Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 09:36:16 am

Smart Phone Upgrade

Started by HawgWild, October 07, 2017, 11:00:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

I've got a pair of LG2 phones that'll be 4 years old in a few months and am considering upgrading to new phones. Can I just buy a network compatible Smart phone outright and put in my current simm cards? I'm just fine with my current data plan and am afraid I might lose some discounts I'm getting that are no longer applicable if I go to AT&T to do this.

TIA

Hogs run wild

my phones is like 4-5 years old just cuz i don't want to pay $800 for a phone. even with monthly installments, it'll be like $900. if my phone breaks, i'm screwed.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

HawgWild

Good info to know. Thanks for the response.

HawgWild

That's good information. Thanks. Right now I'm tracking the universal unlocked versions of the LG V30 and LG G6. Do you have any idea just how intrusive the ads are on the "carrier unlocked" version of these rather than the ones with no adware? You can save a little money going with the ones with ads.

Augustus

Also, to your question about taking the SIM card out of the old phone and putting into the new phone... that probably won't work.

Your 4 year old phones likely use a regular SIM card size... the new(er) phones the past couple of years the SIM cards have gotten smaller - new sizes: Micro SIM and Nano SIM

Here is a quick list but already looks to be outdated (and not comprehensive):
https://www.wirelesstraveler.com/device-models-and-sim-cards/

But AT&T has always been good to, issuing a new SIM card size I needed, and migrated all contacts/messages/etc over to the new SIM card

HawgWild

Good point. An earlier source I checked showed my current phone using a nano card. Your link shows it has having a micro one. I'm going to need to look into this. Thanks.

HawgWild

You're right as well. I really don't need the latest and greatest. Primarily I was attracted to the V30 for the larger screen but since most of my time is spent at home, I use my IPad or desktop PC for most tasks. It's only when we're on road trips that I use my phone that much.

HawgWild

Stopped by AT&T today to ask them about switching from a micro to nano SIM. They held up something that looked like a hole punch and said they'd trim it down for me. And, if they messed it up, they'd replace it with a new one. Sounds like a deal to me. I knew if I tried doing that as seen in several YouTube videos I would surely mess it up.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: HawgWild on October 07, 2017, 11:00:35 am
I've got a pair of LG2 phones that'll be 4 years old in a few months and am considering upgrading to new phones. Can I just buy a network compatible Smart phone outright and put in my current simm cards? I'm just fine with my current data plan and am afraid I might lose some discounts I'm getting that are no longer applicable if I go to AT&T to do this.

TIA

Go to Wal Mart (or store of your choice) and buy a BLU brand phone. They are nice little phones. They have several different size options. I bought the 6" version $125, I've had it for 3 years. Nary a problem.

It isn't quite as easy as just plugging the SIM card in, you must also go to your account on AT&T's website and go to "register a new phone" and tie the SIM card to your new phone. Relatively easy process, but not automatic.

HawgWild

FWIW, I got the new phone at B&H Photo for $529, free shipping, no taxes. Same phone from AT&T would have cost $585, plus taxes, plus upgrade fee, plus an additional $15 + taxes per month monthly charge for a "qualified service plan". An AT&T service rep trimmed my SIM card and transferred my contacts for no charge.

All told, my savings came to $380 in year one. Not a bad deal.