Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Soccer Thread 3.0

Started by Cotton, February 27, 2018, 11:20:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cotton

Apparently we've lost the soccer thread a couple times now so I'll just go with a clean slate. Would like to get the banter going again this spring and into the world cup this summer.

I actively watch Premier League, La Liga, Liga MX, and some MLS, Bundesliga, CONCACAF/CONMEBOL. I have teams I support, but I'm a fan of the sport in general and enjoy watching any good match-up (or even bad ones if there's not much else on.)

Please refrain from any negative USMNT discussion.  I'm not a mod, but would prefer we just leave that out of this thread. All other international talk is more than welcome.

Have at it Bruvs.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Oliver

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ArkyFan2626

Quote from: Cotton on March 01, 2018, 08:15:58 am
6th place looks good on yall  ;D
Trying to fight for that Europa League spot next year.

Cotton

Reviving this even if I'm the only one to keep up with it.

Been having fun watching the Gold Cup thus far. Jamaica-Honduras was the most entertaining game thus far.  The Jamaicans are fun to watch.

Mexico by far has the best team in the tourney.

More to come.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

McKdaddy

Liverpool fan since 2003, when I began watching soccer.  My brother-in-law suggested I pick a team to follow from the EPL, that doing so might help me gain traction in this new interest.  I didn't know one team from another or their histories, but chose the Reds simply b/c I've been a Beatles fan since a friend played me Sgt Pepper in 7th grade in 1987.  Thus, Liverpool I chose and my brother-in-law (not a Liverpool fan) rolled his eyes.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Cotton

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 19, 2019, 02:03:58 pm
Liverpool fan since 2003, when I began watching soccer.  My brother-in-law suggested I pick a team to follow from the EPL, that doing so might help me gain traction in this new interest.  I didn't know one team from another or their histories, but chose the Reds simply b/c I've been a Beatles fan since a friend played me Sgt Pepper in 7th grade in 1987.  Thus, Liverpool I chose and my brother-in-law (not a Liverpool fan) rolled his eyes.
I've supported United since I was a kid because it was the only team on tv in the 90s. More recently, I've turned into a Premier League fan in general as well as several other leagues.  I regularly watch almost every premier league game, Liga MX, and various other matches.  Almost all UEFA Champions/Europa and CONCACAF/CONMEBOL Champions. As well as most international teams.

The main teams I closely follow:
Manchester United
Wolves
Everton
Barcelona
Leon (MX)

However I have a good knowledge of all the Prem/MX teams as well as several other major teams.  I usually keep one tv on soccer at all times at the house.

I follow Mexico national team closest, followed by various others. I've given up on USMNT.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Haiti beat Costa Rica last night and won their group in the Gold Cup.  What an accomplishment for that national team.

Gold cup matches have been fun thus far and we are ready for the knockout stages. Mexico the clear favorite with US not far behind.

USWNT got a gifted penalty to beat Spain and advance to the quarterfinals.

Some comedy in South America as Luis Suarez tried to claim a handball against the keeper in his own area lololol

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

US Women just advanced to the final of the Women's world cup.  They will face the winner of Sweden vs. Netherlands.

USMNT advanced to the Semi's of the Gold Cup and will face Jamaica.  Mexico and Haiti on the other side of that bracket.

Brazil vs. Argentina in Copa America is what I'm really looking forward to tonight.  Argentina is a weak side with the best player in the world.  Brazil is very talented and probably the favorite to win. Should be entertaining.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Messi and Argentina were put out by a much better Brasil side 2-0.

Mexico defeated Haiti 1-0 on a penalty in extra time.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Some interesting rule changes have just went into effect. I noticed the new goal kick rule being used by Mexico last night.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02/new-handball-goal-kick-and-free-kick-rule-changes-now-into-effect/

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cotton on June 19, 2019, 10:30:17 am

The Jamaicans are fun to watch.

