Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

December 11, 2017, 10:16:18 pm #500 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:36:52 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 09:48:28 pm
doubt that, unless they are putting up 20-40 draft picks a year...
It called exaggeration, but when it comes to players drafted, it is not off by a lot.  Especially not when you look at the first three rounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arkansas_Razorbacks_in_the_NFL_draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_players_in_the_NFL_draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LSU_Tigers_in_the_NFL_Draft
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

sowmonella

I'm not convinced it's Chavis.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: sowmonella on December 11, 2017, 10:18:15 pm

Well considering no one credible has said anything I agree.

Schaap has consistently been wrong on almost everything

qbrew

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 09:12:46 pm
lol, I would be excited about a Chavis hire, but a guy who cut his teeth at Tennessee with Fulmer and made his career with the ** ball control offenses at LSU wanting to be a part of/understanding  a hurry up spread program any more than guys who came up in hurry up spread is not strong logic.

Doesn't this fit basically every DC over the age of 40? The game has changed,  rather quickly.  They all have to adapt and learn.

HogNTX

I'm hoping this is to throw us off the scent of Venables... I doubt Venables comes but I wanted him as head coach... can't imagine getting him and Morris at this point.

Chavis would be a good get at DC and would lead to instant media credibility for our defense which helps with recruiting but not necessarily defense. However, Chavis would give us a better defense than we've seen around here in quite sometime.

Tankster

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 09:21:21 pm
they have reasons..

Not saying it is Chavis, but if it is probably won't be announced until after Jan 1

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 09:26:34 pm
See, that is the trick.

We played the bend don't break defense...and broke often.

It is my opinion, and only my opinion, that you have to attack, attack, attack this type of offense.  Blitz, run blitz, don't give the qb time to hold the ball and read the end without any threat of getting popped.  Make teams beat you deep.  Play bump and run on the edges.  Create turn overs. 

Those games will be track meets more times than not though.  I just don't like that kind of football.  It looks like we are going that way though.

Exactly...and while people's perception of CBP was that he ran more of a wide open offense, we were at our best when Knile Davis was running effectively, and play action worked well.  We could still control the LOS on offense, so we had answers when other teams tried different tactics. 

When the real spread "go fast" teams play against teams with great defenses, they rarely have answers.  Oregon was notorious for that.  Looked like they could beat the world, and then they would play someone with good corners...and when the wide passing game didn't work, the run game went with it.  Nothing left. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 05:17:12 pm
Good people in an "abandoned his home country to move to the godless communist haven" kind of way.  ;D

You know me too well.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

sowmonella

Quote from: Tankster on December 11, 2017, 10:28:18 pm
Not saying it is Chavis, but if it is probably won't be announced until after Jan 1
Why? Did Jimbo retain him at A&M?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkSoda

Quote from: sowmonella on December 11, 2017, 11:19:05 pm
Why? Did Jimbo retain him at A&M?
hasn't been fired yet, so I assume he is coaching the bowl.

thanks to bret, we don't have to worry about that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ImHawgWild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 01:45:06 pm
Not upset.  Just not excited.  Our last half dozen or more DC's have all had a bad job: DC at Arkansas.  Chavis has had great DC jobs.  Well till A&M and it should still be much better than Arkansas.  Not much of a worse job in the SEC than DC at Arkansas.  This would be unlike any situation Chavis has been in.  No 4 and 5 star recruits on each level of the D and not too many NFL difference makers at Arkansas on D.  Now throw in a spread coach who is focusing on recruiting from Texas.  Chavis must be desperate or not ready to retire.

By that logic, is there any DC in the country that could come here & be successful?

Pig in the Pokey

lots of money involved.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 10:38:02 pm
Exactly...and while people's perception of CBP was that he ran more of a wide open offense, we were at our best when Knile Davis was running effectively, and play action worked well.  We could still control the LOS on offense, so we had answers when other teams tried different tactics. 

When the real spread "go fast" teams play against teams with great defenses, they rarely have answers.  Oregon was notorious for that.  Looked like they could beat the world, and then they would play someone with good corners...and when the wide passing game didn't work, the run game went with it.  Nothing left.
this is the clemson style spread. it's 4 main plays from a ton of formations with misdirection. Not so much like chip kelly's other than the tempo.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

redeye

Any chance this "Chief" could be Gary Gibbs, the LB coach for the Kansas City Chiefs?

Al Boarland

Quote from: ImHawgWild on December 11, 2017, 11:27:20 pm
By that logic, is there any DC in the country that could come here & be successful?

