Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball vs Football...

Started by oldbooniehog, March 18, 2018, 07:20:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

I gave up on Hog football in 2006, just a few hours before Arkansas took the field against Florida in the SEC title game.

I had been on a high for a couple weeks before that game. But just hours before kickoff, I had a sudden "moment of clarity."

Suddenly, I knew, without a single shadow of a doubt, that Arkansas would lose later that night to Florida, because every single bit of Hog history told me that they would choke, and lose, and fail to win the SEC Championship, because that WAS Arkansas' football legacy going back to 1965.

Ever since that moment of realization back in 2006, I've expected Arkansas football to fall short, to fail, and to choke away every single chance for true achievement. And I've not been disappointed, not one single time.

At least Arkansas basketball had a legitimate, non-arguable National Championship in 1994, and came within one half of a basketball game of another National Championship in 1995.

The record for Hog basketball had been established, written in stone.

But now, some 24 years later, my faith for Hog basketball is waning, big time.

I know it doesn't take near as long to turn around a basketball program. You need just 3 to 5 great players, not 20-something like in football.

But nothing, and I do mean NOTHING in the last almost quarter century of Arkansas basketball makes me believe the Hogs will EVER return to the heights they achieved with Nolan Richardson or even Eddie Sutton at the helm.

The last Sweet Sixteen appearance was 22 freaking years ago. 22 years. That's 2 DECADES plus 2 years.

Are we doomed to wander in the wilderness for years and years with Mike Anderson?

Or will Arkansas once again get a coach capable of returning the Hogs to their former glory?

I hope so. I really do hope so. At least once before I die.

But my logical mind tells me no. Arkansas basketball will NOT rise from its ashes, at least not in the foreseeable future.

And that makes me sad.

I cannot explain how sad that makes me.

WorfHog

You don't sound like much of a fan.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: WorfHog on March 18, 2018, 07:59:56 pm
You don't sound like much of a fan.

I swear we have some of the biggest drama queens.

HogBreath

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 18, 2018, 07:20:36 pm

At least Arkansas basketball had a legitimate, non-arguable National Championship in 1994, and came within one half of a basketball game of another National Championship in 1995.

The record for Hog basketball had been established, written in stone.

But now, some 24 years later, my faith for Hog basketball is waning, big time.

Good news..next year is THAT year..the one you've waited for.  CMA has got it all figured out.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

From Tusk Till Dawn

Redwolves could use some fans, if its soo bad perhaps give them a try

Boardon Hamsay

This one goes out to the OP who clearly will never love this way again....

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Pinto

Dear God you're a miserable person

RacinRazorback

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 18, 2018, 09:25:21 pm
Arkansas basketball died with increased officiating emphasis on hand checks.

Nostalgia -- and nothing else -- has kept us trying a style of basketball that hasn't been strategically effective for >20 years.

LAME.

EXACTLY!!