Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In college baseball, can the pitcher bat or does there have to be a DH?

Started by Anon2, June 15, 2012, 09:42:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JONAS

sugartownhog

I was thinking, and I may be wrong, that you could bat you're pitcher but he was listed as the pitcher.

What that means is if the pitcher is pulled the DH is no longer available meaning all of you're pitchers must bat from that point forward.

In essence, if you start with a DH you can have a DH in the lineup throughout, of you don't, you're stuck with a pitcher... whether he can hit or not.

SPAL

The pitcher position can bat.

Clax10

GAHOG

The pitcher can bat and, therefore, the lineup could have only 9 players listed (no DH). The pitcher can also be the pitcher/DH. When the starting pitcher/DH is removed from the game as a pitcher, he can stay as the DH and the relief pitcher can be added to the lineup (10 players total).

chiefsfan

Quote from: GAHOG on June 16, 2012, 09:59:40 am
The pitcher can bat and, therefore, the lineup could have only 9 players listed (no DH). The pitcher can also be the pitcher/DH. When the starting pitcher/DH is removed from the game as a pitcher, he can stay as the DH and the relief pitcher can be added to the lineup (10 players total).

This is correct, this is the rule that is unique to college.  Once a pitcher leaves, the coach has the option of keeping him as the DH, but he must inform the umpire prior to taking him out of the game, almost like a double switch.

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mhuff

Quote from: sugartownhog on June 15, 2012, 10:19:06 pm
I was thinking, and I may be wrong, that you could bat you're pitcher but he was listed as the pitcher.

What that means is if the pitcher is pulled the DH is no longer available meaning all of you're pitchers must bat from that point forward.

In essence, if you start with a DH you can have a DH in the lineup throughout, of you don't, you're stuck with a pitcher... whether he can hit or not.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the original post Anon2   

+1

ListenHereMister

mhuff