Definite success. You aren't going to be successful with impact players at every level of the D. Offenses now are adept at exploiting weaknesses.

Pork Twain

December 12, 2017, 04:57:04 am #515 Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:08:13 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: zeke_in_kc on December 12, 2017, 04:27:32 am
Chavis is not "the best DC in the country."

If its him, that's falsehood number one.
That is a matter of opinion.  That being said, I would prefer someone with a little more spring chicken in them and not social security age.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Le Hogtre

I am going to get the best DC in the country....from 1998.

qbrew

Quote from: Le Hogtre on December 12, 2017, 05:57:41 am
I am going to get the best DC in the country....from 1998.

Or 2011 when he won the Broyles award.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ur on December 11, 2017, 07:40:31 pm
https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/coaching-changes/chavis-possible-new-dc-at-arkansas/74127426/

Good take from other SEC teams' fans. They love the possibility of Chavis coming to Arkansas. That should give many of you pause.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

LZH

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 11, 2017, 05:22:15 pm
It's clear that our team needs a good, young DC.

....With 25 years of SEC experience.

Chavis just had a facelift, pouring over Top 40 tunes, and is doing the six-pack abs program.....problems solved.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: qbrew on December 11, 2017, 10:20:21 pm
Doesn't this fit basically every DC over the age of 40? The game has changed,  rather quickly.  They all have to adapt and learn.

Chad is 49. ALL coaches have to adapt from time to time and learn. The experienced one's have more of a base to start with. When doing math one has to learn the basics before doing Calculus.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 12, 2017, 06:22:32 am
Good take from other SEC teams' fans. They love the possibility of Chavis coming to Arkansas. That should give many of you pause.

Yeah, because the LSU fans that blame him for losing 20-17 have a clue.

Listen if Chavis comes here especially early we will have mediocre to poor defensive games. But overall that guy is going to have us aggressive and playing close to our max potential

LSU fans were alittle more appreciative of Chavis when Steele was their DC. Now that they have Aranda they can afford to be more cynical

Also why are we still cover this. Absolutely nobody with credibility has mentioned this.

hogcards

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on December 12, 2017, 04:27:32 am
Chavis is not "the best DC in the country."

If its him, that's falsehood number one.

+1000

It's not Chavis.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 02:48:53 am
Any chance this "Chief" could be Gary Gibbs, the LB coach for the Kansas City Chiefs?

I had the same thought, but CMM said he was the best DC in college football. Maybe I'm reading too much into semantics here but he is not in college football.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 12, 2017, 06:22:32 am

lol at that being a "good take."
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

LuckyGiraffe

I expect names to be slowly floated... throughout the month...

Been10Hog

If it was Chavis, no reason to not have announced it by now

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ImHawgWild on December 11, 2017, 11:27:20 pm

We have to define what success is at Arkansas on defense especially if we end up leaving our defense on the field more than most.  It's possible to have competent defenses at Arkansas every so often when we have a unique for us defender or two and a bunch of upperclassmen who stay healthy.  Beyond that, maybe a season like 2014 where we faced a number of teams with poor or injured QBs which helped.  But is it possible to do consistently, I doubt it for any DC.  For the record again, I'm not against hiring Chavis. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

No one knows Chavis like Tenn, LSU, and TAMU fans.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgwash

Quote from: Been10Hog on December 12, 2017, 08:24:26 am
If it was Chavis, no reason to not have announced it by now
Does his current contract have buyout provisions that go away, or go down, in a few weeks?

rljjr

Why? Contract? It's not like the Aggies are playing for anything significant.

Hawgndaaz

Its the most hogville thing ever to snub your nose at Chavis. We have had a bottom dweller defense for the past recent memory in the SEC, and we are too good for one of the more decorated veterans in the game.

blu

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 12, 2017, 08:28:12 am
Its the most hogville thing ever to snub your nose at Chavis. We have had a bottom dweller defense for the past recent memory in the SEC, and we are too good for one of the more decorated veterans in the game.

+1
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 12, 2017, 08:28:12 am

This!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

PermianPig

Chavis wouldn't be a bad pickup.  He does know the SEC. 
I have heard some issues with his recruiting effort's, but I would be shocked if ag doesn't try to keep him around.
What is his contract for today?  1.5m?  We would have to pay upwards of 2m for him.  Would everyone be ok with that?  ;D

Atlhogfan1

Not hard to get decorated when coaching defenses like 2012 LSU with 8 NFL draft picks on it.  Or Tennessee where he had 39 NFL draft picks as DC stopping with the 2009 draft (players like Eric Berry drafted in 2010 also played for him).  16 of the picks were 1st or 2nd rounders.  6 future pro bowlers.

