Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Golf Channel announcer today

Started by ocsm158, February 25, 2018, 01:27:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ocsm158

opened their coverage of the Honda Classic with this "Welcome to the Honda Classic at beautiful Palm Beach Gardens where all these people are here to see a champion crowned but MORE IMPORTANTLY, Tiger Woods opened with a birdie on number one but finds himself in trouble here on number two."

Seriously, MORE IMPORTANTLY than a champion being crowned?

No wonder, oh never mind. The horse is dead.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ocsm158 on February 25, 2018, 01:27:39 pm
opened their coverage of the Honda Classic with this "Welcome to the Honda Classic at beautiful Palm Beach Gardens where all these people are here to see a champion crowned but MORE IMPORTANTLY, Tiger Woods opened with a birdie on number one but finds himself in trouble here on number two."

Seriously, MORE IMPORTANTLY than a champion being crowned?

No wonder, oh never mind. The horse is dead.

And yet the media keep trying to play Frankenstein and bring him back to life.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

I am not a Tiger fan by any stretch of the imagination and thought he'd never win another tournament but after today, I'm not as sure. 

Rory is the one in trouble. Don't think I've ever seen a golfer miss as many greens from position A as he does and he can't putt.  Tiger may win one before he does. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 25, 2018, 07:01:43 pm
I am not a Tiger fan by any stretch of the imagination and thought he'd never win another tournament but after today, I'm not as sure. 

Rory is the one in trouble. Don't think I've ever seen a golfer miss as many greens from position A as he does and he can't putt.  Tiger may win one before he does. 

Tiger was worthy of his coverage today, unlike other tournaments.

majestic

Woods was a lot closer than the final score suggests. He killed his chances on 15-17. I'm not going to look it up, but I think if he had averaged par on those 3 holes, he would have been 6 under for the tournament. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

EastexHawg

Quote from: majestic on February 25, 2018, 07:42:26 pm
Woods was a lot closer than the final score suggests. He killed his chances on 15-17. I'm not going to look it up, but I think if he had averaged par on those 3 holes, he would have been 6 under for the tournament. 

Those par threes are the two most dangerous holes on the course, 2/3 of the Bear Trap.  Nicklaus said the tournament would be won  or lost there and it usually is.  Probably every player in the tournament would have gained a few shots with eight pars there.

Boarcephus

Quote from: majestic on February 25, 2018, 07:42:26 pm

I actually looked it up he was +8 for the tournament on those 3 holes. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 25, 2018, 08:48:41 pm
I actually looked it up he was +8 for the tournament on those 3 holes. 

He's lucky he didn't dunk another one yesterday on the par four.  He hit his tee shot way right but landed on a peninsula sticking out into the water.

PonderinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 25, 2018, 08:50:50 pm
He's lucky he didn't dunk another one yesterday on the par four.  He hit his tee shot way right but landed on a peninsula sticking out into the water.
He's that damn good!

onebadrubi

I think I saw where easttex boy was number one in driva my distance and approx to the hole this week.  He keeps improving with those type stats he will win again. 

Keep in mind though, he's playing only places he's known to play well at. 

cosmodrum

Took a long hiatus, had a back surgery, and hitting it a long way and finding himself in contention a point in his, what, 3rd/4th outing in 2018. I mean, that's a story.
Go away, batin'

EastexHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 25, 2018, 11:48:31 pm
I think I saw where easttex boy was number one in driva my distance and approx to the hole this week.  He keeps improving with those type stats he will win again. 

Keep in mind though, he's playing only places he's known to play well at. 

I saw him play in a group with Justin Thomas a couple of weeks ago.  When they all hit driver they were flying it past Tiger.  Then, when Tiger started trying to really hit it hard, he was way out in the right rough just as I predicted.

He finished 12th, eight shots behind.  Good for him.  When he plays an event with Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose, and the rest of the big boys in the field he won't be able to compete for the lead.  Tiger's game is about making cuts and good showings these days.  He will never win another major.  I said it on this board 7-8 years ago and it is still true.  No matter how much he improves, there are numerous players who are better.  When enough of them are in the field he won't have a chance.

Wildhog

Golf is just far more interesting when Tiger's involved.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 26, 2018, 08:40:41 am
He will never win another major.

The players today are not intimidated by him like the ones 15-20 years ago were and as a matter of fact, they're looking forward to adding him as a notch on their clubs. 

The tour never has an off week so I'm not convinced he'll ever win again but he did have a good showing the past week. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 26, 2018, 08:40:41 am
I saw him play in a group with Justin Thomas a couple of weeks ago.  When they all hit driver they were flying it past Tiger.  Then, when Tiger started trying to really hit it hard, he was way out in the right rough just as I predicted.

He finished 12th, eight shots behind.  Good for him.  When he plays an event with Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose, and the rest of the big boys in the field he won't be able to compete for the lead.  Tiger's game is about making cuts and good showings these days.  He will never win another major.  I said it on this board 7-8 years ago and it is still true.  No matter how much he improves, there are numerous players who are better.  When enough of them are in the field he won't have a chance.

Glad to see you say he is vastly improving week by week. Signs of a guy that is getting healthy...

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 26, 2018, 09:41:08 am
The players today are not intimidated by him like the ones 15-20 years ago were

See Ernie Els.  See Davis Love III.  See Tiger's name anywhere near a leaderboard.  See warm yellow liquid run down their legs.

Justin Thomas couldn't care less that Tiger is playing, even playing in the same group with him.  He'll spank that ass the next time just like he did the last time.  There are numerous players on tour now who are better than Tiger and feel the same way. 

userpick

Unless you're a large golf fan, the average person doesn't give a rats ass about Justin Thomas. Tiger is the main attraction and will be until he hangs it up.

EastexHawg

Quote from: userpick on February 26, 2018, 02:52:46 pm
Unless you're a large golf fan, the average person doesn't give a rats ass about Justin Thomas. Tiger is the main attraction and will be until he hangs it up.

I don't think so.  I think there will be a lot of interest in him until everyone figures out that comeback or not, healthy or not, his days of winning are over.  Right now there are still a lot of people who think he is on the way back to the top.  I bet he will be one of the top 8-10 favorites when the odds of winning the Masters are announced.  He doesn't have a snowball's chance.  He can probably grind it out and make the cut, maybe even get into the top 25, but guys like Dustin, Thomas, and Rose...not necessarily those three because any of them may play poorly and miss the cut, but the top players in the world like them...are too much better than Tiger for him to sniff winning.

Wildhog

Quote from: userpick on February 26, 2018, 02:52:46 pm

I've played golf since I was two and I barely know who Justin Thomas is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg414

Quote from: Wildhog on February 26, 2018, 04:46:32 pm

saw a headline that said Thomas just joined Tiger and Speith as the only players to win 8 times before the age of 25.  and much like you, i couldn't tell you another tournament he won.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawg414 on February 26, 2018, 04:51:37 pm
saw a headline that said Thomas just joined Tiger and Speith as the only players to win 8 times before the age of 25.  and much like you, i couldn't tell you another tournament he won.

I wouldn't recognize him if he were standing right in front of me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 26, 2018, 04:52:40 pm

Well Dumas, read the name on the back of the caddy.....

woodrow hog call

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2018, 04:56:52 pm
Well Dumas, read the name on the back of the caddy.....

+1, Nice one. We were actually having a conversation about this yesterday at dinner, how it kind of turned us off on golf when Tiger got the vast majority of coverage, even when he was six or seven strokes off the lead.

I have enjoyed watching golf for a long time, before he ever came along, if he is in the hunt on the final day fine give him his due but, don't focus the coverage on him and obtw so and so is the winner today by 6 strokes.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg414 on February 26, 2018, 04:51:37 pm

He won last year's PGA.  Last time I checked that's a major.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawg414

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 26, 2018, 05:14:38 pm
He won last year's PGA.  Last time I checked that's a major.

still is.  guess i just wasnt watching.

used to love watching golf.  dont necessarily think my decline in viewing is related to tigers decline in competing.  i think its just due to getting older and doing other things... or perhaps playing more on weekends myself.  however, i acknowledge my decline directly parallels his decline as far as the timeframe goes.  nowadays ill mainly tune into the masters and the us open.  and thats about it. 

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 26, 2018, 04:52:40 pm

That really says more about you than him though

Boarcephus

Speaking of Thomas, did you guys see where he had a fan ejected from the course for hollering at his ball to get in the trap? ;) 

cosmodrum

Quote from: Dillar Dog on February 26, 2018, 06:10:52 pm
That really says more about you than him though

I'll help. Hey WildHog, if you ever see a downsy Spieth, it's Justin Thomas.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 26, 2018, 06:36:53 pm
Speaking of Thomas, did you guys see where he had a fan ejected from the course for hollering at his ball to get in the trap? ;) 

And I bet he whines about the pussification of America.
Go away, batin'

Arky

he's the guy who keeps missin 3's for the hogs

Arky

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 27, 2018, 04:30:01 pm
I'll help. Hey WildHog, if you ever see a downsy Spieth, it's Justin Thomas.
yep, but jt's girlfriend is hotter

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Arky

East TN HAWG

February 28, 2018, 01:02:22 pm #33 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:21:00 pm by East TN HAWG

Justin Thomas has been a great player on every level.  Thomas, Speith, Schneiderjans and one other (never made it) were on the Jr Ryder Cup team.  Of course they won, but coming out of that Thomas was being project as the best one because of his ability to putt.  Last week JT, finally moved ahead of Speith in the world ranking.  I expect him to stay there. 

East TN HAWG

The week prior JT was paired up with Rory.  There was a lot of heckling going on during the back swing.  Finally, Rory had enough, and had the fans thrown out.  I think the fans were heckling JT more than Rory, but Rory took it upon himself to make it happen.   

I believe this probably had a carry over effect on JT, and he had the guy thrown out.  JT is taking a lot of heat for doing it.  You can hear him saying it on the telecast, but the camera was on the ball. 

There is a lot that happens at the tournaments.  Lots of drunks, and if your friends/ family with one of the golfers you must have thick skins.  Saturdays on the back nine are by far the worst time and place.  Sometime it gets a little uncomfortable for the golfers because there is not much separating drunk fans from the golfers.  The golfers don't typically react, but they hear it. 

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 26, 2018, 02:44:49 pm
Justin Thomas couldn't care less that Tiger is playing, even playing in the same group with him.  He'll spank that ass the next time just like he did the last time.  There are numerous players on tour now who are better than Tiger and feel the same way. 

Not remotely true.

Ricky, JT, Spieth, have all been very vocal about the guy. They love him and love that he's back. Of course they want to beat him, they want to beat each other too.

As for JT getting that idiot kicked out, I hope it keeps happening. I hate the hecklers.. and cannot fathom why people do that.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 28, 2018, 01:51:37 pm
Not remotely true.

Ricky, JT, Spieth, have all been very vocal about the guy. They love him and love that he's back. Of course they want to beat him, they want to beat each other too.

As for JT getting that idiot kicked out, I hope it keeps happening. I hate the hecklers.. and cannot fathom why people do that.

If you look at the post you quoted, you will see that I was referencing Boarcephus's post...and that I in fact quoted it:

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 26, 2018, 09:41:08 am
The players today are not intimidated by him like the ones 15-20 years ago were and as a matter of fact, they're looking forward to adding him as a notch on their clubs. 

That is the context in which I said players like Justin Thomas "don't care" about whether Tiger is in the field.  They aren't scared of him like players used to be.  They will beat him like a tied up goat just like other less capable players.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 28, 2018, 03:37:14 pm
If you look at the post you quoted, you will see that I was referencing Boarcephus's post...and that I in fact quoted it:

That is the context in which I said players like Justin Thomas "don't care" about whether Tiger is in the field.  They aren't scared of him like players used to be.  They will beat him like a tied up goat just like other less capable players.

When Tiger started owning the PGA in 1997 and did so for the next 10-12 years, both Spieth and Thomas were 4-5 years old.  They never did have to compete against him in his prime.  I remember when a young Mike Tyson damn near killed and aging Larry Holmes, these young guys are catching Tiger on his way out but they can still tell their kids they kicked Tiger's butt.

BTW, evidently the guy JT had kicked out had been dogging him for awhile, almost to the point of stalking him per Feherty. 

majestic

Man, Eastex, nobody was scared of Woods if he wasn't in the lead. If he was, they would melt because he almost never lost the lead. If he is ever in the lead starting the final round again, we'll see how the young guns do.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 28, 2018, 06:17:02 pm
When Tiger started owning the PGA in 1997 and did so for the next 10-12 years, both Spieth and Thomas were 4-5 years old.  They never did have to compete against him in his prime.  I remember when a young Mike Tyson damn near killed and aging Larry Holmes, these young guys are catching Tiger on his way out but they can still tell their kids they kicked Tiger's butt.

BTW, evidently the guy JT had kicked out had been dogging him for awhile, almost to the point of stalking him per Feherty.

Watch out for a old rusty yellow vw bug

Dillar Dog

Well, Tyson was a little overrated and never came close to killing Larry. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dillar Dog on February 28, 2018, 08:12:52 pm
Well, Tyson was a little overrated and never came close to killing Larry. 

Finished him off in the 4th round.  It was after that fight that Holmes said Tyson would wind up in prison or dead.  Right on both counts. 

Dillar Dog

Poor Larry was a pawn.

Tyson's nickname should've been "the can opener". 

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm tired of the "mashed potatoes!" guy.  He needs some new things to yell.

"Steamed broccoli!"

"Sautéed mushrooms!"

"Glazed carrots!"

"Grilled asparagus!"
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 28, 2018, 07:14:29 pm
Watch out for a old rusty yellow vw bug

Especially if the driver is screaming "ya jackass" at you.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 28, 2018, 08:28:40 pm

Finished him off in the 4th round.  It was after that fight that Holmes said Tyson would wind up in prison or dead.  Right on both counts.

How can he be right on both counts if Tyson is still alive?

onebadrubi

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 28, 2018, 11:53:34 pm

Figment of your imagination... he's actually dead.  Lol

GolfNut57

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 01, 2018, 12:11:05 am
Figment of your imagination... he's actually dead.  Lol

Really? I googled Tyson to make sure and it said nothing about his death.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 28, 2018, 11:53:34 pm

LOL!  Good point but in my defense, drank a little too much last night.  Since I retired a couple years ago, waking up with a  hangover on Thursday is not as big of a deal as it was when I had to go to work.  ;) 

Found where Holmes was credited with that quote this am......"The end of his boxing life and his natural life will likely be one and the same. Larry Holmes said years ago that Tyson would wind up either in jail or dead. Tyson has already done time. And he'll be fighting until the day he dies. Given his recklessness and desperate circumstance, how far off can that day be? He has never been brave enough to put his whole heart into winning, to believe he could win when winning seemed impossible."

onebadrubi

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 01, 2018, 01:25:50 am
Really? I googled Tyson to make sure and it said nothing about his death.

I was joking.