Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gerry Bohanon to announce his decision on 12/19...

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 14, 2017, 09:22:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyMtnHog

John Stephen Jones would probably be a better option.  Big school in Texas versus 2A school in Arkansas.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 16, 2017, 10:46:07 pm
It's not like this kid is picking between Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. Look who his top schools are. There's a reason that is. I know some have made him out to be Cam Newton, but he's more Kiehl Frazier to me. We will be just fine.
huh? Look at the picture, dude. He has offers from Bama, Auburn, etc.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

AirWarren

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HogHomer on December 16, 2017, 06:22:10 pm
What happened to your LSU pick?
The same as Notsofastmyfriend's guarantee...it was fluid!

Take wild stabs and you either end up getting love on here or there was lots of fluidity (in a guarantee, no less).

jkstock04

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 16, 2017, 10:46:07 pm
It's not like this kid is picking between Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. Look who his top schools are. There's a reason that is. I know some have made him out to be Cam Newton, but he's more Kiehl Frazier to me. We will be just fine.
Loudest mantra/narrative the entire Bret Bielema era. Dear God I wish people would quit saying this in light of anything and everything. 2014 all over again.

Lose the top rated in state player to another power 5 school? No problem!!! "We will be just fine."  Dear lord......

I'm not going to be that fan and hold Morris accountable for letting the biggest recruit in state leave (like Bielema 100% would have) because he's literally only been our coach for a few days. But if he is able to convince him to stay in spite of Arkansas' football program being a dumpster fire the past few years, that's gonna be a very big deal. Huge deal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

colbs

It seems to me Bohannon wants to go to a place that he can play QB and have a shot to start early.  Baylor and Memphis can offer this.  He will have a chance to at Arkansas but there is a lot more competition. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 16, 2017, 11:39:21 pm

That's why they're not in his Top 4. Get a clue, man.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

#1 STUNNA

If its all about getting on the field im going to Memphis or Baylor. But everyone that says its not a big deal to lose the #1 recruit in the state is a complete idiot. We cant afford to lose any big time recruit from the state. Regardless of how their college career plays out.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 17, 2017, 09:49:56 am
If its all about getting on the field im going to Memphis or Baylor. But everyone that says its not a big deal to lose the #1 recruit in the state is a complete idiot. We cant afford to lose any big time recruit from the state. Regardless of how their college career plays out.

You can't force them to come, so while it may be a big deal in your eyes, it's not the end of football at Arkansas.

Kevin

Especially when the hogs were not really recruiting him in the first place
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RaisinHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 16, 2017, 11:39:21 pm

I feel it's pretty obvious at this point ... They wanted him as an athlete .. and we're not gona give him a chance at qb or he wouldn't have a final 4 of what he does ..

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Kevin on December 17, 2017, 09:59:57 am
Especially when the hogs were not really recruiting him in the first place

I don't think BB has much recruiting credibility.  An athlete like GB likely should have been a higher priority. 

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 17, 2017, 09:49:56 am

Yes, we're already limited in the state as it is.  My hunch is GB is going elsewhere, which I can't fault CM given the limited time to recruit him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

imtad16

Quote from: colbs on December 17, 2017, 08:10:27 am
It seems to me Bohannon wants to go to a place that he can play QB and have a shot to start early.  Baylor and Memphis can offer this.  He will have a chance to at Arkansas but there is a lot more competition. 

He would have a great shot at Memphis to start early, but I don't think he would at Baylor. They have a freshman named Charlie Brewer that started in 5 games this season and could be really good. He is the brother Michael Brewer that played at Texas Tech and Virginia Tech and is from Lake Travis where Garrett Gilbert, Michael Brewer, and Baker Mayfield Played. This is also the school that CM coached at.

Brewer 2017 stats - 11 TD and 4 INT, 1,562 yards passing, and completed 139 of 204 passes for a 68.1 percent

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/11/30/baylor-quarterback-charlie-brewer-wide-receiver-denzel-mims-earn-big-12-honors

bigbrew25

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 17, 2017, 08:01:58 am
Loudest mantra/narrative the entire Bret Bielema era. Dear God I wish people would quit saying this in light of anything and everything. 2014 all over again.

