Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SooieGeneris

Quote from: synthartist69 on December 11, 2017, 05:06:20 pm
This is NOT the best defensive coordinator in all of football!!!!

The best DC in all of football is in the eye of the beholder. Some would say Venables is the best, OU ran him out on a rail a few years back saying he wasn't nearly as good as Mike Stoops.

Then Mike Stoops came in and struggled, got thumped by Clemson twice in Bowl/playoff games.

Venables wasn't fired, but OU fans weren't sorry to see him go.

Mark Stoops was considered the best when he was at FSU. His defenses at UK have been nothing special. I know he's HC, but you'd think he could hire a good DC.

I wouldn't necessarily be excited about Chavis, but he has chops as a DC.

The players we could get would determine his level of success, but you could say that about pretty much any one we hired.

With good players he could make this defense much better and he could maybe get much more out of Agim and some players already on campus.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

ur

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2017, 06:12:43 pm
Did Steve Caldwell ever serve as DC for us? Or, just a position coach? He was a position coach under Chavis at TN. That's the best I've got.

Keith Burns
Joe Lee Dunn
Reggie Herring
Willy Robinson
Robb Smith
Paul Rhoads

Probably missing one or two in there somewhere.

Dave Wommack, Paul Haynes, Bobby Allen, John Thompson, maybe more.

No, Caldwell was never DC here. He was DE coach and found/recruited Trey Flowers and several other under-the-radar recruits who turned out well.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

HoggyCat

Quote from: qbrew on December 11, 2017, 04:32:29 pm
So he is a terrible recruiter (No sources cited) and his success was only because of good recruiting? This thread is Crazy.

He was said to be a lazy recruiter onjere.....

And apparently he benefitted from other coaches' excellent recruiting....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 03:57:50 pm
I know the difference in talent from LSU and Arkansas on the defensive side.  The difference in Tennessee under Fulmer for most of his tenure and Arkansas on the defensive side. 

Go check the NCAA archives and you'll see some pretty good defenses at Arkansas.  For example, Arkansas was 12th in Total Defense in 2000.  Tennessee was 13th that year.  Nutt had pretty good defenses in general. Total Defenses in the 30s about average.  Ford had some good defenses.  Broyles, Holtz and Hatfield were all known for good defenses.  Arkansas' s defense fell off the cliff with Petrino, Smiley and Bielema.  Petrino had one defense under 50 - 34th in 2010.  Bielema had one, but it was very good - 10th in 2014.  Since then Arkansas has been historically dreadful.  This year was the worst at 103rd.

Chavis' s record speaks for itself, but he's had a few off years.  His A&M years haven't been great.  He did take A&M from 102 to 51 the year he took over.  We'd be happy next year at 51. 

Saying Arkansas can't field a great defense ignores history.  Saying Chavis isn't one of the best DC's in the business does the same.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:33:14 pm
Chavis had twice as much talent at TAMU than he'd have at Arkansas.
Well, tell the phat bastard to sit at home and let's hire some DC from Missouri St
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChicoHog

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 11, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
Never thought I'd see the day Arkansas fans would be upset about John Chavis as DC. Have you seen our last half dozen DC's?? This fanbase really is insane.
Not so much about the DC's scheme.  About the DC's ability to get top players.  Can Chavis do that?  I have my doubts. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Paul on December 11, 2017, 03:53:45 pm
he underachieved at Tenn with top 10 talent & stayed on longer than he fans wanted because of his close relationship with Fulmer.   I will agree he did better at LSU where his D was loaded with talent & played opposite an offense which primarly ran the ball.  Morris's offense will be more like Sumlin's, spread with less ball control, so we'll see if he can can learn to coexist with that type of offense.  Definitely disappointed though

Go check the archives on Chavis' s underacheiving defenses at Tennessee.  Many in the top 10.  His 2008 defense, the year Fulmer got canned?  Third in Total Defense. 

logand02

What evidence do we have Chavis is in play?

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: JusJim on December 11, 2017, 05:34:31 pm
All of you all complaining about Chavis' age.  He is NOT old.  He's barely over 60, which is not that old in this day and age.  And someone comparing him to Saban's age.  Saban is mid to upper 60's, although he probably does look younger.

Dick LaBeau is the Tennessee Titans' DC.  He's 80.  The Titans are 10th in the NFL in
Total Defense. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hoglady on December 11, 2017, 06:54:33 pm
The odds of Venables coming was like 0.00000001%.
Surely, most realized that.