Hogs had 25 in that time.  5 first or 2nd rounders.  Ken Hamlin made 1 pro bowl.

Our program would present Chavis with the least amount of talent to work with since he coached at Alabama A&M as an assistant in the 80s.  Lets not consider that though in how he may do at Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog Red

Texas A&M defensive stats under Chavis

Rushing Yds/g defense ranking (out of 128 teams)
2015- #104 (205.9) yds/g
2016- #75   (189.6) yds/g
2017-#62    (164.6) yds/g

Passing Yds/g defense ranking
2015- #4   (161.3) yds/g
2016- #98 (254.6) yds/g
2017- #68 (224.1) yds/g

Looks like a pretty good passing D in 2015 (or maybe teams weren't passing on them because they had one of the worst run defenses in the nation).
  I don't see anything that screams great (or even very good) D coordinator. Morris told his players that he was going to get the best D coordinator in the country, So it can't be Chavis.

Tankster

Quote from: hawgwash on December 12, 2017, 08:27:50 am
Does his current contract have buyout provisions that go away, or go down, in a few weeks?

Yes...  December 31st.

Don't forget he got sued by LSU when leaving there (different situation altogether, but not forgotten), so between the money and just not having to worry about any contract issues, it makes sense for him to not make any moves til 2018 whether it is Arkansas or somewhere else unless the Ags cut him loose

nwahogfan1

Has Chavis ever had a top 10 defense?  Last 3 years at A&M was not impressive.  He did not even have a top 50 defense there. He is in his 60s, below average results at A&M  and doesn't like recruiting so what is his appeal?

Let get the best up and comer DC who likes to recruit with SEC or Texas connections.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hog Red on December 12, 2017, 08:57:41 am
Texas A&M defensive stats under Chavis

Rushing Yds/g defense ranking (out of 128 teams)
2015- #104 (205.9) yds/g
2016- #75   (189.6) yds/g
2017-#62    (164.6) yds/g

Passing Yds/g defense ranking
2015- #4   (161.3) yds/g
2016- #98 (254.6) yds/g
2017- #68 (224.1) yds/g

Looks like a pretty good passing D in 2015 (or maybe teams weren't passing on them because they had one of the worst run defenses in the nation).
  I don't see anything that screams great (or even very good) D coordinator. Morris told his players that he was going to get the best D coordinator in the country, So it can't be Chavis.

I agree that we can do better, much better.

King Kong

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 12, 2017, 09:10:19 am
Has Chavis ever had a top 10 defense?  Last 3 years at A&M was not impressive.  He did not even have a top 50 defense there. He is in his 60s, below average results at A&M  and doesn't like recruiting so what is his appeal?

Let get the best up and comer DC who likes to recruit with SEC or Texas connections.

Not below average for A&M.

Seebs

Man did Barrett Sallee criticize Chavis on the Morning Rush today. Said he is old and out of touch.  Lauded the assistant DC for South Carolina.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Wildhog

Quote from: Seebs on December 12, 2017, 09:14:05 am
Man did Barrett Sallee criticize Chavis on the Morning Rush today. Said he is old and out of touch.  Lauded the assistant DC for South Carolina.

And now Sallee will be bashed.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 12, 2017, 09:10:19 am
Has Chavis ever had a top 10 defense? 

Please tell me this is a joke?

Wooderson

His D at A&M gave up 5.5 yards per play.  Ours gave up 6.5, so it would be a good improvement.  If we can find a way to get into the less than 5 yards per play we would be in great shape.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

RebelliousHog

Nor am I.  If it were why wouldn't he have signed by now? He has no obligations to TAMU.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 09:42:06 pm
This was one of the reasons I mentioned Joe Lee Dunn earlier.  He kind of made the 3-3-5 famous.  He played a minnow bucket defense.  Players would hover around the line, some of them down, some of the standing up, moving, switching, no way for the offense to pre-read the defense.  That kind of mindset must be brought back to cause these offenses to slow down and think.  Again, just my opinion.
Good call.  It may reduce the amount of head bobbing to the sideline that goes on now. 

Pork Ranger

Not a fan of DC's that coach from the box

tbhogfan

The only thing I'm convinced of is that the new DC has another game (or two) to coach in their current gig. 
Go Hogs!