Lose the top rated in state player to another power 5 school? No problem!!! "We will be just fine."  Dear lord......

I'm not going to be that fan and hold Morris accountable for letting the biggest recruit in state leave (like Bielema 100% would have) because he's literally only been our coach for a few days. But if he is able to convince him to stay in spite of Arkansas' football program being a dumpster fire the past few years, that's gonna be a very big deal. Huge deal.
Your exactly right!  You can not lose your best in-state prospects year in and year out.  There is a statement to made here that will make others want to come.  A year or two down the road, GB will give Arkansas our best chance at being successful.  If you have ever watched this kid play in person, you would know.  DT QB's in this offense make defending it very hard.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbrew25 on December 17, 2017, 10:16:14 am
  Your exactly right!  You can not lose your best in-state prospects year in and year out.  There is a statement to made here that will make others want to come.  A year or two down the road, GB will give Arkansas our best chance at being successful.  If you have ever watched this kid play in person, you would know.  DT QB's in this offense make defending it very hard.

We have a dual threat committed and we have dual threats on campus.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 09:58:22 am
You can't force them to come, so while it may be a big deal in your eyes, it's not the end of football at Arkansas.

while it may not be the end of arkansas football... getting him could possibly make us relevant again... Arkansas cant lose its best talent even if its just one kid. That one kid could be the next DMAC or Matt Jones for the Arkansas program.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 09:58:22 am

Don't think anyone is saying that by any stretch.  However it will go a long ways towards making us the best we can be if we get the best Arkansas has to offer.   Just pure common sense.

The_Iceman

If Connor Noland plays football, it won't be a huge loss. But if he plays baseball AND we lose Bohanon, that's a big hit.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 17, 2017, 08:32:36 am
because Gerry picked his top 5 lol. Jesus, stop, we get it. You like Noland. Probably havent actually studied either one, but you like Noland better. We get it, Baw. GO TO THE NOLAND THREAD THEN.

Why are you constantly in the GMFBo threads hating on him? Just stop.

Offers from-\
Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Louisville, Notre Dame, Tennessee, ...
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Gerry-Bohanon-97613/RecruitInterests
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 17, 2017, 08:32:36 am
If Bohannon chooses us and ends up being a star, you'll have to open your 200th new account on here.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on December 17, 2017, 11:05:25 am
If Bohannon chooses us and ends up being a star, you'll have to open your 200th new account on here.
he's used to it. bout to get banned from twitter in the greatpurge tomorrow, too, probably LOL

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 17, 2017, 10:37:31 am
Don't think anyone is saying that by any stretch.  However it will go a long ways towards making us the best we can be if we get the best Arkansas has to offer.   Just pure common sense.

What if you replace said athlete, with a player of equal talent from out of state, wouldn't that make us the best we can be?

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 17, 2017, 10:36:37 am
while it may not be the end of arkansas football... getting him could possibly make us relevant again... Arkansas cant lose its best talent even if its just one kid. That one kid could be the next DMAC or Matt Jones for the Arkansas program.

Again, what if you take equal or better talent from another state, we can't be relevant with them? Montgomery and Ferguson were from out of state, they seemed to do ok.....

BenDial

We need to get both if we can. It's easier for us to get 5-8 SEC caliber players from state and 15+ from out of state than to get all 25 from out of state.

So the answer is, we need both. We need the Matt Joneses and the Darren McFaddens and we also need the Felix Joneses and the Joe Fergusons.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 17, 2017, 11:02:55 am
because Gerry picked his top 5 lol. Jesus, stop, we get it. You like Noland. Probably havent actually studied either one, but you like Noland better. We get it, Baw. GO TO THE NOLAND THREAD THEN.

Why are you constantly in the GMFBo threads hating on him? Just stop.

