Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stanton Traded to Yankees...sigh

Started by Hogs49ers, December 12, 2017, 12:00:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

December 12, 2017, 12:00:27 am Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:15:57 am by Hogs49ers
Who else feels like the MLB looks like a joke right now???  I would be so upset if I was a Marlins fan and I am still pretty upset because I have become a Red Sox fan with Benintendi being there now.  Did Boston really not put an offer out there for him??

EDIT:  Sorry I just learned that we have an MLB board haha!  Move if you feel that it should go over there. I also realize that this is a few days late, just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss with the good people over here that really know baseball and the MLB.
SCREW Vandy!

southarkhog06

Time to start buying titles again...  :puke: :puke: :puke:

onebadrubi

Razorback7281

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Kevin on December 12, 2017, 11:40:13 am
jeter still a yankee.

This, something shady is going on.  Also, how is Aaron Boone going from commentator to Manager of the biggest manager job in baseball?  Who is pulling all these strings?

Also, is that very common and are there past examples of that working with going into that position with no experience?
SCREW Vandy!

JONAS

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 12, 2017, 05:03:42 pm
This, something shady is going on.  Also, how is Aaron Boone going from commentator to Manager of the biggest manager job in baseball?  Who is pulling all these strings?

Also, is that very common and are there past examples of that working with going into that position with no experience?

Broadcaster to manager is not a common career path, but it's not without precedent.   Buck Martinez, Bob Brenly, Jerry Coleman, and Larry Dierker all were announcers before they became big-league skippers for the first time. 

As for the Yankees, Joe Girardi did broadcasting work before being named manager, but he also had managed the Marlins for a year before coming to New York.  Joe Torre had a long career as a manager and a few years in the broadcast booth before managing the Yankees.

Re the matter at hand, yes, Jeter's involvement in the Stanton trade is a very bad look for MLB, although the deal might be nothing more than the Marlins demonstrating yet again that they're an awful franchise.

sickboy

Normally, I'd be all for crapping on the Yankees and saying that Jeter is creating an All-Star farm team for the Yanks down in Miami. However, the Marlins wanted to send Stanton to the Giants and the Cards, but Stanton had the trade clause that dictated the cards were in his hands. Jeter even tried to hardball Stanton and tell him if that if he didn't acquiesce to the Giants or Cards deals that they'd punish Stanton by not trading him and keeping him stuck in Miami. That backfired when Stanton called Jeters bluff and then the only two teams left that Stanton would waive his trade clause to were the Dodgers and the Yankees. Dodgers loosely tried to make the deal work, because Stanton's an LA kid and wanted to to be a Dodger, but they couldn't afford to take on the hard money because of the luxury tax. Thus... the Yankees became the only real team that Stanton would wave his clause for and could afford that ridiculously massive deal.

The bulk of of the blame is really on the GM who gave Stanton that deal in the first place.

Another tidbit... Stanton somehow managed to keep his no-trade clause in the Yankee deal. So this same dance'll happen in the future if he's ever on the block.

hawkhawg

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 12, 2017, 07:19:34 pm
, although the deal might be nothing more than the Marlins demonstrating yet again that they're an awful franchise.

I know a lot of teams would love to have those two World Series championships in the last 20 years. But they are on what their forth owner in their short history.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: hawkhawg on December 12, 2017, 08:55:40 pm
I know a lot of teams would love to have those two World Series championships in the last 20 years. But they are on what their fourth owner in their short history.

Yup, the Marlins' history is choppy to say the least.  They have two MLB championships despite never winning their division and having only six winning seasons in 25 years of existence.