I got to sit in their bobsled. That's real entertainment unlike soccer.............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 03, 2019, 01:58:11 pm
I got to sit in their bobsled. That's real entertainment unlike soccer.............
Imagine 11 bobsleders chasing a ball around a bunch of Americans for 90 minutes. And probably winning tbh.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

GoHogsGo

You're giving it a good go, Cotton, but it doesn't seem like there are many soccer fans here.  Too deep in the woods I suppose.  Anyway, I love soccer.   Didn't used to, but for the last 9 years or been watching tons.  Mostly EPL, English domestic cups, European cup comps, and some MLS.  Then, of course, the US national teams.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I normally only watch men's World Cup matches.  This year the American "women" did their job.  That is they have me watching.  For the first time in my life I'm cheering against a U.S.A team.   Been pulling for the opposition in every match.  Don't think the Netherlands can pull off a win, but would thrill me if they did.
Let's make some waves.

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 07, 2019, 10:29:33 am
I normally only watch men's World Cup matches.  This year the American "women" did their job.  That is they have me watching.  For the first time in my life I'm cheering against a U.S.A team.   Been pulling for the opposition in every match.  Don't think the Netherlands can pull off a win, but would thrill me if they did.

Not sure if I've ever cheered as much for a national soccer team as I have this women's team

Quote from: Oliver on July 07, 2019, 10:48:00 am
Not sure if I've ever cheered as much for a national soccer team as I have this women's team

So you are cheering for?  I'm cheering against.  We don't all have to agree all the time right :)
Let's make some waves.

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 07, 2019, 11:08:13 am

So you are cheering for?  I'm cheering against.  We don't all have to agree all the time right :)

I read you correctly.  I was just saying that I'm usually pretty invested in soccer but I can't remember cheering for a team as much as this one.  I wasn't saying that I had a problem with you choosing to do otherwise

Quote from: Oliver on July 07, 2019, 11:18:52 am
I read you correctly.  I was just saying that I'm usually pretty invested in soccer but I can't remember cheering for a team as much as this one.  I wasn't saying that I had a problem with you choosing to do otherwise

I certainly didn't take it that way sir.   

I will say this.  I hate the penalty kicks in matches like this.  I really feel like someone should have to lose a body part to be awarded one.
Let's make some waves.

That second goal was legit though.
Let's make some waves.

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 07, 2019, 11:27:29 am

I certainly didn't take it that way sir.   

I will say this.  I hate the penalty kicks in matches like this.  I really feel like someone should have to lose a body part to be awarded one.

I usually think that it should be a pretty bad foul for it to be awarded a penalty.  But I've seen a lot worse get awarded in some EPL matches. 

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 07, 2019, 11:33:59 am
That second goal was legit though.

Yeah.  Juked the defender out of her cleats

Quote from: Oliver on July 07, 2019, 11:57:38 am
I usually think that it should be a pretty bad foul for it to be awarded a penalty.  But I've seen a lot worse get awarded in some EPL matches. 

Oh I know. If going by the rule a penalty kick was not out of line being awarded.  I just think it should be more like hockey.  Of course I think everything should be a lot more like hockey.

In soccer I would like it to be a player wiping out an opponent that's on an uncontested breakaway.  Not simply being touched in the box.   Is what it is though.
Let's make some waves.

GoHogsGo

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 07, 2019, 12:06:54 pm
In soccer I would like it to be a player wiping out an opponent that's on an uncontested breakaway.  Not simply being touched in the box.   Is what it is though.

This was a bit more than being touched in the box though.  She was kicked high in the side.

Quote from: GoHogsGo on July 07, 2019, 12:37:09 pm
This was a bit more than being touched in the box though.  She was kicked high in the side.

Oh I get it.  I guess my point is and I could be wrong, but even if that kick doesn't take place she had no chance of scoring a goal, or making a pass that would result in one being scored.  Just my opinion, and I'm certainly not that knowledgeable a soccer fan.
Let's make some waves.

Cotton

Huge day of finals yesterday.

Women win the world cup.

Brazil beats Peru to win the Copa America.