Offers from-\
Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Louisville, Notre Dame, Tennessee, ...
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Gerry-Bohanon-97613/RecruitInterests

When's Saban doing his in-home with him? What about Malzahn? Why no official visit to those places? Maybe those offers aren't commitable.  Like the scout said at the Elite 11 camp, "Interestingly, other recruiting analysts were wondering if all of the schools in his recently released top six would accept a commitment."

rtr

If Arkansas produces a P5 player, the Hogs need to recruit and sign him.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

bigbrew25

December 17, 2017, 12:49:33 pm #226 Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:01:32 pm by bigbrew25
Quote from: Peter Porker on December 17, 2017, 10:20:59 am
We have a dual threat committed and we have dual threats on campus.
We need a DT QB that is faster than 4.9 speed.  Someone who can make plays with his legs as well as his arm. Someone who can get the 10 yard gain instead of just 5.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 11:47:29 am
Again, what if you take equal or better talent from another state, we can't be relevant with them? Montgomery and Ferguson were from out of state, they seemed to do ok.....

sure we can... but we havent been..
Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 11:47:29 am
are we getting equal or better talent to replace him?

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 17, 2017, 12:51:38 pm
sure we can... but we havent been.. are we getting equal or better talent to replace him?

Recruiting period ends in February, we'll know by then. Who else was the #1 recruit, by a recruiting service, that left the state?  KJ Hill was the only one I could think of, so 1?

plumbhog

COM is doing all he can to get him. That's all we can ask for. We don't have to have every in state player, just every one we can get.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

plumbhog

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbrew25 on December 17, 2017, 12:49:33 pm
We need a DT QB that is faster than 4.9 speed.  Someone who can make plays with his legs as well as his arm. ;D

Get a clue. We have that.

Peter Porker

Allow me to express my point. I would love for us to sign Bohanon. However, unlike many posters I do not believe he's the savior of the program. I do wonder what the pushback from fans would be against the coaches if he is asked to switch positions eventually.

Edit: Additionally I believe we have to sign all of the top talent in the state regardless of position. We cannot afford to lose those few studs to rivals (although it appears Bohanon won't be going to a rival if he doesn't come here).

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 11:44:37 am
What if you replace said athlete, with a player of equal talent from out of state, wouldn't that make us the best we can be?

Great if it happens but I absolutely believe on putting the full press on our homegrown boys, that's all.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 17, 2017, 01:02:51 pm
Allow me to express my point. I would love for us to sign Bohanon. However, unlike many posters I do not believe he's the savior of the program. I do wonder what the pushback from fans would be against the coaches if he is asked to switch positions eventually.

Edit: Additionally I believe we have to sign all of the top talent in the state regardless of position. We cannot afford to lose those few studs to rivals (although it appears Bohanon won't be going to a rival if he doesn't come here).

I've seen this "amazing athlete/poor competition" thing play out too often.  I'd love to get him but can he beat out Kelly, Hyatt and Noland?  I'm not sure so it's not nearly as big a concern for me as would some other positions be.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 17, 2017, 01:15:23 pm
Great if it happens but I absolutely believe on putting the full press on our homegrown boys, that's all.

Especially this year when we've brought in a new staff who's already behind in recruiting.  The current class is likely not goin to be anything to write home about, but the in state guys are your best bet.  A must.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 17, 2017, 01:41:10 pm
I've seen this "amazing athlete/poor competition" thing play out too often.  I'd love to get him but can he beat out Kelly, Hyatt and Noland?  I'm not sure so it's not nearly as big a concern for me as would some other positions be.

Many agree with this, but this kid is apparently an excellent athlete who's probably Talented enough to be SEC caliber at another position if QB doesn't work out.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 17, 2017, 01:49:14 pm
Many agree with this, but this kid is apparently an excellent athlete who's probably Talented enough to be SEC caliber at another position if QB doesn't work out.

He would likely Redshirt next year anyway.  It is a BIG step from Class 2A High School to the SEC.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 17, 2017, 01:59:17 pm
He would likely Redshirt next year anyway.  It is a BIG step from Class 2A High School to the SEC.

