Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st in state commit

Started by WOOPIGDOOIE, March 10, 2018, 02:33:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

University of Fayetteville? I'll forgive him.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2018, 02:35:47 pm

Well, he's from South Arkansas, LZH told him that's what the name was. Congrats to him, he's speed for sure.

The_Boot_stops_here

Cool. No surprise. Hopefully there are 7 more to follow

Trey1981

Congrats to Malik. I am always happy for the kids especially those that live in state and grow up as Arkansas fans. That said, can someone help me better understand this one? We are his only offer and I cannot recall a situation like this. Again, I mean no disrespect or ill will. Just trying to understand the rationale. Are we just that much better at locating and identifying talent?

ricepig

Quote from: Trey1981 on March 10, 2018, 03:21:21 pm
Congrats to Malik. I am always happy for the kids especially those that live in state and grow up as Arkansas fans. That said, can someone help me better understand this one? We are his only offer and I cannot recall a situation like this. Again, I mean no disrespect or ill will. Just trying to understand the rationale. Are we just that much better at locating and identifying talent?

Yes

HawgHeadCheese

I think he had a great Jr. Day and got offered. He plays in a small area probably hasn't gotten much attention.

liljo

Yes. As a matter of fact, we are. You've got to be going to Rison to get to Rison. It's like the Ferrell kid out of Fordyce. If these kids lived in a big metro area liked Dallas, there would be dozens of scouts looking at them all the time. There is just so much talent in D/FW, and it's easy to get in and out of and see multiple kids while there.

I love seeing these small town Arkansas kids get a chance.

Wooooooo Pig! Soooieeeee! Thanks for joining Razorback Nation, Malik!
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 10, 2018, 03:26:28 pm
I think he had a great Jr. Day and got offered. He plays in a small area probably hasn't gotten much attention.

He ran 4.39 at Arkansas' camp last summer, Morris is wanting speed.

Hogberry Snortcake

SooieGeneris

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2018, 03:31:35 pm
He ran 4.39 at Arkansas' camp last summer, Morris is wanting speed.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that he is a tall CB, over 6'. Comes in handy vs all those big wideouts in the SEC..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

jgphillips3

Good athlete, plenty of speed and an Arkansas kid...what's not to love?!  Welcome to the Hogs! 

redeye

Players in South Arkansas are often overlooked, so I'm just happy Morris isn't doing that.

You may remember another great player from Fordyce named Bear Bryant.  He was before my time, but I hear he was pretty good.

Dark Helmet Hog

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

I graduated from Rison & go to many of their games. Saw Chavis last year. Good looking kid. Hope he has a breakout senior year & an even better career with the hogs!

And yes, there isn't much to compare to small town football on Friday nights.

RaisinHog

Good player with good measurables  but will deff be a project in my opinion

liljo

Quote from: 1dayinthelifeofporkiepig on March 10, 2018, 06:36:47 pm
I graduated from Rison & go to many of their games. Saw Chavis last year. Good looking kid. Hope he has a breakout senior year & an even better career with the hogs!

And yes, there isn't much to compare to small town football on Friday nights.

I'm going to try to make it down for the Rison-Fordyce game. That is one of the best rivalries in the state. I attended Rison from 2nd through 4th grade, and that was back in '67-'69. That game was already a huge rivalry.

Wildcats Forever--Forever Wildcats.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

hawginbigd1

I believe this to be one of the best in- state classes since the 08-09 class, Morris needs to have his fence builders working overtime, they need to keep these 9, 10, or 11 kids at home. Our success the past 18-20 years has come from strong in-state recruiting classes. Probably 98 was the last successful team that didn't have the base core of studs being in-state recruits.

hawgfan4life

The good thing about Rison over many small schools is that Coach Toddy is very tough and demands players meet a certain standard.  No matter who the player is or how great they could be, they are held to that standard and expected to meet the mark.  Kid likely won't come in with a big attitude because he was spoiled being a big fish in a small pond.

forrest city joe

The one thing this kid has is great speed.and coach Chad Morris said it best.if you don't have speed,you are chasing speed.i hear this kid ran a 4.39.that is fast folks.now the key is to develop his talent as a football player.

Tusks

Another great safety for a program that had forgotten the position the last 5 years.

And a program that's going have an NFL HOF Safety soon.

The better the safeties the better the defense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

TheRazorback500

I deliver to Rison and all the fellows down at the local convenience store tell me Chavis is the real deal. Welcome aboard! WPS
Do you wanna get Rocked?

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The_Boot_stops_here

Chavis picked up an offer from Memphis yesterday

AirWarren

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2018, 02:35:47 pm

University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Or UAF as it's commonly referred outside of Arkansas

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on March 10, 2018, 05:58:13 pm
Players in South Arkansas are often overlooked, so I'm just happy Morris isn't doing that.

You may remember another great player from Fordyce named Bear Bryant.  He was before my time, but I hear he was pretty good.

South Arkansas players are not overlooked. There have been a lot over the years at the UA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on March 14, 2018, 09:59:26 am
University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Or UAF as it's commonly referred outside of Arkansas

I've been all over the country and not once have I heard anyone say UAF anywhere outside of Arkansas. The only place I've even seen it is in the ADG.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 14, 2018, 10:48:07 am
I've been all over the country and not once have I heard anyone say UAF anywhere outside of Arkansas. The only place I've even seen it is in the ADG.

This.  Self-sabotage by the LR crowd. 

WPS, Malik Chavis. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on March 14, 2018, 11:27:17 am

WPS, Malik Chavis.
Oh come on. I live in central Arkansas and never have I once called it the UAF. I've also never heard any of my (large number of) friends call it that either. I only really see it referred to that in the ADG.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on March 14, 2018, 11:27:17 am

I guess you want to argue about the GSD as well. SMDH

bennyl08

He has CB speed to go along with good size. In his highlights, you don't get to see how loose his hips are because as a runner, he gets north-south. Most of his highlights were RB so I'd guess that he'll have a bit of a learning curve to playing DB full time but a 6'2 player who runs a legit sub 4.5 forty time is usually somebody who's at least worth an offer and a chance.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Colton Jackson had only one offer out of high school, us. One service had him as a 4*. Malik got an offer from Memphis after our offer, so he's not a one offer recruit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Colton-Jackson-34547?Institution=24924

liljo

Took the occasion to ride my Harley down to Rison today. It had been many years since I was down that way. A car wash sits where our house used to be. The new high school is really nice and the football field looks great. Wildcat Pride is seen everywhere.

The old grade school building is still standing.

Football is absolutely king in Rison. I know that community is so proud of Malik. Fayetteville will be a HUGE change. I hope he has a great career.

WPS

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 14, 2018, 01:58:47 pm
He has CB speed to go along with good size. In his highlights, you don't get to see how loose his hips are because as a runner, he gets north-south. Most of his highlights were RB so I'd guess that he'll have a bit of a learning curve to playing DB full time but a 6'2 player who runs a legit sub 4.5 forty time is usually somebody who's at least worth an offer and a chance.

I love when folks use this terminology with high school juniors.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

carolinahogger

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 11, 2018, 03:32:39 pm
The one thing this kid has is great speed.and coach Chad Morris said it best.if you don't have speed,you are chasing speed.i hear this kid ran a 4.39.that is fast folks.now the key is to develop his talent as a football player.

If you don't have capitalization and spacing, you are chasing capitalization and spacing.

I just made that up.  Carry on.