Mexico beats USA to win the Gold Cup.

I watched all three.  The Dutch never looked like they had a chance against our women honestly. Brazil was playing a home game and have way to much talent for Peru, but the Peruvians pressed them hard. Mexico the clearly better team, but USA had plenty of chances to win that game. Some major holes to fix going forward for the USMNT.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: GoHogsGo on July 06, 2019, 10:46:52 am
You're giving it a good go, Cotton, but it doesn't seem like there are many soccer fans here.  Too deep in the woods I suppose.  Anyway, I love soccer.   Didn't used to, but for the last 9 years or been watching tons.  Mostly EPL, English domestic cups, European cup comps, and some MLS.  Then, of course, the US national teams.
Ehhh, If I end up talking to myself at least it's a place to put my thoughts into words.  Hopefully when the domestic leagues get going we can get a few guys in here to talk some footy.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 08, 2019, 08:52:42 am
If only the coverage of the USWNT would focus on the play on the field instead of off the field......
Yeah I get tired of the political stuff from Rapinoe and the equal pay agenda.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

As far as the equal pay conversation, I looked into some of the figures today out of curiosity.

Men's 2018 Revenue: $5,350,000,000

Women's 2019 Revenue: $131,000,000

Men's 2018 Prize Money: $400,000,000

Women's 2019 Prize Money: $30,000,000

Thus, the share rates are 7.5% for the men vs. 22.9% for the women.  Women's salaries also guaranteed while men only paid when they play. 

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Oliver

RebelliousHog

The Rapinoe woman kneeling for the SSB and saying she wasn't going to "no f***ing White House", ruined it for me. At that point I stopped caring and actively hoped France would beat them. I knew the Netherlands had no chance.

I'm not a big fan, as the games seem boring. I guess I'm used to action in games (football, baseball, basketball, tiddly winks). I did watch some of the early games, and began to notice the strategy into trying to score.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

spe450

Quote from: HenduHog on July 09, 2019, 08:45:42 am
The Rapinoe woman kneeling for the SSB and saying she wasn't going to "no f***ing White House", ruined it for me. At that point I stopped caring and actively hoped France would beat them. I knew the Netherlands had no chance.

I'm not a big fan, as the games seem boring. I guess I'm used to action in games (football, baseball, basketball, tiddly winks). I did watch some of the early games, and began to notice the strategy into trying to score.

She hasn't taken a knee since 2016.  And why does it matter that she answered a question honestly?  Way worse has been said about her.

spe450

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 09, 2019, 11:25:48 am
If the USSF had any sense, they would have dismissed Rapinoe from the team. 
There is a time and a place to express one's thoughts and beliefs but not when you are part of a team in pursuit of a title AND you are supposed to be representing your country.   

I think she did a damn fine job of representing the US.

Dr. Starcs

spe450

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 09, 2019, 01:11:43 pm
When she takes off the uniform and is NOT a representative of this country, what comes out of her mouth is her choice.

What has been said about her is irrelevant. 

Only if you think homosexuality (and worse) should be viewed as normal - which it is NOT. 

Fortunately, you don't get to dictate any of it or what makes an American.  "Gasp!! A female said the F word and doesn't worship our president! Heavens to Betsy!"  Give me her America over yours.

And there it is.  Live your life in the glass closeted life of a homophobe.

She won and she dominated as a member of the US national team.  She did an amazing job.

Cotton

Rapinoe played an incredible game on the field for the USWNT.  She is a special player.

Once again, I don't condone her off the field statements but I tend to separate the player and the politics. Just wish the media would do the same. There is a major grey area between representing her country to the world and her behavior that distracts from that... unfortunately in my opinion she has done more of the later.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hogs33

When you put on a jersey you are ONE team. What one person does or does not do represents everyone else. So when one player kneels... everyone kneels... when one showboats... everyone show boats... Because that one person becomes the center of attention and what they do affects everyone on that team and the Media proves/helps that.