Chavis has a better chance of getting a job better than Arkansas than we do of getting a DC better than Chavis.
I would consider us very lucky to get him.
WAS? link to him not coming.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RazorNick

December 11, 2017, 08:28:43 pm #412 Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:18:33 am by RazorNick
You all are looking at this all wrong. It is Bob Sutton of the Kansas City Chiefs

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 11, 2017, 08:05:41 pm
Not so much about the DC's scheme.  About the DC's ability to get top players.  Can Chavis do that?  I have my doubts.
we literally had a top 10 defense 3 years ago...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

nurowdy

Evidence?  That's not how the internet works.  Ask Tennessee. 

hview

We really need a DC that will get out on the road and recruit. Will Chavis expend the energy necessary to recruit or is he just an X and O coach while his assistants beat the bushes for recruits.  You may know how to build a good defense, maybe you can X and O all day long, but it's a futile effort without players to execute your defense. As some have mentioned, I don't know if recruiting is his forte.

HoggusMaximus

can someone surmise this 9 pages of crap and tell me what the deal is with chavis?

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: qbrew on December 11, 2017, 04:32:29 pm
So he is a terrible recruiter (No sources cited) and his success was only because of good recruiting? This thread place is mostly Crazy.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hview on December 11, 2017, 08:32:25 pm
We really need a DC that will get out on the road and recruit. Will Chavis expend the energy necessary to recruit or is he just an X and O coach while his assistants beat the bushes for recruits.  You may know how to build a good defense, maybe you can X and O all day long, but it's a futile effort without players to execute your defense. As some have mentioned, I don't know if recruiting is his forte.
Bingo!  Defense is all about recruiting.  Stud athletes is the key. 

checkraiser88

Can somebody send me a link referring to Chavis and hatred for recruiting? How has he worked for 20 years in football then?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 08:02:23 pm
Go check the NCAA archives and you'll see some pretty good defenses at Arkansas.  For example, Arkansas was 12th in Total Defense in 2000.  Tennessee was 13th that year.  Nutt had pretty good defenses in general. Total Defenses in the 30s about average.  Ford had some good defenses.  Broyles, Holtz and Hatfield were all known for good defenses.  Arkansas' s defense fell off the cliff with Petrino, Smiley and Bielema.  Petrino had one defense under 50 - 34th in 2010.  Bielema had one, but it was very good - 10th in 2014.  Since then Arkansas has been historically dreadful.  This year was the worst at 103rd.

Chavis' s record speaks for itself, but he's had a few off years.  His A&M years haven't been great.  He did take A&M from 102 to 51 the year he took over.  We'd be happy next year at 51. 

Saying Arkansas can't field a great defense ignores history.  Saying Chavis isn't one of the best DC's in the business does the same.

Didn't say that.  Read all the posts in this thread.  I don't care about the ancient Arkansas defenses Beano.  In our SEC era it has been infrequent and gotten worse as the spread has taken over. 

Chavis has had 2 great D.C. jobs where many coaches would have had success.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

thebignasty

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 11, 2017, 08:32:33 pm
can someone surmise this 9 pages of crap and tell me what the deal is with chavis?
Trey Schaap made a tweet that was maybe about him. 
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 08:29:19 pm
we literally had a top 10 defense 3 years ago...

Faced a number of poor or injured qbs. Good D made much better by competition. An exception for us. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 08:08:32 pm
Go check the archives on Chavis' s underacheiving defenses at Tennessee.  Many in the top 10.  His 2008 defense, the year Fulmer got canned?  Third in Total Defense.

Go check the recruiting classes at Tennessee.  Ours aren't comparable. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:38:28 pm
but I thought He didn't recruit.  which is it?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 08:42:35 pm
but I thought He didn't recruit.  which is it?

Ask Wild. 

He didn't have to with Fulmer or at LSU. 

Hollywood870

WilsonHog

It doesn't much matter who our next DC is; until we sign elite talent on that side of the football, we will struggle.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:44:37 pm
Ask Wild. 

right, that's why he was a DC in the SEC for 20+ years because he can't coach and can't recruit.  what were all those defensive focused programs doing all those years employing someone like that.

hiring no names from other conferences has worked out for us so well. 

did it ever occur to anyone that other teams are successful and recruit well because they have good coaches?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 11, 2017, 08:47:02 pm
It doesn't much matter who our next DC is; until we sign elite talent on that side of the football, we will struggle.

I hear Joe Lee Dunn is available.  He had a crazy defensive scheme.

Retired Radio Host

farmhawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 11, 2017, 08:32:33 pm
Its all about the journey....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 11, 2017, 08:47:02 pm

Yes.

Chavis may would lessen the struggle.  Or wonder what the hell he got himself into. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 08:48:40 pm
right, that's why he was a DC in the SEC for 20+ years because he can't coach and can't recruit.  what were all those defensive focused programs doing all those years employing someone like that.

hiring no names from other conferences has worked out for us so well.

