Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Influence of new hitting coach

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, February 17, 2018, 09:52:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

I know it's only two games in against some (ahem) shaky pitching, but do you see anything in our AB's that is different from years past? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Amityvillehogger

Seem to be swinging at pitches in the zone. Not chasing much out. Seeing a lot of pitches in general as a result.

Will reserve further judgement for after better competition.

Bucknell pitchers are bad bad.

A lot of really good baseball players on this team though.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

BroyledNutts

Driving pitches instead of just making contact ... also being more aggressive in certain counts, and not sitting on just one pitch - hitting the good pitch that's given. I also think that teaching launch angle is getting a lot more pitches in the air, and like Kjerstad stated, you have to hit it up to hit it out ...

SPAL

Hard to say....Bucky is awful. But, I don't remember a more patient approach at the plate. We are laying off way more than I ever remember. We also seem to be driving the ball in the zone better than I recall.

BroyledNutts

I'll be interested to see how this new hitting approach translates at Arizona this week.
Arizona has never been a kind place for the Hogs to play.
A strong performance there may go a long way in telling us just how improved we are at the plate.

rmcchris

A strong effort to hit good pitches is notable and hence the walks and not chasing. Very nice job in this category.

Pig Papi

I had a professional scout tell me after the hire that Nate Thompson was a teacher.  Some of the early feedback from players and camp attendees seems to support that.  It's still early and he has a lot of talent to work with but a start like this is impressive...no matter who the competition is.

Porkerpower

To me I'm as excited about our new coaching staff and their ability to recruit and coach em up.

When your freshman outfielder throws a dude out on a sac fly attempt, and the catcher puts the tag on him, you bet DVH is giddy....

pigture perfect

For me, I think the number of walks this last series was telling. The last few years we chased so many balls out of the zone. Yeah, Bucknell was not good, but even the bench players seemed to have a great plate discipline.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HogFoo

I believe that new hitting coach has made difference.  I know, Bucky pitchers blow... or do they?  haha.. make no mistake, we have some talent on this team, and we have some power.   It seemed like we were really seeing the zone.  I heard one of the announcers say that their pitchers were afraid to throw it in the zone because they were afraid of what we would do .  And, that is exactly what it seemed like.    very good start so far.  obviously we need to see how we do against other teams.. but i'm confident this team is going to be damn good and worthy of their ranking.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

TebowHater

Excited to see what Thompson brings, but lest we forget this unbelievable recruiting class was Vitello's first true class that he recruited from day 0 since baseball recruiting starts so far out. He was one heck of a recruiter to identify talent like we have 3-4 years ago.

Pudgepork

I agree that the games this week will answer many questions.  This opening weekend at home showed us very relaxed, no pressure batters against poor competition.  The batters looked so at ease that it could have been a practice.  I can't remember ever noticing hog batters so patient at the plate. 

Competition increases this week, all road games.  Will be interesting to see the batters approach in tight games. 

dotnet

Quote from: TebowHater on February 19, 2018, 06:34:21 am
Excited to see what Thompson brings, but lest we forget this unbelievable recruiting class was Vitello's first true class that he recruited...

This is my thought on the matter.  I think its a little unfair to chalk up all the improvement to Thompson when he has inherited great hitters.  Also, the lineup is a year older and extremely experienced relative to the normal college team.  I think the lineup would look improved regardless. 

At the same time, I am excited for what Thompson has done and is going to do.  I am just not sure that I think this past weekend is a great example one way or the other

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on February 19, 2018, 09:35:40 pm
This is my thought on the matter.  I think its a little unfair to chalk up all the improvement to Thompson when he has inherited great hitters.  Also, the lineup is a year older and extremely experienced relative to the normal college team.  I think the lineup would look improved regardless. 

At the same time, I am excited for what Thompson has done and is going to do.  I am just not sure that I think this past weekend is a great example one way or the other
Yeah, Thompson inherited one of the most experienced lineups in the country as well as one of the most talented.  Not many teams have had a senior trio like we have in Bonfield, Shaddy, and Gates.  Add in juniors like Biggers, Cole, and Koch and you have six upperclassmen that anchor this lineup and all have at least one year starting in the SEC.

HogFoo

Quote from: dotnet on February 19, 2018, 09:35:40 pm

while i agree that thompson inherited a great group and i agree that Vitello was a great recruiter, i do believe that Thompson was great in his own right in recruiting and mainly hitting.  Kids could have all the talent in the world and not have improved any. Im just saying , our new coach deserves a lot of credit as well, because our hitters looked very patient and werent swinging at a bunch of balls out of the strike zone.  Which as someone else said, theyd not been doing that. 

Also as Thompson brought in a LOT of talent at mizz st.  With the resources he has now, and all the advantages being here brings and affords him, it wouldnt surprise me if he becomes the best recruiter in the SEC! And thats saying a lot!  I liked vitello a lot and i think ill like thompson equally as well and if he can keep top talent from going pro and coming to UA, ill like him even more! :)
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SPAL

Sure, he has talent to work with. But I can't count the number of times I threw my hat in angst at poor plate discipline and chasing terrible pitches last few years.  A position coach in baseball has more effect on the player than in any other sport.  Mechanics mean more in baseball than other sport.

It's too early to say one way or the other, but I think the approach is already better

dotnet

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 20, 2018, 03:28:13 pm
Sure, he has talent to work with. But I can't count the number of times I threw my hat in angst at poor plate discipline and chasing terrible pitches last few years.  A position coach in baseball has more effect on the player than in any other sport.  Mechanics mean more in baseball than other sport.

It's too early to say one way or the other, but I think the approach is already better

Not to derail, but I think an OL coach would argue with this point... though I'm not sure my own thoughts. 

I don't think its controversial to say I'm not putting much stock in this weekend, similar to how I won't put too much stock when Arkansas comes up against a hot - fill in the blank 1 of about 7 or 8 exceptional SEC teams here - and gets swept or loses two ugly games in a weekend. 

TebowHater

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 20, 2018, 03:28:13 pm

I agree we had a good eye this past weekend; we will see what happens when we face tough SEC pitching. I doubt you threw your hat opening weekend last year either.

Nonetheless, appreciate the differing input and totally look forward to seeing how this plays out. Our biggest people to watch for progression will be Bonfield and Fletcher, with an assist from Shaddy.

NEA_HogFan

Be aggressive in the zone and get the ball in the air.

ThisTeetsTaken

Any updates on the thinking here?  Kendall Rogers said during the Kentucky series that our approach at the plate was awesome.  That scouts were also commenting on how few balls out of the zone we offered at.   I'm thinking the new coach is doing a great job.  I'm anxious to see if our recruiting keeps up with recent years.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***