Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What site is the gold standard for recruiting?

Started by mj4president, December 16, 2017, 09:45:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

I'm a bit old school and like Rivals due to site layout but not sure what's the best?

247, Rivals, or scout?

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

31to6

Quote from: mj4president on December 16, 2017, 09:45:48 am
I'm a bit old school and like Rivals due to site layout but not sure what's the best?

247, Rivals, or scout?
For football.

It's composite ranking is composed of all the major site's recruit ranks. So if a guy is highly ranked there it is probably more of a consensus ranking.

It also has a lot more analysts making commitment predictions which can be fun around signing day (if not always particularly accurate)

Großer Kriegschwein

There really isn't one. Pick the one you don't mind reading.

Recruiting is mainly subjective. Also you have to factor in ease of cancellation of your subscription. Rivals is damn near impossible to cancel.

In all reality, the aforewarning of things happening or accuracy of reporting information about recruits only gives you about 5 minutes earning ahead of the rest of the world. Twitter is a MF in this regard. People love to tell everyone what they are doing in their lives, especially sought after recruits.  The ones that don't blast their intentions out on twitter won't be telling the "Recruiting experts" anything either.

Basically "pay walls" suck people in using "insider information" as a lure. Then they tel you not to discuss outside their pay site so you can't really compare notes with others from other pay sites to get a complete picture.

Practically zero "insiders" were ahead of the mainstream media about the direction of the coaching search. They have no idea who the next DC will be and won't even guess.

Pay boards are practically useless if you have even the basic modicum of patience.

For rankings. 247 composite is as good as any.
This is my non-signature signature.

31to6

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 16, 2017, 10:05:07 am

Recruiting is mainly subjective. Also you have to factor in ease of cancellation of your subscription. Rivals is damn near impossible to cancel.

In all reality, the aforewarning of things happening or accuracy of reporting information about recruits only gives you about 5 minutes earning ahead of the rest of the world. Twitter is a MF in this regard. People love to tell everyone what they are doing in their lives, especially sought after recruits.  The ones that don't blast their intentions out on twitter won't be telling the "Recruiting experts" anything either.

Basically "pay walls" suck people in using "insider information" as a lure. Then they tel you not to discuss outside their pay site so you can't really compare notes with others from other pay sites to get a complete picture.

Practically zero "insiders" were ahead of the mainstream media about the direction of the coaching search. They have no idea who the next DC will be and won't even guess.

Pay boards are practically useless if you have even the basic modicum of patience.

Good points.

I should have said that my answer of 247 was based on just what is available in the form of advertising-supported (aka free) content and articles.

Between various message boards and websites, is enough Arkansas recruiting news out there to meet my needs without paying for a subscription.

I have had subs to sites in the past and did not really see any value for my money.

Seebs

They all suck donkey bawls. Just my opinion. Coaches get players that fit into their systems. The Top 5% will be the same for each service - after that it is so subjective it is laughable.

Go by offers and you will find your top players - do that and you will know your top players. Coaches know - these sites just bump up players, unseen, by their offers.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

JIHawg

Otis, Trey, and Richard all do a good job.  They've all been around quite a long time.  Just pick one and subscribe.  They all get the information about the same time.  Pick one based on who you enjoy reading. 

Don't factor in who gets the scoop.  They all get the info within 30 minutes of each other.  Pick the one you enjoy reading.  They are all small businesses so it's a good thing to support them.

nwahogfan1

They are good for reference only but for me the most telling stat is who has offered the recruit.  Recruiting services do not dive into grades, attitudes, how many times the kid has been in trouble, social media posts, etc.   I liked what CBB said that you recruit your own problems by taking a kid who is bringing his problems to you.

RedyorNot

I don't go anywhere but here and read what Pig In The Pokey and PRJ are saying...that's the gold plated standard my friend 🤓

oldhawg

ricepig

Quote from: JIHawg on December 16, 2017, 10:19:43 am
Otis, Trey, and Richard all do a good job.  They've all been around quite a long time.  Just pick one and subscribe.  They all get the information about the same time.  Pick one based on who you enjoy reading. 

Don't factor in who gets the scoop.  They all get the info within 30 minutes of each other.  Pick the one you enjoy reading.  They are all small businesses so it's a good thing to support them.

I think they swap off doing the "after" official visits recaps, every article has the same quotes and such. It's like you get ABC, and I'll take DEF, then the articles appear within minutes of each other. It just like the "secret" visitors, they all released the names at the same time.

cardinalandwhite

Y'all are all wrong. It's whoever ranks our classes the highest.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

ImYourHoggleberry

I had a 14 day trial at Scout (HawgSports).  I learned things in there that wasn't here and the vibe was a whole lot different than here during the search. The one positive I found was that it wasn't as cluttered with nonsense and shitposts.

I cancelled the subscription after the 15 days because I can't justify paying money for a message board and news that's a day earlier than the free sites, but I did learn things there about the coaching search that still haven't made it here.

My biggest gripe about Hogville is how unorganized it is and how poor the general message board etiquette is for a lot of people. So many threads here are titled something like "I was just thinking" or "What about this." I wish people here would learn the meaning of a thread title and actually post the subject rather than the first sentence of their thought as the subject.

It wasn't easy to find the unsubscribe method, but it didn't take me more than 15 minutes to get it figured out.

jgphillips3

The 247 composite for football makes it my favorite but they all have their pluses and minuses.

jcharkansas

247, Rivals, or scout?
I used to use rivals all the time too, then about 2 or 3 years ago they changed the layout and I couldn't even hardly look at anything on my phone at least. After that I started using 24/7 and I like it pretty good.

Highway Hog Sign

247, Rivals, or scout?

I'd throw ESPN in there. I like their site
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

Hoggish1

Quote from: Seebs on December 16, 2017, 10:09:19 am
They all suck donkey bawls. Just my opinion. Coaches get players that fit into their systems. The Top 5% will be the same for each service - after that it is so subjective it is laughable.

Go by offers and you will find your top players - do that and you will know your top players. Coaches know - these sites just bump up players, unseen, by their offers.

Exactly.  If you like your coach, follow who he's going after and call it good...

Alphaman1906

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 16, 2017, 10:21:08 am
I don't go anywhere but here and read what Pig In The Pokey and PRJ are saying...that's the gold plated standard my friend 🤓
damn skippy
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 16, 2017, 10:05:07 am

Just cancel the credit card...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jackflash

for me the one I Listen to is Richard Davenport