Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark St is even calling us losers now

Started by cjack, October 23, 2017, 03:56:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogdomer

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 23, 2017, 04:00:41 pm
I gotta admit that was funny!

It was?  I've heard a variation on this a thousand times with different schools being the foil.  It's a stale dad joke and he only said it because it's safe to kick a dog while he's down. 

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: cjack on October 23, 2017, 03:56:12 pm
I don't remember a time in my life when a coach at any school, especially Arkansas State, could come into the Little Rock touchdown club and say this (to laughter)

http://twitter.com/TheJayBir/status/922539741391843328

You do realize that from 1990-2010 they went 77-165. They have had 5 decent seasons, let them crow a bit. We will be back.

HogRyder

Quote from: rtr on October 23, 2017, 09:06:09 pm
Actually, I like the gamesmanship and the bravado.  Blake Anderson moved up on my coaching list.

He sounds  like a football coach.  I bet his players play like football players too. 

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 09:16:27 pm
Well apparently there is one 2nd grader that knows.
You do realize that that is an old joke that you just fill in the blanks on,right?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 23, 2017, 09:21:41 pm
You do realize that that is an old joke that you just fill in the blanks on,right?
Right, and my response was a joke.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

TNRazorbacker

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteYou do realize that that is an old joke that you just fill in the blanks on,right?

You do realize that you couldn't just "fill in the blanks" and make the joke work like it did if Arkansas had a decent football program and Arkansas State sucked........

right?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on October 23, 2017, 09:28:14 pm
You do realize that you couldn't just "fill in the blanks" and make the joke work like it did if Arkansas had a decent football program and Arkansas State sucked........

right?
Yeah I also realize ASU plays in one of if not the weakest conferences in the country. They get beat when they play non conference foes.

factchecker

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on October 23, 2017, 09:28:14 pm

right?

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 23, 2017, 09:30:40 pm
Yeah I also realize ASU plays in one of if not the weakest conferences in the country. They get beat when they play non conference foes.

It wouldn't work because nobody would believe the inverse of the story.  Nobody would believe you if said "I went into a school and there was jonesboro state stuff everywhere.  All of the students were jonesboro state fans......"  There has to be a little bit of truth for the story to be funny.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogRyder

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 23, 2017, 09:30:40 pm

No one wants to play for a loser even in one the best conferences in America.  Most kids know they will not play in the nfl but they want a great college experience. I bet a great future QB will want to play behind the current o-line at Arkansas as well. 

factchecker

Quote from: HogRyder on October 23, 2017, 09:37:40 pm
No one wants to play for a loser even in one the best conferences in America.  Most kids know they will not play in the nfl but they want a great college experience. I bet a great future QB will want to play behind the current o-line at Arkansas as well.

Then why hasn't jonesboro state ever out-recruited the Hogs?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawkhawg

What are you talking about?   No one is picking the Sun Belt if they have a chance to play in the SEC.

RedRock

Quote from: LZH on October 23, 2017, 09:13:10 pm
That's funny, good for him. Gotta fight for your program. No hard feelings here.

Agreed!

cjack

Just to be clear I wasn't making any kind of statement about ASU.  I don't know their record or care. I didn't even know who their coach was, or care.  I just thought that old joke being told at the LR touchdown club by Arkansas State and getting laughs from the crowd shows how bad things are on the hill.  I think it also shows that the group there today was apathetic at best.  Sad sad times
Woooo Pig Soooie!

HogRyder

Quote from: hawkhawg on October 23, 2017, 09:42:57 pm
What are you talking about?   No one is picking the Sun Belt if they have a chance to play in the SEC.

No one is picking Arkansas if they can play anywhere else in P5.   That is if you want a chance to get through college injury free and have a good experience in college. 

In other words the doormat of the sec that lives on 3 stars is going to have a hard time getting guys that can go play at a school that has a chance to be relevant and play in front of a packed house. 

The.bottom of the sec is worse than the top half of a ton of conferences. 

hawkhawg

Quote from: HogRyder on October 23, 2017, 10:01:08 pm
No one is picking Arkansas if they can play anywhere else in P5.   That is if you want a chance to get through college injury free and have a good experience in college. 

In other words the doormat of the sec that lives on 3 stars is going to have a hard time getting guys that can go play at a school that has a chance to be relevant and play in front of a packed house. 

Maybe so but the Sun Belt is not one of those Conferences. 

LZH

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: cjack on October 23, 2017, 09:56:09 pm
Just to be clear I wasn't making any kind of statement about ASU.  I don't know their record or care. I didn't even know who their coach was, or care.  I just thought that old joke being told at the LR touchdown club by Arkansas State and getting laughs from the crowd shows how bad things are on the hill.  I think it also shows that the group there today was apathetic at best.  Sad sad times
I agree with you, it is sad. But I honestly think we will get a new coach and get the ship righted.What is it the players say "minor setback for an epic comeback" or something like that.lol

cjack

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 23, 2017, 10:06:18 pm
I agree with you, it is sad. But I honestly think we will get a new coach and get the ship righted.What is it the players say "minor setback for an epic comeback" or something like that.lol
Me too, buddy.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Farmer Hogget

HogRyder

Quote from: hawkhawg on October 23, 2017, 10:02:54 pm
Maybe so but the Sun Belt is not one of those Conferences.

If it gets to a point where playing in sunbelt as a stud on a contender in the sunbelt gives you a better shot of making it to the NFL than playing on the bottom feeder of the sec with several injuries, it then becomes a "business decision".

And let's face it, the UofA has made several decisions over the last twenty five years that limits areas to recruit from. 

Burning the SWC, telling Central Arkansas to take a hike, and Memphis is pretty much off limits now. 

The amount of money and ROI is glaring and will become a bigger problem.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hawkhawg

Quote from: HogRyder on October 23, 2017, 10:20:56 pm
If it gets to a point where playing in sunbelt as a stud on a contender in the sunbelt gives you a better shot of making it to the NFL than playing on the bottom feeder of the sec with several injuries, it then becomes a "business decision".

And let's face it, the UofA has made several decisions over the last twenty five years that limits areas to recruit from. 

Burning the SWC, telling Central Arkansas to take a hike, and Memphis is pretty much off limits now. 

Sorry man. We will just have to agree to disagree.  Arkansas football may not be very good right now but at least we get to eat at the Adult table. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 08:15:06 pm
It sucks but right now it's true.

Funny that Anderson went to a school and the majority of students were still Razorback fans.  It has to be tough knowing that the Razorbacks are "losers" but still own the state..... even Jonesboro.

Yes, 29 out of 30 were still Razorbacks according to that lame 30 year old joke. With a 2-5 record. In Jonesboro. What does that say about the Red Curs or whatever they are calling themselves this week..

Not that it will ever happen, but what would their record be against our SEC schedule?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Bardicer

Quote from: razorson on October 23, 2017, 07:18:29 pm
This guy is picking a fight. Needless to say he wont be on the list to replace Cbb. I'd rather be a loser than a freaking red wolf.

Hasn't ASU been picking a fight for like a decade now?  And doesn't UA keep running from them?  This is old hat.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 09:39:23 pm
Then why hasn't jonesboro state ever out-recruited the Hogs?

Maybe because the Razorbacks are a bigger/better program, but what matters is they have the best talent in their conference.

Lets face it at the G5 level it really is more about your team winning a conference championships and going to a bowl game, and they are doing that. Don't think many fans of middle-of-the-pack SBC teams get much of a rush chanting SBC, SBC, SBS.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Razorbax

And yet, ASU is a crap program, in a crap conference with crap support asking for crumbs falling off our table.
Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 08:49:47 pm
Yep, that's the team with "Arkansas" in it's name that is three positions above you in the Massey Composite ratings.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Our 24 spots above you in the CBS rankings.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs/130

That should get this moved to the appropriate forum.

Razorbax

That explains the 20k stadium
Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 09:16:27 pm
Well apparently there is one 2nd grader that knows.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: SooieGeneris on October 23, 2017, 10:29:53 pm
Yes, 29 out of 30 were still Razorbacks according to that lame 30 year old joke. With a 2-5 record. In Jonesboro. What does that say about the Red Curs or whatever they are calling themselves this week..

Not that it will ever happen, but what would their record be against our SEC schedule?

Not very good, but unfortunately the same answer applies if you were talking about your team.

Razorbax

Razorbax

Maybe not......But the POS program in eastern Arkansas will still be lower in the pecking order. Better not look back because UCA might be gaining for the "ole" number 2 in the state.

Razorbax

Your writing reminds me of an ASU honor grad.
Quote from: HogRyder on October 23, 2017, 10:01:08 pm

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Razorbax on October 23, 2017, 10:36:20 pm
And yet, ASU is a crap program, in a crap conference with crap support asking for crumbs falling off our table.

They are a small, relatively poor school, in a small, relatively poor state, but they are in a conference where they can win, so its really not as bad as you think. Because they are winning their program is getting a little better every year.

Razorbax

Nope, Bret only drops the spread to Hogs minus 3.......
Quote from: LZH on October 23, 2017, 10:03:47 pm
ASU would beat us by 20 points.

Razorbax

Is English your second language?
Quote from: HogRyder on October 23, 2017, 10:20:56 pm

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Razorbax on October 23, 2017, 10:41:58 pm
Maybe not......But the POS program in eastern Arkansas will still be lower in the pecking order. Better not look back because UCA might be gaining for the "ole" number 2 in the state.
Good for them, and UALR might be joining them, and UAPB  in the chase, and they will get the chance to prove it.

A-State athletics is a game, not a religion.

Razorbax

We are not comparing conferences.......We are comparing teams. As you stated, we have the "bigger/better program"..I concede the coach in your favor.....but, we know it is about the Jimmys and the Joes and we still have the better players.
Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 10:33:44 pm
Maybe because the Razorbacks are a bigger/better program, but what matters is they have the best talent in their conference.

Lets face it at the G5 level it really is more about your team winning a conference championships and going to a bowl game, and they are doing that. Don't think many fans of middle-of-the-pack SBC teams get much of a rush chanting SBC, SBC, SBS.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Razorbax on October 23, 2017, 10:50:35 pm
We are not comparing conferences.......We are comparing teams. As you stated, we have the "bigger/better program"..I concede the coach in your favor.....but, we know it is about the Jimmys and the Joes and we still have the better players.
I thought I was seconding that.

Razorbax

Cannot disagree....Congrats on being a big fish in a small pond.
Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 10:45:21 pm
They are a small, relatively poor school, in a small, relatively poor state, but they are in a conference where they can win, so its really not as bad as you think. Because they are winning their program is getting a little better every year.

Razorbax

based upon your support, not much of a "game".
Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 10:50:17 pm
Good for them, and UALR might be joining them, and UAPB  in the chase, and they will get the chance to prove it.

A-State athletics is a game, not a religion.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

factchecker

Quote from: Razorbax on October 23, 2017, 10:56:53 pm
based upon your support, not much of a "game".

Holy hell.....

A subject me and Razorbax can agree on.

Guess what....I'm ready for Bielema to be gone as well.

Who do you want to replace Bielema?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Razorbax

Not really a Gus fan......If you believe Cam was bought, Gus was either complicit in the buy or he turned a blind eye. No to HDN or his offensive doppelganger Les Miles. Probably not enough gravitas for Chip Kelly. CBP, will not happen and we can agree too divisive for us......That leaves us with a young coach. Maybe Mike Norvel, Matt Campbell or Chad Morris...A real dark horse is Frank Wilson. A great recruiter with strong SEC ties. 
Quote from: factchecker on October 24, 2017, 12:03:29 am
Holy hell.....

A subject me and Razorbax can agree on.

Guess what....I'm ready for Bielema to be gone as well.

Who do you want to replace Bielema?

Kicking Wing

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 08:15:06 pm
It sucks but right now it's true.

Funny that Anderson went to a school and the majority of students were still Razorback fans.  It has to be tough knowing that the Razorbacks are "losers" but still own the state..... even Jonesboro.
Ummm, you realize it is not a true story?  It is a joke and an old one.  Lighten up, Francis.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Sivad on October 23, 2017, 08:57:26 pm
Nobody in Arkansas or anywhere else cares whether Ark State wins or loses on Saturdays.
even knows who they are playing.

Nobody?

DeltaBoy

Little brother just kicking dirt in our face while they can.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

factchecker

Quote from: Razorbax on October 24, 2017, 07:45:42 am
Not really a Gus fan......If you believe Cam was bought, Gus was either complicit in the buy or he turned a blind eye. No to HDN or his offensive doppelganger Les Miles. Probably not enough gravitas for Chip Kelly. CBP, will not happen and we can agree too divisive for us......That leaves us with a young coach. Maybe Mike Norvel, Matt Campbell or Chad Morris...A real dark horse is Frank Wilson. A great recruiter with strong SEC ties.

I agree on Frank Wilson.  Recruiting in Louisiana would see an uptick.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dropkick

Its funny that the ASU coach is just as obsessed with the Razorbacks as his fans. Always watching and commenting on the flagship university.

Vantage 8 dude

All I can say is the world always turns; given enough time this situation will obviously change as well. Get your laughs and chuckles in now, boys. The situation WILL change at some point and you'll go back wondering about that time you were actually dreaming you could really stay with the big dogs (or Hogs).

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dropkick on October 24, 2017, 12:40:06 pm
Its funny that the ASU coach is just as obsessed with the Razorbacks as his fans. Always watching and commenting on the flagship university.

amazing how many here seem to overlook the fact that it was a FREAKING joke! ::)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.