Ask those who said he didn't recruit.  I did not make the claim.   

Nipsey Mussle

Who is this John Chavis everyone is talking about? Frankly, he sounds made up.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 11, 2017, 08:49:10 pm
I hear Joe Lee Dunn is available.  He had a crazy defensive scheme.

He wearing socks yet?

fullfan

What kind of salary will Chavis command?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:51:59 pm
Ask those who said he didn't recruit.  I did not make the claim.   
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:38:28 pm
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:44:37 pm
Ask Wild
maybe I miss interpreted.

maybe if we had a DC with 20+ years experience in the SEC and some rings to go with it, we might be able to recruit defense better...

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 08:35:36 pm
Didn't say that.  Read all the posts in this thread.  I don't care about the ancient Arkansas defenses Beano.  In our SEC era it has been infrequent and gotten worse as the spread has taken over. 

Chavis has had 2 great D.C. jobs where many coaches would have had success.

I don't consider UT a great DC job. They haven't been good since he left

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on December 11, 2017, 08:58:02 pm
I don't consider UT a great DC job. They haven't been good since he left

It was in the 90s and early 2000s.  Much better than ours. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 08:54:46 pm
maybe I miss interpreted.

maybe if we had a DC with 20+ years experience in the SEC and some rings to go with it, we might be able to recruit defense better...

Doubtful.  Recruits like staying relatively close to home usually and we don't have enough.  It isn't going to matter. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 09:00:53 pm
Doubtful.  Recruits like staying in relatively close to home usually and we don't have enough.  It isn't going to matter. 
recruits like to win.  they also like to go to the NFL so that they can guy their mom a house close by to watch all the games.  recruiting is about convincing them that your program can offer that.

Paul

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 07:01:15 pm

Not from me.

I've thought Chavis was just average for years.

He's past his prime and a bad fit for Arkansas.
i agree

thebignasty

But they win

searkhogfan

I think I'll let CCM hire the Def. Coordinator he wants.  And be happy to have him. Woo Pig

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 11, 2017, 09:07:38 pm
I think I'll let CCM hire the Def. Coordinator he wants.  And be happy to have him. Woo Pig

Just hire someone already.

There are 10 pages of this based off of a cryptic tweet about a "chief." 

I keep hitting refresh on here to see if we have hired someone today.
Retired Radio Host

PorkSoda

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 09:06:45 pm
Probably about 1.5 mil
its about time we ante'd up for a real DC.  TAMU paid him 1.55 so you are prolly about right

WilsonHog

Consider this.

When defensive coordinators hear things like "hammer down," what they translate that to mean is "by design, my defense is going to be on the field a whole lot." In the context of SEC football, even an extra 4:00 or so a game may qualify as back-breaking, especially late in the fourth quarter.

How many young guys are going to be willing to put that on their resume? Would a guy like Marion Hobby, who has also been mentioned (and would be a good one)?

Now take a guy like John Chavis. He's been a SEC defensive coordinator for 25 years. He has long since made his bones as a DC. Bring him in, take advantage of his knowledge and experience of SEC offenses and personnel, and let him mentor some of the young pups on staff.

thebignasty

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 11, 2017, 09:09:44 pm
Consider this.

When defensive coordinators hear things like "hammer down," what they translate that to mean is "by design, my defense is going to be on the field a whole lot." In the context of SEC football, even an extra 4:00 or so a game may qualify as back-breaking, especially late in the fourth quarter.

How many young guys are going to be willing to put that on their resume? Would a guy like Marion Hobby, who has also been mentioned (and would be a good one)?

Now take a guy like John Chavis. He's been a SEC defensive coordinator for 25 years. He has long since made his bones as a DC. Bring him in, take advantage of his knowledge and experience of SEC offenses and personnel, and let him mentor some of the young pups on staff.

lol, I would be excited about a Chavis hire, but a guy who cut his teeth at Tennessee with Fulmer and made his career with the ** ball control offenses at LSU wanting to be a part of/understanding  a hurry up spread program any more than guys who came up in hurry up spread is not strong logic.
But they win

PorkSoda

Consider this.

you know what drives up ToP and helps the defense stay fresh?  first downs.  you know what pumps the defense up? rewarding stops with TD's instead of 3nOuts

I agree, he will bring a lot of needed experience to the table.  I expect morris to take advantage of that.

Ugly Uncle

Consider this.

This exactly.

Chavis is exactly the person to do that.

Until someone comes up with an exotic defense that shuts down these trick or treat, peek-a-boo offenses this is the best we can hope for.
Retired Radio Host