It's a big step no matter what.  Redshirting him is great regardless of position..  Point is, he's a talented football player from inside the State.  A State that produces few SEC caliber, academically qualified football players.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 17, 2017, 01:47:35 pm
Especially this year when we've brought in a new staff who's already behind in recruiting.  The current class is likely not goin to be anything to write home about, but the in state guys are your best bet.  A must.

But these coaches have only been recruiting them for 10 days, you can't expect a 100% success rate in that time period. While we are did hard fans, most kids these days are willing to keep their options open.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 02:09:31 pm
But these coaches have only been recruiting them for 10 days, you can't expect a 100% success rate in that time period. While we are did hard fans, most kids these days are willing to keep their options open.

I didn't even imply 100%.  At all. 

This late in the process, the hope is the instate player does have at least some emotional connection to the program no matter the staff.  That's an easier sell than a kid out of Dallas with no connection to the state or program.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 17, 2017, 02:17:21 pm
I didn't even imply 100%.  At all. 

This late in the process, the hope is the instate player does have at least some emotional connection to the program no matter the staff.  That's an easier sell than a kid out of Dallas with no connection to the state or program.

Yet, some recruit out of Dallas may have a connection with the incoming staff.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 02:31:29 pm
Yet, some recruit out of Dallas may have a connection with the incoming staff.

And that's not to say we don't go after the Dallas recruit.  We have to do that.  The math clearly says so.  But the attitude that it's no big deal for a program like ours to lose an apparent legit SEC talent is completely asinine. 

hawginbigd1

The narrative that GB hasn't been recruited is BS, it really is this simple to me, you get GB, Jones, and Flanigan or this bunches professed recruiting acumen is all BS!

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 17, 2017, 02:45:13 pm
And that's not to say we don't go after the Dallas recruit.  We have to do that.  The math clearly says so.  But the attitude that it's no big deal for a program like ours to lose an apparent legit SEC talent is completely asinine. 

You don't know if it's a big deal or not for at least a year, sometimes longer. The fact that someone only has 1 SEC school in their final 4 may have some indication of "legit" SEC takent, correct?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 17, 2017, 03:48:20 pm
You don't know if it's a big deal or not for at least a year, sometimes longer. The fact that someone only has 1 SEC school in their final 4 may have some indication of "legit" SEC takent, correct?

My comments on this matter are intended to be general in nature.  GB is just an example.  We don't know that about ANY recruit.  And we ain't Bama either...who can afford to pass on lots of SEC caliber players.  Instate or not.. 

If the assumption is that an instate kid is legit SEC, then I'd opine he's a big deal for a program like UA's...a program that's always struggled to sign real SEC talent in any meaningful numbers.  By real SEC talent, I mean multiple offers from big boy SEC programs, or any other big boy P5 program.  It's not like out of state talent has ever lined up at our door.

Generally speaking, of course.

RaisinHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 17, 2017, 02:53:11 pm
The narrative that GB hasn't been recruited is BS, it really is this simple to me, you get GB, Jones, and Flanigan or this bunches professed recruiting acumen is all BS!

I may let them slide on GB .. but it's dang sure not a good look if they can't keep Jones and flanigan commitments.. I will be concerned if those two flip

ricepig

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 17, 2017, 04:31:22 pm
I may let them slide on GB .. but it's dang sure not a good look if they can't keep Jones and flanigan commitments.. I will be concerned if those two flip

He prepared to be concerned.

FrJoseph

For what it is worth from a new poster that is posting from Italy, GB is going to Baylor unless something happens between now and Tuesday. It's funny how some people think I suppose. GB wants to have a really good chance to start at QB in year one. He will have a better chance doing that at Baylor than AR. Even though I grew up out of state, I was raised an AR fan, big time. I KNEW however, I didn't have SEC talent. If I thought I did, I would have walked on and competed for a spot no matter how many guys were already at that spot. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

AlmaHog2011