People like Rapinoe can be a distraction and I am glad the USA team found a way to overcome that.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Cotton on July 09, 2019, 04:00:18 pm
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/#762860ff6da4

I work in utility markets and I hear it every few years about merging markets to form one huge market or several large markets.  Every study shows there being a net benefit but there are winners and there are losers.

What other way would there be to do it?  Combine the revenue from men and women's and then divide it?
Sounds great for one party.....not so much for the other.
Rob Peter to pay Paul (or Rupaul).

Equal rights starts with the toilet seat.

Cotton

Quote from: farfromgroovins on July 09, 2019, 10:37:17 pm
I work in utility markets and I hear it every few years about merging markets to form one huge market or several large markets.  Every study shows there being a net benefit but there are winners and there are losers.

What other way would there be to do it?  Combine the revenue from men and women's and then divide it?
Sounds great for one party.....not so much for the other.
Rob Peter to pay Paul (or Rupaul).

Equal rights starts with the toilet seat.
In my opinion, form two separate federations for men and women and let the free market value pay what it is capable of paying.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 10, 2019, 08:31:03 am
Are you talking domestically or internationally? 
Or both?

I'd like to see the end of the USSF and FIFA.  Both are structured such that neither is effective when it comes to working for the good of the game (but they are good at lining the pockets of those in positions of power).
Ideally it would be both, unfortunately FIFA will never be defeated.  They're like the Catholic Church in terms of power and corruption.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Quote from: spe450 on July 09, 2019, 01:19:37 pm
Fortunately, you don't get to dictate any of it or what makes an American.  "Gasp!! A female said the F word and doesn't worship our president! Heavens to Betsy!"  Give me her America over yours.

And there it is.  Live your life in the glass closeted life of a homophobe.

She won and she dominated as a member of the US national team.  She did an amazing job.

Look my dislike for this team really got heated up when they were doing choreographed celebrations already up 7-0 to Thailand.  The. Rapino doing her thing.  Then not being able to open an article about it without seeing something about the LBGTWXYZ or whatever. 

If we really believe in all those freedoms let's look up the story about the lady that SHOULD have been on that team, but wasn't because her religious beliefs said she shouldn't be wearing the jerseys with the rainbow in the numbers.  What about her.

If you are a guy and you like guys that's your business.  I don't care. If you are a chick that likes chicks.  Again your business.  I don't care.

Just once however I would like to turn on or read the news and not have the LBGXTYZ, shoved into my face.  I don't care about Rapino like or dislike of the sitting president.  I also don't give two rips about what the Kardashian's think about politics.

When you wear that USA Jersey you are representing our country as a whole.
Let's make some waves.

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 11, 2019, 09:00:04 am

Look my dislike for this team really got heated up when they were doing choreographed celebrations already up 7-0 to Thailand.  The. Rapino doing her thing.  Then not being able to open an article about it without seeing something about the LBGTWXYZ or whatever. 

If we really believe in all those freedoms let's look up the story about the lady that SHOULD have been on that team, but wasn't because her religious beliefs said she shouldn't be wearing the jerseys with the rainbow in the numbers.  What about her.

If you are a guy and you like guys that's your business.  I don't care. If you are a chick that likes chicks.  Again your business.  I don't care.

Just once however I would like to turn on or read the news and not have the LBGXTYZ, shoved into my face.  I don't care about Rapino like or dislike of the sitting president.  I also don't give two rips about what the Kardashian's think about politics.

When you wear that USA Jersey you are representing our country as a whole.

I'm going to gloss over a lot of this post and just focus on the SHOULD have been on this team point. 

1.  If religions...all religions...stopped ostracizing certain groups of human beings and treated them all like human beings equally, they wouldn't have to worry about wearing any color uniforms.
2.  If wearing rainbow colored whatever was pandering to a specific religion, it probably wouldn't be allowed.  But not only does it not pander to a specific religion, many people with the same religion As that poor woman that should have made the team are fine with sporting rainbows for whatever reason.  Hence no religious discrimination is occurring.  That woman has two choices:  get over it or don't join the team.  She made her choice. 

Oh please.  I will say it how it is.  It's team USA not team gay.  Why must a player have to wear a uniform with the gay pride rainbow on it to be a part of the team.

That's such crap. 

If there is ever a straight pride month and it has a Little logo will all the gay women be forced to wear it or not be allowed to play?
Let's make some waves.

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 11, 2019, 10:50:01 pm
Oh please.  I will say it how it is.  It's team USA not team gay.  Why must a player have to wear a uniform with the gay pride rainbow on it to be a part of the team.

That's such crap. 

If there is ever a straight pride month and it has a Little logo will all the gay women be forced to wear it or not be allowed to play?

There's not a straight pride month because there doesn't need to be one.  We've never had to labor through difficult times because we are straight.  I think you'd find that all gay people would prefer to not have to wear rainbows because the lack of bigots wouldn't deem it necessary. 

It would be nice to get there eventually.  And if my country deems it necessary to wear rainbows to show bigots that they are losing, so be it

Quote from: Oliver on July 11, 2019, 11:35:47 pm
There's not a straight pride month because there doesn't need to be one.  We've never had to labor through difficult times because we are straight.  I think you'd find that all gay people would prefer to not have to wear rainbows because the lack of bigots wouldn't deem it necessary. 

It would be nice to get there eventually.  And if my country deems it necessary to wear rainbows to show bigots that they are losing, so be it

Lol okay.  It is what it is and I suppose we just see things differently.  Again I have no problem with peoples personal choices, but I don't need them forced down my throat at every turn.

Here's a little example for you.  My 8 year old and I go onto Netflix to find a new family movie that perhaps we haven't already seen 100 times and what pops up.  A big bold category Lbgxtyz selections.  8'yeard old.  Dad what does that mean.  Me nothing buddy.  Flip over to HBO.  Same thing. 

Let's make some waves.

Oliver

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on July 11, 2019, 11:49:22 pm
Lol okay.  It is what it is and I suppose we just see things differently.  Again I have no problem with peoples personal choices, but I don't need them forced down my throat at every turn.

Here's a little example for you.  My 8 year old and I go onto Netflix to find a new family movie that perhaps we haven't already seen 100 times and what pops up.  A big bold category Lbgxtyz selections.  8'yeard old.  Dad what does that mean.  Me nothing buddy.  Flip over to HBO.  Same thing. 

I have a 3 year old.  I'm not sure when I'll discuss anything sexual with her but if she ever asks me about LGBT, I'll just say that people love people regardless of their gender.  And consensual love doesn't hurt anyone.  Hopefully by the time she's old enough to understand, having to fight for LGBT rights will be a thing of the past and I won't even have to explain it to her.

But I mean, you do what you do.  It's cool with me

Cotton

A ton of big transfers still going on.

My fantasy premier league draft is tomorrow night.

EPL is back this weekend!

Liga MX has been rolling for 3 weeks now... it could be a really interesting season as there are no clear cut favorites after 3 matches.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

4Lions04

I'm really excited about the Premier League being back. I expect it to be a two horse race again this year. Harry Kane will have to stay injury free and they must keep Erikson to compete. United is still a mess, I don't think Chelsea has the horses with the transfer ban, and Arsenal is Arsenal.

Cotton

Quote from: 4Lions04 on August 06, 2019, 10:04:18 am
I'm really excited about the Premier League being back. I expect it to be a two horse race again this year. Harry Kane will have to stay injury free and they must keep Erikson to compete. United is still a mess, I don't think Chelsea has the horses with the transfer ban, and Arsenal is Arsenal.
Agree, we might see Everton sneak into the top 6. Wolves are going to be strong again, we'll see if they can keep their momentum. Would like to see either of those teams finish top 6.

United is going to need some major pulling together to get back into champions league for next season.  I don't see Spurs challenging either of the Top 2 but they should finish top 4, anything less will be a disappointment.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX