Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I haven't felt this positive since..?

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, December 08, 2017, 01:52:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

The day before Petrino's accident. You?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

traffordhog

Sure has a positive vibe to it now!  I am really looking forward to seeing these guys actually be coached by someone who knows what they're doing. 

jgphillips3

VirginiaHog

We beat Texas in the Texas bowl. I thought we were moving up. Didn't happen obviously.

EconHawg

November 22, 2014.

I sat in the rain all day watching the beat down of Ole Miss and was on the field after the LSU game the week before. I really thought we were going places.

Little did we know we were living out the song "Green Green Grass of Home" and the last verse was about to start.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Snout team

Woah!  I really like this hire.  I am very hopefully he will win quickly and often.  But just before April 1 of the infamous Harley ride, my hopes were at their highest in 45+ years of being a hog fan.  Of course I didn't know everything going on behind the scenes back then or I wouldn't have been as optimistic.

Now, I would run through a wall for CCM but I am realistic enough to believe this is going to be a process.  It may be a slow process. 

His quote about "You either have speed or you are chasing speed" said the most.  That is not something he can walk in and change other than a few years of recruiting.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JONAS

Quote from: traffordhog on December 08, 2017, 01:58:13 pm
Sure has a positive vibe to it now!  I am really looking forward to seeing these guys actually be coached by someone who knows what they're doing.

Me too.

Hawginj

Quote from: EconHawg on December 08, 2017, 02:04:25 pm
November 22, 2014.

I sat in the rain all day watching the beat down of Ole Miss and was on the field after the LSU game the week before. I really thought we were going places.

Little did we know we were living out the song "Green Green Grass of Home" and the last verse was about to start.
Im with you there wet and cold and thought alright we are gonna do this and next thing you know

Wildhog

I have this strange feeling of... hope?  Is that what's it called?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Irontusk

AHorseWithNoName

"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

rhog1

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 08, 2017, 02:06:19 pm
Woah!  I really like this hire.  I am very hopefully he will win quickly and often.  But just before April 1 of the infamous Harley ride, my hopes were at their highest in 45+ years of being a hog fan.  Of course I didn't know everything going on behind the scenes back then or I wouldn't have been as optimistic.

Now, I would run through a wall for CCM but I am realistic enough to believe this is going to be a process.  It may be a slow process. 

His quote about "You either have speed or you are chasing speed" said the most.  That is not something he can walk in and change other than a few years of recruiting.
I actually feel like we have a lot of talent especially in the skill positions that just wasn't being used properly. Now both lines are probably going to take a year or two to improve through recruiting.

311Hog

we shut out LSU for Beliema's first SEC win.

rhog1

I really thought we were going in the right direction after the Texas bowl.

phadedhawg

I had about zero optimism going into the season and saw nothing this year to rethink  that.  I'm glad we are getting a fresh start but my enthusiasm won't kick in until September.  I'm not going to buy into the spring ball hype.  Even though there's a new sheriff in town, it's still the same ole media covering the hogs.  Every year they have half the fanbase thinking playoffs during spring ball.  When we see them in action we find out the truth. 

Again, if that seems negative, it's more to do with the way our beat writers cover the hogs, especially when they get a bit excited.  I expect good things from Morris.

Also, to clarify, there are some writers who are much worse at doing this than others.  People like Mike Irwin give it to you straighter than most, so my comment isn't meant to cast him in any negative light.

bphi11ips

I don't think it will be nearly as slow a process as some think.  Arkansas returns a solid core of experience and talent.  It will be easier to go uptempo from here than it was to convert Petrino's 20 skinny receivers to ground and pound.  There is more talent and depth  at QB than Bielema found when he arrived.  The schedule may be the friendliest we have seen since the turn of the century.  Arkansas is a good candidate for one of the better turnarounds in 2018.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

AHorseWithNoName

My colonoscopy results came back negative. 
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

JONAS

Hope was lost right after we beat LSU in Baton Rouge in 2015.  The next week we had a chance to beat MSU.  Instead of playing to win and scoring a TD, BB decided to run clock and kick a FG to win.   It was blocked, and hope died that night.

Calling All Hogs

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Oh I agree it's going to be a process, but I haven't had this much faith in what someone else is telling me as I do in this guy. I trust that his method is going to work. I truly believe we will see daily improvement from day 1 to day 1000... I just cannot see him failing.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

kp72204

We were up 14-0 to LSU. Damn Honey Badger!!!!!!

masbas3

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 08, 2017, 01:52:02 pm

I wish it was the start of the 2018 Football season for the Hogs instead of getting ready to go into the dark days without football, it sucks.

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Al Boarland

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 08, 2017, 04:18:28 pm
Strong case of newhireitus

No... I didn't buy into CBB this way. I was positive, don't get me wrong, I'm always positive. I just didn't have the same internal confidence that this is the perfect guy for the job. I hope he see's that this is the perfect job to retire as well. He can make as much money here as anywhere, besides there isn't an area of the country that's as affordable with the amenities and scenery as NWA... I hope he likes being King of The Hill...

Someone just mentioned Nutt.  It was about 2 years ago that the rumor mill started that there was a huge push by the powers to bring back Nutt as the AD.  Well, that time appears to have just passed and it seems there was never a serious thought toward that.

I am feeling better as things like I just posted about Nutt passed by and no stupid action was taken.  I thought we would never get rid of Bret.  I never wanted him and could see that what I believed to begin with was correct only actually worse than I could ever imagine. 

We had an AD that I believed was a loser and still do believe that.  We may never know just how bad he was or I may be entirely wrong and he may have been decent, but what i witnessed along the way prevents me from believing in him.

It takes a Village to build a child or a football team.  I feel like we may have the starting foundation for a future in this program, a future that includes winning at a reasonable pace and turning out some decent citizens along the way. 

The inflection was that Mutt and Jeff, err, I mean Jeff and Bret had finally come along and turned out something besides outlaws and con men from the football program when that is just not the truth.  We will learn you can run fast, hit hard, avoid getting hit and still be a decent citizen.

I feel more positive daily when I see the current regime appearing to do what hasn't been done in years here and that is put a little thought into the process because its the process that builds the team and the individuals.

HogPharmer

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 08, 2017, 03:19:27 pm
My colonoscopy results came back negative.

I bet that was the last time you ever went to that dentist.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

GoldCoastHog

Bobby Petrino was starting to make me feel a cockiness I hadn't felt since Holtz.

TNarch

The first play of the first game this season....pretty much went downhill from there.

SouthFloridaHog

I am looking forward to 2018 season more than I have since  CBP
Is it duck season?

SooieGeneris

I heard Mike Irwin on the radio today trying to tamp down optimism with a "we're just poor lil' ol' Arkansas" diatribe. He kept repeating our SEC record is 90-116-2 and "let that sink in."

"I don't know why anyone is optimistic about that" he intoned. 

I had to turn it off, because I knew if I called in and told facts, I wouldn't get far with Lil' Bo Peep before getting cut off.

LBP is fact challenged, just wants to spout off barstool philosophy off the top of his bald head, but here is what I came up with in my research:

In UA's first 20 years in the SEC, from 1992-2011 the SEC football record was 77-81-2, a winning percentage of .488 if you count ties as half a win and half a loss, .481 if you count the pct. of actual wins.

Why the first 20 years? For one thing, the start of the 2012 season was when Texas A&M and Missouri first competed in the SEC.

Mainly though, the 20 first seasons in the SEC dove-tailed with an event the likes of which this football program may have never seen.

April Fool's Day, April 1, 2012 was the UA football program's version of Pearl Harbor, the day Petrino wrecked that Harley.

There's no need to go into all the details again of the subsequent firing and the hiring of John L. Smith as Interim HC.

But here are the facts: from 1992-2011, we were just under .500 in SEC play, the 7th best record in the conference during that time.

Not great, but considering the Crowe firing right before SEC play began in '92,

having a lame duck coach the rest of the season, and bringing in a burned out Danny Ford as he and Broyles fought over his staff most of his time here,

two players committed suicide during the Ford era,

the underachieving Nutt era with the constant drama and politicking behind the scenes, the Mustain mess and infamous email, Gus being forced on Nutt,

Gus leaving after one year to go to Tulsa for less pay as he was about to be demoted,

planes flying banners over the stadium and the media furor that followed,

then in comes Petrino with a nuclear reaction from the national media over the way he left Atlanta with 3 games remaining in the season,

then his messy firing and Smiley appointed to take over the reins of the preseason #5 team in the polls,

Two serious injuries on the field in that ULM fiasco, the subsequent loss after leading big early in the 2nd half as a prohibitive favorite,

yet, still with all that, 4 games under .500 before the start of the 2012 season.

77 wins vs last place Vandy's record of 26-134.

Care to know what the won loss record in SEC play is since? 13-35. Winning pct. .271.

Meaning that of that 26 games below .500 overall in SEC play, 22 of the losses happened since the start of the 2012 season and the start of the JLS era.

Long made a hire in Bielema that the national hailed as a stroke of genius. We know how that turned out. 11-29 in 5 years of SEC play or 18 of the 26 games under .500 in SEC action.

I don't know who CM will be able to get to be DC or on the defensive side of the ball. I don't know if he can get Bohannon on the Hill or who he will fill out the class with.

I do know this: this guy may be the first coach we've had in the SEC era who fit and didn't have major baggage.

Time will tell whether he's the "right" guy or not. But for the first time in what seems like decades, there is hope.

Here are the SEC records of everyone since 2012:

1. 'Bama 43-5
2. UGA 34-14
3. LSU 31-17
4. UF 30-18
5T. Aub. 25-23
5.T A&M 25-23
7T. MSU 24-24
7T. USCE 24-24
9. MO 23-25
10. OM 22-26
11T. TN 15-33
11T. Vand. 15-33
13 UA 13-35
14. UK 12-36

Some may hand-wring over the record of the last 6 years and say "it can't be done here" or  whatever.

I say if a total mediocrity like Nutt can go 42-38 in SEC play it not only can be done, winning more than 50% of SEC games that is, it will be done with the right coach who can coach and recruit.

I'm not expecting an SECW championship any time soon, nor winning 8 or 9 next year. 6-6 with hope of better things to come is fine for now, anything more than that is a bonus.

The see where we are in years 3-4.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

GoldCoastHog

Yeah, and the guy we just replaced accounted for 29 of those 116 conference losses in five seasons; including 0-8 and 1-7, our two worst records since joining the SEC in 1992. Let that sink in.
HE ACCOUNTED FOR 25% OF OUR LOSSES SINGLEHANDEDLY!!

farmhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 08, 2017, 03:18:12 pm
I don't think it will be nearly as slow a process as some think.  Arkansas returns a solid core of experience and talent.  It will be easier to go uptempo from here than it was to convert Petrino's 20 skinny receivers to ground and pound.  There is more talent and depth  at QB than Bielema found when he arrived.  The schedule may be the friendliest we have seen since the turn of the century.  Arkansas is a good candidate for one of the better turnarounds in 2018.
I agree, much faster fix on the offensive side. Defense not so sure.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

checkraiser88

I'll be honest, BB actually had a shot at one point. We had back to back shutouts of top 15 teams, and I was all BB at that point in time. Then there didn't seem to spark after that and all it came crashing down over the next few seasons. I'm back as excited as I ever was. I feel like we got the Art Briles without the baggage. We finally pulled in somebody that will bring this program back to a point that honestly makes me want to jizz in my pants thinking about it! TOO MUCH INFO I  KNOW!! lol but anyway we about to boogie!

Razorback Pastor

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 08, 2017, 05:45:48 pm
I bet that was the last time you ever went to that dentist.

Ha! That made me laugh out loud!

PORKULATOR

31-0 over Ole Miss after 17-0 over LSU. I FELT like we were on our way.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

checkraiser88

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 08, 2017, 07:16:04 pm
31-0 over Ole Miss after 17-0 over LSU. I FELT like we were on our way.

Me to man...me to....and then BAM! reality hit after that

WarEagleSharkFalconHawg

...Thurman hit the go ahead three pointer with 50 seconds left in the game.

Albert Einswine

Since Nutt got ran and we lucked into Petrino. Except I actually feel better about this than I did with Petrino because we as a fan base aren't having to make a defense against scathing national sports media criticism for hiring a pariah.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hogindasticks

I think that the difference in the offense is going to showcase our speed (which we have much more of) than our strength.  This difference in coaching philosophy should show up pretty quickly on the field since we do have speed.  The ball won't stay in the pocket long from what I am seeing, so our lack of OL will show up less I think.  They won't be on the hook to protect a pocket passer for the most part.  There is a huge difference in protecting a quarterback and attacking a defense.

jbigs77

Coach Morris has character, class act. BP was a AH who just knew how to coach, less talent and make things exciting. But couldn't win against smarter coaches. Saban, Miles had his number. 

Swestwill66

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 08, 2017, 06:58:18 pm
I heard Mike Irwin on the radio today trying to tamp down optimism with a "we're just poor lil' ol' Arkansas" diatribe. He kept repeating our SEC record is 90-116-2 and "let that sink in."

I had to turn it off, because I knew if I called in and told facts, I wouldn't get far with Lil' Bo Peep before getting cut off.

LBP is fact challenged, just wants to spout off barstool philosophy off the top of his bald head, but here is what I came up with in my research:

In UA's first 20 years in the SEC, from 1992-2011 the SEC football record was 77-81-2, a winning percentage of .488 if you count ties as half a win and half a loss, .481 if you count the pct. of actual wins.

Why the first 20 years? For one thing, the start of the 2012 season was when Texas A&M and Missouri first competed in the SEC.

Mainly though, the 20 first seasons in the SEC dove-tailed with an event the likes of which this football program may have never seen.

April Fool's Day, April 1, 2012 was the UA football program's version of Pearl Harbor, the day Petrino wrecked that Harley.

There's no need to go into all the details again of the subsequent firing and the hiring of John L. Smith as Interim HC.

But here are the facts: from 1992-2011, we were just under .500 in SEC play, the 7th best record in the conference during that time.

having a lame duck coach the rest of the season, and bringing in a burned out Danny Ford as he and Broyles fought over his staff most of his time here,

the underachieving Nutt era with the constant drama and politicking behind the scenes, the Mustain mess and infamous email, Gus being forced on Nutt,

Gus leaving after one year to go to Tulsa for less pay as he was about to be demoted,

then in comes Petrino with a nuclear reaction from the national media over the way he left Atlanta with 3 games remaining in the season,

then his messy firing and Smiley appointed to take over the reins of the preseason #5 team in the polls,

Two serious injuries on the field in that ULM fiasco, the subsequent loss after leading big early in the 2nd half as a prohibitive favorite,

yet, still with all that, 4 games under .500 before the start of the 2012 season.

Care to know what the won loss record in SEC play is since? 13-35. Winning pct. .271.

Meaning that of that 26 games below .500 overall in SEC play, 22 of the losses happened since the start of the 2012 season and the start of the JLS era.

Long made a hire in Bielema that the national hailed as a stroke of genius. We know how that turned out. 11-29 in 5 years of SEC play or 18 of the 26 games under .500 in SEC action.

I don't know who CM will be able to get to be DC or on the defensive side of the ball. I don't know if he can get Bohannon on the Hill or who he will fill out the class with.

I do know this: this guy may be the first coach we've had in the SEC era who fit and didn't have major baggage.

Time will tell whether he's the "right" guy or not. But for the first time in what seems like decades, there is hope.

1. 'Bama 43-5
2. UGA 34-14
3. LSU 31-17
4. UF 30-18
5T. Aub. 25-23
5.T A&M 25-23
7T. MSU 24-24
7T. USCE 24-24
9. MO 23-25
10. OM 22-26
11T. TN 15-33
11T. Vand. 15-33
13 UA 13-35
14. UK 12-36

Some may hand-wring over the record of the last 6 years and say "it can't be done here" or  whatever.

I say if a total mediocrity like Nutt can go 42-38 in SEC play it not only can be done, winning more than 50% of SEC games that is, it will be done with the right coach who can coach and recruit.

I'm not expecting an SECW championship any time soon, nor winning 8 or 9 next year. 6-6 with hope of better things to come is fine for now, anything more than that is a bonus.

Mother of all posts! ( today )

HawgWyld

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 08, 2017, 01:52:02 pm

That sums up this hire perfectly. My first thought after Petrino got canned was the very Waterboy-esque "Oh, no! We suck again!"

The hog meister

One second before he kicked started that motorcycle and pulled that girl on board. Glad to have an exciting offense once again!     wps

hawginbigd1

JONAS

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 08, 2017, 06:58:18 pm

1. 'Bama 43-5
2. UGA 34-14
3. LSU 31-17
4. UF 30-18
5T. Aub. 25-23
5.T A&M 25-23
7T. MSU 24-24
7T. USCE 24-24
9. MO 23-25
10. OM 22-26
11T. TN 15-33
11T. Vand. 15-33
13 UA 13-35
14. UK 12-36

+1

Aunt_Razorback

November 22, 2014.

The ability to retain dry humor and appreciation of irony even in times of woe is an Arkansas gift  👊🏼  I actually had to google the song. Perfect.

Oklahawg

November 22, 2014.

That sounds about right.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra