscle mass than he really is because he's only 5'9".

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 01:58:39 pm
I don't know. I'm not trying to say that it makes someone be able to dominate. All I'm saying is that it's not that hard of a transformation to make naturally.

Whether he uses or not, I don't know. I don't think he does though. He's just a smaller guy who is very lean. It looks like he's carrying a lot more muscle mass than he really is because he's only 5'9".
well, my point was, there was a lot of dominating people who probably couldn't run a 5k if everything depended on it....back in the day

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 01:06:59 pm

I agree with this.  It's not like Rory is tied to an 8-5 job like most people here.  He's not selling cars, insurance, or working in a hospital and having to get his workout in before he goes to work, after work or on weekends.  His sole purpose in life is to get in the best physical condition he can get in to play golf.  He's 27 years old, in the prime of life and has access to the finest nutritionists, personal trainers and equipment in the world.  I'm not surprised he looks like he does and you only have to look as far as Jason Day to see a very similar, if somewhat larger, golfer. Tiger started it and others have taken it and run with it. 

Dr. Starcs

You think Shane O Mac helped with Rory's transformation?

majestic

That was awesome! When the Swede holed that put on, I think, 14 from 51 feet, off the green, I figured Phil was done. The bird on 18 was just unreal. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

EastexHawg

Phil is snake bit in majors.  Two years ago he shoots 66 or 67 in the final round and something like 15 under overall in the PGA only to lose by one when Rory goes off on the back nine to beat him.  Last year he shoots one of the lowest 72 hole scores in the history of the Masters and finishes second when Spieth puts on one of the greatest putting displays in history.

Maybe the only better putting exhibition in modern majors history was the one Retief Goosen put on at the U.S. Open several years ago to deny Phil there.

And now...today.  Stenson was infallible in every aspect.  No one shoots 65 in 15-20 mph winds on the final day to get to 17 under in a major and loses.

As much as I love Jack and admire Tom Watson, what we saw this week was much, much better than that Duel In The Sun.  Watson shot 268 and Nicklaus 269 in almost unprecedentedly warm, sunny, calm conditions on a par 70 golf course.  This was 264 and 267 in at least three days of wind and some rain on par 71 Troon. 

No one has ever played better in a major and lost.  It has to be incredibly disappointing for Phil.

EastexHawg

As for Tiger, when he shot a score like Phil's he won by 12-15 shots.  If Stenson had been paired with Tiger today Henrik would have first pissed down his leg, then gone out and shot 82.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 17, 2016, 12:53:50 pm

If by "help" you mean exercise and nutrition I agree.  If you mean anabolic "help" I will vehemently disagree.

Rory's biggest problem is he is a d!ck.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

clutch

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 17, 2016, 03:01:03 pm
well, my point was, there was a lot of dominating people who probably couldn't run a 5k if everything depended on it....back in the day

PP

I agree. That's a completely different topic than the one I'm talking about though. While it does help to be in shape, golf is still a game that can be played at a very high level by someone not very fit. Which brings me to another reason why I don't think Rory would use steroids for performance enhancement.

He was already playing at a really high level before. He was already very long off the tee. Contrary to popular belief, steroids aren't going to add much, if any, length to a golfers game that he couldn't come close to getting just by a good natural workout routine.

Same goes for baseball for that matter, there were a lot of studies that showed that steroids added an average of around 10 ft to a MLB players pop ups. That made a huge difference to a lot of baseball players though because it was turning 10-15 routine fly balls from previous years into homeruns once they started using. 10-15 extra homeruns a year is good for millions and millions of dollars. There's so many other factors in golf that are so much more important than an extra 20 yards off the tee though that make steroids a lot less impactful in golf. I'd see them as being more of a negative thing actually. They are going to cause the loss of a lot of flexibility a lot of times.

As I already mentioned, he has access to the best trainers and nutritionists in the world. They would definitely give him this advice. For a player that is already playing at a level that Rory was before his body transformation it would make no sense to use. The risk far outweighs the rewards.

I think his workout routine/body change, has far more to do with him wanting to change his appearance than it does with him wanting to improve his golf game. The dude was making millions of dollars per year and looked like a puffy chess club kid with a mop on his head. He wanted to start living the lifestyle that matched his bank account. Sure, he could pull girls on his money alone, but transforming his body into the best physical shape he could get into would make living that lifestyle a lot easier. Not to mention I think it added a lot of confidence to him.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 06:45:59 pm

I think his workout routine/body change, has far more to do with him wanting to change his appearance than it does with him wanting to improve his golf game. The dude was making millions of dollars per year and looked like a puffy chess club kid with a mop on his head. He wanted to start living the lifestyle that matched his bank account. Sure, he could pull girls on his money alone, but transforming his body into the best physical shape he could get into would make living that lifestyle a lot easier. Not to mention I think it added a lot of confidence to him.
yeah, after a bit of thought, i think he enjoys a strut around the pool at Las Vegas...I just want the young man ( not as young as he used to be) will regain his form because I firmly believe when all the top players are playing as well as they can, McIlroy's game is a head above everyone else.  Also, I think Spieth's ball striking is average as average can be. Last year Justin had a 'hot putter' and won quite a bit, but I don't see him as the savior to golf as many commentators do....Spieth is a top 20 type player, maybe top 10, but that's about it

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 17, 2016, 06:59:13 pm
yeah, after a bit of thought, i think he enjoys a strut around the pool at Las Vegas...I just want the young man ( not as young as he used to be) will regain his form because I firmly believe when all the top players are playing as well as they can, McIlroy's game is a head above everyone else.  Also, I think Spieth's ball striking is average as average can be. Last year Justin had a 'hot putter' and won quite a bit, but I don't see him as the savior to golf as many commentators do....Spieth is a top 20 type player, maybe top 10, but that's about it

I agree. Rory has by far the most natural ability in my opinion. I think he's satisfied with where he's at though. He doesn't have the desire that Tiger did to be the greatest. There's nothing wrong with that though. He's a young guy with hundreds of millions of dollars and living life the way he wants to. If that's the life he wants to live, then more power to him. I can't say that I blame him. I bet it's a lot more fun than grinding all the time and obsessing over being the best.

I think Speith is a top 5 talent though. Putting is part of the game, the most important part in many peoples opinion, and when he's putting well he has shown that he is just about unbeatable. I honestly think that Speith's problem right now is that he is trying to speed up his play. All of the slow play comments eventually got to him and he's mentioned that he is trying to play faster. I just don't think that is his game right now. He's doing something that is uncomfortable to him and it is having a negative impact. Props to him for trying to fix something that was working for him but bothering other players though. Not many guys on tour would do that.

Boarcephus

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 07:45:41 pm
I agree. Rory has by far the most natural ability in my opinion. I think he's satisfied with where he's at though. He doesn't have the desire that Tiger did to be the greatest. There's nothing wrong with that though. He's a young guy with hundreds of millions of dollars and living life the way he wants to. If that's the life he wants to live, then more power to him. I can't say that I blame him. I bet it's a lot more fun than grinding all the time and obsessing over being the best

I agree with the talent evaluation but not the part where he's satisfied with his place in this world.  After watching him on Feherty and on the course, he's one competitive sob.  I think his not winning lately is eating at him and he's also lost his spot on top of the world rankings and has slipped to number 4 and thus the broken club or two.  Not sure I've ever seen anyone as mentally strong and driven as Tiger and Jack.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 17, 2016, 12:36:20 pm
anyone watching golf at it's best being played since 1977 at Carnoustie (Watson v Nicklaus) think Tiger Woods is at home thinking, "you know, these guys kinda suck, I'm ready to go kick some ass now"....Woods would have not made the cut on that course the way he drives the ball and he's not long enough off the tee with his infamous "stinger 1-iron" to be competitive....nope, Eldrick is a lot of things, and one of them is intelligent and he's not going to embarrass himself by taking on the likes of the talent that is out there right now

Not to be overly picky, but it was Turnberry, not Carnoustie.  Easy mistake to make; those Scottish links pastures all look alike.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2016, 08:15:52 pm
I agree with the talent evaluation but not the part where he's satisfied with his place in this world.  After watching him on Feherty and on the course, he's one competitive sob.  I think his not winning lately is eating at him and he's also lost his spot on top of the world rankings and has slipped to number 4 and thus the broken club or two.  Not sure I've ever seen anyone as mentally strong and driven as Tiger and Jack.

I think he wants to win, and probably wants to win badly. He wants to be the best, but I think he'd rather live a certain lifestyle than put in the work required to reach that level. I believe he's extremely competitive, but I think he wants to be able to win without putting in all the required work. It's frustrating him that he isn't doing it right now. For this reason I think we will continue to see him be a streaky player. He will go on sprees where everything is working for him and he's ripping the field apart and then he will go on sprees where people are scratching their heads and wondering what's wrong with him.

GoHogs1091

The 10 Birdies today by Stenson was impressive, but an aspect that was just as impressive was his Greens Hit in Regulation % for the tournament.  Johnny Miller stated that Stenson's Greens Hit in Regulation % for the 4 Rounds was 78%.

That is approaching what Bernhard Langer does in regards to Greens Hit in Regulation %.  Langer is usually at around 80% (he is currently at 78.93% for the entire season).  If I am not mistaken, the leader on the PGA Tour in regards to that aspect is usually around 71%.

Very good performance by Stenson.  He showed that Day, Spieth, and McIlroy have some suspect aspects in their game that they need to improve.

EastexHawg

Before today the lowest 72 hole score anyone had ever shot in a major was 265 by David Toms in the 2001 PGA.  The player who finished second that week, one stroke behind?  Phil Mickelson.

Mickelson has now shot two of the seven lowest totals in majors history.  He didn't win either time.

Boarcephus

Quote from: clutch on July 17, 2016, 09:38:29 pm
For this reason I think we will continue to see him be a streaky player. He will go on sprees where everything is working for him and he's ripping the field apart and then he will go on sprees where people are scratching their heads and wondering what's wrong with him.

Like missing the cut at the US Open?  ;) 

I still think Rory is a bit of a head case.  How many 27 years olds change putting grips then change back in a month?  That's something you don't really see until they get older and the yips set in.  When his putts are dropping he's the best in the world but when they're not, he's beatable.  He outplayed Jason Day earlier in the year in their mano y mano match and got beat by one because Day could make the 10 foot putts and he couldn't make the 5 footers. Still like watching the guy.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 18, 2016, 07:00:08 am
Like missing the cut at the US Open?  ;) 

I still think Rory is a bit of a head case.  How many 27 years olds change putting grips then change back in a month?  That's something you don't really see until they get older and the yips set in.  When his putts are dropping he's the best in the world but when they're not, he's beatable.  He outplayed Jason Day earlier in the year in their mano y mano match and got beat by one because Day could make the 10 foot putts and he couldn't make the 5 footers. Still like watching the guy.

I think Stenson showed what happens when your putts are dropping.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 17, 2016, 04:34:03 pm
Phil is snake bit in majors.  Two years ago he shoots 66 or 67 in the final round and something like 15 under overall in the PGA only to lose by one when Rory goes off on the back nine to beat him.  Last year he shoots one of the lowest 72 hole scores in the history of the Masters and finishes second when Spieth puts on one of the greatest putting displays in history.

Maybe the only better putting exhibition in modern majors history was the one Retief Goosen put on at the U.S. Open several years ago to deny Phil there.

And now...today.  Stenson was infallible in every aspect.  No one shoots 65 in 15-20 mph winds on the final day to get to 17 under in a major and loses.

As much as I love Jack and admire Tom Watson, what we saw this week was much, much better than that Duel In The Sun.  Watson shot 268 and Nicklaus 269 in almost unprecedentedly warm, sunny, calm conditions on a par 70 golf course.  This was 264 and 267 in at least three days of wind and some rain on par 71 Troon. 

No one has ever played better in a major and lost.  It has to be incredibly disappointing for Phil.
bookend career so far

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 17, 2016, 10:04:12 pm
The 10 Birdies today by Stenson was impressive, but an aspect that was just as impressive was his Greens Hit in Regulation % for the tournament.  Johnny Miller stated that Stenson's Greens Hit in Regulation % for the 4 Rounds was 78%.

That is approaching what Bernhard Langer does in regards to Greens Hit in Regulation %.  Langer is usually at around 80% (he is currently at 78.93% for the entire season).  If I am not mistaken, the leader on the PGA Tour in regards to that aspect is usually around 71%.

Very good performance by Stenson.  He showed that Day, Spieth, and McIlroy have some suspect aspects in their game that they need to improve.
again, you would have BL baby if he asked

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2016, 07:05:07 am
I think Stenson showed what happens when your putts are dropping.

And Jordan last year.